Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-22-11, 11:23 PM   #1
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tues Ride Vid and Pics

Tues....03/22/11....Getting cabin fever, had to go out an hope it didn't rain today. For once the weather dude was right, no rain ha ha! Quickly ran into FryDaddy finishing up his 3T time trial with the Boyz. He had his recorder so he followed me up for bit for a little video chat. Hmm, sounds like he has a plan for a major movie in the works.

So I continued fiddling up the mountain getting passed by some hardcore looking riders. If I'm not mistaken, I might have heard that the local races are near. Seems that this time of year, the riders on GRM are superfast. Then I ran into Jerry and Linda at Newman's Point. Taking a few pictures with snow capped mountains in the background. I had to stop for a little chat, cool couple.

Hit the landing just above the shack, stopped for some pics then headed down. Ran into John heading up on an MTB. He was riding up looking for a few snow pics of is own. Heck, I took advantage of it and asked him to shoot a pic of me with the city in the background. While stopped there, a couple riders riders flew by and called out Beanz. I thought it was Keith but now I'm not so sure cause he looked smaller in the video. Got a still of the guys so maybe they'll fess up ha ha!
















Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 12:46 AM   #2
freighttraininguphill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northern California
Bikes:
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOVE those GMR vids

Yeah, I've about had it with rain We were spoiled with perfect weather for a while, now it's back to these types of "climbing" rides:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...in-a-flat-area

Oh well, at least it keeps me from losing fitness.
freighttraininguphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 06:45 AM   #3
rjc100
Senior Member
 
rjc100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Jackson, MI
Bikes: Lemond Croix DeFer
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here in Michigan, we had one good day last week and one this week, but now back to 30's and freezing rain.
Your pictures makes my cabin fever even stronger.
Thanks
rjc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 07:11 AM   #4
iforgotmename
Senior Member
 
iforgotmename's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NE Ohio
Bikes:
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My solution for rain is a rain suit and fenders Nice vid.

Last edited by iforgotmename; 03-23-11 at 07:15 AM.
iforgotmename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 01:00 PM   #5
freighttraininguphill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northern California
Bikes:
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iforgotmename View Post
My solution for rain is a rain suit and fenders Nice vid.
That works great around town, but my road bike isn't made for fenders and rain takes all the fun out of a climbing ride.

By the way, I actually made two videos with music on them:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ight-loss-ride

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...y-principles-p

I didn't get any comments from you on either one. You're slackin'
freighttraininguphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 01:15 PM   #6
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freighttraininguphill View Post
That works great around town, but my road bike isn't made for fenders and rain takes all the fun out of a climbing ride.

By the way, I actually made two videos with music on them:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ight-loss-ride

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...y-principles-p

I didn't get any comments from you on either one. You're slackin'


Oooooo how dare you! Who do you think gave you the thumbs upsises? I did post a comment on the rain ride too. I even went all the way over ther to youtbe to post it!
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 01:29 PM   #7
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iforgotmename View Post
My solution for rain is a rain suit and fenders Nice vid.
I did have a rigid MTB that I had set up with slicks or city rides. I used to ride it in the pouring rain. Since deleted the pics and I didn't have the recorder then. I didn't mind getting that one gunky although I kept it really clean too. No fenders, just plain getting rooster tail soaked was part of the fun.

But like any friend that knows you have too may bike, one talked me into selling it. Wish I hadn't. We had 11 bikes and the two that I didn't mind getting wet, I sold.

We're more likely to ride the tandem in the rain. I run the controls so I keep Gina from going down and having her on the back means I don't get the rooster tail spray haha! On some rides she rode her 84 Bianchi but Geeze I hate getting any of the bikes dirty. My bike in the Pic was the Lemond before the frame was upgraded. I bought it as a beater but since the upgrade, I can't get it wet anymore. I had other pics with the tandem in the rain but I delete them every year and start over on the current year collection.

One ride we sat under cover till the rain eased. No way will I take Gina on the road in the rain. She's known to make a little mistake here and there but on the road, a little mistake in the rain can be a big one.
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 01:33 PM   #8
freighttraininguphill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northern California
Bikes:
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
Oooooo how dare you! Who do you think gave you the thumbs upsises? I did post a comment on the rain ride too. I even went all the way over ther to youtbe to post it!
LOL! Ooh, you're slick Thank you!

PS: who do you think gave you the thumb up too As soon as I saw it last night I was on it With the snow on top, your view shots look like a much better version of what I see up here at the top of Salmon Falls Road, only your mountains are much closer than ours.


my road bike at top of Salmon Falls Road climb by kittyz202, on Flickr

That tiny smear of white is the snow-capped mountains. Sad, I know

It was cool to see FryDaddy's version of the same video. Now I know what you look like climbing from another person's POV
freighttraininguphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 01:39 PM   #9
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freighttraininguphill View Post
LOL! Ooh, you're slick Thank you!

PS: who do you think gave you the thumb up too As soon as I saw it last night I was on it With the snow on top, your view shots look like a much better version of what I see up here at the top of Salmon Falls Road, only your mountains are much closer than ours.


my road bike at top of Salmon Falls Road climb by kittyz202, on Flickr

That tiny smear of white is the snow-capped mountains. Sad, I know

It was cool to see FryDaddy's version of the same video. Now I know what you look like climbing from another person's POV
Haha, I saw a thumb go up even before I viewed it. If that was you, dang, you are quick with a capitol "Q". Later I got another form FD. Most times a comment will be a tip of who gave the thumb. Sometimes I just don't know what to say though.

I not sure I like FD's recorder, it adds like 50 pounds. Hope his new one is better

Pretty cool though what he was talking about on the ride, doing an MTB ride and combining the footage for a super video. Calling it "BeanzFry Productions".

Yeha, the mtns are nice views but the clouds add to the picture in many cases. And when you are in the mtns, you are in the cluds.

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 03-23-11 at 01:42 PM. Reason: my ypting uksay
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 01:53 PM   #10
freighttraininguphill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northern California
Bikes:
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
Haha, I saw a thumb go up even before I viewed it. If that was you, dang, you are quick with a capitol "Q". Later I got another form FD. Most times a comment will be a tip of who gave the thumb. Sometimes I just don't know what to say though.

I not sure I like FD's recorder, it adds like 50 pounds. Hope his new one is better

Pretty cool though what he was talking about on the ride, doing an MTB ride and combining the footage for a super video. Calling it "BeanzFry Productions".

Yeha, the mtns are nice views but the clouds add to the picture in many cases. And when you are in the mtns, you are in the cluds.
If FD did his thumb up after me, then the first one was definitely me. BTW good freight training in that view shot So far Sunday looks good weather-wise, so I hope to do another climb ride on a road I haven't been on since November. It will be raw though I put the music on the parts that I knew people wouldn't miss much on, so that means flat rides are good music rides, especially when riding through boring, quiet neighborhoods.

I have almost the same camera as FD, but I don't use it for my ride videos. I use it for recording races as a spectator. I don't like the autofocus though. It never seems sharp. His new GoPro is much smaller and lighter, so it's perfect for ride videos.
freighttraininguphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 01:58 PM   #11
freighttraininguphill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northern California
Bikes:
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
One ride we sat under cover till the rain eased. No way will I take Gina on the road in the rain. She's known to make a little mistake here and there but on the road, a little mistake in the rain can be a big one.
That was me the day I recorded the flooding footage video. I got caught in a sudden downpour/hailstorm and had to run for cover underneath a freeway overpass
freighttraininguphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 02:08 PM   #12
exile
Senior Member
 
exile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Binghamton, NY
Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 1999 Jamis Exile
Posts: 2,857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so jealous of you guys. You have to climb mountains to see snow? And to top it off, you bring cameras so you can take pictures of it. All I have to do is look out my window.

Today through tomorrow we have a "Winter Weather Advisory in effect".



(Are you sure the camera adds 50 lbs and not Gina's cooking?)
exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 02:13 PM   #13
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exile View Post
(Are you sure the camera adds 50 lbs and not Gina's cooking?)
It was one of those "I finished 3rd in my race category" type comments. You aren't s'posed to ask how about the number of participants.

I wish I could see snow out my window. I would ride in it but I'd have the right equipment. Here, the right equipment would sit in the closet 360 day a year.

I can't view your attachment.
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 02:14 PM   #14
exile
Senior Member
 
exile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Binghamton, NY
Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 1999 Jamis Exile
Posts: 2,857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freighttraininguphill View Post
That was me the day I recorded the flooding footage video. I got caught in a sudden downpour/hailstorm and had to run for cover underneath a freeway overpass
To everyday commuters those downpours/hailstorms are a spa treatment. We learn to think of them as gentle massages or exfoliates. My skin would be glistening if I could feel it.
exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 02:17 PM   #15
exile
Senior Member
 
exile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Binghamton, NY
Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 1999 Jamis Exile
Posts: 2,857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow_323_1.jpg (69.8 KB, 6 views)
exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 02:18 PM   #16
freighttraininguphill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northern California
Bikes:
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
I not sure I like FD's recorder, it adds like 50 pounds. Hope his new one is better
You should see the video my friend mrRhwalden (his YouTube name) recorded of me climbing Ski Run Blvd in Lake Tahoe last summer. I look morbidly obese in that video, yet here I am climbing up to a 21% grade, with less freight training than the first time I climbed it in August. I'm definitely not photogenic
freighttraininguphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 02:20 PM   #17
freighttraininguphill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northern California
Bikes:
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exile View Post
To everyday commuters those downpours/hailstorms are a spa treatment. We learn to think of them as gentle massages or exfoliates. My skin would be glistening if I could feel it.
Yeah, but hail hurts! Of course I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt that day. Maybe if it was raining when I left and I was wearing a rain jacket it wouldn't hurt.
freighttraininguphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 02:32 PM   #18
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exile View Post
To everyday commuters those downpours/hailstorms are a spa treatment. We learn to think of them as gentle massages or exfoliates. My skin would be glistening if I could feel it.

Yeah, we are lucky we don't have to deal with that,. But if we did, we'd be better dressed for the weather. I myslef get cold with the altitude. End of October we rode up to the nearly 8000 ft point. I had a windbreaker but geeze it was freezing on the descent. Eventhough the sun was shining we hit 40 mph winds on the climb which casue a pretty good chilling effect. On the descent my ears were so frozen that it felt like I had those big costume jewelry earrings on. Coldest I ever was had to be on a 5,000 ft pouring rain descent on GMR soaking wet with no windbreaker etc. Rain caught us by surprise and temps dropped to 30 degreees. In either case, I know the proper equipment would make a huge difference.

We have some people tease us about the cold but remember, we are used to climbing in 100 temps so not being acclimated to the cold aint one of our strong points. We get our revenge when summer comes. When it's 85 outside, they're inside with the AC while we're out climbing 5,000 ft in 100 degreee temps.



Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 02:40 PM   #19
freighttraininguphill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northern California
Bikes:
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
That grade behind you looks like it could produce some good freight training if I climbed it I wonder how steep it is?

Gina should get you a Garmin for your birthday
freighttraininguphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 02:50 PM   #20
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freighttraininguphill View Post
That grade behind you looks like it could produce some good freight training if I climbed it I wonder how steep it is?

Gina should get you a Garmin for your birthday
She offered one but I got the Flips instead, 2 of em.

That grade was the easy part of this climb, pretty much at the top......looking for some graphs to post

Meh! Mapmyride has made it a pain in the butt to get a good graph for a pic.

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 03-23-11 at 03:09 PM.
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 02:52 PM   #21
exile
Senior Member
 
exile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Binghamton, NY
Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 1999 Jamis Exile
Posts: 2,857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freighttraininguphill View Post
Yeah, but hail hurts! Of course I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt that day. Maybe if it was raining when I left and I was wearing a rain jacket it wouldn't hurt.
Any pics or vids of that ride? I've never heard of spontaneous wet t-shirt contests breaking out during training rides.

Besides, many of us were big fans of this post.
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ind-of-its-own
exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 02:56 PM   #22
freighttraininguphill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northern California
Bikes:
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
She offered one but I got the Flips instead, 2 of em.

That grade was the easy part of this climb, pretty much at the top......looking for some graphs to post
Two Flips? Is the other one the same color as the one in FryDaddy's vid of you? The Playsport is available in multiple colors too. I wanted purple but Best Buy doesn't keep it in stock, so I settled for the gray one.

See, cameras even make grades look steeper than they are Speaking of that, my slow ass didn't catch the "50 pound" comment immediately. Here's my response when I finally caught it. Doh!
freighttraininguphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 02:57 PM   #23
exile
Senior Member
 
exile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Binghamton, NY
Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 1999 Jamis Exile
Posts: 2,857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
Yeah, we are lucky we don't have to deal with that,. But if we did, we'd be better dressed for the weather.
None of my clothing is cycling specific except for a pair of leg warmers. And I only break those out when the temps are around 10F.

The funny thing is I am looking for work all over the country right now (From Alaska to Florida). Wherever I end up I might need to get a whole new wardrobe.
exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 02:57 PM   #24
freighttraininguphill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northern California
Bikes:
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by exile View Post
Any pics or vids of that ride? I've never heard of spontaneous wet t-shirt contests breaking out during training rides.

Besides, many of us were big fans of this post.
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ind-of-its-own


No, I wasn't recording when the downpour started (damn!) I thought about that too
freighttraininguphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 03:15 PM   #25
freighttraininguphill
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northern California
Bikes:
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
By the way, I now put the URL to my video right above the embedded video in all my posts with video. When I made this thread:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ring-on-a-bike

the poster right below me claimed I didn't put a video in my OP. Obviously he either doesn't keep his operating system or browser up to date, or he has Javascript disabled. I edited my OP to include the link, and over the weekend when the weather sucked and I had absolutely nothing better to do, I went through all my old posts and added links to any videos that were posted.

I don't know how many people have difficulty seeing embedded video, but putting the link in there probably increases your views because people with smartphones or older computers may be able to click on the links and watch.
freighttraininguphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:05 AM.