Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    You gonna eat that? Doohickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Posts
    14,020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Getting over hibernation?

    Shortly after I joined BF in 2008, I dropped out of C&A. Shortly after that, however, I rejoined the club.

    A little background: In 2005 I lost 70 lb. in 6 months on the South Beach Diet. Back then I wasn't riding. I'm 6'-2" and went from 238 to 168. As recently as late 2008 I was still under 200 lb. During the holidays my riding decreased and my goodie intake increased and I topped out around 230. 230 is the point in my head where alarm bells go off because it is close to my max. Granted, that is not as heavy as some on this forum, but for me personally that's the weight where I start to feel pretty lousy.

    Since then, I've started eating vegetarian dinners with my wife (who's been veggie for a few years now) and now that the winter weather has eased up I'm back on the bike, doing almost 90 miles over the last three days. I got on the scale this morning and weighed in at 222, the lowest I've been since Christmas.

    Hopefully I'm finally getting out of my hibernation funk and will get some momentum to get back out of the Clydes. I'd like to get down to about 190. We'll see how it goes.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



    Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

  2. #2
    Non sibi sed patriae thestoutdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    North Ridgeville, OH
    My Bikes
    2012 Surly Ogre (Shrek), 1985 Raleigh Kodiak, 1995 Specialized Hard Rock, 2009 Citizen Miami
    Posts
    636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go Doohickie, it sounds like you are on the right track. I can't wait to see your certificate from Mr. Stormcrowe.
    2013 Health Goals

    Walk 1,200 miles
    Bike More
    Hike More
    Move More
    Eat Less.



    http://thestoutdog.blogspot.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/TheStoutdog

  3. #3
    You gonna eat that? Doohickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Posts
    14,020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might already have one somewhere, but I should turn it back in.

    Part of my issue is that since I'm cycling I'm also eating more. Some of that is justified. But here's how it works in actuality: I end up cycling *some* of the time, but once the habit is formed, I'm eating more *all* of the time. I think doing the veggie meals with the wife is breaking that cycle.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



    Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

  4. #4
    Senior Member Seattle Forrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    11,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you like Indian food? Chana masala is easy enough to make, and I suspect lots of other Indian food is, too. It's the best vegetarian food on earth.
    Don't believe everything you think.

  5. #5
    Uber Goober StephenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dallas area, Texas
    Posts
    10,707
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the most miles in January that I've ever had in a month, but February is way off the mark so far.

    And meanwhile, I'm down to 210 as of the last weigh-in.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

  6. #6
    Senior Member exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 1999 Jamis Exile
    Posts
    2,852
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once the weather really starts getting nice your wife will start begging you to be home by dinner.

    Yesterday the high here reached 55F. I saw at least 5 other cyclist besides myself. Today the high is 25F and I haven't seen anyone.
    lil brown bat wrote:
    Wow, aren't other people stupid? It's a good thing that we're so smart. Yay us.

  7. #7
    Senior Member skilsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Victoria, Canada
    My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Posts
    1,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    168 lbs is too light for a 6'2" frame.
    Think about a gradual reduction and new lifestyle at around 190.
    I think that will be bang on for the height and weight charts.

    Good luck on your second journey south.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

  8. #8
    You gonna eat that? Doohickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Posts
    14,020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
    And meanwhile, I'm down to 210 as of the last weigh-in.
    Wow, that's awesome, Stephen. When we rode the Turkey Roll together a couple years back, I kind of sized you up as being a little heavier than I am... now you got me by more than 10 lb!

    Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
    168 lbs is too light for a 6'2" frame.
    Think about a gradual reduction and new lifestyle at around 190.
    I think that will be bang on for the height and weight charts.

    Good luck on your second journey south.
    Yep, everything you say is true. At 168, people were asking me if the chemo was going okay (well, not quite, but you could tell they wanted to ask). I didn't feel healthy as I did at a little more than that. I tried to gain back to about 190, but when I reached 190, my weight just kept creeping up.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



    Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

  9. #9
    You gonna eat that? Doohickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Posts
    14,020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Down 2 pounds since last week to 220. Eating vegetarian dinners seems to be helping, plus since it's just me and my wife at home we don't have oodles of snack foods around. I often start prowling the kitchen a couple hours after dinner, but lately there just isn't anything sweet to sneak, so I don't.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



    Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •