Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-11, 05:25 PM   #1
Fletch521
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Fletch521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Loves Park, Illinois
Bikes: 1897 Crescent Tandem, 1904 Rambler shaft drive, 1921 Schwinn Henderson, 1958 Schwinn Tiger, 1973 Raleigh International, 1982 Trek 420, 2010 Trek 720
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And my blood sugar is...

I went to the walk in clinic the other day for a D.O.T. physical and my blood sugar was 518...

I have never tested high before
Fletch521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 06:59 PM   #2
Aahzz
Senior Member
 
Aahzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Union, KY (Near Cincinnati)
Bikes: Giant Rincon, Giant Sedona ST
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are they scheduling a follow-up A1C test? 518 is pretty damn high. I just got the diagnosis in February myself, and it sucks, but it's also going to save my life.
Aahzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 07:09 PM   #3
thcri
Senior Member
 
thcri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North of Mayo Clinic Minnesota
Bikes: Trek 820 Madone 6.2. Trek 2.1
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
March 14th 2010 I ended up in the emergency room due to some digestive problems. I was diagnosed Type 2 with a reading of 300. My A1c was in the 9 range. Today I am off all insulin/meds and my A1c is 5.3. For me it was riding bike that got me back in line. Best wishes to you. I hope all works out for you and you get your blood sugar back in line.
thcri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 07:27 PM   #4
Aahzz
Senior Member
 
Aahzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Union, KY (Near Cincinnati)
Bikes: Giant Rincon, Giant Sedona ST
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thcri View Post
March 14th 2010 I ended up in the emergency room due to some digestive problems. I was diagnosed Type 2 with a reading of 300. My A1c was in the 9 range. Today I am off all insulin/meds and my A1c is 5.3. For me it was riding bike that got me back in line. Best wishes to you. I hope all works out for you and you get your blood sugar back in line.
As I learn more, I'm finding it interesting how different people react. You were in the emergency room with a blood sugar of 300, I felt fine (I thought) with and initial reading of 350 and an A1c of 11.1. I am, however, feeling awesome on metFormin, and my eyesight has improved - I hadn't even realized how bad it had been getting.
Aahzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 07:44 PM   #5
Fletch521
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Fletch521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Loves Park, Illinois
Bikes: 1897 Crescent Tandem, 1904 Rambler shaft drive, 1921 Schwinn Henderson, 1958 Schwinn Tiger, 1973 Raleigh International, 1982 Trek 420, 2010 Trek 720
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had all the follow up test thursday, Find out more Monday.
Fletch521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 09:58 PM   #6
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahzz View Post
As I learn more, I'm finding it interesting how different people react. You were in the emergency room with a blood sugar of 300, I felt fine (I thought) with and initial reading of 350 and an A1c of 11.1. I am, however, feeling awesome on metFormin, and my eyesight has improved - I hadn't even realized how bad it had been getting.
I have a co-worker who is diabetic and hit 300 a couple of years ago. That's about 100 less than her weight in pounds....
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 10:47 PM   #7
eja_ bottecchia
Senior Member
 
eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 3,520
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thcri View Post
March 14th 2010 I ended up in the emergency room due to some digestive problems. I was diagnosed Type 2 with a reading of 300. My A1c was in the 9 range. Today I am off all insulin/meds and my A1c is 5.3. For me it was riding bike that got me back in line. Best wishes to you. I hope all works out for you and you get your blood sugar back in line.
Ditto here. For years I had been battling high A1c readings and ballooning weight--all to no avail.

Since I began riding my bike in earnest last summer, my A1C is down to 6 and I have dropped 50 pounds.

A reading of 500 is super high and it can lead to serious and potentially life-ending results.

Please track your BG and work to lower those numbers. Diabetes is an insidious disease. You can feel fine for years and then all of the sudden things take a turn for the worst.

I watched my own Mom die at a relatively young age due to complications from years of poorly controlled diabetes.

Don't let it happen to you...
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 12:39 AM   #8
ecovelo
Senior Member
 
ecovelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Bikes: 83' Centurion Accordo Mixte, 87' Bertoni Italamerica, 92' Trek 930 Singletrack, 92' Cannondale M1000, 06' Cannondale Rush, 10' Salsa Vaya
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch521 View Post
I went to the walk in clinic the other day for a D.O.T. physical and my blood sugar was 518...

I have never tested high before
Did they draw your blood and have a lab test it? Or was it one of those Point of Care (bedside) devices?

518 is critical in my neck of the woods - with blood drawn and a measurement by a chemistry (controlled and calibrated) analyzer, not the POC testers. In fact 400 and greater is considered critical. Definitely take this very seriously....
ecovelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 10:46 AM   #9
sstorkel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
Posts: 5,426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecovelo View Post
518 is critical in my neck of the woods - with blood drawn and a measurement by a chemistry (controlled and calibrated) analyzer, not the POC testers. In fact 400 and greater is considered critical. Definitely take this very seriously....
Operated properly, today's hand-held glucose meters are very accurate. If I were the OP's doc, I wouldn't be waiting around for more test results before doing something to bring his blood sugar back to normal...
sstorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 11:44 AM   #10
Wogster
Senior Member
 
Wogster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstorkel View Post
Operated properly, today's hand-held glucose meters are very accurate. If I were the OP's doc, I wouldn't be waiting around for more test results before doing something to bring his blood sugar back to normal...
The Doc should have scheduled an A1C blood test, the problem with the hand held testers is that they need to be taken at the right time.
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 01:22 PM   #11
thcri
Senior Member
 
thcri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North of Mayo Clinic Minnesota
Bikes: Trek 820 Madone 6.2. Trek 2.1
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahzz View Post
As I learn more, I'm finding it interesting how different people react. You were in the emergency room with a blood sugar of 300, I felt fine (I thought) with and initial reading of 350 and an A1c of 11.1. I am, however, feeling awesome on metFormin, and my eyesight has improved - I hadn't even realized how bad it had been getting.
Yeah I felt fine too. I was in the emergency room for another reason. They just happen to check me while there. After being given three shots per day of Novolog and one shot per night on Lantus I at first had problems with my eyesight. That went away after two weeks. I was told it was a result of my fluid in my eyes clearing up now that my BS was down. But today and two months after being diagnosed I am completely off any insulin or medication. Just eating right, dieting and riding and riding and riding. Dang did I say I love the riding part.
thcri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 01:29 PM   #12
thcri
Senior Member
 
thcri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North of Mayo Clinic Minnesota
Bikes: Trek 820 Madone 6.2. Trek 2.1
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
The Doc should have scheduled an A1C blood test, the problem with the hand held testers is that they need to be taken at the right time.
That is one thing about the Mayo Clinic, They took my A1C and had the results in an hour. When they tested me high they turned right around and did the A1C immediately.

Here is my results three months later after changing my life style and my weight is now down 84 pounds, 16 to go. I dont' want to be a Clyde anymore

Total cholesterol is 155
triglycerides 87
HDL cholesterol 46
LDL 92.
hemoglobin A1C is 5.3
thcri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 02:21 PM   #13
sstorkel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
Posts: 5,426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
The Doc should have scheduled an A1C blood test, the problem with the hand held testers is that they need to be taken at the right time.
NO!

A blood sugar of 518, which is approximately 5X normal, is serious medical condition that needs to be treated immediately. Leaving it untreated for any length of time risks diabetic ketoacidosis, diabetic coma, and other life-threatening complications.

I've been an insulin-dependent diabetic for the last 29 years. If I saw 518 on my hand-held meter, I would double-check the reading (ex: using a spare meter, using a different package of test strips, or checking for ketones in my urine). If the second check confirmed the reading, I would either: 1) head to the hospital, 2) take medication to lower my blood sugar, or 3) do both.

Once your blood sugar is under control then a doctor might order an A1c test to determine if it has been out of control for an extended period of time, which is an indicator for diabetes.
sstorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 03:01 PM   #14
Wogster
Senior Member
 
Wogster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto (again) Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Norco Bushpilot (out of commission), Raleigh Delta
Posts: 6,941
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstorkel View Post
NO!

A blood sugar of 518, which is approximately 5X normal, is serious medical condition that needs to be treated immediately. Leaving it untreated for any length of time risks diabetic ketoacidosis, diabetic coma, and other life-threatening complications.

I've been an insulin-dependent diabetic for the last 29 years. If I saw 518 on my hand-held meter, I would double-check the reading (ex: using a spare meter, using a different package of test strips, or checking for ketones in my urine). If the second check confirmed the reading, I would either: 1) head to the hospital, 2) take medication to lower my blood sugar, or 3) do both.

Once your blood sugar is under control then a doctor might order an A1c test to determine if it has been out of control for an extended period of time, which is an indicator for diabetes.
Your a diagnosed diabetic who is regulated, I would expect that if you got that kind of reading, you would be in serious trouble, someone who is not a diagnosed diabetic and is not on a diabetic medication, could be in much less trouble. Give me half a large pizza, a large coke and follow that up with an ice cream sundae with chocolate sauce and a cherry on top, and I could show you a 400 an hour later (I know, I have done it ), now two hours after that and it's perfectly normal, because I am not a diabetic, and yes I have had an A1C to prove it. A single large reading, does not mean that a person is diabetic and any doctor who diagnoses diabetes on a single hand held test, should lose his licence.
Wogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 05:47 PM   #15
b_young
Support JDRF
 
b_young's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Arkansas
Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son was 540 when he was diagnosed as Type1. They had us in ICU within hours of the lab results and then childrens for about a week. I am with sstorkel, I can't believe they didn't do anything about it at the time.
b_young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 05:48 PM   #16
myrridin
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 2,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wogsterca View Post
Your a diagnosed diabetic who is regulated, I would expect that if you got that kind of reading, you would be in serious trouble, someone who is not a diagnosed diabetic and is not on a diabetic medication, could be in much less trouble. Give me half a large pizza, a large coke and follow that up with an ice cream sundae with chocolate sauce and a cherry on top, and I could show you a 400 an hour later (I know, I have done it ), now two hours after that and it's perfectly normal, because I am not a diabetic, and yes I have had an A1C to prove it. A single large reading, does not mean that a person is diabetic and any doctor who diagnoses diabetes on a single hand held test, should lose his licence.
One can have a normal A1C and still be a diabetic. While not a doctor, my understanding is that a blood glucose reading of 140 or higher two hours after your last meal or higher than 100 if you are fasting is abnormal. Your body should maintain your blood glucose below those levels. If it isn't than you are diabetic, which to my understanding means that your body is not regulating blood glucose normally.

From what I've read on the subject, the morbidly obese are almost always diabetic; howver, they may be asymptomatic...
myrridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 06:18 PM   #17
RunningPirate
Senior Member
 
RunningPirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Millbrae, CA
Bikes: 1970? Dawes Galaxy, 1992 Biscayne Lazer (Stolen, those SOB's), 1999 Specialized FSR Elite (soon to be cannibalized), 2011 Raleigh Record Ace, 197? Bob Jackson Frankenbike, 1989 Jamis Diablo (to be built with parts from the FSR)
Posts: 636
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The important thing is that a) they caught it and b) you weren't experiencing any symptoms (read: damage) at the time.

Actually, strike that - the important thing is that you address the matter presently; don't mess around with this. Make the changes (diet, exercise) and you can do just fine the rest of your life.

Now, work-wise, what are the rules in IL about diabetes and being a commercial driver? I know that in CA, they'd pull your license (that was 20 to 25 years ago, mind you). For your sake, I hope you're still able to work.

