Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   Retire the RASTA Bike? A Midlife Biking Crisis. (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/689759-retire-rasta-bike-midlife-biking-crisis.html)

jboyd 10-22-10 07:40 PM

Retire the RASTA Bike? A Midlife Biking Crisis.
 
I am considering retiring the rasta bike. I have loved this ride for the last couple of years, but recent epic failures and a more recent accident of bone breaking proportion have me lusting after a younger, more fit model.

Back in July, I set myself up for my own demise, as I hit a curb about 10" tall at about 20 mph:cry: It was dark and I thought I had cleared the rear, but I guess I was going so fast that I overestimated the lift and WHAM!!!! 5 SPOKES:( Walked home and next day, took it in for a bit of a True'ing.

Thought I had it fixed. Then over Labor Day weekend, I went to TSALI in the mountains of Western North Carolina. Me and the Rasta where 4 miles back on a single track trail at 6:30 pm and POW!!! 3 SPOKES:notamused: The wheel potato chipped and I had to carry him out in the dark, and I have an unhealthy fear of all kinds a crap:eek: and this was not a good scenario for my mental health.

Same situation in September on a local trail, about 4 miles out and POW-POW-POW. 3 Spokes again. This time, it started raining as I was walking out, and of course, no cell phone to call for help.

Finally, three weeks ago on a Saturday night (in the dark), I had a crash that resulted in broken clavicle, broken finger, and wrenched right knee and lots of missing skin:cry: And the Rasta bike suffered near equal scars, including a torn seat and a serious "filing" of my Azonic 420 platforms. (Grrr!)

So, this leads me to my potential infidelity. I was in Asheville NC last weekend (sans bike, because my body hurts to bad to ride), but I did find an awesome bike shop and test rode a GF Paragon:love:. Today, I took a Specialized Stumpjumper 29er EVO for a spin. I am feeling guilty for my lustful thoughts. I have considered hiring a hit man to off the Rasta Bike. I am out of control...Help:twitchy:

EasyEd 10-22-10 07:48 PM

You've had a run of bad luck. If I was you, I'd buy a new set of wheels. Realy good ones. Splurge a little. Then take the old girl out for a spin when you heal up. Maybee replace the seat too. If you realy love the bike,:love:It will be worth it.

jboyd 10-22-10 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EasyEd (Post 11665318)
You've had a run of bad luck. If I was you, I'd buy a new set of wheels. Realy good ones. Splurge a little. Then take the old girl out for a spin when you heal up. Maybee replace the seat too. If you realy love the bike,:love:It will be worth it.

I omitted the fact that part of my lust stems from needing some squish on the front. I have been riding the Rasta full rigid and miss a suspension fork.

I think the seat thing really bothered me the most. I was planning on transferring the seat to whatever bike came next. After this recent episode, i think I have decided to order 3 of the same seat. 2 to show and 1 to go.

My last bike transaction included trading my Giant Rainier in on the Rasta. Glad I did. I have not missed that bike a bit. But, I still have feeling for the Rasta, so in the spirit of polygamy, I will probably mount the Schwalbe Big Apples on the Rasta and use him as a hip looking buzz around town bike. According to the signatures of many here, it is ok to have two, right?

Bluetrane2028 10-23-10 05:44 AM

Going N+1 is great, until you have more bikes than you can realistically ride.

It sounds like that's what you should do here, keep this one for city use, possibly even toss some fenders on it, and get something new, perhaps even full-squish for the mountains.

For next season that's what I want to do with my current mountain bike, convert to full rigid, add some fenders and get a full squish for offroad. My back doesn't like a hardtail on trails.

Peter_C 10-23-10 07:28 AM

N + 1 baby~!

Wogster 10-23-10 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jboyd (Post 11665294)
I am considering retiring the rasta bike. I have loved this ride for the last couple of years, but recent epic failures and a more recent accident of bone breaking proportion have me lusting after a younger, more fit model.

Back in July, I set myself up for my own demise, as I hit a curb about 10" tall at about 20 mph:cry: It was dark and I thought I had cleared the rear, but I guess I was going so fast that I overestimated the lift and WHAM!!!! 5 SPOKES:( Walked home and next day, took it in for a bit of a True'ing.

Thought I had it fixed. Then over Labor Day weekend, I went to TSALI in the mountains of Western North Carolina. Me and the Rasta where 4 miles back on a single track trail at 6:30 pm and POW!!! 3 SPOKES:notamused: The wheel potato chipped and I had to carry him out in the dark, and I have an unhealthy fear of all kinds a crap:eek: and this was not a good scenario for my mental health.

Same situation in September on a local trail, about 4 miles out and POW-POW-POW. 3 Spokes again. This time, it started raining as I was walking out, and of course, no cell phone to call for help.

Finally, three weeks ago on a Saturday night (in the dark), I had a crash that resulted in broken clavicle, broken finger, and wrenched right knee and lots of missing skin:cry: And the Rasta bike suffered near equal scars, including a torn seat and a serious "filing" of my Azonic 420 platforms. (Grrr!)

So, this leads me to my potential infidelity. I was in Asheville NC last weekend (sans bike, because my body hurts to bad to ride), but I did find an awesome bike shop and test rode a GF Paragon:love:. Today, I took a Specialized Stumpjumper 29er EVO for a spin. I am feeling guilty for my lustful thoughts. I have considered hiring a hit man to off the Rasta Bike. I am out of control...Help:twitchy:

Retire a bicycle? Perish the thought, bicycles can be re-purposed though if you do a lot of off-road then that's a consideration, get a new mountain bike and turn Rasta into a city bike, new saddle, new pedals, new rear wheel, some smooth1.5" tires add fenders and a rear rack and you have a bicycle for running around town. If you have wheel problems on a 26" wheel, then forget a 29r the wheels are larger and that means not as strong....

surfjimc 10-23-10 10:46 AM

N+1
I'm up to seven. Most are from the 80's and early 90's. As long as you have the room, the $$ and the will, that new bike will be a treat.

Neil_B 10-23-10 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jboyd (Post 11665750)
I omitted the fact that part of my lust stems from needing some squish on the front. I have been riding the Rasta full rigid and miss a suspension fork.

I think the seat thing really bothered me the most. I was planning on transferring the seat to whatever bike came next. After this recent episode, i think I have decided to order 3 of the same seat. 2 to show and 1 to go.

My last bike transaction included trading my Giant Rainier in on the Rasta. Glad I did. I have not missed that bike a bit. But, I still have feeling for the Rasta, so in the spirit of polygamy, I will probably mount the Schwalbe Big Apples on the Rasta and use him as a hip looking buzz around town bike. According to the signatures of many here, it is ok to have two, right?

I knew that 60s throwback paint job would lead to free love. :-)

jboyd 10-23-10 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Historian (Post 11668852)
I knew that 60s throwback paint job would lead to free love. :-)

I love the Rasta paint job. :love: I dig the fact that it looks like Andy Worhal was commissioned by Toy-R-Us to design this paint job.

Besides, it screams at my nonconforming liberal heart.
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/IMG_1884.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/p...IMG_1893-1.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/IMG_1887.jpg

I think this is how the Rasta will spend the rest of it's life.
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/IMG_1474.jpg

I did go ride the GF 2011 Paragon again today and I am hooked. I damn near pulled the trigger. It is going to cause me to have to cheat on my LBS, but lust is a powerful emotion that I can not control:o

Hill-Pumper 10-23-10 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jboyd (Post 11669180)

...... but lust is a powerful emotion that I can not control:o

Ya, tell me about it. :lol: Someone told me to get my 29er at the first of the season after posting about my lust for it. So... may I return the favor by saying

DO IT !!!! :p

jboyd 10-24-10 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper (Post 11669730)
Ya, tell me about it. :lol: Someone told me to get my 29er at the first of the season after posting about my lust for it. So... may I return the favor by saying

DO IT !!!! :p

Oh yeah, I was your cheerleader. I forgot:rolleyes:

So, help me with my struggle, now that you have had a great ride under you this year. How is the Specialized? I am still looking at the 2011 Comp or EVO. It and the Paragon are both on the high side of my budget, but doable.

Hill-Pumper 10-24-10 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jboyd (Post 11671522)
Oh yeah, I was your cheerleader. I forgot:rolleyes:

So, help me with my struggle, now that you have had a great ride under you this year. How is the Specialized? I am still looking at the 2011 Comp or EVO. It and the Paragon are both on the high side of my budget, but doable.

Jay, I really have enjoyed the Stumpy. I found it to handle a little quicker then the GF's that I tested at the time, but I liked the Fox fork better to start with. I have dialed in the Reba fork now and like it just as well. The other bike that I liked was the Scott scale 29, it specs out about the same as the Comp or Paragon but at a lower price point. If one had been available in my size when i was looking, I may of went with it. Still, I have no regrets going with the Specialized.

Bleep 10-24-10 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EasyEd (Post 11665318)
You've had a run of bad luck. If I was you, I'd buy a new set of wheels. Realy good ones. Splurge a little. Then take the old girl out for a spin when you heal up. Maybee replace the seat too. If you realy love the bike,:love:It will be worth it.

Money on bikes is always worth it! Get the new wheels and ride it like its brand new


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:43 AM.