Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   I need some new shoes... (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/763848-i-need-some-new-shoes.html)

Biggziff 08-29-11 09:31 AM

I need some new shoes...
 
My old Nike SPD shoes are starting to tear at the toe box...too bad as I really like them, but this gives me an opportunity to try something stiffer. I've been riding with SPD only as I do occasionally walk around a little during stops, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't consider a set of SL pedals and shoes if there is an advantage to doing so.

I've tried on the Specialized Sport Touring shoe and it seems quite stiff, SPD ready and reasonably priced at ~$85 at the LBS. So...what do you ride with and why? Have you switched from SPD to SPD-SL stuff and had a great experience? Got a shoe you love and want to recommend?

Thanks!

ill.clyde 08-29-11 09:39 AM

I ride SPD-SLs ... picked up a pair of carbon fiber soled Shimano's (I think off the top of my head) at the Chicago Bike Swap almost two years ago and I love them.

Definitely consider making the jump to SPD-SL.

Biggziff 08-31-11 08:03 PM

Anyone else??

AmericanMag 08-31-11 11:35 PM

Sorry, I am a total newb... what are SPDs? I checked this thread out because I was wondering what type of shoes I should be wearing.

Biggziff 09-01-11 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanMag (Post 13162472)
Sorry, I am a total newb... what are SPDs? I checked this thread out because I was wondering what type of shoes I should be wearing.

SPD are often called mountain bike type pedals/cleats and look like this:
http://media.rei.com/media/705311_9996Lrg.JPG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLSxmaQeEIM

SPDs are usually set deep enough in the shoe to allow you to walk easily.

SPD-SL pedals require a shoe that will have a large "cleat" that makes it difficult to walk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g47aR7WJCzc

http://media.rei.com/media/s/1145957.jpg

Either one will keep your feet on the pedals. Many people prefer SPD due to the ease of walking. SPDs are heavier, but c'mon...this is a clydesdale forum. Eat a few salads and you're good to go... :)

AmericanMag 09-11-11 10:06 PM

Thanks for the lesson! I was looking at shoes in the local shop and didn't know if I needed to get a pair of biking specific shoes or if I am OK with the standard jogging shoes.

Buck_O 09-12-11 01:51 PM

If you want a stiffer SPD shoe that you can walk in, with plenty of room in the toebox for wider feet, i recommend these.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...road/2/SH-RT31

The Shimano SH-RT31. The Sole is stiffer then their MTB shoes, but not quite as stiff as their dedicated SPD-SL system shoes. So its still relatively easy to walk around in for short distances.


If you want a more secure strapping system over the RT31's two velcro straps, and have an LBS that can order out of a Shinmano EU/World catalog, you might want to check out the SH-RT81 with a ratcheting top strap, and two velcro, or the SH-RT52, which has a three strap velcro system.

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/...-.sh_road.html
http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/...-.sh_road.html

Buck_O 09-12-11 02:02 PM

And with those shoes, i would get a pair of PS-A520, or PD-A600 pedals to give you a nice broad platorm for the shoe base to rest on. This helps improve power transfer, and reduce alot of the perceived flex in the shoe that you get with a pedal like the Shimano PD-M double sided pedals which do not support the shoe to allow the shoe some flex to help aide in vibration absorption for trail and MTB riding.

But thats just my 2, many prople do no prefer single sided pedals.

Biggziff 09-12-11 04:38 PM

Thanks...We don't have any shops locally that sell these so I'd have to order them blind, but...I do like the look better than the Specialized Sport Touring (which are heavy). Do you have any feel for how these run as far as sizing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck_O (Post 13215010)
If you want a stiffer SPD shoe that you can walk in, with plenty of room in the toebox for wider feet, i recommend these.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...road/2/SH-RT31

The Shimano SH-RT31. The Sole is stiffer then their MTB shoes, but not quite as stiff as their dedicated SPD-SL system shoes. So its still relatively easy to walk around in for short distances.


If you want a more secure strapping system over the RT31's two velcro straps, and have an LBS that can order out of a Shinmano EU/World catalog, you might want to check out the SH-RT81 with a ratcheting top strap, and two velcro, or the SH-RT52, which has a three strap velcro system.

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/...-.sh_road.html
http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/...-.sh_road.html


sstorkel 09-12-11 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggziff (Post 13148407)
I've tried on the Specialized Sport Touring shoe and it seems quite stiff, SPD ready and reasonably priced at ~$85 at the LBS. So...what do you ride with and why? Have you switched from SPD to SPD-SL stuff and had a great experience? Got a shoe you love and want to recommend?

I've been very happy with my Specialized BG Comp mountain bike shoes. They're a much better fit for my feet than any of the Shimano shoes I've owned previously.

Personally, I can't see any reason to switch from SPD to SPD-SL pedals. Two-sided engagement and being able to walk around are more important to me than saving a few grams with SPD-SL pedals.

EspressoExpress 09-12-11 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck_O (Post 13215010)
If you want a stiffer SPD shoe that you can walk in, with plenty of room in the toebox for wider feet, i recommend these.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...road/2/SH-RT31

The Shimano SH-RT31. The Sole is stiffer then their MTB shoes, but not quite as stiff as their dedicated SPD-SL system shoes. So its still relatively easy to walk around in for short distances.


If you want a more secure strapping system over the RT31's two velcro straps, and have an LBS that can order out of a Shinmano EU/World catalog, you might want to check out the SH-RT81 with a ratcheting top strap, and two velcro, or the SH-RT52, which has a three strap velcro system.

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/...-.sh_road.html
http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/...-.sh_road.html

Spot on info here. The SH-RT31 shoes are stiff even with just two velcro straps. I found them much stiffer than many much more expensive shoes. I found they gave me excellent support. I ended up buying them. I have very wide feet and the velcro hasnt shown any sign of failing me after almost 4 months of moderate usage. Walking is very easy though you will always find yourself stepping on some little thing that will make it go crunch.

Seve 09-12-11 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmericanMag (Post 13211940)
Thanks for the lesson! I was looking at shoes in the local shop and didn't know if I needed to get a pair of biking specific shoes or if I am OK with the standard jogging shoes.

You certainly don't need special cycling shoes.

Your jogging shoes are fine although there are some advantages to having a shoe with a stiffer sole and less flex than a sneaker, as such most cycling shoes have rigid soles.

Buck_O 09-13-11 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggziff (Post 13215883)
Thanks...We don't have any shops locally that sell these so I'd have to order them blind, but...I do like the look better than the Specialized Sport Touring (which are heavy). Do you have any feel for how these run as far as sizing?

I wear a EU size 45. My daily shoes are Nike Cross Training and Running shoes, and this has always been the size that works best for me.

Those specific style of Shimano shoes seem to run true to size for what you would expect for a cycling shoe. That is to say, they are a little tight. But that is what you want them to be. As a floppy shoe would just generate hot spots while riding. Primary concern should always be the way it feels on the bike connected to the pedal after 20+ miles.

I almost bought a pair of the specialized sport touring shoes, but went with the Shimanos instead, and here is why. I did not like the style of the Specialized show. It had a feeling that seemed to emphasize that it was more oriented toward the ability to walk, then the ability to ride a bicycle. I also felt there was a little to much flex in the sole of the shoe. I also didnt like that it felt heavy in the heel. Whether this was from the actual weight of the sole, or from the shape of the footbed, i dont know, but that was the perceived effect. I did not like the placement of the cleat either. It seems like they adjusted the cleat location to compensate for the shape of the footbed to put your foot in a more postured position. But in the end neither the walking, nor the cycling felt comfortable. Weight wise, both shoes are actually pretty much the same. The Shimano shoes arent racing shoes, and they dont claim to be. So there arent many considerations on weight. And for what its worth, the Shimano shoes seemed better built. The Specialized shoes just looked like they wouldnt last over time with the weight and torque they would be subjected to. The Shimano shoes arent the most comfortable things to walk in, but they arent completely awkward either. And i will gladly sacrifice some walking performance for far superior pedaling performance. And once i pared them up with the A600 pedals, they were even better. I seriously doubt that i could find much difference in performance with an SPD-SL pedal over these. With perhaps the exception of a possible weight savings. But with what i weigh, i would be better off adding fiber to my diet to shave weight from my bike, if you catch my drift.

Sorry if that was a little long winded, and as always your mileage may vary, but i wanted to give you plenty of info to make an informed decision.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:03 PM.