I watched my father die a long, vivid death due to unchecked diabetes (he continued to drink, smoke and eat the wrong stuff, after diagnosis). My mother and brother have been diagnosed as something called "pre-diabetic"; that ain't happening to The Pirate, that's for damn skippy.
RunningPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 06:25 PM   #18
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrridin View Post

From what I've read on the subject, the morbidly obese are almost always diabetic; howver, they may be asymptomatic...
That's something I escaped when I was 400 pounds. My blood sugar readings were never out of whack, despite my weight.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 06:36 PM   #19
cohophysh
fishologist
 
cohophysh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Bikes: Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thcri View Post
That is one thing about the Mayo Clinic, They took my A1C and had the results in an hour. When they tested me high they turned right around and did the A1C immediately.

Here is my results three months later after changing my life style and my weight is now down 84 pounds, 16 to go. I dont' want to be a Clyde anymore

Total cholesterol is 155
triglycerides 87
HDL cholesterol 46
LDL 92.
hemoglobin A1C is 5.3
so you lost 84 lbs in 3 months or is that over a longer time frame....how did you change your diet?
__________________
We cannot solve problems with the same level of consciousness that created them. A.E.

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R
www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
http://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx


cohophysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 06:55 PM   #20
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohophysh View Post
so you lost 84 lbs in 3 months or is that over a longer time frame....how did you change your diet?
I think the OP meant his blood readings were from three months after March 2010, when he had his wake-up call. He's lost 84 pounds over the past year. And three cheers for him for doing so!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 07:08 PM   #21
cohophysh
fishologist
 
cohophysh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Bikes: Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
I think the OP meant his blood readings were from three months after March 2010, when he had his wake-up call. He's lost 84 pounds over the past year. And three cheers for him for doing so!
that makes sense
__________________
We cannot solve problems with the same level of consciousness that created them. A.E.

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R
www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
http://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx


cohophysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 08:39 PM   #22
Fletch521
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Fletch521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Loves Park, Illinois
Bikes: 1897 Crescent Tandem, 1904 Rambler shaft drive, 1921 Schwinn Henderson, 1958 Schwinn Tiger, 1973 Raleigh International, 1982 Trek 420, 2010 Trek 720
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The 518 reading was about 9:00 AM on an empty stomach. I don't remember exactly when my last meal was before the test but was before midnight. I haven't had a D.O.T. medical card in years and was taking the physical because I was going to drive one day a week. I wont be getting one now, or at least until I can get this under control.

I've lost 65 pounds over the last two years since I bought the bike without any dieting. I am still 300 and was planning to loose another 40-60, now maybe 80-90. When I was younger and fresh out of Marine Corps boot camp I was a lean 240. Now I am 52 and my weight maxed out about 400 15 years ago. For the last ten years or so its gone back and forth between 340 and 370 until I started riding. This winter I only gained back 2 of the pounds I lost last season.
Fletch521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 09:01 PM   #23
b_young
Support JDRF
 
b_young's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Arkansas
Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did they treat your high? Have you check it lately?
b_young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 09:21 PM   #24
thcri
Senior Member
 
thcri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North of Mayo Clinic Minnesota
Bikes: Trek 820 Madone 6.2. Trek 2.1
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohophysh View Post
so you lost 84 lbs in 3 months or is that over a longer time frame....how did you change your diet?
The blood test results are 3 months after being diagnosed. The 84 pounds is from March 14th 2010 to today March 20th 2011.

My big change in eating was mostly the amount of food I ate at each meal. At home I don't use our larger plates anymore. I divide my plate up in half and then half again. Top half is my greens, one quarter is my starches and the other quarter is my meats. I count all of my calories. I stay away from the Fast Food joints. Do a lot of my own cooking. I have stopped snacking and eating snickers candy bars. I am averaging work outs of 500 calories per day. With summer coming and being able to ride outside I expect that to go up again like last summer.
thcri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 09:24 PM   #25
thcri
Senior Member
 
thcri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North of Mayo Clinic Minnesota
Bikes: Trek 820 Madone 6.2. Trek 2.1
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
I think the OP meant his blood readings were from three months after March 2010, when he had his wake-up call. He's lost 84 pounds over the past year. And three cheers for him for doing so!
Thank you
thcri is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:14 PM.