Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 912
  1. #176
    Captain Big Ring tractorlegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Locked by the Door
    My Bikes
    The Black Knight
    Posts
    2,022
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Week Six on the WW program complete. Lost 2.2 pounds this week, total 12.2 pounds lost, average loss just over 2 lbs per week. Right on schedule!
    **************************************************
    No Excuses

  2. #177
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    St. Pete, Fl
    My Bikes
    Trek 700 (2000ish), 88 Schwinn Voyaguer, late 80's-ish lugged Spalding mountain bike
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chefisaac View Post
    Jazz: Perhaps you could tell us what you normally eat and then we can take a look and compare. I started with 70 pts and now down to 65 pts. I would say perhaps a revap of the foods you are eating. Also perhaps start going to the meetings once a week. They keep me on track a lot and I love them and learn a lot too.

    You will need to eventually start to understand when you are full versus when you want to eat. This was tough for me until I read a book called "Mindless Eating". Take a look at it at amazon. If money is tight, drop me a pm and I will either send it to you or buy it for you. I want you to be successful. WW is a great tool, the meetings are truly amazing. I head so much of me in you when I read your post.

    Also, do not think that you need to eat after all your rides. If you are doing serious miles, yes, I can see that. I used to justify pizza for me riding 20-30 miles. NO WAY now. I pack a great lunch that is healthy and useful. Start seeing food as energy and put the best energy into you body. That doesnt mean you need to stop eating the stuff you love (for me it is chocolate and sooo much more! ) but just need to start working on the inner you. The "are you really hungry" thing and start understanding those cues. Please take a look at the book at least.
    I used to eat waayyyyy too much. I would eat a few eggs and toast in the morning (which I still have I just measure how much fat I'm adding and eat one less piece of toast). Then I would usually have a lunch that would have 8-9 oz of protein (not necessarily) lean. Like a sub or something like that, or worse yet Taco Bell. Sometimes I would eat tuna canned in olive oil thinking it was healthy not realizing how high in calories that stuff is. I'd eat at least as much food at dinner, and I would always end up eating too much. I have always eaten vegi's and always loved salad, fish, whole grains. My biggest problem hasn't been eating bad food (with the exception of fast food), its that I eat too much. I'll be honest. Its my drug of choice. Now I do measure all the volume stuff, and I stay the hell away from fast food (with the occasional subway as an exception but only in an emergency). What I need now is a food scale for the protein's mostly. I will get one next pay day along with that book, Chef. I appreciate the tip and the support. In general I no longer eat just because I rode. Yesterday I did 12.5 miles at what is for me a fairly good cadence (13.6 mi/hr). I didn't eat extra or anything like that. A few days earlier I did twenty and I couldn't get full for the rest of the day. No matter how much water I drank or how much fruit I ate or how big a salad I ate. I knew I had had enough food and that my stomoch wasn't empty I just couldn't shake the desire to eat. I ended up accepting that is just how I was going to feel that day and accepting that seemed to make it less severe. It just sucks and is probably the hardest thing for me to do is ignore my desire to eat. My biggest problem foods are probablly pizza and peanut butter. I can stop with the peanut butter by measuring an acceptable portion. Pizza.... well I'm not there...YET!

  3. #178
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,917
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzgeek79 View Post
    I used to eat waayyyyy too much. I would eat a few eggs and toast in the morning (which I still have I just measure how much fat I'm adding and eat one less piece of toast). Then I would usually have a lunch that would have 8-9 oz of protein (not necessarily) lean. Like a sub or something like that, or worse yet Taco Bell. Sometimes I would eat tuna canned in olive oil thinking it was healthy not realizing how high in calories that stuff is. I'd eat at least as much food at dinner, and I would always end up eating too much. I have always eaten vegi's and always loved salad, fish, whole grains. My biggest problem hasn't been eating bad food (with the exception of fast food), its that I eat too much. I'll be honest. Its my drug of choice. Now I do measure all the volume stuff, and I stay the hell away from fast food (with the occasional subway as an exception but only in an emergency). What I need now is a food scale for the protein's mostly. I will get one next pay day along with that book, Chef. I appreciate the tip and the support. In general I no longer eat just because I rode. Yesterday I did 12.5 miles at what is for me a fairly good cadence (13.6 mi/hr). I didn't eat extra or anything like that. A few days earlier I did twenty and I couldn't get full for the rest of the day. No matter how much water I drank or how much fruit I ate or how big a salad I ate. I knew I had had enough food and that my stomoch wasn't empty I just couldn't shake the desire to eat. I ended up accepting that is just how I was going to feel that day and accepting that seemed to make it less severe. It just sucks and is probably the hardest thing for me to do is ignore my desire to eat. My biggest problem foods are probablly pizza and peanut butter. I can stop with the peanut butter by measuring an acceptable portion. Pizza.... well I'm not there...YET!
    Again bro, let me know if you want me to send you the book. No problem here (and no pressure).

    You will have a hard time getting full on salad and fruit after a ride. Try using the Sandwich things. Peppridge farms and Arnolds makes them and they are only three points I think. Try eating a turkey sandwich with them and if you want some fat on it, try cheese like jack cheese and put in microwave for 30 seconds until the cheese melts.

    Try carrots and hummus.

    After a ride, you body needs and wants protein and if it is a hard ride, protein and carbs. But you can get this through lean protein (for me sometimes I eat some hard boiled eggs after a ride or lately, I have been loving 30 grams of peanut butter and one banana... mash it up and thank me later!).

    Have you ever tried PB2? Take a look: http://bellplantation.com/

    It is dried peanut butter. Mix in a little water and you have peanut butter. Now, I do not use it on bread. I save the real peanut butter for this. I use PB2 in cooking for a stir fry sauce. Example is PB2, soy sauce and a little water. Saute vegetables and chicken and finish with the sauce. Yummy! Or use as a dip.

    Somethings are not worth trying to make healthy like pizza. When it is pizza time for me, I cut myself off at two slices.

    I have the same issue as you. Portion control. Crap, I am a chef.... and its like being a crack addict working in a crack house. I got stuff all around me alllllll the time but I do have a bowl of fruit right by my desk.

    I also know when riding all the time, I can eat a little more. Hence "a little".

    You got this bro.

  4. #179
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,917
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    trac: great job! right on schedule!!!!!!!!

  5. #180
    Senior Member rec3036's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, Ocean County , NJ
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 Disc 21 inch frame
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chefisaac View Post
    Try carrots and hummus.
    the only way I eat hummus now.... one of my friends at WW turned me on to that....AWESOME!!!!
    Russ


    MS = Life Changing Not Life Ending

    I ride like there is no tomorrow, since for me there could be no tomorrow on the bike.

    My MS bike page: http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=17956

  6. #181
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,917
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hummus is great on flat bread when you melt cheese on it with turkey! he he he

  7. #182
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    St. Pete, Fl
    My Bikes
    Trek 700 (2000ish), 88 Schwinn Voyaguer, late 80's-ish lugged Spalding mountain bike
    Posts
    112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey thanks Chef. I used to cook for a living as well so I know how hard it is to be around food all the time. And lets face it pro kitchens don't always have the healthiest choices around. Thanks for posting that site. They sell the PB2 at a hospital gift shop not far from where I live. My fiance and I were going to head to a bike trail north of their this afternoon so I am gonna call and see if they have some in stock and try it today. I will DEFINATELY give the banana peanut butter mix a shot.

  8. #183
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,917
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Jazz: just sent you an email.

    Just remember when using the PB2 to not add to much water!

  9. #184
    Senior Member imacflyr3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    East Central Illinois
    My Bikes
    Scattante road bike
    Posts
    150
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    down 1.6 this evening. So, I made it under my high school weight of 250!

    Onward and downward!

  10. #185
    Captain Big Ring tractorlegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Locked by the Door
    My Bikes
    The Black Knight
    Posts
    2,022
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imacflyr3 View Post
    down 1.6 this evening. So, I made it under my high school weight of 250!

    Onward and downward!
    Congratulations! I love the "Onward and Downward"!
    **************************************************
    No Excuses

  11. #186
    Senior Member CommuteCommando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Posts
    2,884
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad, I'll try it.
    PB2: Powdered Peanut Butter
    Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, sugar and salt.
    Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
    Servings per container: 15
    Amount per 2 Tablespoon serving (when mixed with water):
    Calories: 45
    Calories from fat: 13

    Value and % Daily Value*

    Total fat 1.5 g 3%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Trans fat < 0.01 g
    Cholesterol < 0.01 mg 0%
    Sodium 94 mg 4%
    Total carbohydrate 5 g 2%
    Dietary fiber 2 g 8%
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 5 g
    Vitamin A < 1%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium <1%
    Iron 0%

  12. #187
    Senior Member rec3036's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, Ocean County , NJ
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 Disc 21 inch frame
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    down 1.8 this week! Getting it under control... girl scout cookies are almost gone... my kids are not eating them fast enough!
    Russ


    MS = Life Changing Not Life Ending

    I ride like there is no tomorrow, since for me there could be no tomorrow on the bike.

    My MS bike page: http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=17956

  13. #188
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Mid '90's Trek 930
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I weighed in this morning and I am up .8 for the week. This is a bit frustrating to me because I was hoping to get below 260 this week, but it didn't happen. I have fallen into a habit, and probably a bad habit, of weighing myself during the week. This past week was no different. My official weigh-in is Tuesday morning. I weighed myself on Thursday morning and I was down .8 since Tuesday morning. I thought I was destined for a good week. On Saturday morning, I spent an hour and a half with a concrete scarifier in an attempt to remove a tripping hazard in a lifted section of my sidewalk. I then rode my bike for 7+ miles and I felt pretty good about it all. I also mowed my mother-in-laws lawns on Sunday afternoon. When I weighed myself on Sunday morning, I was exactly the same weight that I was on Thursday morning. There was no change in my weight, which I thought was a little odd, but oh well. I got on the scale yesterday (Monday) morning and it said I was up 2.2 lbs!!! How could this be with the exercise I did on Saturday and Sunday? Because of my schedule on Sunday, I have a difficult time getting in my minimum points for the day. And I think I came up short on my minimum points on Saturday as well. So, the only explanation I can come up with is I didn't eat enough for the amount of exercise I did on Saturday and Sunday. This weight loss thing is certainly a journey and lesson will be learned along the way...

    Until next week....

  14. #189
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Mid '90's Trek 930
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imacflyr3 View Post
    down 1.6 this evening. So, I made it under my high school weight of 250!

    Onward and downward!
    Great job on the weight loss for the week!!! Keep up the good work!!!

  15. #190
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Mid '90's Trek 930
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rec3036 View Post
    down 1.8 this week! Getting it under control... girl scout cookies are almost gone... my kids are not eating them fast enough!
    Congrats on the weight loss!!! Like you, I have girl scout cookies in the house. Thus far, I have been able to control the urge, but I may not be able to hold it off much longer!!

    Keep up the good work!!!

    As my previous WW leader used to say as a part of her closing comments each week..."Will I see less of you next week?"

  16. #191
    Senior Member RedC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    My Bikes
    Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
    Posts
    762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    End of week 5 down 13.2lbs! You guys keep talking about not eating less than the point you're allowed and I'm not sure I understand. I rarely go over the daily points and into the weekly extra. I haven't touched the activity points although I track them. Everything is going well so far but I don't want to screw up thinking I'm doing it right
    Red, like the color my hair used to be.

    Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix

  17. #192
    Captain Big Ring tractorlegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Locked by the Door
    My Bikes
    The Black Knight
    Posts
    2,022
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedC View Post
    End of week 5 down 13.2lbs! You guys keep talking about not eating less than the point you're allowed and I'm not sure I understand. I rarely go over the daily points and into the weekly extra. I haven't touched the activity points although I track them. Everything is going well so far but I don't want to screw up thinking I'm doing it right
    WW teaches (and I agree) that after the first couple of weeks we should average between .5 lbs and 2 lbs weight loss per week. Faster weight loss may be unhealthy. Also (my thoughts) a slower weight loss may indicate a change in lifestyle, rather than just a "diet", and when your goal weight is reached it will not be that difficult to maintain. I eat all my points, daily - weekly - activity, and am averaging 2 lbs per week weight loss at 6-1/2 weeks since I posted the OP.
    **************************************************
    No Excuses

  18. #193
    Captain Big Ring tractorlegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Locked by the Door
    My Bikes
    The Black Knight
    Posts
    2,022
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curtismk View Post
    Congrats on the weight loss!!! Like you, I have girl scout cookies in the house. Thus far, I have been able to control the urge, but I may not be able to hold it off much longer!!

    Keep up the good work!!!

    As my previous WW leader used to say as a part of her closing comments each week..."Will I see less of you next week?"
    My wife works for the Girl Scouts! AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!
    **************************************************
    No Excuses

  19. #194
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Mid '90's Trek 930
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 3 girls that have all been girl scouts. My youngest daughter, age 9, is the only one of the three that is still in a troop.

  20. #195
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,917
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Had my WI last night. Lost .2 pounds. Granting I am "happy" about it..... it was a loss but to be frank, I was thinking it would be more. I looked over my last week eating and see the things I could have done differnetly.

    Well, here is to another good week.

  21. #196
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,917
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    curt: are you measuring yourself? You could lose inches and not pounds.

  22. #197
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    My Bikes
    Mid '90's Trek 930
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chef: I haven't taken any measurements. I know I have lost inches since I have started because I have had to wear a belt with my pants!

  23. #198
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,917
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How is everyone doing? OK here. After lat week, I am scrutinizing my food intake like crazy.

  24. #199
    Senior Member rec3036's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, Ocean County , NJ
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 Disc 21 inch frame
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chefisaac View Post
    Had my WI last night. Lost .2 pounds. Granting I am "happy" about it..... it was a loss but to be frank, I was thinking it would be more. I looked over my last week eating and see the things I could have done differnetly.

    Well, here is to another good week.
    that was my problem for weeks till I started eating all my points and my plus points and you have to track the activity points also. my body was still storing, not burning! I have been eating more these last 2 weeks... holy cow... we almost ran out of TP!!!!
    Russ


    MS = Life Changing Not Life Ending

    I ride like there is no tomorrow, since for me there could be no tomorrow on the bike.

    My MS bike page: http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=17956

  25. #200
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,917
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    it has been funny... one week I do not eat all my points and I lose a couple pounds. Thats good. The next week, I eat all my daily points and then about 40% of my weeklies and I drop a few pounds. Then I say "wow this is working" so the next week, I eat all my points and 80% of my weeklies and drop .2

    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •