Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    I Ride, Therefore I Am BigUgly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Central, PA via Philthadelphia
    Posts
    490
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Gluten Free Clyde...

    Are there any Gluten Free Clydes on the forumn? Having an allergy to gluten(wheat) is something that has effected other members(mom,sister) of my family but not me until now. My daughter was diagnosed as positive and as a result I am getting tested even though there are no symptoms. I have been reading and researching about this and it can wreak havoc on your body, especially your intestines, if it is undetected and you can be asypmtomatic. The prelim tests came back positive and I need to have it confirmed by them, as the kids put it, by shoving a hose down my throat So it looks like I have it. I was just curious if any others came across this. The good news is that if you remove it from your diet then your intestines heal and all is well again. I am certainly going to miss the beer and cheesesteaks but I am sure there are subsitutes out there. The more we talk to people the more we find.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
    Posts
    6,942
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigUgly View Post
    Are there any Gluten Free Clydes on the forumn? Having an allergy to gluten(wheat) is something that has effected other members(mom,sister) of my family but not me until now. My daughter was diagnosed as positive and as a result I am getting tested even though there are no symptoms. I have been reading and researching about this and it can wreak havoc on your body, especially your intestines, if it is undetected and you can be asypmtomatic. The prelim tests came back positive and I need to have it confirmed by them, as the kids put it, by shoving a hose down my throat So it looks like I have it. I was just curious if any others came across this. The good news is that if you remove it from your diet then your intestines heal and all is well again. I am certainly going to miss the beer and cheesesteaks but I am sure there are subsitutes out there. The more we talk to people the more we find.

    I have a friend with a gluten allergy, there are often substitute products, like rice flour instead of wheat flour, if it runs in the family, then other members should be able to help.... So a cheese steak made with gluten free bread is a possibility, as to beer, not sure there is a replacement, although your better off without drinking all those calories anyway.

  3. #3
    I Ride, Therefore I Am BigUgly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Central, PA via Philthadelphia
    Posts
    490
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Thanks for that suggestion. I most likely have celiacs. Get the endoscopy to confirm in April. Since my youngest has been diagnosed my wife has been very vigilant on finding gluten free foods and calling manufacturers. We have been amazed at the amount of foods that are gluten free and the available resources to obtain gluten free foods. We read this book called 'Dangerous Grains' and its amazing the amount of problems this could potentially cause.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Wavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Breaking my promise...

    While gluten doesn't affect me, eating North American wheat is a bad idea anyway. It's a hybridized grain that sticks in the gut and makes us fat. That's one reason the Western diet makes those who use it fat. Yes, sugar and sodium are part of that too, and for another thread.

    For empty calories I prefer my own red wine. If you prefer beer try Bud Select. Bud is made from rice, and Select is the low-calorie low-carb rice beer. I prefer Rolling Rock, but since my SO can't eat wheat, I'm getting along on Select.

    Geez, I hope none of the assclowns from years ago attack me for daring to talk about diet on this forum. I'm a Clyde by height and muscle weight -- not fat. After a particularly nasty thread years ago I promised myself I'd never talk diet with fat people who don't appreciate it. Let's see if things have changed.
    “Next time you're in your car, at 80 Kilometers per hour, strip down to your underwear and jump out. That's what it's like to crash in a professional bike race.” - Jonathan Vaughters

  5. #5
    Senior Member socalrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Upland, CA
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
    Posts
    5,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember Gluten Free does not mean Carb free.. Gluten is actually a protein. There are so many gluten free products available, you should be fine..

    Vitacost.com has an incredible selection available.

  6. #6
    I Ride, Therefore I Am BigUgly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Central, PA via Philthadelphia
    Posts
    490
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wavy View Post
    While gluten doesn't affect me, eating North American wheat is a bad idea anyway. It's a hybridized grain that sticks in the gut and makes us fat. That's one reason the Western diet makes those who use it fat. Yes, sugar and sodium are part of that too, and for another thread.

    For empty calories I prefer my own red wine. If you prefer beer try Bud Select. Bud is made from rice, and Select is the low-calorie low-carb rice beer. I prefer Rolling Rock, but since my SO can't eat wheat, I'm getting along on Select.

    Geez, I hope none of the assclowns from years ago attack me for daring to talk about diet on this forum. I'm a Clyde by height and muscle weight -- not fat. After a particularly nasty thread years ago I promised myself I'd never talk diet with fat people who don't appreciate it. Let's see if things have changed.
    You callin' me fat?!?!?

    I don't think this really qualifies as a 'diet' discussion because it's not about losing fat.

    I think beer is going to be the toughest to change. I really like beer. I am not a fan of Budweiser products though. I like the hoppier beers. Bud makes a gluten free beer called Red Bridge which imo is lousy. There seems to be alot of others I haven't tried yet. Bards and some German beers are gluten free. I used to homebrew and there is a not-wheat based malt I would like to try and then I can hop it up to add some flavor.

    The more I find about eating wheat the more I feel everyone should be avoiding it. From reading, this issue with gluten started in the Mediterainian area a long time ago. It weeded itself out by natural selection and spread up to northern europe which is the nationality of the majority of people affected. Every child in Italy is tested for gluten intolerence. The US gov't will not do anything about it here in the states because agriculture is such a huge industry and wheat/gluten is in so many things! It can be in soaps, toothpastes, shampoos. There are also so many illnesses both physical and mental that can be traced back to gluten. In tears apart your intestines and then your body is absorbing things it shouldn't be and then your body tries to fight them off and then your immune system becomes weaker over time. So many things: juvenile diabetes, depression, schizophrenia ADHD, autism, cancers, etc. The list is pretty big.

    The way I look at it is that if avoiding gluten could possibly add 10 years to my life that I will adjust. I am considering myseld lucky that it was dicovered now instead of 10-15 years from now when a more serious health issue could crop up due to it being undetected.

  7. #7
    I Ride, Therefore I Am BigUgly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Central, PA via Philthadelphia
    Posts
    490
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
    Just remember Gluten Free does not mean Carb free.. Gluten is actually a protein. There are so many gluten free products available, you should be fine..

    Vitacost.com has an incredible selection available.
    We are discovering all the great gluten free products that are available. Thanks for the link.

  8. #8
    Senior Member socalrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Upland, CA
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
    Posts
    5,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigUgly View Post
    We are discovering all the great gluten free products that are available. Thanks for the link.
    My wife needs gluten free items and we found there website to have an amazing selection..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •