Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 72
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NZ
    My Bikes
    More than 1, but, less than S-1
    Posts
    3,807
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    3 Strongest Clyde RR rims? 'Cause we can't have too many wheel threads.

    O.K. guys,

    My 36h Open Pros started making concerning noises the week before last. So, on went the 32h CXP's. And on this mornings ride, while descending at some considerable speed and with Mrs. Fred in the draft, two spokes let go.

    The build my own campaign has been accelerated and I'll be adding at least one new rear wheel to the garage.

    Right now the plan is:

    Rebuild the 36h Ultegra rear hub that the OP is on with a Velocity Deep V

    Rebuild the 32h Tiagra rear hub with some other rim, possibly a DT 1.2/585 or a Deep V

    Purchase a new rear. Components to be decided.

    So, the question is: With my desire and this opportunity to try a few different rims, what would be your third choice for a clyde training rim?

    (presuming deep V and 585 are already on the list)
    Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011
    Posts
    909
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DT RR2. Bombproof!

  3. #3
    Senior Member socalrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Upland, CA
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
    Posts
    5,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The quality of the Dt Swiss rim is a just a hair better than the Deep V.. This is from someone who has both wheels.. I loved the RR1.2 / now 585 that I had an another rear built up.. Never had to touch them as far as going out of true.. Great rim.. A little pricy but worth the money.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NZ
    My Bikes
    More than 1, but, less than S-1
    Posts
    3,807
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
    The quality of the Dt Swiss rim is a just a hair better than the Deep V.. This is from someone who has both wheels.. I loved the RR1.2 / now 585 that I had an another rear built up.. Never had to touch them as far as going out of true.. Great rim.. A little pricy but worth the money.
    Thanks for the endorsement. If they made them in 36h drilling, I would put the DT 585's on the Ultegra hubs. But, unfortunately they don't. So, in addition to the 585 and Deep V, do you have a third choice that you'd recommend?

    Since I'm going to be buying at least one new wheel, I'm not beyond making it 32h in order to mount the 585's to a nicer hub than the Tiagra. I'd then put the third choice on the Tiagra hubs.
    Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member socalrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Upland, CA
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
    Posts
    5,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to go lighter the velocity fusion is a nice choice - medium deep rim..good deals can be found at speedgoat

    http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.aspx/Browse?Cat=C156
    Last edited by socalrider; 02-25-12 at 04:07 AM.

  6. #6
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross
    Posts
    11,348
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
    If you want to go lighter the velocity fusion is a nice choice - medium deep rim..good deals can be found at speedgoat

    http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.aspx/Browse?Cat=C156
    The IRO Cold Fusion is (to the best that I can tell) an unbadged version of these. Weight, specs, and measurements all match up; mine even arrived in a Velocity box, although some people have reported slight weight differences (equivalent to a Kinlin XR-240) and receiving theirs in a Kinlin box. Either way, the IRO version is $15.00
    I've been riding 2 pairs of these over the last year; one on my roadie commuter and one on my monstercross/CX racer.
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    '10 Scattante CFR
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend looking at Peter White's site and seeing what he says about the different rims and especially tandem wheels.
    I have had some good luck with Mavic T217 albeit they are an older and hard to find rim.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Knoxville TN
    My Bikes
    Surley Crosscheck, 1988 Rockhopper Commuter
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not like the deep V. I dented two rims. I replaced them with Mavic a719 which have been much better and one used by peter. The eyelets are also an advantage over the Deep V.
    Eric
    2001 631 CrossCheck
    1988 Rockhopper

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NZ
    My Bikes
    More than 1, but, less than S-1
    Posts
    3,807
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
    I did not like the deep V. I dented two rims. I replaced them with Mavic a719 which have been much better and one used by peter. The eyelets are also an advantage over the Deep V.
    Eric
    Out of curiousity, when you dented the two deep v's, what did you weigh, what size tire were you running and at what pressure?
    Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member maidenfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    570
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a set of RR585's on Ultegra hubs and like them a lot. If you have to have 36h check out these H Plus Son SL42's on this track bike. Hella strong and look great.

    "Others don't understand because I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs." Alexandr Karelin - the most dominating Greco-Roman wrestler - ever

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Knoxville TN
    My Bikes
    Surley Crosscheck, 1988 Rockhopper Commuter
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfred View Post
    Out of curiousity, when you dented the two deep v's, what did you weigh, what size tire were you running and at what pressure?
    220 pounds, I am pretty sure i had 700x32 at the time but nothing under 700x28. They were a 36h rim on tiagra hub. i usually kept them inflated up around 85 psi depending on the tire. These were both rear rims. One dimpled symmetrically on the weld joint. The replacement rim failed a year later. I noted some spider cracking around the spoke holes as well on the second rim. They were built by a reputable LBS. I decided to move to an eyeleted rim and from what I read at the time the mavics were highly regarded but heavy. They are also wider. My opinion is very subjective since I could not ride them side by side but I like the ride of the mavics better and wish I had gotten them from the start. I did not because they are usually significantly more expensive. I never tried any of the other box style rims but I really do not want to replace them any time soon.
    Eric
    2001 631 CrossCheck
    1988 Rockhopper

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Knoxville TN
    My Bikes
    Surley Crosscheck, 1988 Rockhopper Commuter
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also switched to a sun-ringle cartridge bearing hub from the tiagra and think it rolls much better.
    Eric
    2001 631 CrossCheck
    1988 Rockhopper

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    North of Boston
    My Bikes
    Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,
    Posts
    2,119
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the back wheel of my commuter, I had a mavic A719 rim built around a 105 hub with dt swiss db spokes, 36 holes. I'm 235 lbs and ride lots of crappy Boston roads and carry 1 loaded bag on the back of my cross check. The mavic web site lists this touring rim as "bombproof". With 6,000 miles on it , I'm in agreement.

  14. #14
    Senior Member maidenfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    570
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leebo View Post
    For the back wheel of my commuter, I had a mavic A719 rim built around a 105 hub with dt swiss db spokes, 36 holes. I'm 235 lbs and ride lots of crappy Boston roads and carry 1 loaded bag on the back of my cross check. The mavic web site lists this touring rim as "bombproof". With 6,000 miles on it , I'm in agreement.
    I have a 340lb buddy who rides the A719 on a Karate Monkey who's having the same experience as you - pretty tough rim.
    "Others don't understand because I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs." Alexandr Karelin - the most dominating Greco-Roman wrestler - ever

  15. #15
    Senior Member phlydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Newark/Glasgow, DE
    My Bikes
    none
    Posts
    200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~Dennis
    2011 Trek Navigator 1.0
    2011 Felt Z85

  16. #16
    Senior Member gyozadude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    My Bikes
    Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder
    Posts
    1,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, having been 255 - 325 lbs for all of my adult life, I've rarely ever had rims come out of true due to riding. Instead, my rims have warped primarily because of the spokes failing, usually at the head, and 80% of those failed on the rear wheel, drive side, most of those having been stock wheels on a bike. So, I'm of the philosophy that most any rim will do. We just need enough spokes (36 holes preferred), and we need quality spokes (DT, Wheelsmith, or Sapim) and we need enough rubber around the rim to protect the wheel. Beyond that, I don't worry so much about the rim.
    Yes, I can roll my own potsticker skins!

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NZ
    My Bikes
    More than 1, but, less than S-1
    Posts
    3,807
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where I am now:

    1 pr. 36h Ultegra hubs, Front Open Pro, o.k. but worn, Rear MA3 rebuild in progress, both 14ss X3

    1 pr. 32h Tiagra hubs, Front CXP11, almost new, Rear, Questionable CXP 11, popping spoke heads, have found that last mechanic loc tited nipples, as of a couple hours ago has been down graded from "needs attention" to "needs replacing" or at the very least relacing.

    Wher I would like to be:

    1 pr. Everyday Training wheels that can be relied on for 100-200 miles/week without issue. Likely to be either 36h Velocity Deep V's or DT 585's mounted to 105 or Ultegra hubs

    1 pr. Back up wheels, some thing that's there when ever I need them. Probably my Ultegra OP/MA3 combo if they prove to work alright.

    1 pr. Rain wheels, the Tiagra's laced to whatever is cheap. Maybe the IRO Cold Fusions, or, Deep V's

    1 pr. Event Day wheels, probably Ksyrium Elites, maybe something else, time will tell, but, those are still some time away.

    Current plan on how to get from the former to the later:

    1. Purchase components for either Deep V's or 585 on Shimano hubs, 36h or 32h respectively, 13/14 drive side, 14/15 non and front, X3
    2. Assess the OP/MA3 combo for suitability after completing my first rebuild, both of which require the purchase of a tension meter and perhaps a truing stand
    3. Put a rim on the Tiagra rear.
    4. One day, some day, get some event wheels.

    Thanks for the thoughts on other possibilities. The fusions and A719 both intrigued me, but, not enough to favor them over Deep V's or 585's.

    What does the peanut gallery think?
    Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.

  18. #18
    Senior Member marcusbandito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor
    My Bikes
    Voodoo Wanga, Waterford RS, Gitane SS
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Salsa Delgado Cross has held up well through the years, so has the Alex Adventure. Both come in 36 holes but are a wider rim than what the OP has been using. These less expensive alternatives to the 719

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    My Bikes
    Felt F75
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, another thread about overbuilding wheels as a result of poor bicycle maintenance, and wheel servicing.

    When will the madness end?

  20. #20
    Senior Member theblackbullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    '87 Kestrel 200sc, '98 GT Edge Aero, '92 Cannondale R900, Snyder Cycles track bike
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maidenfan View Post
    I have a set of RR585's on Ultegra hubs and like them a lot. If you have to have 36h check out these H Plus Son SL42's on this track bike. Hella strong and look great.

    +2

    I'm rocking a set of 32h hplussons on my nishiki. I've weighed between 250-280 the entire time I've owned them and haven't had any issues whatsoever. I even bunny hop over speedbumps, speedhumps, railroad tracks, etc. on them lol


  21. #21
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,984
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfred View Post
    O.K. guys,

    My 36h Open Pros started making concerning noises the week before last. So, on went the 32h CXP's. And on this mornings ride, while descending at some considerable speed and with Mrs. Fred in the draft, two spokes let go.

    The build my own campaign has been accelerated and I'll be adding at least one new rear wheel to the garage.

    Right now the plan is:

    Rebuild the 36h Ultegra rear hub that the OP is on with a Velocity Deep V

    Rebuild the 32h Tiagra rear hub with some other rim, possibly a DT 1.2/585 or a Deep V

    Purchase a new rear. Components to be decided.

    So, the question is: With my desire and this opportunity to try a few different rims, what would be your third choice for a clyde training rim?

    (presuming deep V and 585 are already on the list)
    Unless the spokes that "let go" pulled out of the rim, the problem isn't with the rims. The problem is with the wheel build and with the spokes. The spokes were probably not tight enough nor tensioned properly.

    The other issue is that rims seldom have much to do with wheel strength. The rim only serves as a method to hold the spokes in place and as a convenient place to put the tire. The rim 'floats' on the spokes and the spokes are where nearly all the wheel strength lies. The rims and hubs that you have chosen will do a very adequate job for just about any wheel. Don't overlook the spokes...a common misconception. If you go with a DT Alpine spoke or a Wheelsmith DH13, you'll have a truly stronger wheel over what you are currently using.

    Quote Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
    I did not like the deep V. I dented two rims.
    Denting rims isn't a rim problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
    220 pounds, I am pretty sure i had 700x32 at the time but nothing under 700x28. They were a 36h rim on tiagra hub. i usually kept them inflated up around 85 psi depending on the tire. These were both rear rims.
    Bingo! Your dented rims resulted from a low tire pressure and, probably, from hitting stuff on the road without unweighting the wheels. The fact that the rear wheels were the ones that were dented suggest that you 'ride heavy' in the saddle rather than 'ride light' in the saddle.

    When you ride heavy, you sit on the saddle like it's a chair. When you hit something, the wheels take the full impact. If you ride light, you hover over the saddle most of the time. When you hit something on the road, your legs take the impact and let the bike move up and down under you. It takes most of the stress off the wheels.

    Finally, if you are riding on tires that are 35+mm wide, 85 psi is okay. But you since are riding on 28mm or narrower, that way, way too low.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    My Bikes
    Sott Scale 29er, Specialized SL3 Roubaix, Colnago C59
    Posts
    228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck_O View Post
    Wow, another thread about overbuilding wheels as a result of poor bicycle maintenance, and wheel servicing.

    When will the madness end?
    ^^^ This

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY state
    My Bikes
    See Signature...
    Posts
    1,235
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have slowly creeped up from 200 to 235 over the past 10 years, and have been riding 32h wheels the whole time, except when I had the Allez that had a 28h radial laced front wheel. Even with the radial laced wheel, once they were properly tensioned, and trued, I never had an issue with them again. Including mountain biking, hopping curbs, hitting small jumps (2' of air or so) etc. Even when I was younger (180-200lbs) and had a rigid bike with cheap wheels on it, I could hop curbs, hit jumps, beat the bike up pretty good.

    Anyone that has mechanical ability should just get a truing stand, I have a $40 stand, and a Park tensiometer and some decent nipple wrenches. Tension and true your wheels when they are new, de-stress them and re-true. I do not believe, for one second, that anyone under 300lbs needs a huge profile V rim, IF the wheel is properly built in the first place. Get a good quality rim, build it right with DB spokes, and go with 32h 3x (36h if you really want) and use bigger tires. My Allez had 23c tires at 120psi, wheels stayed true of course I was only 225 then...
    2012 Diamondback Podium 2 - Ready for spring! :D
    1995 Specialized Rockhopper Rigid - SS converted!

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NZ
    My Bikes
    More than 1, but, less than S-1
    Posts
    3,807
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck_O View Post
    Wow, another thread about overbuilding wheels as a result of poor bicycle maintenance, and wheel servicing.

    When will the madness end?
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewk459 View Post
    ^^^ This
    Quote Originally Posted by nymtber View Post
    I have slowly creeped up from 200 to 235 over the past 10 years, and have been riding 32h wheels the whole time, except when I had the Allez that had a 28h radial laced front wheel. Even with the radial laced wheel, once they were properly tensioned, and trued, I never had an issue with them again. Including mountain biking, hopping curbs, hitting small jumps (2' of air or so) etc. Even when I was younger (180-200lbs) and had a rigid bike with cheap wheels on it, I could hop curbs, hit jumps, beat the bike up pretty good.

    Anyone that has mechanical ability should just get a truing stand, I have a $40 stand, and a Park tensiometer and some decent nipple wrenches. Tension and true your wheels when they are new, de-stress them and re-true. I do not believe, for one second, that anyone under 300lbs needs a huge profile V rim, IF the wheel is properly built in the first place. Get a good quality rim, build it right with DB spokes, and go with 32h 3x (36h if you really want) and use bigger tires. My Allez had 23c tires at 120psi, wheels stayed true of course I was only 225 then...
    The only failure here with regard to wheel maintenance and servicing, is the bicycle industries inability to deliver competent mechanics at LBS's. I was very happy with my wheels for years. But, since moving to Auckland have been through half the shops in the city looking for a tech that can understand whats important to keeping a solid wheel under a clyde.

    On the overbuilding note: What's wrong with overbuidling "TRAINING WHEELS"? These are no nonesense, ride the crap out of without concern wheels, that should consider themselves lucky if they get their bearings cleaned and adjusted more than once a year.

    Fella's I'm 6'5", have lost 35 lbs to get down to 255, don't see myself getting much below 250 and ride reasonably strong. If you see 32 or 36 spoke wheels as "overkill" so be it. 14/15DB spokes are pretty standard fair for even light riders. The only thing that might be considered overkill would be the use of 13/14 SB on the drive sides. But, what the heck, I'll give 'em a go and see how they work.
    Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    My Bikes
    Felt F75
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, im 5' 10.5", and at present i weigh about 285. When i was in top form before my massive off last year, i was at about 255. My "training wheels" are off brand generic Felt OEM hubs, relaced with DT Swiss spokes, on Mavic CXP22 rims, 28H radial front, 32H 2 cross drive, radial non drive side. My "go fast" wheels are Mavic Aksium Race wheels 20H Radial front, 24H radial/cross rear. THe CXP22 has about 10,000 miles on them, the Aksium about 6,500. I also ride a hybrid material carbon/alu Felt F75 race geometry frame.

    Based on all the posts on this form i should have broken my bike in half by now, and folded all of my wheels in half like a taco, and shredded spokes just by looking at them, and clearly i cant possibly ride the miles i do because i dont have a Brooks saddle.

    I will let you take a wild guess as to how many spokes ive broken...

    ANy number over zero, would be to high.

    Infact, my last big off saw me hit another rider while i was doing over 30 on the flats. That front wheel dented slightly at the point of impact, and the energy transfer through the wheel (by way of properly tensioned spokes as cyccommute spoke to above) caused the rim join to break open, and the wheel made a teardrop/taco like shape. But even still...not a single spoke broken. Hell, even the tire was salvageable.

    And as one of the other guys here mentioned, i bunny hop curbs, and railroad tracks, and cement pathway heaves. Still havent broken a spoke.


    The name of the game is tension. You can have the most "bomb proof" wheel, and if it isnt tensioned properly, you will be blowing spokes regularly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •