Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which color wheel to go with?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • White

    9 47.37%
  • Black

    10 52.63%
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    King Hoternot bianchi10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon City, OR
    My Bikes
    2012 cannondale Supersix
    Posts
    4,777
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Help me chose!!!!

    I am looking to buy a new wheelset after a crash last week. I can't afford much so I'm looking into the mavic equipe wheelset. From reviews it seems to be a pretty solid set and I ride on some roads that aren't as smooth as I'd like. I was really leaning towards the white set, but am kind of thinking the black set would be more..."traditional" and have more "professional" look. I'd like to look into the Mavic Elite set which is a much lighter set, but again financially its not an option.

    Edit: I clean and wipe down my bike after each ride, so keeping the white clean isn't an issue for me.

    Last edited by bianchi10; 05-29-11 at 10:25 PM.

  2. #2
    Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,307
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The white wheels would add harmony to the overall color scheme and look.

    The black would just be to ordinary on that bike.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

    Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

  3. #3
    Cactus Hobbit GeoBigJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonora, Texas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc, Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Posts
    1,659
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the black ones would give it nice contrast. The white lettering on the wheels will be enough to tie it all together, IMO.

  4. #4
    Senior Member skilsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Victoria, Canada
    My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Posts
    1,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White wheels are faster.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

  5. #5
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    8,039
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black wheels... unless you like wiping the wheels down after every ride. Your seat and tape are black too, probably for the same reason.

  6. #6
    King Hoternot bianchi10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon City, OR
    My Bikes
    2012 cannondale Supersix
    Posts
    4,777
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
    Black wheels... unless you like wiping the wheels down after every ride. Your seat and tape are black too, probably for the same reason.
    nope, I mentioned above in my OP that I wipe down and clean my bike after each ride so that isn't an issue.

  7. #7
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    8,039
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bianchi10 View Post
    I am looking to buy a new wheelset after a crash last week. I can't afford much so I'm looking into the mavic equipe wheelset. From reviews it seems to be a pretty solid set and I ride on some roads that aren't as smooth as I'd like. I was really leaning towards the white set, but am kind of thinking the black set would be more..."traditional" and have more "professional" look. I'd like to look into the Mavic Elite set which is a much lighter set, but again financially its not an option.
    Really? there's nothing about cleaning, wiping or anything in your post at all.

    If you like wiping all the time then by all means get white. They'll look good on that bike, but not after labor day or before memorial day.

  8. #8
    King Hoternot bianchi10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon City, OR
    My Bikes
    2012 cannondale Supersix
    Posts
    4,777
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
    Really? there's nothing about cleaning, wiping or anything in your post at all.

    If you like wiping all the time then by all means get white. They'll look good on that bike, but not after labor day or before memorial day.
    Well darnit!! I thought I had put that in my post. my bad, sorry.

    I do wipe down my bike after each ride so that wouldn't be a big deal to me. I do want a set that will pop nicely. thanks for your opinionm I appreciate it

  9. #9
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    8,039
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swap out the tire color too if you really want to raise some eyebrows... I had yellow tires for a year or two, it definitely adds "pop".

  10. #10
    Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,307
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
    Swap out the tire color too if you really want to raise some eyebrows... I had yellow tires for a year or two, it definitely adds "pop".
    Yes! Colored tires is a great way to add lot's of bling for cheap to any bike!!!
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

    Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

  11. #11
    King Hoternot bianchi10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon City, OR
    My Bikes
    2012 cannondale Supersix
    Posts
    4,777
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Yes! Colored tires is a great way to add lot's of bling for cheap to any bike!!!
    depends on the bike IMO. plus a bigger factor is colored rubber does not grip as well as plain black rubber. I race and look for grip to be an important factor in my tires. Especially here in Oregon where it rains a lot during the season.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Laserman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    My Bikes
    09 Giant Cypress DX, 89 Schwinn Cruiser Supreme
    Posts
    380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either set would look good but I favor the white for more eye appeal.
    Set phasers to butt-whup!

  13. #13
    Senior Member volosong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Antelope Valley, SoCal
    Posts
    2,510
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White.

  14. #14
    King Hoternot bianchi10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon City, OR
    My Bikes
    2012 cannondale Supersix
    Posts
    4,777
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So I went to the bike shop the other day and my buddy threw on the white wheel so i could get a better idea. Hard to imagine it with a black tire around it. I like the white, but I think the black would even out the colors....frame-white and silver....saddle tape and wheels black? the black wheels have large white lettering so I'm thinking that would look pretty classy.

    Whatcha think?


  15. #15
    Cactus Hobbit GeoBigJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonora, Texas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc, Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Posts
    1,659
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still a fan of the black wheels, the contrast of the black wheels look like they will blend into the rest of the bike nicely.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •