Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    [IMG]http://i4.photobucke jeepseahawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Inland Empire, CA
    Posts
    737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Finally got fitted on bike

    After being a tight azz and one determined to fix my own things, I went against my rules and got a bike fitting. Reason, my shoulders, hands and lower back are killing me, especially after completing my first century.
    I learned a lot, first thing is that my body resembles an ape, long torso and skinny short legs, the fitter used a better description though. He pointed out that the current specs kept me all scrunched up and it inflamed the aformentioned muscles. He dialed in my legs first, by adjusting my seat back and aligning my knees to the pedal shaft (balls of feet). Second adjustment dealt with cockpit, he put a 130mm stem on and placed upwards. He messed with my cleats a little but said they were ok, my eyeballs got that one right at least. Now I am in a more upright position but stretched out, more of my weight is supported by my buttocks instead of my hands and shoulders.
    Hopefully this will give me more comfort.
    After all these drastic adjustments I asked if the bike was the right size, yes it is. A 58cm jams up into my boys pretty good (actually have to tip-toe a little) even though my apelike torso would want it, 56cm is the right size he stated, just have to stretch it out.
    Figure 30 miles tomorrow will give me an idea if it works, will report my findings.
    Oh, just in case someone asks - couple mm under 6 ft tall, 225 weight

  2. #2
    Junior Member Blutarsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    50,000ft & > mach
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAD3
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to do the same, the mechanics are just too different than I'm able to figure out at this point - and that stings. I've always been able to tear down and perfectly rebuild everything i've ever owned (mom = not a fan of 2 stroke carburetor disassembly in the kitchen sink, BTW) but I just don't get it yet. I don't have the pains yet, but something just doesn't feel right so I'm going to break down and do it.

    Just as soon as I live somewhere not called Japan. I can find a bathroom, but the nuances of expressing ideas is another ball of wax. Glad to hear it worked (being positive here) out for you.

  3. #3
    [IMG]http://i4.photobucke jeepseahawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Inland Empire, CA
    Posts
    737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I hope it does work, my local shop has a cat 1 coach/fitter do all their fittings. He charges 99 for the pro fit (the one I got) and 189 for the whole computer set up, I have seen some basic fittings at 59 at other stores though. Dialing in a road bike is just not the same as my mountain bike, I needed help.

  4. #4
    2nd Amendment Cyclist RichardGlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cary, NC
    My Bikes
    Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex
    Posts
    1,037
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time you shop for a bike, get a compact frame with a sloping top tube and size up. That should give you the extra torso length you want, while still letting your dachshund legs reach the ground when you're not in the saddle.
    DFL > DNF > DNS
    Clydesdales: Bringing the Horse Power
    Cycling Blog

  5. #5
    [IMG]http://i4.photobucke jeepseahawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Inland Empire, CA
    Posts
    737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had to google compact frame, still learning, thanks for the advice. My bike, cannonadale caad10 seems to fit the description of a compact or I am confused, the top tube slopes up. Going for a good ride shortly, will find out how the new fit works with my body.

  6. #6
    [IMG]http://i4.photobucke jeepseahawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Inland Empire, CA
    Posts
    737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took the bike out for a good ride and it was much more comfortable. My stem has not come in yet but he placed my 110mm in a better position, still feeling it in my shoulders but back is good. The one thing he told me to practice on is my posture (spelling), try to keep back straight while leaned over. My hands did not feel the pain as usual so the butt is taking more weight like its supposed to. I was worried about my boys hurting with the added weight on the saddle but they did good.

  7. #7
    Senior Member gunner65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lexington KY
    My Bikes
    Salsa Casseroll for Street and Airborne Hobgoblin for dirt
    Posts
    472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepseahawk View Post
    Took the bike out for a good ride and it was much more comfortable. My stem has not come in yet but he placed my 110mm in a better position, still feeling it in my shoulders but back is good. The one thing he told me to practice on is my posture (spelling), try to keep back straight while leaned over. My hands did not feel the pain as usual so the butt is taking more weight like its supposed to. I was worried about my boys hurting with the added weight on the saddle but they did good.
    Try to roll your hips forward that forces you to sit on your sits bones. This also forces your back to straighten.

  8. #8
    2nd Amendment Cyclist RichardGlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cary, NC
    My Bikes
    Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex
    Posts
    1,037
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner65 View Post
    Try to roll your hips forward that forces you to sit on your sits bones. This also forces your back to straighten.
    Big +1 on this.

    But you will need to work on your lower back and ab muscles. Try planks (google if you need to). After doing those (multiple sets, 3x a week, etc) for a few weeks, Add a few pushups to the start of your routine to help strengthen your upper back, shoulders, and arms.

    Also... situps, ab crunches, etc...


    Building core muscle strength will help your posture both on and off the bike. It'll help you ride longer with less pain. It's something that many cyclists neglect.
    DFL > DNF > DNS
    Clydesdales: Bringing the Horse Power
    Cycling Blog

  9. #9
    [IMG]http://i4.photobucke jeepseahawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Inland Empire, CA
    Posts
    737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that is exactly how the fitter explained it, roll hips forward. I am doing that now but have to train on it, bad habits sometimes take a little while to overcome. I did correct myself on that last ride because my lower back did not hurt at all.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardGlover View Post
    Big +1 on this.

    But you will need to work on your lower back and ab muscles. Try planks (google if you need to). After doing those (multiple sets, 3x a week, etc) for a few weeks, Add a few pushups to the start of your routine to help strengthen your upper back, shoulders, and arms.

    Also... situps, ab crunches, etc...


    Building core muscle strength will help your posture both on and off the bike. It'll help you ride longer with less pain. It's something that many cyclists neglect.
    Sounds like something I need to start doing. Thanks

  11. #11
    Senior Member Profgumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Menominee MI
    My Bikes
    Giant Sedona, Giant Trance 2, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 2011 Schwinn LeTour Classic
    Posts
    158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really need to take my road warrior to a shop and get a pro level fitting. I am not really uncomfortable but I too am built like an ape with a long torso and bought a big frame for the top tube. I was going to get a Waterford or a Seven frame built and build off that but the funds...oh the funds... I am really curious if I got it close to what a pro fit would be and it is worth 100 bucks (or whatever) for me to find out.
    No, really! I meant to skip off that rock, bounce off that tree and face plant in the creek!
    I falled down!

  12. #12
    Senior Member Allen55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marietta, Ga
    Posts
    312
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to get fitted on my bike as well. Funds are a problem, though. I also want clip less pedals and cleats, but again the funds...seems like a pattern.
    Allen
    Riding since 09-16-2011
    TREK 7000

  13. #13
    Senior Member tunavic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Redlands, CA
    My Bikes
    '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH
    Posts
    398
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepseahawk View Post
    Thanks, I hope it does work, my local shop has a cat 1 coach/fitter do all their fittings. He charges 99 for the pro fit (the one I got) and 189 for the whole computer set up, I have seen some basic fittings at 59 at other stores though. Dialing in a road bike is just not the same as my mountain bike, I needed help.
    Which shop did the fitting?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •