Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Watching and waiting. jethro56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mattoon,Ill
    My Bikes
    Trek 7300 Giant Sedona E-Bike Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
    Posts
    1,977
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Showing up is a success.

    For all the people out there that started a fitness program after the holidays. Now is when many start dropping out. If you're beginning to dread your workout don't skip it. Just go in and try to do that first workout. If after a couple minutes you still don't feel like it, It's OK. You showed up. You succeeded.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,917
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Same thing if you find yourself with a day or two of eating like crap. Stop, evaluate and get back on the saddle and give it another go. Dont feel ashamed of what you eat, learn from it. Why did you eat it? Were you hungry? Was it a trigger?

  3. #3
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro56 View Post
    For all the people out there that started a fitness program after the holidays. Now is when many start dropping out. If you're beginning to dread your workout don't skip it. Just go in and try to do that first workout. If after a couple minutes you still don't feel like it, It's OK. You showed up. You succeeded.
    +1.

  4. #4
    Bulky Bullet Sayre Kulp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, FL
    My Bikes
    Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition
    Posts
    1,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great advice, guys. One of the things I learned very early on was that on those days I didn't feel like exercising, if I didn't go, I wound up wishing I had gone. The days I DID go, well, I never regretted that decision.
    "Obstacles don't like me very much. I make them look bad."

  5. #5
    Starting over CraigB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Posts
    4,081
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd missed about 2 weeks of spin classes due to schedule conflicts and some, um, gastro-intestinal issues (January is bad for me in all kinds of ways), but finally got back there last night. It wasn't pleasant, but I'm glad I went and glad I stuck it out. Legs felt like lead, and had no snap in them at all, and I was getting a little winded just warming up. But it's OK - a couple of weeks and I'll be back where I was.
    Craig in Indy

  6. #6
    Carpe Velo Yo Spiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Posts
    2,499
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I don't feel like riding, I just remind myself how good it makes me feel when I'm done. Sometimes just the act of putting on my riding clothes and prepping the bike makes me eager to get out.

    Weather has been mild here, so I've actually been getting out on the bike more than I expected. Also got a 200 lumen headlight the other day, so riding after dark isn't the issue it used to be. It does worry my wife, however.
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

  7. #7
    Starting over CraigB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Posts
    4,081
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, Jethro's post and the Good Chef's response both bring to mind something I've been thinking about a lot lately. It comes (to me, anyway) from a guitar instructional program I've been following, but I know it has its roots in self-help of all sorts: don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

    While we all want to strive for excellence, we can't beat ourselves up when we inevitably fall short of that goal. It's so easy to think that since I've mis-stepped in some small way that there's no point in even trying (I only have time for 15 minutes of activity so what's the point, or I ate too much of the wrong thing this morning so my plan for sensible eating for the whole day is shot, etc.). If we can't have a picture-perfect day, we don't want to even try for a good day. And that's a huge mistake. You do what you can. Make a good-faith effort to do your best, and those little efforts will add up. And as you continue, you'll find yourself getting closer to those "ideal" goals every day.
    Craig in Indy

  8. #8
    Watching and waiting. jethro56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mattoon,Ill
    My Bikes
    Trek 7300 Giant Sedona E-Bike Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
    Posts
    1,977
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said CraigB!!!!

    I posted this because this morning it's how I felt. I can't say I dreaded the idea of going in. It's just that I wasn't particularly psyched about it. Using the showing up is a success thinking I went in and did 3/4 of my planned workout. Feeling pretty good now. Like Sayre says I don't regret going in.

  9. #9
    Senior Member goldfinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota/Arizona and between
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Posts
    3,869
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been riding some fairly long rides, for me. This morning it was really windy and I just wasn't into it. So I ran a mile instead. Not much, but something, and I feel good about it. I showed up.

  10. #10
    Carpe Velo Yo Spiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Posts
    2,499
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    This morning it was really windy and I just wasn't into it.
    For me wind is worse than hills. I can see my objective and gauge my progress hammering up a hill. Although turning around and getting a tailwind to push me home is a great reward for pushing against it.
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

  11. #11
    Senior Member rec3036's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, Ocean County , NJ
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 Disc 21 inch frame
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went out this morning with a group of friends for an 8 mile trail ride through the Pine Barrens.... Lord did it feel GOOD!!!!

  12. #12
    LET'S RIDE!! IndianaRecRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    My Bikes
    2013 Fuji Absolute 1.4
    Posts
    659
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro56 View Post
    For all the people out there that started a fitness program after the holidays. Now is when many start dropping out. If you're beginning to dread your workout don't skip it. Just go in and try to do that first workout. If after a couple minutes you still don't feel like it, It's OK. You showed up. You succeeded.
    My latest attempt at blogging...Big Guy On A Bicycle :~) (updated 5-30-14 with pics)


  13. #13
    Captain Big Ring tractorlegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Locked by the Door
    My Bikes
    The Black Knight
    Posts
    2,022
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    Actually, Jethro's post and the Good Chef's response both bring to mind something I've been thinking about a lot lately. It comes (to me, anyway) from a guitar instructional program I've been following, but I know it has its roots in self-help of all sorts: don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

    While we all want to strive for excellence, we can't beat ourselves up when we inevitably fall short of that goal. It's so easy to think that since I've mis-stepped in some small way that there's no point in even trying (I only have time for 15 minutes of activity so what's the point, or I ate too much of the wrong thing this morning so my plan for sensible eating for the whole day is shot, etc.). If we can't have a picture-perfect day, we don't want to even try for a good day. And that's a huge mistake. You do what you can. Make a good-faith effort to do your best, and those little efforts will add up. And as you continue, you'll find yourself getting closer to those "ideal" goals every day.
    Great post. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.
    **************************************************
    No Excuses

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hardest part of going to the gym is going to the gym. Right now I'm lucky to get two workouts a week. Takes that long to recover. No, I'm not overdoing anything. I'm still recovering from a crash and back surgery barely 5 months ago.

  15. #15
    Starting over CraigB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Posts
    4,081
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yo Spiff View Post
    For me wind is worse than hills. I can see my objective and gauge my progress hammering up a hill.
    Think of the wind's lack of a foreseeable end as a character-building exercise.
    Craig in Indy

  16. #16
    Senior Member rthomse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Lansdale,Pa
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R1000- IronHorse MTB
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +2
    06 Cannondale R1000. 08 Gary Fisher Marlin.2012 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •