Suddenly, we're a one car family. Yesterday this happened to my wife:
The wife is a little bruised but otherwise OK. The damage to the car is worse than it looks; the front axle is probably broken and the A-, B-, and probably C-pillars are bent.
Yesterday, I got around totally on foot. A total of something like 5 miles walking to get the baby from day care, walk to the impound yard to get the stroller and carseat, back home, and towards the bus stop to meet the wife on her way home from the ER. We really need to get a helmet for the 4-month old princess of the household.
Now we're working on decisions, questions, and logistics:
- Get a new-to-us car and the payments to go with?
- Try to actually live car-free?
- Get a Zipcar membership and live car-lite?
- If car-free/car-lite, what kind of bike for the wife (probably something with an EcoSpeed motor).
- How soon can I get the delta trikes and trailers that I've been dreaming of to make our car-free-ness a complete reality? (We'll make trike trains such as Delta-Delta-KidTrailer-CargoTrailer)
- Will our Moms let us stay car free?
- Can I convince the wife that we can do it?
- Now that driving to get groceries isn't an option, what's the easiest/cheapest way to get the grocery shopping done within a reasonable amount of time?
- How do we go visit the in-laws in an area-of-mediocre-public-transit?
Any way we go, there are big changes coming for us, either financial or logistical. That's the way the cookie crumbles, sometimes.