Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NZ
    My Bikes
    More than 1, but, less than S-1
    Posts
    3,807
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Completed my first century in 13 years yesterday and lost 15 kilo's in preparing.

    A few months ago Mrs. Fred and I said enough is enough to the midlife scale movements and started counting calories. I also committed to a century to be ridden with several friends. The last three months have seen 15 kilos come off. Clothes that have been in the closet for a long while are being worn again. And, to top it off,.... I finished yesterdays rather hilly, and definately windy Taupo Cycle Challenge in 7:35. Not fast, but, I didn't suffer either. Woohoo!
    Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,929
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    great job!

    But I under understand the Fred thing in your signature area.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the cycling community calling someone a "Fred" is a putdown.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    152
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done, BigFred. It is great to see some people fight against that which others perceive as inevitable.

  5. #5
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paisan View Post
    In the cycling community calling someone a "Fred" is a putdown.
    Except among commuters and tourists. Then it could be praise.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_B View Post
    Except among commuters and tourists. Then it could be praise.
    No. This is only true for those people who purposely do things outside the norm because it gives them a false sense of satisfaction to be "different".

    But don't kid yourself, Commuters and cyclo tourists still use the term "fred" as a putdown, they just use a different criteria for the definition because they tend to favor function over form and some of the things they do could be considered "fredly" by the normal definition.

    Another poster was calling people "freds" in a different thread a few weeks back. He's a commuter, I doubt he was giving people "praise" .

  7. #7
    Senior Member david58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South of Salem, North of Eugene
    Posts
    1,819
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job on the ride!

    I hope Mrs. Fred is riding as well - my wife's riding is one of my favorite things about resuming cycling. We both get to become fit enjoying the same workout together.

    And ignore the Fred put-down stuff. Simply uncooth elitism.

    Proudly a Fred!

  8. #8
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paisan View Post
    No. This is only true for those people who purposely do things outside the norm because it gives them a false sense of satisfaction to be "different".

    But don't kid yourself, Commuters and cyclo tourists still use the term "fred" as a putdown, they just use a different criteria for the definition because they tend to favor function over form and some of the things they do could be considered "fredly" by the normal definition.

    Another poster was calling people "freds" in a different thread a few weeks back. He's a commuter, I doubt he was giving people "praise" .
    Sorry, there's a logic fail here. First of all, what is the "norm" for cycling? Roadie? If so, then "Fred" is usually an insult. Its often misapplied by roadies to people better described as "poseur", AKA folks with expensive road bikes who have to walk up small rises. Or other roadies who don't meet "the standard" - said standard being a mirror image of themselves.

    If you accept that there's more to riding than fast as possible from point A to point B, then you may not accept "Fred" as an insult. And when you consider that it's possible the term derived from a real cycle tourist, Fred Birchmore:

    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...the-World.html

    Also, you can find people on Bike Forums using the term as a compliment, or adopting it much as Americans adopted the insult "Yankee Doodle" as their own.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Mithrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    My Bikes
    2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail
    Posts
    2,287
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a Fred.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,929
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am with mith,

    "Hi! my name is Fred"

  11. #11
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Posts
    25,914
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chefisaac View Post
    I am with mith,

    "Hi! my name is Fred"
    Same here....
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_B View Post
    Sorry, there's a logic fail here. First of all, what is the "norm" for cycling? Roadie? If so, then "Fred" is usually an insult. Its often misapplied by roadies to people better described as "poseur", AKA folks with expensive road bikes who have to walk up small rises. Or other roadies who don't meet "the standard" - said standard being a mirror image of themselves.

    If you accept that there's more to riding than fast as possible from point A to point B, then you may not accept "Fred" as an insult. And when you consider that it's possible the term derived from a real cycle tourist, Fred Birchmore:
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...the-World.html

    Also, you can find people on Bike Forums using the term as a compliment, or adopting it much as Americans adopted the insult "Yankee Doodle" as their own.
    There are numerous lists floating around describing what people consider the norms. I'm not going to dig them up, I'm sure you've read them. Whether or not I agree with them, calling someone a fred is not "praise". Regardless of where it "may" have started, it's a putdown. Plain and simple. Obviously some people have turned it into a tongue in cheek compliment, and many people proclaim to be freds for a laugh(as evidenced on this thread), the fact remains if you're on a ride and someone you don't know, calls you that I highly doubt he is giving you a compliment.

    For the record I was just answering Isaacs question. I didn't call anyone a fred, nor do I believe in calling anyone a fred. I've said this many times on this forum (and in person, to Neil no less) that "it's your ride, ride it how you want". My only crime in all of this is daring to question Neil on the fact that calling someone a fred is "praise".

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And weren't we both called Freds on the Peach ride Neil? I bet they were giving us compliments, right?

  14. #14
    Senior Member Mithrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    My Bikes
    2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail
    Posts
    2,287
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paisan View Post
    And weren't we both called Freds on the Peach ride Neil? I bet they were giving us compliments, right?
    Life's too short to spend your time caring what someone called you. In my experience, people who call others names are doing so because they have some deficiency themselves and are trying to make themselves feel better by putting someone else down. Eh. I don't care. People can call me Fred as much as they want. Heck, I'll do it for them. I won't be spending any time caring about it though- I'll be busy enjoying my bicycle.

    In the end, here's what it comes down to:

    "Anyone who rides a bike is a friend of mine"
    - Gary Fisher

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Life's too short to spend your time caring what someone called you. In my experience, people who call others names are doing so because they have some deficiency themselves and are trying to make themselves feel better by putting someone else down. Eh. I don't care. People can call me Fred as much as they want. Heck, I'll do it for them. I won't be spending any time caring about it though- I'll be busy enjoying my bicycle.

    In the end, here's what it comes down to:
    LoL thanks mith. I really could care less about what those people think of me. Chances are I'll never see any of them again. I was just trying to prove a point.

  16. #16
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paisan View Post
    And weren't we both called Freds on the Peach ride Neil? I bet they were giving us compliments, right?
    I wasn't called anything.

  17. #17
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paisan View Post
    My only crime in all of this is daring to question Neil on the fact that calling someone a fred is "praise".
    I'll let you have the last word. Least I can do after having pwnd you here:

    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post12276838

    "I'll be a Fred any day. I have the red panniers on a green bike and wear a red helmet. I've got the take a look mirror on my glasses and I ride with either tennis shoes in the summer and Gortex hikers in the wetter times of the year. I wear cargo pants that the legs zip off in the summer and when its cold I've got some REI Headwinds and my jacket doesn't match either. My bike has a kickstand too so thats really Freddy. Am I a Fred? I hope so."

    "I've never been called that AFAIK, but I agree with the previous posters who've said they'd either be proud or would not care. "

    "I know that "Fred" has two meanings. A cyclist who pays no attention to the dress code and can blow you away, and a poseur. From study, I'm pretty sure that the first definition is the original as the background story is more solid. I've read of at least two cyclists actually named Fred who could be the prototype for the concept. Fred Birchmore and Freddie Hoffman. I think that Roadies just invented the second meaning trying to eliminate the original concept."

    "If someone calls me a Fred I will always take that as a compliment... thinking of the inestimable Fred Birchmore who was / is so much more than a world class cyclist but a world class athlete and human being."

    "I have never been called a Fred except by people that I respected and I knew it was a compliment."

  18. #18
    Getting a clue engstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Plano, TX
    My Bikes
    2010 Trek Madone 4.7, Diamondback Wildwood
    Posts
    415
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_B View Post
    My bike has a kickstand too so thats really Freddy.
    No no no, the adjective is fredly not freddy.

  19. #19
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by engstrom View Post
    No no no, the adjective is fredly not freddy.
    I defer to people who are more Fred-like than I am. :-)

  20. #20
    Bulky Bullet Sayre Kulp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, FL
    My Bikes
    Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_B View Post
    I'll let you have the last word. Least I can do after having pwnd you here:
    Woah! Slow your roll there, Sparky. I don't think you "pwnd" anybody.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_B View Post
    "I have never been called a Fred except by people that I respected and I knew it was a compliment."
    And that's all well and good, however I have to agree with paisan on this one. Regardless of which of the definitions of the term you personally subscribe to, calling someone a "Fred" is not "praise". It never has been. You may not find it offensive, and clearly many folks affectionately refer to themselves as Freds; just as I am not ashamed to carry the lable of "bulky" when describing my riding style. But that doesn't change what the word means. If someone calls me chunky, fat, chubby, bulky, etcetera, they're right. Just because it doesn't bother me doesn't mean that it's "praise." A derisive term is what it is.
    "Obstacles don't like me very much. I make them look bad."

  21. #21
    Getting a clue engstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Plano, TX
    My Bikes
    2010 Trek Madone 4.7, Diamondback Wildwood
    Posts
    415
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neil_b View Post
    i defer to people who are more fred-like than i am. :-)
    lol!

  22. #22
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayre Kulp View Post
    Woah! Slow your roll there, Sparky. I don't think you "pwnd" anybody.
    Your thoughts are pretty much irrelevant.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_B View Post
    I wasn't called anything.
    Because you didn’t hear it or refuse to acknowledge it, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

    so you pull out one thread of people saying it doesn’t bother them. They even acknowledge it's a putdown but say they don't care. Just because they don't care doesn't negate the fact that it is a put down. Walk into any shop and ask them the meaning. Chances are they are going to say it’s a put down.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_B View Post
    "I know that "Fred" has two meanings. A cyclist who pays no attention to the dress code and can blow you away, and a poseur. From study, I'm pretty sure that the first definition is the original as the background story is more solid. I've read of at least two cyclists actually named Fred who could be the prototype for the concept. Fred Birchmore and Freddie Hoffman. I think that Roadies just invented the second meaning trying to eliminate the original concept."
    The term “Fred” is much like the term “Barney” in skiing, or the term "squid" in the Navy. It's not a compliment. The fact that two athletes from a century ago were named Fred cannot be proven to be the origin of the derogatory term that is used today. Everything regarding that is just speculation. Even if they were the origin of the term, it doesn’t mean some guy is giving you a compliment in 2011 when he calls you the name of a cyclist from the early 1900's.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_B View Post
    I'll let you have the last word. Least I can do after having pwnd you here:
    LOL, Pwnd? Really? How old are you exactly oh self proclaimed hero of the C/A forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_B View Post
    Your thoughts are pretty much irrelevant.
    There you go buddy, the true colors come out. Good job Neil. Show the rest of the forum how you really are. You know the real person that can’t stand being disagreed with… How dare Sayre to not submit to your greatness. .

    Again, You can try to color this any way you want. Isaac asked a question, I answered it. If you don’t like the answer.. oh well. But it was a valid answer.

    Again, Walk into any shop and ask them the meaning. Chances are they are going to say it’s a put down.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_(bicycling)

  24. #24
    Bulky Bullet Sayre Kulp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, FL
    My Bikes
    Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_B View Post
    Your thoughts are pretty much irrelevant.
    A little uncalled for, don't you think? My fault. I forgot that your opinions were facts.
    "Obstacles don't like me very much. I make them look bad."

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shame on you Sayre. You only have 893 posts. How dare you question someone with 14,000 posts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •