Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    she
    she is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    My Bikes
    A Raleigh detour 3
    Posts
    254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How often do you in the beginning?

    I wonder if I should ride 2 or 3 times a week? Just to get this body of mine moving. Am I over doing it? I'm a big girl so I wonder how much I should be doing. I ride 12 miles round trip. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member goldfinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota/Arizona and between
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Posts
    3,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you feel after your rides? The day after? If you are feeling good, ride more frequently.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    49
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes...let your body answer that question. If it feels like you're doing too much than rest. If not ride as often as you can and enjoy.

  4. #4
    Senior Member rumrunn6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    25 miles northwest of Boston
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Posts
    12,030
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it was Matthew McConaughey that said he likes to run as far as he can, and then turns around and runs back.

    The nice thing about cycling is, if you go too far you can always get off and rest; pedal back slower than when you headed out or call for backup.

    If you never fail then you're not trying hard enough.

    If it didn't test your metal then it wasn't exercise.

    If you're wondering if you can go further, then you can go further.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

  5. #5
    Nigel nfmisso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, GT, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........
    Posts
    1,010
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1st week: every other day; weekends off. (Monday, Wednesday, Friday)
    2nd week: every work day; weekends off.
    3rd week and there after: every day, including weekends.
    5th week start working on increasing your speed, and increasing your distance on the weekends.

    In a few weeks you'll be ready for that Metric Half Century (50km/31miles); and then set your sights on a full Metric Century (100km/62miles).

  6. #6
    SERENITY NOW!!! jyossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the 212
    My Bikes
    Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
    Posts
    8,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3x a week is good. Vary the distance and route to keep it interesting. Try to ride a minimum of 40 mins. when you go out.
    HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



    We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    My Bikes
    Too many to count
    Posts
    753
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started out riding every day! Some days it wasn't much of a
    ride, four or five miles.

    But as long as you keep at it, what feels right. It needs to hurt
    a little or it ain't no fun!

  8. #8
    Junior Member dfw_sparta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Irving, TX
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Adventure 3
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    12 miles round trip sounds like a good start, but as others have indicated, increase it "gradually" and have fun.

  9. #9
    Not safe for work cyclokitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0
    Posts
    2,079
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first started cycling I rode maybe 3 times per week. I also walked more on the non cycling days to get used to more physical activity. Mostly I got off the bus or subway a stop earlier than usual or walked part of the way home from work. I also got in the habit of doing light stretches during the day or standing on tiptoe while working. It's great to see how quickly your physical fitness improves from month to month! The first thing I noticed was the walk home that first took an extra 45 minutes soon only took 30 minutes. Same with bike riding: my commute was over an hour but after the first summer the commute was only about 45 to 50 minutes.


  10. #10
    Senior Member Seve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The GTA, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D
    Posts
    737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by she View Post
    I wonder if I should ride 2 or 3 times a week? Just to get this body of mine moving. Am I over doing it? I'm a big girl so I wonder how much I should be doing. I ride 12 miles round trip. Thanks!
    In addition to what the others have suggested, you might want to have a quick read through the guides here including Measuring Physical Activity Intensity.
    http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/...nes/index.html
    It should give you a pretty fair idea of what to work towards etc.

    The only thing I would add, is that I don't think I would concentrate on the miles as much as the time spent, at least to start with.

    Good luck

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pflugerville, TX
    My Bikes
    Early 1990 Trek 950 MTB and Centurian LeMans Road (new to me!)
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My work schedule is such that riding on my work days is tough (12hr shifts-not much time left for a ride). So, on my days off I will ride every day-that's 3 days one week and 4 days the next. This does get tough and if I add some longer rides in I can be pretty tired by the time my next work week comes around. However, I figured that with the 3 or 4 days of work that follow, I have plenty of time to recover so I can do it again on my days off.

    It works ok but some days, I probably should just rest but I usually do not allow myself to do that-I feel like I'm slacking if I do.

  12. #12
    she
    she is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    My Bikes
    A Raleigh detour 3
    Posts
    254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet16lg View Post
    My work schedule is such that riding on my work days is tough (12hr shifts-not much time left for a ride). So, on my days off I will ride every day-that's 3 days one week and 4 days the next. This does get tough and if I add some longer rides in I can be pretty tired by the time my next work week comes around. However, I figured that with the 3 or 4 days of work that follow, I have plenty of time to recover so I can do it again on my days off.

    It works ok but some days, I probably should just rest but I usually do not allow myself to do that-I feel like I'm slacking if I do.
    I also work 12 hour shifts. Right now its 6 days a week but its because a co woker is ill and we are all pitching in, Usually it is 5 days a week. Sometimes I'm so exhausted like yesterday that my ride is not fun going home. I was dragging and hard.

  13. #13
    she
    she is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    My Bikes
    A Raleigh detour 3
    Posts
    254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seve View Post
    In addition to what the others have suggested, you might want to have a quick read through the guides here including Measuring Physical Activity Intensity.
    http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/...nes/index.html
    It should give you a pretty fair idea of what to work towards etc.

    The only thing I would add, is that I don't think I would concentrate on the miles as much as the time spent, at least to start with.

    Good luck
    Oh good read. Its seems just 3 days a week and I go over the needed exercise! Cool.

  14. #14
    SERENITY NOW!!! jyossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the 212
    My Bikes
    Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
    Posts
    8,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do more, lose more and gain fitness faster. Work your way up to 4x a week and try to make it a habit.
    HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



    We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

  15. #15
    Senior Member Seattle Forrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    9,869
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ride every day. If your normal 12 miles is too far, do 10, or 5. But take a day off when you need to ... let it be the exception that proves the rule.
    Don't believe everything you think.

  16. #16
    Come here often? <wink> exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 1999 Jamis Exile
    Posts
    2,846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride as often as you feel like it and enjoy it. Your fitness catches up quickly enough.
    lil brown bat wrote:
    Wow, aren't other people stupid? It's a good thing that we're so smart. Yay us.

  17. #17
    Uber Goober StephenH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dallas area, Texas
    Posts
    10,536
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not killing yourself, just go ride every day.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by she View Post
    Oh good read. Its seems just 3 days a week and I go over the needed exercise! Cool.
    Needed for what?

    The guidelines are a reasonable baseline that most adults should be up for. But they're not calibrated so you'll necessarily lose weight or be able to eat whatever you want. Think of it like the minimum daily requirements on nutrients... if you get the minimum, you shouldn't end up with any deficiency diseases. But just getting the minimum is not necessarily going to leave you feeling bouncy and healthy. And just like nutrition requirements, different people will need different amounts of activity, and it is totally possible to overdo how active you are and end up sick or hurt.

  19. #19
    Senior Member WonderMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vandalia OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,053
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3-4 times a week is max for me given my schedule and how much I want to do and still be excited to be on the bike. You make go less and you may go more but I would suggest that 3 times a week be your minimum. Maybe your key is to ride further and harder each time you get out instead of riding an additional day? Who knows? Just don't force trying to do it every day or you may get tired of it and stop.

  20. #20
    Grammar Cop Condorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Papa Smurf's Lair
    My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
    If it didn't test your metal then it wasn't exercise.
    mettle, not metal. Nor meddle. You know, like pedal, peddle, and petal.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

  21. #21
    she
    she is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    My Bikes
    A Raleigh detour 3
    Posts
    254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrilin View Post
    Needed for what?

    The guidelines are a reasonable baseline that most adults should be up for. But they're not calibrated so you'll necessarily lose weight or be able to eat whatever you want. Think of it like the minimum daily requirements on nutrients... if you get the minimum, you shouldn't end up with any deficiency diseases. But just getting the minimum is not necessarily going to leave you feeling bouncy and healthy. And just like nutrition requirements, different people will need different amounts of activity, and it is totally possible to overdo how active you are and end up sick or hurt.
    I was just stating what the article says. I have been out of shape for a while and was just saying at least for now I am at least getting my minimum. I was not saying oh cool I'll just do this and I'll be healthy. I am obese and my job is not helping so I'm taking a positive step. I'm not rushing into anything. So minimum is good for me now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •