I am sure that countless times many of you here on the C/A sub forum have completed many centuries.
I recently completed a Century+. I participated in the 2011 El Tour de Tucson this past Saturday. It is a 111 mile trek around the perimeter of Tucson Arizona.
It has been a goal of mine to finish a century ride and that I did. I finished in 6:56:57:68 according to the timing with about 6:20 in the saddle. I was riding with friends from the next town over and eventually I was riding solo as far as people I knew.
This is probably just one of many centuries to come, but I did learn a few things.
1. Training is something that I probably should have done more of.
2. At the 75 mile mark, my legs were giving out and were just plain sore.
3. Endurance is something that is gained over time.
4. People with super expensive bikes don't necessarily ride better.
5. Being in the saddle for 6+ hours is a LONG TIME!
6. One pedal stroke after the other will keep you going.
Here is a picture from just after the finish. tdt1.jpg
I am the dude in the red jersey!
Hope you guys have a great day!