Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Junior Member MrsNetNut404's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    N. CA
    My Bikes
    Trek Navigator 200 but hoping to upgrade soon
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New Athena with some questions

    Hi,

    I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to the forum. I have been lurking for the past several days and thought it was finally time to step out of the wood work and say hi.

    First off I am extremely impressed with these forums. Especially, the Clydesdale and Athena group. I have been reading and reading and am amazed at the tons of support and encouragement you all have shown your fellow clydes/athenas! Unfortunately (as many of you well know) that is not what us larger cyclist encounter in the real world on a regular basis. Its good to know we have a place we can go to get the encouragement and friendship we need to keep doing something we love. It is this encouragement that has inspired me to get serious about cycling. I have always loved it, but a combination of issues have made me hesitant to do it consistently. One of those issues was being fitted to the wrong bike 8 years ago. A 2003 Trek Navigator 200. This is a good bike. Don't get me wrong. Its just not for me. I need something with more speed. So, with that being said...here is my question.

    Can someone help me choose which bike to get? I am looking to get something that is a good all around bike. I plan on using it for running errands (grocery shopping) as well as commuting and trails. Right now I try and ride about 10-20 miles at a time. Usually about every other day. Eventually I would like to get into good enough shape to do some touring. The touring idea is kind of a pipe dream and if I have to buy a separate bike for that down the road, that is fine. Right now I am interested in the Trek 7.3 FX and really like what I have heard. One of my main concerns though is that I am a big girl. I spoke to a sales associate at the Trek store down the street from where I live and he said that there was no weight restrictions with the FX bikes and he said it should be fine with grocery panniers. I don't want to do what I did last time and buy the first bike I try and end up with buyers remorse. Does anyone have any other models they would like to suggest? Are there any features, besides wheels with high spoke count I should be looking for?

    Thanks!
    MrsN

  2. #2
    Watching and waiting. jethro56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mattoon,Ill
    My Bikes
    Trek 7300 Giant Sedona E-Bike Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
    Posts
    1,977
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome I have a Trek 7300 which is like an Fx7.3 only not as good for my riding. It should be faster than a Navigator but I think of it more as a general purpose bike. Since you're riding now take it out for a good long ride. I'd also look at a relaxed geometry road bike just to make sure. I like wide tires so a cyclocross bike is on my possible next bike list.

  3. #3
    Senior Member green427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dela-where?
    My Bikes
    GT Fitness series, IBEX Vantage 5500, Raleigh M-80
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!!

    You are right, in the real world, we don't get a whole lot of positive comments.

    As for buyer's remorse...do you have a Performance Bike or a Nashbar dealer nearby? They usually let you ride for awhile and if you are not happy, you can return the bike for something else. We can give you tips, but only you can decide which bike feels best for you. Some LBS dealers do not have a return policy.

    My wife is an Athena, and she rides a low-end $250 Schwinn comfort bike from Performance that has adjustable handlebars, and it works well for her (although she does not ride unless I say "let's go"). I think the bike is good for a rider up to 400lbs, but it seems to be good just for cruising around. I would like to see her graduate to a Hybrid or MTB eventually.

  4. #4
    Back in the Saddle
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    2012 Salsa Vaya, Giant Mtn Bike, Draft SE SS
    Posts
    182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride a 2001 Trek 7300 Hybrid. Similar to the 7.3 just way older. 235 when started riding 18 mo ago, under 210 now. It has been a great bike for me. I'll put over 3000 miles on it this year.

    I tried a new bike from NASHBAR this spring. 2 broken spokes in two days. Entry level wheelsets combined with city riding an 200+ lbs isn't a good mix. I'd say that if you are going to be carrying cargo, you need to look seriously at the quality of the wheels on whatever you buy.

    Going a little larger on your wheels help with the load too. I run 47s on mine and just love it.
    Indianapolis IN
    2012 Salsa Vaya 3

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Omaha, NE headed to Nashville TN
    My Bikes
    Marin Muirwoods 29er
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mrs Nut! I'm new to this too. I just picked up a Marin Muirwoods 29er and I am in love with it. I'm 6'1" and 270. I looked at the Trek 7.3 and the 7.5 but with with the Muirwoods because of the feel (Very Solid) and the steel frame. It's considered and Urban/Hybrid. Not sure of your ht but they start at 17 in. Worth a check. Here is the link to Marin: www.marinbikes.com

    Good luck and keep us posted

  6. #6
    Senior Member jgjulio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    09 Specialized Sequoia, 08 Trek 7200, Very Old Schwinn Cruiser
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like Trek mostly but I own and love my Trek 7.3 FX
    Don't dismiss it because it is the first bike you are considering.
    Ride it and see if you are comfortable on it
    Julio (me)
    2011 Specialized Roubaix Elite
    2009 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    2009 Trek 7.3 (Red)

    Patricia (wife)
    2009 Specialized Sequoia Elite; 2008 Fuji Absolute 2.0

  7. #7
    SERENITY NOW!!! jyossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the 212
    My Bikes
    Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
    Posts
    8,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out different brands touring and cyclocross bikes. Most should be able to be fitted w/ racks to carry panniers and handle all your errands. They should also be faster than an upright since they're all equipped w/ road bars. Trek's got a nice cro-mo touring frame.
    HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



    We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

  8. #8
    Junior Member MrsNetNut404's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    N. CA
    My Bikes
    Trek Navigator 200 but hoping to upgrade soon
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for all of the warm welcomes and great suggestions. I really appreciate all of the feedback.

    jgjulio: I am not dismissing the 7.3 FX. I have already fallen in love with it and I haven't even ridden it! I just want to make sure I get the right bike for me, not just the one the dealer wants to sell me. Which is what I feel happened last time. Why don't you like Trek?


    jyossarian: Thank you for the suggestion but I don't think touring bikes are in my budget right now. However, I could be wrong so I will check it out anyway. Also, I worry about the abuse it would take on the roads and bike paths around here. While they are paved, they are ANYTHING but smooth.

    Again, thanks for all of the great suggestions and feedback!

    MrsN

  9. #9
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,248
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larger tires can help with rough roads.

    We do credit card touring.

    At some point have the shop throw on a cheap rack, like the Eco Rack.
    Get a pair of inexpensive panniers. Throw some clothes and a patch kit and lock
    in the panniers and go.

    We stay at hotels, motels, and B&Bs.

    You don't have to make a trip epic, this year we are doing 30 miles days
    over easy terrain.

    But start with an overnight trip.
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

  10. #10
    she
    she is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    My Bikes
    A Raleigh detour 3
    Posts
    254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trav34 View Post
    Hey Mrs Nut! I'm new to this too. I just picked up a Marin Muirwoods 29er and I am in love with it. I'm 6'1" and 270. I looked at the Trek 7.3 and the 7.5 but with with the Muirwoods because of the feel (Very Solid) and the steel frame. It's considered and Urban/Hybrid. Not sure of your ht but they start at 17 in. Worth a check. Here is the link to Marin: www.marinbikes.com

    Good luck and keep us posted
    Im in love with now with Marin bikes. I looked at the 7.3 FX and its crazy cause I like trek bikes but darn Marins are pretty. I know in the future I want to get a better bike than what I have and I think I'm going Marins. Thanks for sharing that.
    MrsN good luck with finding your bike.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Omaha, NE headed to Nashville TN
    My Bikes
    Marin Muirwoods 29er
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by she View Post
    Im in love with now with Marin bikes. I looked at the 7.3 FX and its crazy cause I like trek bikes but darn Marins are pretty. I know in the future I want to get a better bike than what I have and I think I'm going Marins. Thanks for sharing that.
    MrsN good luck with finding your bike.
    I was the same way....Liked the Trek name but after riding both, loved the Marin's. Both make really great bikes so make sure you get the one that fits and feels best for you. Good luck!

  12. #12
    SERENITY NOW!!! jyossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the 212
    My Bikes
    Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
    Posts
    8,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsNetNut404 View Post
    jyossarian: Thank you for the suggestion but I don't think touring bikes are in my budget right now. However, I could be wrong so I will check it out anyway. Also, I worry about the abuse it would take on the roads and bike paths around here. While they are paved, they are ANYTHING but smooth.
    MrsN
    Touring bikes are usually sturdier because they're built for long distance riding while loaded. Put some 28's or bigger on them and they'll handle whatever roads you ride on. CX bikes can also handle the rough stuff, but not all of them come w/ braze ons for fenders and racks so check for those when you're looking.
    HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



    We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

  13. #13
    Come here often? <wink> exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 1999 Jamis Exile
    Posts
    2,846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsNetNut404 View Post
    Can someone help me choose which bike to get? I am looking to get something that is a good all around bike. I plan on using it for running errands (grocery shopping) as well as commuting and trails. Right now I try and ride about 10-20 miles at a time. Usually about every other day. Eventually I would like to get into good enough shape to do some touring. The touring idea is kind of a pipe dream and if I have to buy a separate bike for that down the road, that is fine. Right now I am interested in the Trek 7.3 FX and really like what I have heard. One of my main concerns though is that I am a big girl. I spoke to a sales associate at the Trek store down the street from where I live and he said that there was no weight restrictions with the FX bikes and he said it should be fine with grocery panniers. I don't want to do what I did last time and buy the first bike I try and end up with buyers remorse. Does anyone have any other models they would like to suggest? Are there any features, besides wheels with high spoke count I should be looking for?
    First off welcome to the Pride Mrs.NetNut404 !

    You really have a lot of options in my opinion. It looks like any bike you get will seem faster than the bike you currently have.

    I think the Trek Belleville looks really versatile and is around your price range. The Specialized Vita Elite seems very similar to the Trek 7.3FX. The Specialized Globe Daily also looks pretty versatile. My next recommendations would be the Jamis Coda or the Jamis Satellite Sport.

    Basically visit as many shops as you can and ride as many bikes as you can. If they are dealers they should be able to get any of the bikes I mentioned if not in stock.

    Features I usually look for with commuting are eyelets or brazeons for racks and/or fenders, and multiple gearing options. The Belleville looks upgradable for more gearing. The Vita and Coda seem similar to the Trek you have your eye on. The Globe with the internal 7 speed should work under most circumstances. The Satellite Sport should help with speed and longer rides. It also looks like it can be outfitted in multiple ways making it very versatile.

    p.s. I'll also add the Giant Escape City. It looks pretty versatile and similar to the Specialized Globe Daily
    Last edited by exile; 05-29-11 at 03:37 PM.
    lil brown bat wrote:
    Wow, aren't other people stupid? It's a good thing that we're so smart. Yay us.

  14. #14
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,248
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a fan of Joe Breeze and Breezer bikes.
    If you can, try one.

    http://www.breezerbikes.com/index.ph...eenway-lx.html
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •