Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter Jaytron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic
    Posts
    4,218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    First century done!

    Finally got around to doing a century ride Granted it was only a metric century (turned out to be closer to 110km) I feel like I can probably do a 100mi soon. Man climbing is still my huge weakness. What are some of your climbing strategies? I feel riding OTS for us heavier riders is less efficient.

    I also ended up with sore hamstrings, I wonder if this was simply because I pushed my self hard, or it's something wrong with my riding position?
    PedalRoom

    Hey I just met you,
    and this is crazy,
    but here's my Strava,
    follow me maybe.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Victoria, BC-Canada
    My Bikes
    Specialized TriCross Comp
    Posts
    113
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the first century. Not sure about the sore hams, do you feel them on shorter rides. It is possible that when your quads and gluts got tired, your form may have changed slightly causing your hams some strain. Is it like delayed onset muscle sorness (like a gym workout) or more of a stinging type pain?

  3. #3
    Senior Member 1855Cru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    My Bikes
    2011 Trek 2.1, 2011 Cervelo R3
    Posts
    295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the century, it's a great feeling isn't it?

    Not sure about the Hams, are you trying to consciously pull up on the pedals? That would work the hams but the normal downstroke tends to work the quads more.
    http://www.ablokeandabike.blogspot.com

    2011 Cervelo R3
    2011 Trek 2.1
    2011 Trek X-Caliber
    2005 Gitane Oregon
    2000 Trek 820 Multitour

  4. #4
    Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter Jaytron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic
    Posts
    4,218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johan13 View Post
    Congrats on the first century. Not sure about the sore hams, do you feel them on shorter rides. It is possible that when your quads and gluts got tired, your form may have changed slightly causing your hams some strain. Is it like delayed onset muscle sorness (like a gym workout) or more of a stinging type pain?
    Thanks! It was quite a feat for myself.

    It was soreness for a day or two, not a stinging pain. (a little cramping during the ride, but fine after stretches)

    I definitely don't feel my hamstrings getting tired/sore on shorter rides, so I see your point. My form must've changed. I think I started pulling up more rather than pushing down on the pedals during some points that I got tired.

    I admit I was a bit worried because I had never experienced strain on my hamstrings in previous rides.


    Quote Originally Posted by 1855Cru View Post
    Congrats on the century, it's a great feeling isn't it?

    Not sure about the Hams, are you trying to consciously pull up on the pedals? That would work the hams but the normal downstroke tends to work the quads more.
    Felt awesome! I think I could have done the full 100mi century. It was mind over matter at that point I think.

    I did notice that I was trying to pull up more as my quads got tired later in the ride. That must've been it. Thanks guys!
    PedalRoom

    Hey I just met you,
    and this is crazy,
    but here's my Strava,
    follow me maybe.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Seve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The GTA, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D
    Posts
    737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the ride, well done.

    The hamstrings could be telling you that maybe a a few electrolytes / vitamins and most certainly water might be absent, especially if you are getting some cramping. Just a thought.

    For hills and I'm no shining star there either, I try to stay in the saddle and occasionally get out to vary the routine or for a short burst.
    Sounds trite, but improving my attitude towards hills, and forcing myself to find a sustainable pace has helped. I guess it means I have gone to lower gears quicker and not been concentrating so much on speed as keeping a pace that I feel I can manage to maintain for the duration of the hill. Also, focusing on tiny parts of the hill and not the whole thing at once seems to have a favourable impact on me.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seve, I see you are riding a Cervelo RS. Do you feel the RS made a difference in climbing hills compare to other bikes?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! I just completed my first metric this weekend as well. I was definitely a lot more sore after this ride as well so I feel your pain. lol

  8. #8
    already soaked perspiration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    My Bikes
    2011 Surly Crosscheck, 2014 Novara Randonee
    Posts
    272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! I'd love to do my first one sometime soon. How fast were you averaging and how long did it take?
    If it's peace you find in dying, and if dying time is near,
    Just bundle up my coffin 'cause it's cold way down there!

  9. #9
    Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter Jaytron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic
    Posts
    4,218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpowers View Post
    Congrats! I just completed my first metric this weekend as well. I was definitely a lot more sore after this ride as well so I feel your pain. lol
    Congrats to you too!

    Quote Originally Posted by perspiration View Post
    Congratulations! I'd love to do my first one sometime soon. How fast were you averaging and how long did it take?
    According to my GPS, it was 4:45 hours of ride time and 2:15 of stop time. But that's also counting riding to the event and hanging out before it actually started. My average was about 15mph. Climbing is my weakness so I try to make up by keeping 17~18 on flat I also rode with a fairly casual group and they waited a lot for a few riders that were lagging behind.
    PedalRoom

    Hey I just met you,
    and this is crazy,
    but here's my Strava,
    follow me maybe.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon
    Posts
    1,695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job. Sore hamstrings are often an indicator of a bike fit issue, with the saddle either a bit too high or a bit too far back. I'd really recommend getting a good fitter to make any adjustments especially if you are going to keep stretching out the distances you are riding. If you insist on changing it yourself, do it in very small increments (1/4") and mark your starting point with a marker or electricians tape so you can return to the original position if it's not an improvement. The fact that you did a 60+ mile ride with only minor discomfort is an indicator that your fit is probably pretty close.

    When climbing, I like to change my position from time to time. Climbing will exasperate any issue with your back/glutes/hamstrings, so if you feel that happening try scooting up on the saddle a bit. This will put more pressure on your quads and may give you a chance to recover without needing to stop.

    JB
    "Poor Reverend Hamilton! He worked so hard, got a mountain named after him and now all anyone wants to do is complain about his backside!" Overheard while climbing Mt. Hamilton

    Check out my cycling blog.

  11. #11
    Senior Member bbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    GallatinTn
    My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Posts
    510
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the Metric!! i did my first one last fall. I am still yearning for the first full century.
    Brandon Gallatin, Tn.
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/bwbeck

  12. #12
    Senior Member Seve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The GTA, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    2009 Rocky Mountain RC30 D
    Posts
    737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by achu717 View Post
    Seve, I see you are riding a Cervelo RS. Do you feel the RS made a difference in climbing hills compare to other bikes?
    I can only compare it to my other bike at the current time. So it may not be a fair comparison.

    The gearing is different, compact double (50/34) 12-27/25 cassette on the Cervelo and a triple (52/42/30) 11-32 cassette on my Rocky Mountain.

    Nothing scientific, but the Cervelo is easier and quicker to get up to speed. It is also easier to maintain that pace over the same roads with similar conditions. As well, it is much more responsive, meaning that it seems that no pedalling energy/effort is wasted, if that makes any sense?

    So yes, it seems to translate to hills as well, at least for me.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gearing is different, compact double (50/34) 12-27/25 cassette on the Cervelo and a triple (52/42/30) 11-32 cassette on my Rocky Mountain.

    .[/QUOTE]

    thanks Seve,

    I am looking to reward myself with a cervelo after I reach my weight lost goal. But, I am currently riding a Bianchi with a triple. I often had to use the granny gear on climbing. and Cervelo runs on compact double, I am afraid that I will run out of small gear to climb when riding a double compact crankset.

  14. #14
    Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter Jaytron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic
    Posts
    4,218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanb715 View Post
    Nice job. Sore hamstrings are often an indicator of a bike fit issue, with the saddle either a bit too high or a bit too far back. I'd really recommend getting a good fitter to make any adjustments especially if you are going to keep stretching out the distances you are riding. If you insist on changing it yourself, do it in very small increments (1/4") and mark your starting point with a marker or electricians tape so you can return to the original position if it's not an improvement. The fact that you did a 60+ mile ride with only minor discomfort is an indicator that your fit is probably pretty close.

    When climbing, I like to change my position from time to time. Climbing will exasperate any issue with your back/glutes/hamstrings, so if you feel that happening try scooting up on the saddle a bit. This will put more pressure on your quads and may give you a chance to recover without needing to stop.

    JB
    I had a shop fit it previously. I will try switching my position more. I really need to remember to shift earlier and just spin rather than trying to muscle up the hill.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeck View Post
    Congrats on the Metric!! i did my first one last fall. I am still yearning for the first full century.
    Thanks! I'm hoping to do one soon myself as well

    Quote Originally Posted by achu717 View Post
    The gearing is different, compact double (50/34) 12-27/25 cassette on the Cervelo and a triple (52/42/30) 11-32 cassette on my Rocky Mountain.

    .
    thanks Seve,

    I am looking to reward myself with a cervelo after I reach my weight lost goal. But, I am currently riding a Bianchi with a triple. I often had to use the granny gear on climbing. and Cervelo runs on compact double, I am afraid that I will run out of small gear to climb when riding a double compact crankset.[/QUOTE]
    I yearn for the day that I can reward myself with a Cervelo. Hahaha
    PedalRoom

    Hey I just met you,
    and this is crazy,
    but here's my Strava,
    follow me maybe.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •