Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member masi61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ohio
    My Bikes
    Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium
    Posts
    996
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How I am approaching NON clyde status by riding LESS ! (?)

    Thought this might stimulate some conversation here. I joined a very active gym in my town and began attending as many work out classes as I can. Initially, it was spinning, but gradually I have added weight lifting and Zumba type classes. With time, I had no choice than to start working on abdominal strength by doing core work in addition to the heavy cardio that seems to knock off big chunks of weight but maybe contribute to loss of muscle mass. The gym is convenient, you get in and out and get real results in weeks and even more results as the months pass.
    Training road rides have been less frequent for me this year and I haven't bothered to journal my road rides like I normally do. My road miles are around only around 4 or 500 miles but my average speeds are exceeding my averages on years when I have ridden 10x as much. Getting a jump start on the fitness has made my time on the bike more exciting and opened my eyes about some of the defeatist mentality I was using when dealing (or avoiding) the hillier courses.
    Last winter my weight was as high as 268, presently I'm well under 210 ( ~208 today in gym clothes). I expect to drop under 200 within a month, the first time this tired 49 year old has been at that level in over 15 years !

  2. #2
    Senior Member Rona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    My Bikes
    Pre-Grant Peterson Bridgestone Mixte, Gazelle Champion Mondial Semirace Mixte
    Posts
    289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm losing weight too and not biking right now a lot, but I think its due to kidney stones and finding food unattractive lol. Have you changed your eating habits? It sounds like you've picked up more calorie burning per day.

  3. #3
    Cactus Hobbit GeoBigJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonora, Texas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc, Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Posts
    1,659
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, awesome deal. I have a gym I like and combine the two, riding and working out. I had been just working out in the gym and had hit a plateau, I couldn't loose weight in the gym any longer. I picked up my bike and combing them has been sweet and the pounds are dropping once again.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,929
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    great job! for me.... riding, gym, cardio, and weights. it WILL come off one way or another!

  5. #5
    Senior Member masi61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ohio
    My Bikes
    Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium
    Posts
    996
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rona View Post
    Have you changed your eating habits? It sounds like you've picked up more calorie burning per day.
    Yeah, I think all the working out has caused me to crave fluids and more fruits and veggies. I would say yes, definitely the daily calorie expenditure is up. They have a glider type elliptical that called a Cybex Arc Trainer that, when set to strength setting with moderately heavy resistance, you can burn like 1000 calories per hour. I didn't believe it at first but I think it may actually deliver the calorie burn that it claims.

  6. #6
    Senior Member fast89fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central Va.
    My Bikes
    '11 Raleigh Revenio 3.0 '12 Trek 3700
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weight lifting builds lean muscle mass. Lean muscle even when resting burns more calories. If you are following any solid nutrition plan and lifting weights, you will lose weight. Also too much cardio, if trying to lose weight is not a good thing because you will end up burning muscle before fat. I imagine your new muscle is making your cycling easier, and less cardio is causing your body to use stored fat as a fuel versus muscle.
    http://pedalmybike.com/userTrackies/myTrackie3859.jpg

    '11 Raleigh Revenio 3.0
    '12 Trek 3700

  7. #7
    Senior Member masi61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ohio
    My Bikes
    Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium
    Posts
    996
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fast89fox View Post
    Weight lifting builds lean muscle mass. Lean muscle even when resting burns more calories. If you are following any solid nutrition plan and lifting weights, you will lose weight. Also too much cardio, if trying to lose weight is not a good thing because you will end up burning muscle before fat. I imagine your new muscle is making your cycling easier, and less cardio is causing your body to use stored fat as a fuel versus muscle.
    People at the gym repeat this frequently about being careful not to do too much cardio which flies in the face of what us traditional road cyclists think. Its weird, my legs are quite sore but not really injured. I'm definitely pushing bigger gears out on the road. In the past, I always would try to maintain a high cadence of 90 or higher on the road. This was usually with light resistance on the pedals so my Ride average on my mixed terrain courses was never above 17.9 mph at the most. Now I've averaged in the 18's 3x in the last month and my tummy is getting really flat and my thinned out legs look muscular. Several people at work asked if I was maybe getting too thin, and to that I say absolutely not.The reason I know this is because with all these great fitness and performance gains on the bike, they alway seem to point at the next threshold of performance or fitness. Being age 49 and feeling really good is nice but an uncertain feeling not knowing if getting faster on the bike and thinner is my direction or maybe just really good overall fitness with increased muscle development should be the goal.

  8. #8
    Retired C.O. RandoneeRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Central Kali'
    My Bikes
    REI 2009 Novara Randonee
    Posts
    207
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading your thread, is rather timely.....
    as I will be trying to find a balance soon between cardio, weight bearing exercises, and rest.... all this on only a 1,000 calories a day.

    I've known that my two months of riding as often as I felt reasonable for a newbie fat guy, would come to an end Monday August 1st; in fact I postponed the diet for a month so I could eat lots-o-meals, walk 3 miles 5 time a week, do resistance training 3 times a week, and ride short rides every day.., or 20-30 mile rides every other day (and rest for 1 or 2 days as the body so dictated weekly). I've tried to get in enough calories & protien to prevent from burning any lean muscle mass, and through it all, have still managed to lose yet another 9 pounds since the first of July.

    That being said, it's time to get serious and attempt to get closer to the ideal BMI weight for my 5' 2"ness of 118 pounds (I'm weighing 228 as I sit with this chicken, pasta, and brocolli before me....). And frankly, 118 pounds for THIS 57 year old ain't gonna happen! I think for my age, body type, bone & muscle density, I'll shoot for 136 pounds and be happy if I see 146.

    But,
    "...too much cardio, if trying to lose weight is not a good thing because you will end up burning muscle before fat."
    THIS is what I needed to read prior to starting my new life style......

  9. #9
    Senior Member irwin7638's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy
    Posts
    2,417
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masi61 View Post
    Thought this might stimulate some conversation here. I joined a very active gym in my town and began attending as many work out classes as I can. Initially, it was spinning, but gradually I have added weight lifting and Zumba type classes. With time, I had no choice than to start working on abdominal strength by doing core work in addition to the heavy cardio that seems to knock off big chunks of weight but maybe contribute to loss of muscle mass. The gym is convenient, you get in and out and get real results in weeks and even more results as the months pass.
    Training road rides have been less frequent for me this year and I haven't bothered to journal my road rides like I normally do. My road miles are around only around 4 or 500 miles but my average speeds are exceeding my averages on years when I have ridden 10x as much. Getting a jump start on the fitness has made my time on the bike more exciting and opened my eyes about some of the defeatist mentality I was using when dealing (or avoiding) the hillier courses.
    Last winter my weight was as high as 268, presently I'm well under 210 ( ~208 today in gym clothes). I expect to drop under 200 within a month, the first time this tired 49 year old has been at that level in over 15 years !
    A lot of cyclists forget one simple principle,
    a little frequent exercise is more productive than a lot of infrequent.

    Marc
    Read Simply Cycle

    "I can still do everything I used to, but now I'm mature enough to take a nap without being told." - Me

    "You don't deteriorate from age,you age from deterioration" --Joe Weider

  10. #10
    Senior Member masi61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SW Ohio
    My Bikes
    Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium
    Posts
    996
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irwin7638 View Post
    A lot of cyclists forget one simple principle,
    a little frequent exercise is more productive than a lot of infrequent.

    Marc
    You got that right. I thinks the gym, being a business is kind of relentless. The are open 7 days a week. They offer classes every single day. It great to just follow along and continue to get gains during those times when you don't want to self motivate to go out and ride on the road.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    LI NY
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masi61 View Post
    Yeah, I think all the working out has caused me to crave fluids and more fruits and veggies. I would say yes, definitely the daily calorie expenditure is up. They have a glider type elliptical that called a Cybex Arc Trainer that, when set to strength setting with moderately heavy resistance, you can burn like 1000 calories per hour. I didn't believe it at first but I think it may actually deliver the calorie burn that it claims.
    Cybex arc ftw. I've been looking at used ones on craigslist. I sure sweat more per hour on the elliptical than when i'm riding.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •