Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52
  1. #1
    Senior Member WonderMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vandalia OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,300
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    March - 12 Outings / Month Club

    Let's try something a bit different. For some people the main goal may to be to gain consistency in getting out on the bike. From there the miles start to show up. Get the habit, get the miles. That's the way it is for me anyways.

    So.... my goal is to get on my bike three times a week. We have just over 4 weeks in March so let's ignore the extra days and go for three times a week, shall we?

    Who is in?
    WonderMonkey
    DEK
    theone2496
    vestroid
    lenny866
    youcoming
    rec3036
    TrojanHorse
    Last edited by WonderMonkey; 03-05-12 at 11:19 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member goldfinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota/Arizona and between
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Posts
    3,909
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good idea but I can't play. The second half of the month will be very little riding for me.

  3. #3
    DEK
    DEK is offline
    Senior Member DEK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa, FL.
    My Bikes
    '11 Felt Z85, '72 Motobecane Grand Record
    Posts
    1,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, the idea is a minimum of 3 rides a week?

    Heck, I'll give it a go. With the time change in a week, I should be able to get in more after work rides.

  4. #4
    Senior Member WonderMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vandalia OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,300
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to look at it that way. I was more saying 12 a month with 4 weeks (pretend) in that month that is 3 on average.

    I'm trying to get consistent getting on the bike. When that happens everything else falls into place.

  5. #5
    Senior Member WonderMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vandalia OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,300
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    Very good idea but I can't play. The second half of the month will be very little riding for me.
    We will do it again next month and you can play then.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Lincoln NE
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Pilot 2.1
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count me in! Weather is turning nice here in NE and I've been itching to get out this spring.

  7. #7
    Senior Member WonderMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vandalia OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,300
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theone2496 View Post
    Count me in! Weather is turning nice here in NE and I've been itching to get out this spring.
    Done.

  8. #8
    Climbers Apprentice vesteroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,473
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll take a stab at this, for march. I live in the mountains and we just had 3 days of snow this week, so weather dependant I am in.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    452
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill go for 12. Daylight savings time starts this month so I can get in extra rides.
    I was riding on weekends and running/lifting during the week. Now I'll add in mid week rides.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    Opus Andante/Parleez5i/Burley Tosa Tandem
    Posts
    2,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twelve will be awful hard for me too get in but will give it a go, now if the weather would play nice....
    Best thing about cycling is when I'm at work I'm thinking of cycling, when I'm cycling I'm thinking about cycling.

  11. #11
    Senior Member rec3036's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, Ocean County , NJ
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 Disc 21 inch frame
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I will jump in on this too... will help me reach my mileage goal too!
    Russ


    MS = Life Changing Not Life Ending

    I ride like there is no tomorrow, since for me there could be no tomorrow on the bike.

    My MS bike page: http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=17956

  12. #12
    Senior Member WonderMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vandalia OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,300
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lenny866 View Post
    Ill go for 12. Daylight savings time starts this month so I can get in extra rides.
    I was riding on weekends and running/lifting during the week. Now I'll add in mid week rides.
    Done.

  13. #13
    Senior Member WonderMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vandalia OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,300
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vesteroid View Post
    I'll take a stab at this, for march. I live in the mountains and we just had 3 days of snow this week, so weather dependant I am in.
    Done.

  14. #14
    Senior Member WonderMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vandalia OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,300
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by youcoming View Post
    Twelve will be awful hard for me too get in but will give it a go, now if the weather would play nice....
    Done.

    Same here. Might not make it this month but it will force me to try.

  15. #15
    Senior Member WonderMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vandalia OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,300
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rec3036 View Post
    I think I will jump in on this too... will help me reach my mileage goal too!
    Done.

  16. #16
    Climbers Apprentice vesteroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,473
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got one ride in, going for a longer ride today. Going to try for a two hour ride.

    Since I have never tried that before, I don't really know what to expect, but there is only one way to find out.

    Spoked to be low 60s here, so great opportunity

  17. #17
    Senior Member rec3036's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, Ocean County , NJ
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 Disc 21 inch frame
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 rides in so far trying for my 3rd this afternoon before getting the kids from school...41 and sunny right now, hopefully it warms up a little more by 3!!!

    I feel GREAT when I ride... I am wondering why I don't do it more...
    Russ


    MS = Life Changing Not Life Ending

    I ride like there is no tomorrow, since for me there could be no tomorrow on the bike.

    My MS bike page: http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=17956

  18. #18
    Senior Member WonderMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vandalia OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,300
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rec3036 View Post
    I feel GREAT when I ride... I am wondering why I don't do it more...
    Isn't that a mystery? I tell my wife things like that all the time. And then I let life jump up and give me plenty of excuses.

  19. #19
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Merlin Road, Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    7,885
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count me in for March... I'm at 3 so far. I was going to go again today but my knee hurts, I think I'll rest today (had an active weekend).

    If I ride > 15 miles at a good clip, I feel FANTASTIC when I'm done. If I ride less than that, the euphoria isn't there. Go figure.

  20. #20
    Senior Member rec3036's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, Ocean County , NJ
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 Disc 21 inch frame
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
    Isn't that a mystery? I tell my wife things like that all the time. And then I let life jump up and give me plenty of excuses.
    I keep saying i am going to start riding my bike to work... but I am too much of a wimp to do it...
    Russ


    MS = Life Changing Not Life Ending

    I ride like there is no tomorrow, since for me there could be no tomorrow on the bike.

    My MS bike page: http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=17956

  21. #21
    Senior Member WonderMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vandalia OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,300
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
    Count me in for March... I'm at 3 so far. I was going to go again today but my knee hurts, I think I'll rest today (had an active weekend).

    If I ride > 15 miles at a good clip, I feel FANTASTIC when I'm done. If I ride less than that, the euphoria isn't there. Go figure.
    Added.

    Agreed. However being consistent is such a challenge for me that if I get out a few times a week I feel pretty good about it.

  22. #22
    Senior Member WonderMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vandalia OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,300
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rec3036 View Post
    I keep saying i am going to start riding my bike to work... but I am too much of a wimp to do it...
    What is really stopping you from riding in, the full distance? Here is how I did it at my last job and will do again at this job.

    First I map it all out and get what I think is a fair route, trying to use as much bike trail as is reasonable. For me it is 20.3 miles one way.

    Second I find some incremental places I can park and ride in. For instance there is a good place 10 miles away that I can park in the morning and ride into work. Then after work I ride back. If that kills me I will find a place closer. If that distance works will I'd do it a few more times to make sure I'm not overdoing it then I'd find a place a bit further away to start out.

    It's possible you never go all the way back and forth to work. You may stay at the abbreviated distance. What I am doing is preparing for a full one way commute. Once I do that I'll either ride into work or from work to home, not both, due to time schedules. However once I am doing a full commute I'll be in shape enough that if I have a free evening (rare) I can do a two way commute just to push myself.

    So.... if the full distance is a hindrance look for a place to park and do a partial.

  23. #23
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Merlin Road, Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    7,885
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean I feel good about getting rides in, don't get me wrong, but I'm positively high after a good ride, especially if the alternative was wimping out.

    My latest trick to getting rides in - my 9 yr old son is a diver and has practice 4x a week. 5:30-7 on Mondays and Wednesdays and 4:15 to 6:15 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I've been throwing the bike in the back of the truck and riding while he's at practice. I'd go at lunch but my day always gets really busy, and later in the afternoon gets rough with impending kid pick-ups and soccer, diving, basketball etc. I'm just not a morning person (so I'm not getting up at 6 to go for a ride by myself, but I'll do it to get to a group ride by 8, go figure). So, if I'm good, I'll get at least 2 15 mile rides in while he's diving and nobody misses me while I'm gone. I work from home so I can't commute to work.

    You just have to find the time I guess.

  24. #24
    Senior Member rec3036's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, Ocean County , NJ
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 Disc 21 inch frame
    Posts
    175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
    What is really stopping you from riding in, the full distance? Here is how I did it at my last job and will do again at this job.

    No not the distance, 3.76 miles... I am a procrastinator, wait to the last possible second.

    First I map it all out and get what I think is a fair route, trying to use as much bike trail as is reasonable. For me it is 20.3 miles one way.

    Second I find some incremental places I can park and ride in. For instance there is a good place 10 miles away that I can park in the morning and ride into work. Then after work I ride back. If that kills me I will find a place closer. If that distance works will I'd do it a few more times to make sure I'm not overdoing it then I'd find a place a bit further away to start out.

    It's possible you never go all the way back and forth to work. You may stay at the abbreviated distance. What I am doing is preparing for a full one way commute. Once I do that I'll either ride into work or from work to home, not both, due to time schedules. However once I am doing a full commute I'll be in shape enough that if I have a free evening (rare) I can do a two way commute just to push myself.

    So.... if the full distance is a hindrance look for a place to park and do a partial.

    I think I need to go to bed earlier, getting up an extra 25 minutes early just is not really what I am looking forward to... I have to be to work by 20 minutes to 7, Sunday through Thursday.
    It takes me less than 10 minutes to drive it but probably triple that to ride. I am just making excuses for being a wimp, I rode 18 miles on Friday...

    But I did manage to get 4.8 miles in after work before getting the kids from school... so that makes 3 for the month so far... looking to do the same thing tomorrow!
    Last edited by rec3036; 03-05-12 at 07:44 PM. Reason: added a thought
    Russ


    MS = Life Changing Not Life Ending

    I ride like there is no tomorrow, since for me there could be no tomorrow on the bike.

    My MS bike page: http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=17956

  25. #25
    Senior Member WonderMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vandalia OH
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,300
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
    I mean I feel good about getting rides in, don't get me wrong, but I'm positively high after a good ride, especially if the alternative was wimping out.

    My latest trick to getting rides in - my 9 yr old son is a diver and has practice 4x a week. 5:30-7 on Mondays and Wednesdays and 4:15 to 6:15 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I've been throwing the bike in the back of the truck and riding while he's at practice. I'd go at lunch but my day always gets really busy, and later in the afternoon gets rough with impending kid pick-ups and soccer, diving, basketball etc. I'm just not a morning person (so I'm not getting up at 6 to go for a ride by myself, but I'll do it to get to a group ride by 8, go figure). So, if I'm good, I'll get at least 2 15 mile rides in while he's diving and nobody misses me while I'm gone. I work from home so I can't commute to work.

    You just have to find the time I guess.
    I'm not a morning person either, I have to force it.

    As far as your schedule I am similar. Travel basketball just got over and we had already started the fastpitch, etc. Rarely time for any "me time". However the trade is worth it as long as I don't drop over dead.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •