Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   Some Wednesday Climbing (Hwy39) Crystal Lake/Dawson Saddle (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/691124-some-wednesday-climbing-hwy39-crystal-lake-dawson-saddle.html)

Mr. Beanz 10-28-10 11:39 AM

Some Wednesday Climbing (Hwy39) Crystal Lake/Dawson Saddle
 
Finally Hillbasher dragged my butt up to Dawson Saddle. It was my first time past Crystal Lake. I must say, nice ride but it was COLD! Very windy in some section and very very cold in the shadows. "You guys are crazy!" was the comment we heard from some of the construction workers that were up there. Most dressed in hooded jackets. It was nice to see that there was help available if needed, even up in the mountains. We stopped to add layers when some of the workers drove by asking if we were ok or needed help. We were good but it was nice to know it's there! We started at the gate so our gain was a little over 4,200ft.

I did skip on the Camelback trusting Hillbasher's judgement of the spring water. I was worried but WOW that water is CLEAR! I drank it no problem. Matter of fact, it looked much better than the junk I drink at at home, at restaurants and on the trail. Not bad at all!

Man, it was COLD, did I say that already? Well once we got up to Islip Saddle, it was windy! Wow, what a nice road ACH is, not much traffic at all. A few workcrew trucks and 2 Harleys, that was about it. Heading across Angeles Crest Hwy, temps and wind settled down some. A couple of turns with some high winds really slowed our speed down, well more than what it already was haha! I started to think Uh-oh, this aint going to be good but it too settled down once we changed directions. Nice little visit at the top then down we go! At the higher elevation (Dawson Saddle 7901 top elevation), it was cold but on the return but it really warmed up to a comfortable temp on the lower section below Crystal Lake. If you go up there, better be prepared for the cold, it's much colder than GMR! On the descent, my ears got so cold that I could swear I was wearing big fashion earrings. Oh what a feeling!


http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...de/102710A.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...de/102710B.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...de/102710D.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...de/102710E.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...de/102710F.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...de/102710G.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...de/102710H.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...de/102710J.jpg

Mr. Beanz 10-28-10 11:41 AM

continued................

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...de/102710L.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...de/102710M.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...de/102710N.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...de/102710O.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...de/102710P.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...de/102710C.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...de/102710I.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...me/102710K.jpg

CraigB 10-28-10 12:06 PM

Another beautiful ride, Beanz.

Mr. Beanz 10-28-10 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigB (Post 11695852)
Another beautiful ride, Beanz.

Yes it was a very nice ride and road!:thumb: Did I mention that it was cold?:D

billydonn 10-29-10 05:23 AM

Very enjoyable... thanks!

CraigB 10-29-10 06:28 AM

I hear it was cold. ;)

Mr. Beanz 10-29-10 09:09 AM

Hahaha!:roflmao2: Thanks guys!:thumb:

engstrom 10-29-10 04:12 PM

Great video. And man, 7,900 ft. is pretty high - I hear things get cold at that altitude. :)

Mr. Beanz 10-29-10 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engstrom (Post 11703216)
Great video. And man, 7,900 ft. is pretty high - I hear things get cold at that altitude. :)

Thanks!:thumb:...Yes they do get cold up there, maybe I forgot to mention that!:D

I'm worried about that Hillbasher dude though! My first ride up that road, he told me a windbreaker would be fine. Then he pulls out a complete wardrobe including two pair of sweatpants, windpants, hockey mask, earmuffs, down jacket, nose clip, 2 extra jerseys then bundles up when it gets cold while I freeze my butt off!:eek:

MikeWinVA 10-29-10 05:56 PM

I thought you had tested a new bike saddle....lol.

Hillbasher 10-29-10 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz (Post 11703305)
Thanks!:thumb:...Yes they do get cold up there, maybe I forgot to mention that!:D

I'm worried about that Hillbasher dude though! My first ride up that road, he told me a windbreaker would be fine. Then he pulls out a complete wardrobe including two pair of sweatpants, windpants, hockey mask, earmuffs, down jacket, nose clip, 2 extra jerseys then bundles up when it gets cold while I freeze my butt off!:eek:

You forgot the electric socks, complete with rechargeable batteries.:50:

Hillbasher 10-29-10 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz (Post 11695861)
Did I mention that it was cold?:D

How cold was it Johnny,errr, I mean Mr. Beanz?:50:

Mr. Beanz 10-29-10 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeWinVA (Post 11703656)
I thought you had tested a new bike saddle....lol.

Good one! Got me for a minute, I was thinking "what's this dude talking about, I don't get it!":eek:

I'm slow at times...Dawson Saddle....:roflmao2:

TrekDen 10-30-10 08:54 AM

Stunning views, and those roads look butter smooth. I'm guessing the snow is not too far off in the future at those heights...

boy scout 161 10-30-10 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz (Post 11695612)
I did skip on the Camelback trusting Hillbasher's judgement of the spring water. I was worried but WOW that water is CLEAR! I drank it no problem. Matter of fact, it looked much better than the junk I drink at at home, at restaurants and on the trail. Not bad at all![/IMG]

WARNING GETTING ON SOAP BOX: Please don't take this the wrong way, but drinking untreated water is a really bad idea. It doesn't matter how clear it is, organisms such as Giardia, E. coli and Cryptosporidium cannot be seen with the naked eye. If you thing about the acres of watershed the water traveled before reaching the stream you will quickly realize the probablity of it being contaminated. That said, people will often say, "Hey, I drank it hundreds of time without a problem." This may be true, but when the probablities catch up with you, it won't matter how many times you didn't get sick.

So, if you want to take the risk, by all means do it. But when you're having explosive diarrhea, pooping blood, double over in pain and thinking your going to die, please don't say you weren't warned.

GETTING OF SOAP BOX

Happy and HEALTHY cycling.

Hillbasher 10-30-10 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boy scout 161 (Post 11705740)
WARNING GETTING ON SOAP BOX: Please don't take this the wrong way, but drinking untreated water is a really bad idea. It doesn't matter how clear it is, organisms such as Giardia, E. coli and Cryptosporidium cannot be seen with the naked eye. If you thing about the acres of watershed the water traveled before reaching the stream you will quickly realize the probablity of it being contaminated. That said, people will often say, "Hey, I drank it hundreds of time without a problem." This may be true, but when the probablities catch up with you, it won't matter how many times you didn't get sick.

So, if you want to take the risk, by all means do it. But when you're having explosive diarrhea, pooping blood, double over in pain and thinking your going to die, please don't say you weren't warned.

GETTING OF SOAP BOX

Happy and HEALTHY cycling.

The water source that Mr Beanz refers to is not an above ground running stream, but a spring that comes up next to the road. That keeps the possibilities of contamination down to where the chance is reasonable to take. I have drank from that spring for over 40 years, never having suffered any ill effects, or have I heard of anyone having ill effects. I don't remember where I read it, but someone with more expertise than myself did take a sample of the water and had it tested, and it came back with a glowing report. It is not as if there is a pasture with sheep or cows or horses located right above the spring, which then I could understand your concern. My question is, do you have personal knowledge of anyone that you know, getting sick from drinking from that spring, or any other water source in the San Gabriels? People are more likely to get sick in the mountains from eating food with dirty hands than they are from drinking the local water. There is no stock grazing in these hills, and the natural wildlife is not abundant enough to cause a problem. I am not saying one should not be carefull where they get their water from in the great outdoors, just that using a little common sense goes a long way. I will put my over 40 years of outside experience up against any "stories" you may have heard. Now I will climb down off my soapbox and let you have the podium. :50:

boy scout 161 10-30-10 12:42 PM

Sounds like you have it all figured out. And as I wrote "So, if you want to take the risk, by all means do it."

With your 40 years of outside experience I am sure you have taken everything into account.

Enjoy your refreshing drinks.

Mr. Beanz 10-30-10 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boy scout 161 (Post 11706245)
Sounds like you have it all figured out. And as I wrote "So, if you want to take the risk, by all means do it."

With your 40 years of outside experience I am sure you have taken everything into account.

Enjoy your refreshing drinks.


Other than riding my bike in the mtns, I'm not real familiar with mtn trivia (Hillbasher might know). But there is also a spring in Idllwild (?) along the highway. Popular spot where people driving by stop and fill waterbottles with the running water all day long. Several bottles. I never hear anything but good things about the water and is very popular with the locals. But who am I?:D

Hillbasher 10-30-10 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boy scout 161 (Post 11706245)
Sounds like you have it all figured out. And as I wrote "So, if you want to take the risk, by all means do it."

With your 40 years of outside experience I am sure you have taken everything into account.

Enjoy your refreshing drinks.

Well I see one thing Scouting didn't do was teach you how to read, because what I said was "The water source that Mr Beanz refers to is not an above ground running stream, but a spring that comes up next to the road. That keeps the possibilities of contamination down to where the chance is reasonable to take." Nowhere did I suggest I had " taken everything into account." Your advice about not drinking untreated water is not a bad rule of thumb, but just like Scouting, it's not right all the time. It's been fun.:50:

boy scout 161 10-30-10 04:55 PM

No, Scouting didn't teach me how to read. That skill was learned in Elementary School.

Clearly you have taken offense to my post. Why, I am not sure. But I regret I have offended you.

Ironically, the reason I wrote you had taken everything into account was your statement regarding the source you were drinking from was a Spring and the risk was acceptable to you.

So again. Didn't mean to offend. And once again, enjoy your refreshing drink.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:00 AM.