Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Building a bike.

    Well after some setbacks due to medical reasons I wont be able to ride for at least 6 months on the rode. Alas I want to to be around bikes still. I want to buy a road bike frame and piece together my very own road bike. What kind of frame should I be looking for that is clyde friendly. Also does anyone have experience with this Im looking for some books that relate to this.

    Hopefully this turns out to be just what I need to stick around cycling until I am able to tackle the local hills again.

    Ty in advance

  2. #2
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this one interesting. Even if you don't build your own frame...

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/145365058X

  3. #3
    Senior Member exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 1999 Jamis Exile
    Posts
    2,853
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on your weight, almost any frame should work well. Just make sure you get a size that is the right fit.

    A lot of sites or books would be helpful. Zinn and the Art of Roadbike maitenance is usually a good choice. You also have sites like bicycle tutor, Sheldon Brown, and Park Tools.

    Do you have a budget or particular type of riding you have in mind?
    lil brown bat wrote:
    Wow, aren't other people stupid? It's a good thing that we're so smart. Yay us.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im on a budget atm due to medical bills so I will be lurking craigslist and buying pieces I need here and there. I don't expect this project to be done quickly as Im using it to tide me until I can get back on the road. Maybe 500ish total. Im thinking by using craigslist and e-bay to my advantage I can get everything I need. My doctor atm is in a sports medicine office so I will ask him about bike fitting so I can get a proper frame. Other then that seems like its one piece at a time.

  5. #5
    of Clan Nrubso ChrisO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kitsap
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F400, Surly LHT,Motobecane Le Champion Ti, Novara Veloce
    Posts
    377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend considering a steel frame; they ride smooth, you'll never outgrow it and it can last a lifetime. If you're wanting to buy something new, Soma makes some nice frames, www.Somafab.com so does Surly www.surlybikes.com. Neither company will ding your pocketbook too much. Craigslist is your friend though, there are good deals to be had if you can lurk long enough.

  6. #6
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross
    Posts
    11,348
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can find a late 80s - mid 90s Trek on CL or E-bay, I've found mine to be a really solid performer. And I pulled my '88 Trek 400 from a dumpster!
    They're one of the companies that made a production 64cm frame, if you're of the giganti-clyde persuasion and need such a thing.

    What size frame do you need? I've got a 58cm laying around that I can't do anything with.
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer older chromoly frames I rode aluminum and I cant phantom riding it daily. The steel is much smoother. Also I ride 58cm on roadies. I currently ride a hybrid bike and according to the sizing its way to small for me. Not sure about the sizing diferrences of a hybrid vs a road bike. Im thinking about using my hybrid for commuting 5-10 miles I just found out today that it was 2 frame sizes smaller then what I should be riding so doubt it would be comfortable 10+ miles.

    P.S. About the frame you have heck 58 cm is perfect for me if your willing to msg me some info on it would be great.

  8. #8
    Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,307
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadlay View Post
    Well after some setbacks due to medical reasons I wont be able to ride for at least 6 months on the rode. Alas I want to to be around bikes still. I want to buy a road bike frame and piece together my very own road bike. What kind of frame should I be looking for that is clyde friendly. Also does anyone have experience with this Im looking for some books that relate to this.

    Hopefully this turns out to be just what I need to stick around cycling until I am able to tackle the local hills again.

    Ty in advance
    This bike looks like a good deal for the money! Way cheaper than self built at the end of the day.

    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_523024_-1___


    If you like it then don't hesitate 'cause at this price they won't last long............
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

    Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    St. Cloud, MN
    My Bikes
    Soma Double Cross DC, Salsa Vaya, Redline D440, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Posts
    582
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    This bike looks like a good deal for the money! Way cheaper than self built at the end of the day.

    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_523024_-1___


    If you like it then don't hesitate 'cause at this price they won't last long............
    kind of defeats the purpose of building a bike to stay involved, anyways I ride a soma double cross and love it. Would like one size smaller but love it anyways. Nice powder coat, smooth as silk, room for big tires fenders and disk brakes

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digger531 View Post
    kind of defeats the purpose of building a bike to stay involved, anyways I ride a soma double cross and love it. Would like one size smaller but love it anyways. Nice powder coat, smooth as silk, room for big tires fenders and disk brakes
    haha true true

    Yeah Im looking at my current hybrid and alot of the stuff still will be usuable. My wheelset is fairly nice with new tires tubes. My seat is still very good. Got a full drivetrain from 91' but it is in remarkable condition. (shimano altus set. will probably upgrade but hey beggers cant be choosers.) Figure I could get a road bike frame and some handlebars. Transfer over the drivetrain and build off of that replacing stuff as I need to or replacing stuff I cant use from my current bike.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CliftonGK1 View Post
    If you can find a late 80s - mid 90s Trek on CL or E-bay, I've found mine to be a really solid performer. And I pulled my '88 Trek 400 from a dumpster!
    They're one of the companies that made a production 64cm frame, if you're of the giganti-clyde persuasion and need such a thing.

    What size frame do you need? I've got a 58cm laying around that I can't do anything with.
    Saw the frame you had it would be perfect for what I need. I read your message but alas I have less then 50 post and cant respond to your pm. I am willing to cover the shipping charges if you let me know how I can go about doing that. I have never shipped anything before so im lost as whats needed to be done. I have a paypal account or I can go to western union if need be. My email is chrisperez2008@att.net might be better to pm me there then on forums since I can't pm you back till I hit the 50 post marks. Thanks in advance I appreacite it.

  12. #12
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross
    Posts
    11,348
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadlay View Post
    Saw the frame you had it would be perfect for what I need. I read your message but alas I have less then 50 post and cant respond to your pm. I am willing to cover the shipping charges if you let me know how I can go about doing that. I have never shipped anything before so im lost as whats needed to be done. I have a paypal account or I can go to western union if need be. My email is chrisperez2008@att.net might be better to pm me there then on forums since I can't pm you back till I hit the 50 post marks. Thanks in advance I appreacite it.
    I'll email you. Glad this frame is going to good use finally!
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •