Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member bassjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9-4
    Posts
    932
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    6 of one, half dozen of the other - UGH

    I was diagnosed with low testosterone a while ago which has contributed to my weight issues over the years. I am now on androgel, which is on one hand increasing my ability to gain muscle, which will help lose body fat and weight. On the other hand, it is playing crazy tricks with my appetite, which is becoming voracious lately. With winter still in full force here, my bike still on layaway and not being able to get a trainer right now anyway, my only exercise has been walking at the mall every morning. I've gained some weight back this winter as a result - not a whole lot, but 15-20 lbs... Due to a death in the family, no OT the past 2 weeks, so no extra money for paying down the bike either... Just a temporary setback, but UGH!

  2. #2
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bassjones View Post
    I was diagnosed with low testosterone a while ago which has contributed to my weight issues over the years. I am now on androgel, which is on one hand increasing my ability to gain muscle, which will help lose body fat and weight. On the other hand, it is playing crazy tricks with my appetite, which is becoming voracious lately. With winter still in full force here, my bike still on layaway and not being able to get a trainer right now anyway, my only exercise has been walking at the mall every morning. I've gained some weight back this winter as a result - not a whole lot, but 15-20 lbs... Due to a death in the family, no OT the past 2 weeks, so no extra money for paying down the bike either... Just a temporary setback, but UGH!
    I'm sorry to read of your loss, bassjones.

    However, your rebound is just a reminder of what you need to do. You will get things under control again.

  3. #3
    Watching and waiting. jethro56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mattoon,Ill
    My Bikes
    Trek 7300 Giant Sedona E-Bike Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
    Posts
    1,977
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I going to take a guess and say you've become very efficent at walking. Muscle memory has taught you how to expend the least amount of energy to walk. It's time to switch to something else and let your body forget how to walk efficently. I don't know what's available to you but my first thought was stair climbing. It doesn't really matter what you change to but it's time to confuse your body. After you get good at whatever you switch to throw in walking again but realize that soon you'll be back to efficent walking. Maybe it'll be bicycle weather by then. I have 6 activities I'm constantly throwing at myself and it only takes about 10 days before muscle memory comes back for me.

  4. #4
    Senior Member bassjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9-4
    Posts
    932
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starting P90X tomorrow, so that should shake things up a bit

  5. #5
    Watching and waiting. jethro56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mattoon,Ill
    My Bikes
    Trek 7300 Giant Sedona E-Bike Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
    Posts
    1,977
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like much of what P90X program teaches. My concern with it is hunger control. For me,intensity brings hunger. I haven't bought the program so maybe the ads I've seen don't go into it far enough. Not saying it's wrong. Just my concerns.

  6. #6
    Rain, rain go away john423's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    East TN
    My Bikes
    2009 Schwinn Sierra GS; 2010 Specialized Allez Elite Compact; 2009 Jamis Coda Comp
    Posts
    351
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bassjones View Post
    Starting P90X tomorrow, so that should shake things up a bit
    Smart move. If I were on a testosterone booster (and I've often wondered if I should be, and I need to be a lot more proactive about getting a doctor on the problem), I'd be finding some kind of way to be lifting weights. At least if you give in to your voracious appetite a little bit, you'll possibly be putting on muscle, which is never a bad thing. I'd do a traditional in-gym weightlifting program, but P90X is better than nothing by a longshot.

  7. #7
    Starting over CraigB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Posts
    4,081
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro56 View Post
    I going to take a guess and say you've become very efficent at walking. Muscle memory has taught you how to expend the least amount of energy to walk. It's time to switch to something else and let your body forget how to walk efficently. I don't know what's available to you but my first thought was stair climbing. It doesn't really matter what you change to but it's time to confuse your body. After you get good at whatever you switch to throw in walking again but realize that soon you'll be back to efficent walking. Maybe it'll be bicycle weather by then. I have 6 activities I'm constantly throwing at myself and it only takes about 10 days before muscle memory comes back for me.
    This reminded me of a book I read several years ago about speed walking - how it's better for burning calories than jogging because once you reach a certain velocity walking, it's easier on the body to break into a trot. If you continue walking at speeds greater than that "breaking point," you're forcing your body to perform in an inefficient manner.

    I never tried it, but on a logical level it makes some sense.
    Craig in Indy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •