Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Senior Member jeneralist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Adventure 400; 1983 Trek 620; Bilenky Ti Tourlite
    Posts
    643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Planning anything impossible for Feb 29?

    Anyone out there planning to do anything impossible -- or just highly improbable -- on this once-every-four-years opportunity?

    I'm sure some of you are having birthdays, of course, and some of you might choose to listen to the Pirates of Penzance to help celebrate the day.

    Once upon a time, I ran my first under-10-minute-mile on Leap Day. I had hoped to repeat that feat this time around, but it doesn't look like I'll make it. And it's a work day, so skydiving is out.

    Hmm...

    And coming up soon, of course, is Imperative Activity Day: March Fo(u)rth!
    - Jeneralist

  2. #2
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jeneralist View Post
    I'm sure some of you are having birthdays, of course, and some of you might choose to listen to the Pirates of Penzance to help celebrate the day.
    You just made my day. I thought I was the only one on Bike Forums who made G and S references. Oh rapture!

  3. #3
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Merlin Road, Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    6,973
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do we need to get you two your own forum? Hm?

    never heard of imperative action day, that's amusing. Personally, I'll stand by for international talk like a pirate day.

    The only impossible activities I'll likely do on Feb 29 are all the things I have that are due March 1. It's been a busy February for me.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ken_onabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Meadowbrook QLD Australia
    My Bikes
    Trek FX7.1
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely ! I'm planning on making my normal, quite short commute to and from work WITHOUT getting a puncture. Now given the last week and the number of punctures, I consider this to be highly improbable. I swear I no longer need Mr Beanz video on how to remove the rear wheel as I have it down to a fine art. And as for tyre levers, forget 'em. What a week

  5. #5
    Senior Member The_DK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sacramento
    My Bikes
    2003 Trek 7300, 2012 CAAD 10 5
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - I'm going to ride my cannondale for more than 5 miles without breaking something.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    IF SCJ SE, Surly LHT, BikeFriday NWT, Cannondale M300, Raleigh 700
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My GF is a leap baby. She turns 13 tomorrow. A guy we ride with was born on the same day in the same year. A group of at least 10 cyclist friends are having dinner at a restaurant that's owned by one of the group. What will make this difficult is that one of the group just started dating an ex of mine. She's a whack job and as phony as the Loch Ness Monster. Hope we don't ened up sitting near her. I am pondering whether I have an ethical obligation to warn him what he's getting himself into.

  7. #7
    Senior Member The_DK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sacramento
    My Bikes
    2003 Trek 7300, 2012 CAAD 10 5
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
    I am pondering whether I have an ethical obligation to warn him what he's getting himself into.
    Stay out of it or you'll find yourself in another impossible situation

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    IF SCJ SE, Surly LHT, BikeFriday NWT, Cannondale M300, Raleigh 700
    Posts
    3,428
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_DK View Post
    Stay out of it or you'll find yourself in another impossible situation
    But I like being able to say "I told you so." As for her, I can handle anything she throws at me with my eyes closed and both hands tied behind my back, and she knows it.

  9. #9
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
    I am pondering whether I have an ethical obligation to warn him what he's getting himself into.
    I would do it as tactfully as possible.

  10. #10
    Senior Member tergal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Logan, QLD ,Australia
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300
    Posts
    788
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
    My GF is a leap baby. She turns 13 tomorrow. A guy we ride with was born on the same day in the same year. A group of at least 10 cyclist friends are having dinner at a restaurant that's owned by one of the group. What will make this difficult is that one of the group just started dating an ex of mine. She's a whack job and as phony as the Loch Ness Monster. Hope we don't ened up sitting near her. I am pondering whether I have an ethical obligation to warn him what he's getting himself into.
    I pity you and will ask now , can i have your stereo when you are murdered ?
    Tact is for people who arenít witty enough to use sarcasm.

    Early helplessness is the price we pay for later brilliance. Or, at least our later capacity for non-idiocy

  11. #11
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Called out of work because of knee pain.... I guess that counts as celebrating.... :-(

  12. #12
    Senior Member Ken_onabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Meadowbrook QLD Australia
    My Bikes
    Trek FX7.1
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_DK View Post
    Yes - I'm going to ride my cannondale for more than 5 miles without breaking something.
    Well Did your Cannondale survive ? My tyres actually did which was pretty surprising given the amount of rubbish on the roads around here.

  13. #13
    Senior Member jeneralist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Adventure 400; 1983 Trek 620; Bilenky Ti Tourlite
    Posts
    643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, no 10-minute mile for me. Instead, I

    • climbed the stairs to the 23rd (top) floor of the building where I work -- a feat made more improbable by the fact that the elevators only go up to 21, and I thought that was where the building ended;
    • ran a mile at a 5 mph pace;
    • then ran for a minute at a 7 mph pace, to show that I could.
    - Jeneralist

  14. #14
    Senior Member tergal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Logan, QLD ,Australia
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300
    Posts
    788
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeneralist View Post

    • climbed the stairs to the 23rd (top) floor of the building where I work -- a feat made more improbable by the fact that the elevators only go up to 21, and I thought that was where the building ended;

    err what ? construction workers got the the last two and just figured, screw it we are going home ?
    Tact is for people who arenít witty enough to use sarcasm.

    Early helplessness is the price we pay for later brilliance. Or, at least our later capacity for non-idiocy

  15. #15
    Senior Member jeneralist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Adventure 400; 1983 Trek 620; Bilenky Ti Tourlite
    Posts
    643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tergal View Post
    err what ? construction workers got the the last two and just figured, screw it we are going home ?
    More likely the top floors are janitorial/support systems. The main elevators stop at 21, but maybe the service elevators go up to 23?
    - Jeneralist

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    268
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I signed up for a 5k yesterday. We shall see how this goes come July

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeneralist View Post
    More likely the top floors are janitorial/support systems. The main elevators stop at 21, but maybe the service elevators go up to 23?
    In high rise buildings the staircases go at least one floor above the elevator because the machine rooms for the elevators are located above the shaft. Depending on the height of the building and type of equipment there may be two machine rooms stacked on top of the elevator shaft. The top one would have the controller and actual machine, the lower one (known as the secondary) would house the sheaves(think BIG pulley).

    Yes, I am in the elevator trade.

  18. #18
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paisan View Post
    In high rise buildings the staircases go at least one floor above the elevator because the machine rooms for the elevators are located above the shaft. Depending on the height of the building and type of equipment there may be two machine rooms stacked on top of the elevator shaft. The top one would have the controller and actual machine, the lower one (known as the secondary) would house the sheaves(think BIG pulley).

    Yes, I am in the elevator trade.
    You are rising to the heights in your profession.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a good trade to be in but it has it's ups and downs.

  20. #20
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paisan View Post
    It's a good trade to be in but it has it's ups and downs.
    You're good to the last drop?

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not the drop you should be concerned with. It's the sudden stop at the end.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •