Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   WonderMonkey's Bike Workout Thread (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/726767-wondermonkeys-bike-workout-thread.html)

Null66 03-19-14 05:33 PM

Dang nice!

WonderMonkey 03-20-14 05:20 PM

Hey my bike has his own facebook page! Go like and follow along!

https://www.facebook.com/Ravi.Revenio

jsigone 03-20-14 05:46 PM

how do you like the ride? Notice the nice speed difference?

WonderMonkey 03-20-14 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 16596710)
how do you like the ride? Notice the nice speed difference?

I WILL notice the speed difference but I have not pushed it up there yet. I'm adjusting the saddle and getting things ready for my weekend camping trip. Yes, I'm taking this bike. It's a short (25 miles) outing pulling my Burley Travoy so if there is an "out of the box" failure I can call the wife if I can't deal with it. Normally I wouldn't just leap to a trip like this but my wheel is out of true on my other bike so fate says take this one.

I think my biggest two adjustments will be to the saddle and the more aggressive riding position. I know my rump is going to hurt as I really haven't been on a bike much this year and CERTAINLY not this hard little thing (that's what she said). The miles don't bother me as we are going to take it easy and mosey over there on bike paths.

RoadTire 03-22-14 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WonderMonkey (Post 16596639)
Hey my bike has his own facebook page! Go like and follow along!

https://www.facebook.com/Ravi.Revenio


Ha! Just 'liked' your bike's page and should be fun to watch. Much better than all the fools on their private soapboxes.

RoadTire 03-22-14 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WonderMonkey (Post 16596871)
Yes, I'm taking this bike. It's a short (25 miles) outing pulling my Burley Travoy so if there is an "out of the box" failure I can call the wife if I can't deal with it. Normally I wouldn't just leap to a trip like this but my wheel is out of true on my other bike so fate says take this one.

We expect to see your bike posting pictures on FB.

WonderMonkey 03-23-14 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadTire (Post 16600960)
Ha! Just 'liked' your bike's page and should be fun to watch. Much better than all the fools on their private soapboxes.

Should be fun. I won't spend a bunch of time on it but I'll get on it here and there. I'll try to make it interesting, if possible.

WonderMonkey 03-23-14 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadTire (Post 16600963)
We expect to see your bike posting pictures on FB.

Will do! He will be putting some pictures from the outing up later tonight.

WonderMonkey 03-23-14 12:52 PM

Bike camping is done. Full write-up will come later but since this is generally a workout thread I'll just throw the numbers.

First outing on new bike...
27.54 miles to get to campsite then to a local town to stock up on some water. We were prepared to do that but we were hoping the water would be turned on by now. Nope. Still a bit early for that I assume.

20.75 miles from campsite back to my friends house.

Total miles = 48.29 miles.

Furthest I have gone this year is 11 miles due to a series of flats and out of true wheels. A bit scary to take my brand new bike on this trip to shake it down but it held up nicely. A few things need adjusted which I'll address. Wind was in our faces are from the side for the majority of both days rides plus we were packing our gear so the long(ish) rides plus gear plus wind made it for a leg burning outing. Especially since there is a grueling hill at the end and I always challenge my friend to a race back to his house. I always lose but I give it all I got and by the time I coast into his driveway I'm seeing spots.

Trip report to follow.

WonderMonkey 03-23-14 02:32 PM

Ravi posted a few pictures from HIS trip.

WonderMonkey 03-24-14 05:13 PM

Bikepacking trip writeup.

http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdale...tate-park.html

WonderMonkey 03-28-14 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Weather is starting to turn! One day cold, another warmer, etc. The downside to that is that it is always windy. Probably the same in your areas. Better weather is incrementally coming!

12.27 miles on a lunch time ride.

So for the year....
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=371503

WonderMonkey 03-29-14 01:54 PM

It's raining/snowing/sleeting here today do no riding. Hopefully the paths won't be too slick tomorrow to get in some miles.

MikeRides 03-29-14 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WonderMonkey (Post 16623204)
It's raining/snowing/sleeting here today do no riding. Hopefully the paths won't be too slick tomorrow to get in some miles.

Don't let the precipitation stop you, dress warm and put on some rain gear and get out there and ride! :P

(says the person who wussed out on yesterday's commute because it was pouring)

WonderMonkey 03-29-14 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeRides (Post 16623374)
Don't let the precipitation stop you, dress warm and put on some rain gear and get out there and ride! :P

(says the person who wussed out on yesterday's commute because it was pouring)

I let it stop me when it is slick out due to the sleet and snow. I'm new to road type tires and of course this road style bike so I don't have confidence in its limits yet. My hybrid is getting fixed else I may have ventured out in that.

Also... I noticed that small print there.....

WonderMonkey 03-31-14 11:31 AM

14 mile ride during lunch. Rode with a co-worker. At the beginning of a long stretch to West Carrollton he was behind me then zoomed past. I kept up and he kept hammering. Dang! Way stronger than he was last week! Eventually I had to let him pull away. At one point he was a speck in the distance. I keep thinking about the pain he must be in holding a pace that I've never seen him attain before. To date I always held back and he would be wheezing a bit. I get near West Carrollton and he has already turned around and headed back. As he passes me I notice....... it's not him. Same basic height and build and a long sleeve shirt (not same color).

I stop at the rest area in WC and in pulls my co-worker. *I* was trying to keep up who I thought was HIM and HE was trying to keep with ME.

In the end it made a great workout. Not the kind I was looking for today but I'll certainly take it.

MikeRides 03-31-14 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WonderMonkey (Post 16628373)
14 mile ride during lunch. Rode with a co-worker. At the beginning of a long stretch to West Carrollton he was behind me then zoomed past. I kept up and he kept hammering. Dang! Way stronger than he was last week! Eventually I had to let him pull away. At one point he was a speck in the distance. I keep thinking about the pain he must be in holding a pace that I've never seen him attain before. To date I always held back and he would be wheezing a bit. I get near West Carrollton and he has already turned around and headed back. As he passes me I notice....... it's not him. Same basic height and build and a long sleeve shirt (not same color).

I stop at the rest area in WC and in pulls my co-worker. *I* was trying to keep up who I thought was HIM and HE was trying to keep with ME.

In the end it made a great workout. Not the kind I was looking for today but I'll certainly take it.

Nice story, did the guy you were trying to keep up with say anything?

WonderMonkey 03-31-14 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeRides (Post 16628536)
Nice story, did the guy you were trying to keep up with say anything?

No I don't think he even knew I was there. I have a suspicion that if he knew I was following him he could have EASILY done a wheelie and dropped me earlier.

WonderMonkey 03-31-14 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 16596710)
how do you like the ride? Notice the nice speed difference?

I certainly notice the speed difference now! First ride was pulling my camping gear but now I'm taking normal rides. The energy I expend maintaining my previous pace is MUCH lower. of course this just means I speed up!

I'm going to be doing a series of 14 mile outings this week but I'm going to start to do longer rides very soon.

jsigone 03-31-14 01:02 PM

The bike is allot more efficient and puts the rider in that position as well. Might take some time to get used to from being upright to riding in the drops. Being that much more efficient allows you to ride both longer and faster.

As with any new bike switch, don't be scared to move parts around to see how it feels, drop/raise the stem, flip the stem in either way. Do this for about month (less for you since you ride often), once you figure out what works and think you won't any change drastic besides stem change, cut that dangerous steer tube left over. I have a scar on my left leg from my CX bike with just a 1/4" sticking up when I crashed it few months ago.

I've had good luck with these Stems and they are fairly cheap, light and STRONG. But also account for stem stack height IF you cut the steer tube and change stems. Best to change stem first then cut or find one w/ a low stack height such as the ones listed

3t Arx Pro Road Stem from Bike Bling

Niner Alloy Stem from BikeBling.com

TrojanHorse 03-31-14 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WonderMonkey (Post 16628559)
No I don't think he even knew I was there. I have a suspicion that if he knew I was following him he could have EASILY done a wheelie and dropped me earlier.

Having a rabbit to chase is GREAT motivation.

Trying to shake somebody following you is nearly as great. :lol:

jsigone 03-31-14 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 16628838)

Trying to shake somebody following you is nearly as great. :lol:

but first they have to catch up :thumb: :roflmao2:

TrojanHorse 03-31-14 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 16629159)
but first they have to catch up :thumb: :roflmao2:

Some of us are more prone to that than others... :lol:

jsigone 03-31-14 04:16 PM

umm humm...I see your average speeds on the rise!!

WonderMonkey 03-31-14 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsigone (Post 16628700)
The bike is allot more efficient and puts the rider in that position as well. Might take some time to get used to from being upright to riding in the drops. Being that much more efficient allows you to ride both longer and faster.

As with any new bike switch, don't be scared to move parts around to see how it feels, drop/raise the stem, flip the stem in either way. Do this for about month (less for you since you ride often), once you figure out what works and think you won't any change drastic besides stem change, cut that dangerous steer tube left over. I have a scar on my left leg from my CX bike with just a 1/4" sticking up when I crashed it few months ago.

I've had good luck with these Stems and they are fairly cheap, light and STRONG. But also account for stem stack height IF you cut the steer tube and change stems. Best to change stem first then cut or find one w/ a low stack height such as the ones listed

3t Arx Pro Road Stem from Bike Bling

Niner Alloy Stem from BikeBling.com

I'm practicing getting in the drops on straight stretches, etc. Still not ok with doing it going down a hill!

I'm not getting what you mean by "cut that dangerous steer tube". Maybe I'd see it if I adjusted things but right now there isn't anything sticking above it that would present a problem. Do you have an image I can see to get a visual? I might understand a bit more if I could see.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:43 AM.