Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-11, 08:58 PM   #1
bbeasley 
Cat 5 field stuffer
Thread Starter
 
bbeasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hammond, La
Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First Century fitness help please

Am I ready for a flat 100 miler? It's April 9th and the max time allowed is 7.5 hours (13.3 MPH).

All this is on flat land:

5 months and 1800 miles of cycling experience.
80 to 120 miles per week (this week I went 150)
My week generally consists of 3 or 4 15 - 20 mile rides and one 35 - 60 miler.
I can ride 50 miles averaging 16 MPH.
My longest ride to date is 65 miles.

I'll be riding a 75 mile charity event on March 20th as a tune up. This one has a few rolling hills.

I've learned what and when to eat and drink. At 50 miles I'm not crashing.

Saddle comfort: I can and do ride up to 20 miles without padded cycling shorts. I've never attempted to go further but feel I could. Over 20 and I put on the padded bib shorts. At the end of 50 miles I don't have any discomfort issues.

Back Pain: I seem to experience mild mid to lower back discomfort (feels like my muscles are tightening up) around the 35 mile mark. I stretch and move around but it stays with me. I think the stem might be a bit long but I'm hesitant to start changing stuff as it's minor.

Am I ready? Do I need to change my training routine? What should my target time/speed be?

Thanks!
bbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 09:17 PM   #2
mkadam68
Senior Member
 
mkadam68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 30 minutes North-West of Los Angeles.
Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.
Posts: 3,678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds good so far. I would advise getting the back pain looked at though.
mkadam68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 09:24 PM   #3
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA
 
FrenchFit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 3,033
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeasley View Post
Am I ready for a flat 100 miler? It's April 9th and the max time allowed is 7.5 hours (13.3 MPH).

All this is on flat land:

5 months and 1800 miles of cycling experience.
80 to 120 miles per week (this week I went 150)
My week generally consists of 3 or 4 15 - 20 mile rides and one 35 - 60 miler.
I can ride 50 miles averaging 16 MPH.
My longest ride to date is 65 miles.

I'll be riding a 75 mile charity event on March 20th as a tune up. This one has a few rolling hills.

I've learned what and when to eat and drink. At 50 miles I'm not crashing.

Saddle comfort: I can and do ride up to 20 miles without padded cycling shorts. I've never attempted to go further but feel I could. Over 20 and I put on the padded bib shorts. At the end of 50 miles I don't have any discomfort issues.

Back Pain: I seem to experience mild mid to lower back discomfort (feels like my muscles are tightening up) around the 35 mile mark. I stretch and move around but it stays with me. I think the stem might be a bit long but I'm hesitant to start changing stuff as it's minor.

Am I ready? Do I need to change my training routine? What should my target time/speed be?

Thanks!
Experiment with the reach; you have time. What's annoying at 35m can be total breakdown at 70m. Shermer's neck is a fine example of what can go wrong. If you are good at the end of your charity ride you're on track for your century.
FrenchFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 09:25 PM   #4
hammond9705
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 1,417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looks like you are ready. Just watch the rest stops. Don't stop at all of them, and don't stop for long. The 13.3 average assumes you don't stop at all. If you spend an hour total stopped, you would need to average over 15 mph riding.
hammond9705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 09:32 PM   #5
Homeyba
Senior Member
 
Homeyba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Coast, California
Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think people way over estimate the difficulty of doing a century, especially a flat one. You could probably do it right now. Having said that, the more you train the easier and less painful it will be. Your endurance is probably fine what I would work on between now and then would be speed.

As far as your back goes, it's probably one of two things. Either the drop to your bars is too low or you just need to do some core exercises to strengthen your back muscles.
Homeyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 09:45 PM   #6
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Work to resolve the back problem. Otherwise you are ready.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 11:08 PM   #7
B.Alive
Randonneur in Training
 
B.Alive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SW PA
Bikes: 2010 Jamis Coda Sport "The Coda!"
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Solving the back problem might be core related.

Planks and side planks worked wonders for my back....
B.Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-11, 11:55 PM   #8
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeyba View Post
I think people way over estimate the difficulty of doing a century, especially a flat one.
+1.....If you've done 60, you can do the 100. You've built yourself up to a 60 miler without crashing so add something solid at mile 60-65, you'll finish like a pro!

I like a turkey sandwich or similar, really makes a big difference IME.

Add the fact on a charity ride, you can find lots of wheels to carry you through as far as drafting.

JUST DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T shoot out of the gates like a rocket trying to hold a pace of other riders. Start ez, work into it, you'll pass several of the "out of the gate" rocket riders! Finish strong.
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 07:56 PM   #9
bbeasley 
Cat 5 field stuffer
Thread Starter
 
bbeasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hammond, La
Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did 75 miles today ( a personal best ) at 15.5 with zero discomfort. I suspect I bought my bike at least 1 size to big. I'm 5'8" with a 32" cycling inseam. My bike is a 56cm. On the 75 miler, I refrained from using the drops or even the hoods, other than for braking/shifting. Instead I limited my hand positions to the straight bars and curves. No back pain at all. I'm using a 90mm stem and have a 70mm coming.

Ride the hoods and back pain at 35 miles.
Ride a couple of inches back from the hoods and go 75 miles with no pain.

On another subject: It's now been 5 months since my first 1.5 mile ride that ended with me wheezing on the couch for 30 Min afterward. This forum has been my constant source of motivation and I just wanted to say thanks again!
bbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 10:52 PM   #10
RossThompson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You should be good to go. Work on the back pain, play with hand positions, raise and lower your bars. Get all your "tuning" out with a couple weeks to get use to your final adjustments and dont adjust multiple things at once.

My first century I leaned that stopping is good, however dont stop too much and for too long. Get off, fill your bottle grab a banana or whatever and eat it ON the bike. I stopped enough, but sat too long making the getting going hard and added about 2.5hrs to the ride.
RossThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-11, 07:22 AM   #11
bbeasley 
Cat 5 field stuffer
Thread Starter
 
bbeasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hammond, La
Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossThompson View Post
You should be good to go. Work on the back pain, play with hand positions, raise and lower your bars. Get all your "tuning" out with a couple weeks to get use to your final adjustments and dont adjust multiple things at once.

My first century I leaned that stopping is good, however dont stop too much and for too long. Get off, fill your bottle grab a banana or whatever and eat it ON the bike. I stopped enough, but sat too long making the getting going hard and added about 2.5hrs to the ride.
I was very aware of the stopping issue on my 75 mile test run. I stopped 3 times for a total of 27 min. The 3 stops were bathroom breaks or eating 1/2 a turkey sandwich standing up. I never sat down and rested. Despite my efforts that stopping time really adds up.
bbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-11, 09:17 AM   #12
Street Pedaler
Senior Member
 
Street Pedaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NW Louisiana
Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 (RIP), 2013 Trek Domane 5.9
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Beasley, sounds to me like you're well on your way to knocking a Century out. I haven't done one yet but that's what I'm hoping to get into as well. Congrats on your progress, so far. That's awesome. Good luck and GIDDYUP!
Street Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-11, 11:19 AM   #13
rdtompki
Senior Member
 
rdtompki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hollister, CA
Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
Posts: 3,962
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks like you shouldn't have a problem, but I'm curious about the 7.5 hour cutoff which even for a flat century is a very early cutoff. Many folks will be doing a flat century as their first without your level of preparation. They will want to spend more time at the rest stops, may experience cramping, etc. What sort of organization puts this on and how many cyclists are they expecting?
rdtompki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-11, 11:22 AM   #14
callmeclemens
Senior Member
 
callmeclemens's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southern New Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Id say you're ready. I did my first Century last year (on my fixie) A month before I did a 66 mile ride and felt great, I was told just to keep up my normal routine and I could do the Century, and I did. So good luck and have fun out there.
callmeclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-11, 09:38 PM   #15
bbeasley 
Cat 5 field stuffer
Thread Starter
 
bbeasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hammond, La
Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
Looks like you shouldn't have a problem, but I'm curious about the 7.5 hour cutoff which even for a flat century is a very early cutoff. Many folks will be doing a flat century as their first without your level of preparation. They will want to spend more time at the rest stops, may experience cramping, etc. What sort of organization puts this on and how many cyclists are they expecting?
I was told it's a local bike club. I don't have any idea on expected turnout. Here is the URL to the event:

http://natchezcenturyride.racesonlin...y&page_id=2884
bbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 03:24 PM   #16
Sayre Kulp 
Bulky Bullet
 
Sayre Kulp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition
Posts: 1,103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That does sound like a rather early cutoff, so expect the pace to be pretty quick. But otherwise, it sounds like you will be just fine. The best piece of advice I can offer is just to listen to your body and give it what it needs. You are the powerplant that's going to get you to the finish, so make sure you take in the right amounts and types of fuel and lubrication.
__________________
"Obstacles don't like me very much. I make them look bad."
Sayre Kulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 07:08 AM   #17
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeasley View Post
I was told it's a local bike club. I don't have any idea on expected turnout. Here is the URL to the event:

http://natchezcenturyride.racesonlin...y&page_id=2884
That cutoff time is absurdly early.

But it's a moot point anyway. They have no legal right to remove a cyclist from a public road or MUP. The "all riders will be SAGGED" part is sabre-rattling; they can't force you into the truck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 08:12 AM   #18
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.
 
jethro56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mattoon,Ill
Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
Posts: 2,022
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
That cutoff time is absurdly early.

But it's a moot point anyway. They have no legal right to remove a cyclist from a public road or MUP. The "all riders will be SAGGED" part is sabre-rattling; they can't force you into the truck.
I think the thread on dealing with dogs might have some other uses.
jethro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 08:32 AM   #19
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro56 View Post
I think the thread on dealing with dogs might have some other uses.
My friend Phil, who can ride all day at 10 MPH, carries something from the vehicle code with him. He had to argue with people on the MS City to Shore one year because they tried to get him off the road after their 'cutoff.'
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 10:29 AM   #20
RichardGlover
2nd Amendment Cyclist
 
RichardGlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cary, NC
Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex
Posts: 1,036
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
My friend Phil, who can ride all day at 10 MPH, carries something from the vehicle code with him. He had to argue with people on the MS City to Shore one year because they tried to get him off the road after their 'cutoff.'
I always carry something with me to deal with people who try to kidnap me or otherwise force me to do something I do not wish to do.
RichardGlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 11:06 AM   #21
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.
 
jethro56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mattoon,Ill
Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
Posts: 2,022
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
My friend Phil, who can ride all day at 10 MPH, carries something from the vehicle code with him. He had to argue with people on the MS City to Shore one year because they tried to get him off the road after their 'cutoff.'
I keep having a vision of using a boat horn in this situation.

Last edited by jethro56; 02-09-11 at 11:32 AM.
jethro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 11:11 AM   #22
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardGlover View Post
I always carry something with me to deal with people who try to kidnap me or otherwise force me to do something I do not wish to do.
Phil doesn't carry, I think. And I'm not sure the MS City to Shore people would approve.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 02:02 PM   #23
bbeasley 
Cat 5 field stuffer
Thread Starter
 
bbeasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hammond, La
Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since I started this thread my confidence level is way up. I've done two 70 mile plus rides in 5 days without any drama. I guess I just needed a few of you to say "GO".
Thanks!

Now it's about speed. I know I can knock down 100 flat miles at better than 15 MPH. With the group dynamic and continued training I'm shooting for better than 16 MPH for the century.
bbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 02:29 PM   #24
Jamesw2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston TX area
Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Aggressor, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus
Posts: 812
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
go for it. you are at the point i need to be

I am at a point where i can ride 70 miles but at only 10 mph average. Trying to get a mile per hour increase is proving to be difficult for me. I am able to ride at a Heart Rate of 140 bpm and when it hits 160 i back down.

My experience with riding is to check the wheels when you stop for loose spokes. Loose spokes, and broken spokes, have turned a good ride into torture. I find the loose spoke when I am putting the bike away.
Jamesw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 08:24 AM   #25
adrien
Senior Member
 
adrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear
Posts: 1,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Have you tried a shorter stem? If you can get comfy on the hoods and drops, you will add a little speed as you'll cut through the wind. The other question is whether you're drafting at all, and riding with anyone you trust to trade off the lead with you. I've done solo centuries (unsupported) and organized / in groups with buds. Solo is a good 1/3 harder, and takes more out of you without the drafting factor...to say nothing of the motivation.
adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:43 PM.