Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Spring...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY state
    My Bikes
    See Signature...
    Posts
    1,220
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Spring...

    When is it going to get here? I have a Sirrus and my "custom" SS Rockhopper that want to get out and play. I also need to re-build my rear wheel on my MTB so I don't break any more spokes on it. Of course I have other things to pay for before that, car insurance, car payment, speeding ticket (my first ever, and gonna be my LAST for a long long time-made it almost 12 years without one, got in a hurry, and got a ticket ) But 32 new spokes are on my list of things to buy before spring, although I am going to try to go all SS this year on the canal path. That might be a bad idea, might be a great idea, more to come on that I haven't been out on snowshoes in over a week, more like two now (I think?) because, well, its either been TOO cold, or just haven't been feeling good, in a seasonal downtime (not quite depression). Maybe I will wake up tomorrow in time to get out for a 2 mile snowshoe hike...

    I might have to break out the "beater bike" once the roads are clear enough to ride on. Sirrus stays inside until enough rains have fallen to wash all the salt off the roads. That is still 2 months or more away, however. I also found there is a trail leading to the lake that is basically a rail to trail. Hilly, but safer than the roads. 6 mile ride (one way) for burger and beer

    Sorry just had to rant a little. I hate winter I picked a good year to get a Subaru, for sure, been snowy!

    I also want to get the Kayaks out, but that is for another day...Didn't even use my solo kayak last year. Gonna change that, too!
    2012 Diamondback Podium 2 - Ready for spring! :D
    1995 Specialized Rockhopper Rigid - SS converted!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,942
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nymtber View Post
    When is it going to get here? I have a Sirrus and my "custom" SS Rockhopper that want to get out and play. I also need to re-build my rear wheel on my MTB so I don't break any more spokes on it. Of course I have other things to pay for before that, car insurance, car payment, speeding ticket (my first ever, and gonna be my LAST for a long long time-made it almost 12 years without one, got in a hurry, and got a ticket ) But 32 new spokes are on my list of things to buy before spring, although I am going to try to go all SS this year on the canal path. That might be a bad idea, might be a great idea, more to come on that I haven't been out on snowshoes in over a week, more like two now (I think?) because, well, its either been TOO cold, or just haven't been feeling good, in a seasonal downtime (not quite depression). Maybe I will wake up tomorrow in time to get out for a 2 mile snowshoe hike...

    I might have to break out the "beater bike" once the roads are clear enough to ride on. Sirrus stays inside until enough rains have fallen to wash all the salt off the roads. That is still 2 months or more away, however. I also found there is a trail leading to the lake that is basically a rail to trail. Hilly, but safer than the roads. 6 mile ride (one way) for burger and beer

    Sorry just had to rant a little. I hate winter I picked a good year to get a Subaru, for sure, been snowy!

    I also want to get the Kayaks out, but that is for another day...Didn't even use my solo kayak last year. Gonna change that, too!
    Well, if Wednesday morning Willie sees his shadow, he heads back into his hole and pulls the hole in after him, six more weeks of winter, if he doesn't see his shadow, then ...... It's an early spring, yeah right, technically winter last 7 more weeks, whether the groundhog says so or not. Really though there are 13 weeks to winter, six of them are done, there are 6 to go after this one, that means we are half way through winter, and the worst of it should be done. Considering we are supposed to add another 15-30cm of snow this week, but today is supposed to be the coldest, it's -18℃/0℉ at the moment....

    My one bike is on the trainer, I got new wheels for it, in the mail the other day, but those are waiting for spring installation.
    The other bike is in the basement in pieces while I get it cleaned up and ready for spring, which is sometimes the best way to deal with being unable to ride in the winter, when you take a bike apart for cleaning, you remember the rides together, it's like riding them all over again.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    2013 Trek Domane 5.9
    Posts
    125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up in Wisconsin, so I feel your pain. I used to hate this time of year. Cold and grey all the time. You are ready for winter to end, but there are still 6 weeks left. And by 6, I mean 12.

    I remedied the situation by moving south to Atlanta. I rode 31 miles in a 68 degree sunny bliss yesterday. It is nice to have snow for the holidays (and we did this year), but it is nicer to have short, mild winters.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    439
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oddly, in my part of Sweden, things are melting like crazy. Warmest January on record. Granted, I'm sure a snow storm is going to come and rebury the roads any time now.

  5. #5
    Senior Member jeneralist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Adventure 400; 1983 Trek 620; Bilenky Ti Tourlite
    Posts
    677
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
    Well, if Wednesday morning Willie sees his shadow, he heads back into his hole and pulls the hole in after him, six more weeks of winter,

    If you, kind sir, could have a talk with Wiarton Willie -- I'm sure some of the Pennsylvania crew here could persuade Punxsutawney Phil to keep his eyes closed!
    - Jeneralist

    See video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv4CrEEg_N4 to see me in the Outrageous Outfit Challenge for the MS Society; or go straight to http://goo.gl/bALZDg to donate

  6. #6
    Senior Member callmeclemens's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southern New Jersey
    Posts
    205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear this guys, I live in Southern New Jersey, but thus year it may as well just be antartica. Theres been consistantly ice and snow on the road since mid december, and my bikes have been sitting in my back room collecting dust, I just registered for the ACS 2011 Century option in July, trying to fill my schedule with rides now. I just can't wait to get out there. I was in New Orleans in November and I took an awesome 30+ mile ride with some locals, that was my last good ride to date.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,942
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeneralist View Post
    If you, kind sir, could have a talk with Wiarton Willie -- I'm sure some of the Pennsylvania crew here could persuade Punxsutawney Phil to keep his eyes closed!
    Okay, no shadow for Willie, we had a blizzard for groundhog day, he couldn't see anything, shadow or otherwise, the snowbanks along the road are now nearly 1 1/2 metres, and the one beside my walkway is nearly as high.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •