Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: BG Fit

  1. #1
    Senior Member DOOM_NX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Greece
    My Bikes
    None at the moment
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    BG Fit

    Any Clydesdale ever taken a Specialized BG Fit? Or at least parts of it? Like saddle and cleat/shoes?

    Can they detect your sit bones even if you are a fat ass?

    I'm thinking of getting one with my new bike. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by DOOM_NX; 06-08-11 at 11:55 AM.
    DOOM_NX

  2. #2
    "Fred"--is that bad? DTSCDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    214 Represent!
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)
    Posts
    457
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about the whole fitting thing. I did use the Bontrager version of the saddle fitting thing. Basically it's just a pressure sensitive plastic seat. You sit down and the gel type stuff in the seat cushion gets displaced depending on pressure. Where your sit-bones are there is the most pressure. They measure the distance between the 2 'depressions' where your sit bones were. Pretty simple actually.
    I can't comment on any other specific fitting.
    The meek shall inherit the earth (If that's okay with the rest of you.)
    “Many of us spend half our time wishing for things we could have if we didn’t spend half our time wishing.”Alexander Woolcot
    Schwinn Super Sport (86)
    Trek 7.3FX (07)
    Trek T200 Tandem (Until I sell it!)

  3. #3
    Senior Member DOOM_NX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Greece
    My Bikes
    None at the moment
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DTSCDS View Post
    I don't know about the whole fitting thing. I did use the Bontrager version of the saddle fitting thing. Basically it's just a pressure sensitive plastic seat. You sit down and the gel type stuff in the seat cushion gets displaced depending on pressure. Where your sit-bones are there is the most pressure. They measure the distance between the 2 'depressions' where your sit bones were. Pretty simple actually.
    I can't comment on any other specific fitting.
    Thank you, sir. Do you know if fat plays any role in the measurement?
    DOOM_NX

  4. #4
    Senior Member exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 1999 Jamis Exile
    Posts
    2,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the shop offers the service, there is nothing wrong with having it done. Saddles are so personal anyways, they might get you started in the right direction.
    lil brown bat wrote:
    Wow, aren't other people stupid? It's a good thing that we're so smart. Yay us.

  5. #5
    Senior Member DOOM_NX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Greece
    My Bikes
    None at the moment
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, exile. I'm just concerned about fat interfering with the measurements! :|
    DOOM_NX

  6. #6
    Senior Member exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 1999 Jamis Exile
    Posts
    2,849
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DOOM_NX View Post
    Thanks, exile. I'm just concerned about fat interfering with the measurements! :|
    Fat shouldn't interfere with the measurement. Usually you sit on a gel pad and they measure from the center of each dimple from the lowest depression point. Its the ischial tuberosity bones (sit bones) that cause the deepest depression.
    lil brown bat wrote:
    Wow, aren't other people stupid? It's a good thing that we're so smart. Yay us.

  7. #7
    Senior Member DOOM_NX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Greece
    My Bikes
    None at the moment
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    Fat shouldn't interfere with the measurement. Usually you sit on a gel pad and they measure from the center of each dimple from the lowest depression point. Its the ischial tuberosity bones (sit bones) that cause the deepest depression.
    Thanks for the clarification. I guess if BG Fit didn't apply to fat people, they would have told me...
    DOOM_NX

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
    Posts
    5,117
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DOOM_NX View Post
    Any Clydesdale ever taken a Specialized BG Fit? Or at least parts of it? Like saddle and cleat/shoes?
    Specialized has a BG Fit product line and also a BG Fit service that will fit you to your bike (or vice versa), regardless of whether the bike/parts are made by Specialized. IMO, there's nothing magic about either the BG Fit parts or the fitting service. In fact, I'd have to say that BG Fit saddles are universally the worst saddles I've ever ridden! I've tried a number of them and they were all terrible for me. Remember: the Specialized ass-o-meter only works for Specialized saddles. There's no universal way to measure saddle width or sit bone width, so the numbers you get from Specialized won't necessarily apply to any other saddle brand.

    The fit service probably has a much to do with the person doing the fitting as anything else. I haven't had a BG Fit, but I have watched the process. Didn't seem to be much different than any professional fit I've had done... unless you get to the Supremo-level fit that uses lasers, video cameras... and $300 from your wallet.

  9. #9
    Senior Member timmythology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Portland, Or
    My Bikes
    | Surly Disc-Trucker| unknown city bike |M80 Raleigh |09 Trek 1.2|
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the lbs had me use it, and after wards I threw out a seat that was smaller than the 155mm size recommendation. While I have yet to actually use a specialized saddle, I have found that it got me into the right ball park. The saddle that came on my road bike was 144mm. Now i just have to find the saddle that I like.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Werkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Posts
    417
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DOOM_NX View Post
    Thanks, exile. I'm just concerned about fat interfering with the measurements! :|
    Here's how you can find out on your own, place a thick piece, or two layers of cardboard on a flat surface, and sit on it with your torso leaning forward. Draw circles around the depressions left by your sit bones on the cardboard, and a vertical line through the middle of each. The distance between the lines is your sit bone width. Now you can overlay that width on any saddle to be sure there is adequate support.

    If you find a fat layer is preventing discrete impressions, do something to create extra sitting force. It also may require a few extra layers of cardboard.

    The distance between the sit bones is dynamic when peddling, the static measurement is only a guideline.

  11. #11
    Senior Member DOOM_NX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Greece
    My Bikes
    None at the moment
    Posts
    314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Werkin View Post
    Here's how you can find out on your own, place a thick piece, or two layers of cardboard on a flat surface, and sit on it with your torso leaning forward. Draw circles around the depressions left by your sit bones on the cardboard, and a vertical line through the middle of each. The distance between the lines is your sit bone width. Now you can overlay that width on any saddle to be sure there is adequate support.

    If you find a fat layer is preventing discrete impressions, do something to create extra sitting force. It also may require a few extra layers of cardboard.

    The distance between the sit bones is dynamic when peddling, the static measurement is only a guideline.
    Thank you very much for this advice!
    DOOM_NX

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •