Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Knees More Sore Than Legs?

    Hello all,

    I am still very new to cycling-- Here's my 1st post for more information on that:

    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...2#post12849072

    So here I am 15 days since getting my bike and I've already logged over 100 miles! I never ride for less than 8-10 miles (which is my norm) and have hit 20 in a single ride, too! Not too shabby for a little overweight 29 y/o who hasn't done any exercise in 10-12 years! I have been riding every other day and sometimes back to back, all in temperatures over 100.

    So back on topic-- I've noticed that my main soreness and burning feeling isn't in my legs, but in my knees! When I'm riding and after I'm done my knees are always pretty red and that's where my main pain comes from. Is this normal (the redness and/or the pain mainly in my knees and not my legs)? When I'm on a climb and sucking air badly, it's my knees that are screaming in pain, not my legs. Even now after the ride, sure my legs are a little tired, but my knees feel much more sore.

    I have never had any issues with my knees in my life-- I've never torn anything, never had any surgery or sprains, etc. But in the last 5 or so years, my knees have always bothered me quite a bit. An example would be if I have to squat down on my feet or drop to my knees to do something, my knees have always started burning up and hurting.

    So, without going to a doctor, do you think the issue is my knees? If so, do you think it's just because I haven't been exercising or that I may be developing arthritis or something similar? Is this a common problem with Clydes? If it's just me, I am super bummed because that means that although every other part of me can ride longer and faster, my knees simply won't let me which really upsets me.

    Thanks in advance for any replies! I really think regardless that I'm a cycler for life. I really, really enjoy the sport and am loving everything about it (weight loss, getting fit, the suntan, etc.)!

  2. #2
    Starting over CraigB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Posts
    4,081
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycling is one sport that's known for being kind to your knees, if you do it correctly, and by correctly I mean in the manner in which your body wants you to do it. Some are natural spinners, some are natural mashers. Having said that, and without knowing your propensities, I would offer this: anytime someone new to the sport tells me they have any kind of knee pain, I tell them the same thing - ride in a lower gear at a higher cadence. Even many experienced riders won't push really big gears each season until they've built a high-mileage base of low gear/high cadence riding. Doing otherwise can risk knee injury.
    Craig in Indy

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    Cycling is one sport that's known for being kind to your knees, if you do it correctly, and by correctly I mean in the manner in which your body wants you to do it. Some are natural spinners, some are natural mashers. Having said that, and without knowing your propensities, I would offer this: anytime someone new to the sport tells me they have any kind of knee pain, I tell them the same thing - ride in a lower gear at a higher cadence. Even many experienced riders won't push really big gears each season until they've built a high-mileage base of low gear/high cadence riding. Doing otherwise can risk knee injury.
    Well I certainly do enjoy a very high cadence. My friends I ride with prefer the big gears and a low cadence but not only is it harder for me to keep up that way but it's much more comfortable for me to ride in a higher gear with a high cadence. On just about every climb, I am pedaling the easiest gears on the bike-- My high front gear and my highest rear gear during much of it. Yet my knees still hurt.

    The pain doesn't keep me from doing 20 miles over a hilly route with an average speed of 14-15 mph, so it's not like I'm dying out there, but when I get those thoughts of "wow, I need a break" sure part of it is my heavy breathing and my heartrate, but the biggest burn I feel is always in my knees. I guess that's why they get pretty red.

    From your response it sounds like this may be common and something I overcome. Even though I've done 100 miles in 2 weeks of bike ownership, I am still extremely new and green to the sport and still learning. I sure hope that's the case and I certainly don't want to be held back due to any 'condition' I may have with my knees.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Rockhopper, Electra Flying Sue 3i
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also check that your saddle height is set at the correct height...

    I was riding for a year and all the sudden started having knee pain in my left knee. After researching online a common thing I saw written was "Knee pain in front of knee? Saddle too low. Knee pain in back of knee? Saddle too high." I blew it off at first because I told myself I didn't change my saddle so that can't be it. But, I figured out a week or so later that my seat post slipped down nearly a full inch and I didn't realize it; Bumped it back to where I originally had it (and used some carbon paste, and a torque key for proper tension to hopefully prevent slippage again) and pain went away.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Sundance89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    My Bikes
    [IMG]http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/89ScottG/TourdeScottsdalePic.jpg[/IMG]
    Posts
    668
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add to the above a proper bike fitting. For knee pain the answer could be a simple adjustment with your saddle or even cleats (if you're clipped in). Did you purchase from lbs?

    Edit: Add to the one above the one above.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeFoz View Post
    Also check that your saddle height is set at the correct height...

    I was riding for a year and all the sudden started having knee pain in my left knee. After researching online a common thing I saw written was "Knee pain in front of knee? Saddle too low. Knee pain in back of knee? Saddle too high." I blew it off at first because I told myself I didn't change my saddle so that can't be it. But, I figured out a week or so later that my seat post slipped down nearly a full inch and I didn't realize it; Bumped it back to where I originally had it (and used some carbon paste, and a torque key for proper tension to hopefully prevent slippage again) and pain went away.
    Pretty sure that my saddle height is nice and high/correct but I'll look into that. I do have a different issue with the saddle, however; I think I have to move it forward a little because it seems when I'm sitting on it properly that I have to reach too far and so I have a tendancy to ride way up on the front of the saddle and constantly find myself adjusting my butt further back on it, only to feel like I'm reaching too far again. Maybe that has relations to my knee burn?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundance89 View Post
    Add to the above a proper bike fitting. For knee pain the answer could be a simple adjustment with your saddle or even cleats (if you're clipped in). Did you purchase from lbs?

    Edit: Add to the one above the one above.
    What do you mean by "purchase from lbs"?

    I do have clip-in pedals, some type of $80 Shimano ones.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Sundance89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    My Bikes
    [IMG]http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/89ScottG/TourdeScottsdalePic.jpg[/IMG]
    Posts
    668
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhurley View Post
    Pretty sure that my saddle height is nice and high/correct but I'll look into that. I do have a different issue with the saddle, however; I think I have to move it forward a little because it seems when I'm sitting on it properly that I have to reach too far and so I have a tendancy to ride way up on the front of the saddle and constantly find myself adjusting my butt further back on it, only to feel like I'm reaching too far again. Maybe that has relations to my knee burn?
    A possibility to the contrary. Let's say your stem is too long and is pulling you too far forward to begin with, causing your knees to be forward the pedal spindle. Moving your saddle forward would be the last thing you would want to do. Guaranteed to make your knees worse!

    As I suggested, until you become more experienced with bike fit and can do it on your own, I would have a fitting with your lbs.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Sundance89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    My Bikes
    [IMG]http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/89ScottG/TourdeScottsdalePic.jpg[/IMG]
    Posts
    668
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhurley View Post
    What do you mean by "purchase from lbs"?

    I do have clip-in pedals, some type of $80 Shimano ones.
    "lbs" Local Bike Shop. And now that you've confirmed you're clipping in, the stakes are even higher for a proper fit. Another way of obtaining the right bend of your leg at the 3 o'clock position is by adjusting your cleats. If your cleats are too far forward, for example, that will "drag" your foot too far back and cause pressure on the knee.

    Even the angle of your cleat, if turned slightly to one side, could cause knee pain. The spinning in cycling is cumulative and improper bike fit will surely add up to pain.
    Last edited by Sundance89; 07-06-11 at 07:04 PM.

  10. #10
    Starting over CraigB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Posts
    4,081
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhurley View Post
    ...I am pedaling the easiest gears on the bike-- My high front gear and my highest rear gear during much of it.
    Not sure if you meant "large" when you said "high" in front, but if so, you need to shift onto your small chainring up front, not your large one. Low gear is small up front/large in back. High gear is the opposite.
    Craig in Indy

  11. #11
    Senior Member jmeissner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    125
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely agree everyone else that it is most likely a fit issue. My lbs was willing to not only do an initial fitting but help me with fine tuning the fit after I had got some time in the saddle. I don't know if your lbs is willing to do this as well but if not I would suggest finding someone who can fit you properly.
    2010 Giant Defy 2
    1997 Giant ATX 860
    198? Bianchi

    Endomondo Profile

  12. #12
    Senior Member goldfinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota/Arizona and between
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Posts
    3,921
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhurley View Post
    Pretty sure that my saddle height is nice and high/correct but I'll look into that. I do have a different issue with the saddle, however; I think I have to move it forward a little because it seems when I'm sitting on it properly that I have to reach too far and so I have a tendancy to ride way up on the front of the saddle and constantly find myself adjusting my butt further back on it, only to feel like I'm reaching too far again. Maybe that has relations to my knee burn?
    I found myself pushing back on my seat like you. Oddly, it was because my seat was way too far forward. You may need to move your seat back and if the reach is too far, have other modifications made to your bike.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •