Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-21-11, 01:27 PM   #1
ill.clyde
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ill.clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Green Bay
Bikes: 2012 Kona Jake, 2009 Trek 1.2, 1997 Trek 6700
Posts: 2,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fellow clyde warriors ... anyone ever have hammertoe surgery?

Wondering what the recovery is like, and when I could expect to get back on my bike if I have it?

Plotting my 2012 fitness/health/weight goals and I'd like to run again, but I have a painful hammertoe on my left foot that makes a lot of running difficult.

Assuming I"ll need surgery on it, but haven't been to the doc yet.

Anyone have any insight?
ill.clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-11, 01:34 PM   #2
kc0yef
Senior Member
 
kc0yef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Olympia WA
Bikes: Bill Stevenson Kawai, 1973 Paramount, Voyageur SP, Nishiki; KOKUSAI & Competition, Bridgestone; RBT RB-T & Kabuki Submariner, Mercian; Campionissimo, TriA, Superlight, , Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Gitane TDF
Posts: 1,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh my... I didn't but my wife did... a couple weeks with just one toe...

The only Poditrist I would go to in the US is Geoffrey Brickerwww.geoffreybrickerdpm.com/ Springfield, MO 65803 (417) 837-4191 I know that is far but call him and see who he would recommend in your area he is simply the best...
kc0yef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-11, 03:44 PM   #3
Bent Bill
Senior Member
 
Bent Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Lake County IL
Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2 Giant Frankenbike Trek Utopia Canondale 3.0 Sun Easy Racer Tadpole Schwinn Tandem Cheap Unicycle
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My wife had bunion surgery and also surgery for a broken ankle by this Dr
http://physicians-and-surgeons.cmac....ian-dpm/60492/
Bent Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-11, 06:13 PM   #4
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles
 
Daspydyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Btw the Mohave desert and AREA 51
Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20
Posts: 5,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a friend who has/had problems with Hammer toe. A different surgeon did a surgery for crushed nerves in his thighs. He carries quite a bit of weight and has been a truck driver for 35 years. After the surgery the toes straightened out. You might ask about that while you are weighing options.
__________________
I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Daspydyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-11, 01:04 PM   #5
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill.clyde View Post
Wondering what the recovery is like, and when I could expect to get back on my bike if I have it?

Plotting my 2012 fitness/health/weight goals and I'd like to run again, but I have a painful hammertoe on my left foot that makes a lot of running difficult.

Assuming I"ll need surgery on it, but haven't been to the doc yet.

Anyone have any insight?
As with any major surgery let your surgeon be your guide.

One thing you might do help yourself along is make sure that your surgeon fully understands how important cycling is to you.
__________________
My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-11, 03:25 PM   #6
Closed Office
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Bikes:
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A close relative of mine (a little too close, I sometimes think ) had a bunion removed by surgery. She was off work for about 10 days from that. It surprised me. I always thought of that kind of recovery time for major operations.
Closed Office is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-12, 10:56 AM   #7
ill.clyde
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ill.clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Green Bay
Bikes: 2012 Kona Jake, 2009 Trek 1.2, 1997 Trek 6700
Posts: 2,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Funny how these things evolve ...

So I went to a podiatrist, went well, told me the surgery would be quick, recovery would be about four weeks, etc ...

He wanted me to get a physical before we scheduled the surgery.

Reasonable enough.

Had the physical last night ... my doc is "concerned" about my blood pressure (diastolic was 90 - which seems nit picky to me but whatever), then she takes the briefest of looks into my throat, says my airway back there is "narrow" and starts asking if I snore, if I feel tired, if I don't sleep well.

I don't know if I snore, at times I've been told I do but only when sleeping on my back, do I feel tired? No, not really. Sleep well? Sure ... I wake up once in the night to pee, but that's it.

Now she's insisting on a sleep study before surgery, because I may have "sleep apnea" and she's worried my breathing could be an issue when I'm out for surgery. Really?

Is this really necessary or is she just greasing another person's palm???

ARGH!

So the study is scheduled for March 9.

All of this, for a toe, SO I CAN RUN AND CONTINUE GETTING IN BETTER SHAPE! ARGH! LOL
ill.clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-12, 12:14 PM   #8
LemondFanForeve
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pasadena, CA(for now)
Bikes:
Posts: 1,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pardon my ignorance here:

A) what causes "hammertoe"?
B) is it just another word for bunion?
LemondFanForeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-12, 12:30 PM   #9
ill.clyde
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ill.clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Green Bay
Bikes: 2012 Kona Jake, 2009 Trek 1.2, 1997 Trek 6700
Posts: 2,045
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Technically, I have what is known as a mallet toe, not a hammer toe.

it's a toe that is longer than others, and for whatever reasons (ill-fitting shoes, etc) it becomes bent, and eventually over time it remains bent.

From the side, it looks like a mallet, without one side of the mallet head.

they remove a couple of small pieces of bone, "release" the tendon on the under side of the toe, and it is straightened
ill.clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-12, 01:54 PM   #10
imacflyr3
Senior Member
 
imacflyr3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: East Central Illinois
Bikes: Scattante road bike
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The airway thing is no joke. I had to have an emergency appendectomy a few years ago. The anesthesiologist looked me over right before i went in. He knew my throat was going to be a problem... I do have apnea, snore, tired, etc... and on a cpap.

When I went in for surgery, they had to put in an airway BEFORE they could put me under. The danger is my airway is too small to safely establish one if I'm unconscious. That was an experience I don't care to ever experience again! They used a needle to inject fluid through my neck, directly into my trachea. This made me cough, rather violently, which opened the airway so they could jab the tube down my throat. It literally took 4 people to hold my arms down while they did this!! BUT... the instant that tube was in, I was OUT! The next thing I remember is waking up in recovery with a VERY sore throat!

Best of luck if you have to go through anything even similar to this!
imacflyr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-12, 05:37 PM   #11
peteydink
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Arizona
Bikes: '10 Scattante CFR
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill.clyde View Post
Funny how these things evolve ...

So I went to a podiatrist, went well, told me the surgery would be quick, recovery would be about four weeks, etc ...

He wanted me to get a physical before we scheduled the surgery.

Reasonable enough.

Had the physical last night ... my doc is "concerned" about my blood pressure (diastolic was 90 - which seems nit picky to me but whatever), then she takes the briefest of looks into my throat, says my airway back there is "narrow" and starts asking if I snore, if I feel tired, if I don't sleep well.

I don't know if I snore, at times I've been told I do but only when sleeping on my back, do I feel tired? No, not really. Sleep well? Sure ... I wake up once in the night to pee, but that's it.

Now she's insisting on a sleep study before surgery, because I may have "sleep apnea" and she's worried my breathing could be an issue when I'm out for surgery. Really?

Is this really necessary or is she just greasing another person's palm???

ARGH!

So the study is scheduled for March 9.

All of this, for a toe, SO I CAN RUN AND CONTINUE GETTING IN BETTER SHAPE! ARGH! LOL
I would ask your doctor how a sleep study is going to change the way the surgery is performed with or without sleep apnea. I have had a number of surgeries and the anesthesiologist has never asked me if I had sleep apnea that I recall. I did have a sleep study because it was thought that it might be triggering my AFIB but not because I was going to have surgery.
peteydink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-12, 06:00 PM   #12
bobotech
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spokane, WA
Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520
Posts: 2,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacflyr3 View Post
The airway thing is no joke. I had to have an emergency appendectomy a few years ago. The anesthesiologist looked me over right before i went in. He knew my throat was going to be a problem... I do have apnea, snore, tired, etc... and on a cpap.

When I went in for surgery, they had to put in an airway BEFORE they could put me under. The danger is my airway is too small to safely establish one if I'm unconscious. That was an experience I don't care to ever experience again! They used a needle to inject fluid through my neck, directly into my trachea. This made me cough, rather violently, which opened the airway so they could jab the tube down my throat. It literally took 4 people to hold my arms down while they did this!! BUT... the instant that tube was in, I was OUT! The next thing I remember is waking up in recovery with a VERY sore throat!

Best of luck if you have to go through anything even similar to this!
Oh god, is that what they call the awake intubation? My wife (very heavy) had to have one about 9 years ago and it was horrible! I was going to have surgery to have my eyes fixed cosmetically and they could not safely put me down so they were going to awake intubate me. I did not want that so I never went though with the surgery.
bobotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:49 AM.