Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-29-11, 09:50 AM   #1
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling
Thread Starter
 
dcrowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Camping Ride

I needed to get away this past weekend, so I did.

I rode 43 miles on Saturday, loaded with camping gear to a state park just west of Corydon Indiana. It was hilly and scenic. I enjoyed a late lunch/early dinner at a restaurant in Corydon.

I didn't bring cooking supplies and just ate some snacks that I had brought along.

Sunday morning I had to ride 10 miles to get to Corydon for coffee and breakfast. That was motivation!

I took a long, meandering ride around southern Indiana with another stop in Charlestown for pizza and beer. I made it home about 10:30pm with nearly 90 miles for the day, or over 130 for the weekend.

I still haven't pulled pictures off the camera or the tracks off of the GPS, but it was a great way to spend a weekend.
dcrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 10:01 AM   #2
Mithrandir
Senior Member
 
Mithrandir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail
Posts: 2,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cool!

I've been thinking of perhaps doing a weekend "tour", splitting my planned "there and back" century in two, 50 miles each day, just to test out the route before I attempt to do it all at once. I'd probably not take camping gear though; stay in a motel.

I cannot imagine riding with no breakfast in me. Heh.
Mithrandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 10:09 AM   #3
Neil_B
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrowell View Post
I needed to get away this past weekend, so I did.

I rode 43 miles on Saturday, loaded with camping gear to a state park just west of Corydon Indiana. It was hilly and scenic. I enjoyed a late lunch/early dinner at a restaurant in Corydon.

I didn't bring cooking supplies and just ate some snacks that I had brought along.

Sunday morning I had to ride 10 miles to get to Corydon for coffee and breakfast. That was motivation!

I took a long, meandering ride around southern Indiana with another stop in Charlestown for pizza and beer. I made it home about 10:30pm with nearly 90 miles for the day, or over 130 for the weekend.

I still haven't pulled pictures off the camera or the tracks off of the GPS, but it was a great way to spend a weekend.
You are my Hoosier hero. I wanna be you when I grow up. :-)
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 11:31 AM   #4
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling
Thread Starter
 
dcrowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_B View Post
You are my Hoosier hero. I wanna be you when I grow up. :-)
Hero? No way.

I'm just a slow-and-steady clyde. I averaged 10mph on Saturday, and about 9mph on Sunday.

The weather was PERFECT! mid-80s and sunny on Saturday, mid-60s overnight with a breeze, and low-80s breezy and mostly sunny on Sunday. I couldn't have asked for better weather.
dcrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 11:38 AM   #5
gunner65 
Senior Member
 
gunner65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lexington KY
Bikes: Salsa Casseroll for Street and Airborne Hobgoblin for dirt
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Way to go sounds like a blast combines my two favorite hobbies.
gunner65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 12:37 PM   #6
Rona
Senior Member
 
Rona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Groningen, Netherlands
Bikes: Pre-Grant Peterson Bridgestone Mixte, Gazelle Champion Mondial Semirace Mixte
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Woot!
I'm originally from Kokomo... I bet you had a lovely time!
Rona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 02:04 PM   #7
motobecane69
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 1,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
Cool!

I've been thinking of perhaps doing a weekend "tour", splitting my planned "there and back" century in two, 50 miles each day, just to test out the route before I attempt to do it all at once. I'd probably not take camping gear though; stay in a motel.

I cannot imagine riding with no breakfast in me. Heh.
I would argue that doing back to back days of 50miles as a clyde just may be tougher than an actual century, I'd advise against it.
motobecane69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 03:40 PM   #8
Mithrandir
Senior Member
 
Mithrandir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail
Posts: 2,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobecane69 View Post
I would argue that doing back to back days of 50miles as a clyde just may be tougher than an actual century, I'd advise against it.
Due to soreness I presume? I was wondering if that would be a concern.
Mithrandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 04:47 PM   #9
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling
Thread Starter
 
dcrowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
Due to soreness I presume? I was wondering if that would be a concern.
I was fine on day 2. I'm really sore today though. I rode a whole 7.3 miles (round-trip commute) and that's all I'm doing today.
dcrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 04:48 PM   #10
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling
Thread Starter
 
dcrowell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rona View Post
Woot!
I'm originally from Kokomo... I bet you had a lovely time!
I did. I'm familiar with Kokomo. The auto industry decline has done a number on that town.
dcrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-11, 05:15 PM   #11
Northwestrider
Senior Member
 
Northwestrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB
Posts: 2,453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Sounds like a very nice tour, waiting for photo's.
Northwestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-11, 03:12 AM   #12
Rona
Senior Member
 
Rona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Groningen, Netherlands
Bikes: Pre-Grant Peterson Bridgestone Mixte, Gazelle Champion Mondial Semirace Mixte
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrowell View Post
I did. I'm familiar with Kokomo. The auto industry decline has done a number on that town.
Yeah... my dad is retired there and he says it's horrible. He recently bought some bikes at garage sales and donating them to the unemployed so they could get around without cars. I'm really proud of him. He's one of the lucky ones who's managing.

We used to bike up around Mississinewa. Flat, but swimming and fishing in the afternoons
Rona is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:11 PM.