Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   Alternate Saddle for Brooks-Loving Athena? (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/783773-alternate-saddle-brooks-loving-athena.html)

rhiannonstone 11-26-11 07:33 PM

Alternate Saddle for Brooks-Loving Athena?
 
As I've been riding it a bit more, I'm realizing that it's time to replace the saddle that came on my Swift folder, which is too narrow (doesn't support me well enough) and has a long, weirdly sharp nose (not comfortable for my ladybits, and has managed to poke a hole in my pants!). I've got a Brooks leather saddle (B 16) on my road bike and I love it, but I don't want something that expensive--particularly that recognizably expensive--on a bike with such an easily-removable seatpost. Replacing the quick-release levers on the seatpost isn't an option, since that's how the bike folds. Is there anything else out there that's similar in form and function to the Brooks but maybe doesn't scream "Steal me!" quite so loudly? Or any other great women's saddles I should look into?

Shimagnolo 11-26-11 07:43 PM

For Brooks-like saddles, check out the Cardiff saddles at the bottom of the page: http://store.somafab.com/seandse.html

Mithrandir 11-26-11 07:46 PM

Forgive me for asking, but isn't part of the allure of folders that you can take them with you and not worry about it or parts of it going missing?

rhiannonstone 11-26-11 08:15 PM

Mithrandir, that's a valid question. But the Swift doesn't fold up as tiny and compact as a Bike Friday or a Dahon, so it's not quite as go-anywhere as they are. I'll fold it up and bring it into the coffee shop with me, no problem, but it's a little too unwieldy to bring into the small restaurants around here or haul in and out of stores while I'm running errands after work. So I end up locking it up outside a couple times a week, and in precisely the sorts of places where expensive-looking easy-to-remove items are likely to go missing.

Fern53 11-27-11 06:00 AM

I'm not familiar with folders, so my thought may not be practical-but can you just remove the seatpost/saddle in these instances, carry a sleeve with you to slip it in, and take it with you

late 11-27-11 07:35 AM

Get the Brooks. Then get a Brooks saddle cover.

http://www.amazon.com/Brooks-England...2400867&sr=8-1

People don't consider saddles intrinsically valuable, IOW, out of sight, out of mind.

Btw, did you mean the B67? That would take the large cover.

Nightshade 11-27-11 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhiannonstone (Post 13535446)
As I've been riding it a bit more, I'm realizing that it's time to replace the saddle that came on my Swift folder, which is too narrow (doesn't support me well enough) and has a long, weirdly sharp nose (not comfortable for my ladybits, and has managed to poke a hole in my pants!). I've got a Brooks leather saddle (B 16) on my road bike and I love it, but I don't want something that expensive--particularly that recognizably expensive--on a bike with such an easily-removable seatpost. Replacing the quick-release levers on the seatpost isn't an option, since that's how the bike folds. Is there anything else out there that's similar in form and function to the Brooks but maybe doesn't scream "Steal me!" quite so loudly? Or any other great women's saddles I should look into?

Buy your Brooks used from E-bay so it will be beat up and not so tempting to a thief.

HGR3inOK 11-27-11 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightshade (Post 13537247)
Buy your Brooks used from E-bay so it will be beat up and not so tempting to a thief.

Keep in mind that Brooks saddles are designed to conform to the rider's sit bones. Buying a used Brooks is similar to buying a used pair of shoes. ;)

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA

Nightshade 11-27-11 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HGR3inOK (Post 13537519)
Keep in mind that Brooks saddles are designed to conform to the rider's sit bones. Buying a used Brooks is similar to buying a used pair of shoes. ;)

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA

All true. That said, I found out that if you soak an old used Brooks in a tub of hot water overnight then let it dry in the sun it will dry and harden up to be re-shaped to your sit bones.

rhiannonstone 11-27-11 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by late (Post 13536445)
Get the Brooks. Then get a Brooks saddle cover.

http://www.amazon.com/Brooks-England...2400867&sr=8-1

People don't consider saddles intrinsically valuable, IOW, out of sight, out of mind.

Btw, did you mean the B67? That would take the large cover.

Whoops, I meant B17. Silly fingers.

This is certainly a more appealing and practical option than removing the seatpost entirely and carrying it around with me. I'm still kinda curious about other potential saddles, though.

ThermionicScott 11-28-11 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by late (Post 13536445)
Get the Brooks. Then get a Brooks saddle cover.

http://www.amazon.com/Brooks-England...2400867&sr=8-1

People don't consider saddles intrinsically valuable, IOW, out of sight, out of mind.

Btw, did you mean the B67? That would take the large cover.

Looks like they finally took their logo off the cover. The last thing you want is a cover that screams "Hey look! There's a Brooks saddle under here!" ;)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:08 AM.