Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 91

Thread: Saddle Woes

  1. #26
    Senior Member RedC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    My Bikes
    Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
    Posts
    762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ C View Post
    any ideas on what to do before the $$$ comes in?
    yes even coughing up $25+chicago taxes is rough for a week or two.
    Use Udderly Smooth cream for chamois cream. Sold in pharmacies around here for a couple of bucks it's marketed for cow udders but if works great to prevent chafing
    Red, like the color my hair used to be.

    Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix

  2. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    My Bikes
    Felt F75
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggaD View Post
    Someone told me there is a weight limit on the Romin of like 240 lbs. True, not true?
    On the lower end Romin with the plastic seat base and steel rails, possibly. I have the Romin Expert with the CF base, and Ti rails, and i have not seen or heard anything about weight limit. Im at about 275-280 right now (out of shape, need to shave 25lbs off quick like, but the weather hasnt been cooperative), and i have no issues with the saddle in terms of durability or strength.

  3. #28
    Senior Member CJ C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    Wally World Huffy Cranbrook Cruiser (with siily wicker front basket)
    Posts
    930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    quick update,

    So i have tried many different saddles so far and still not happy. Here is the order i have tried them.

    1.) San Marco Pozna- came with the bike its good until about 30 minutes in then its like all my ex-girlfriends banded together to create a device to cause damage and severe pain to my nether region and for good measure created way for it to not go numb so the pain is constant.

    2.) Old Specialized BG- this is on my 80's road bike and works perfectly cause i sit way more upright on it. but on my new bike the extra padding on the nose is a ball crusher.

    3.) Nashbar GR2- its bliss in the sit bone area but no matter what angle or position my junk goes numb in 10 minutes. the only angle that saves the numbness and leg pain is tilted so far down that i have to hold on for dear life not to slide forward.

    4.) Specialized Toupe - totally saved the taint pain and numbness, but dear gosh was horribly painful every where else. It was so bad i almost called the wife to pick me up as the test ride home from the shop was blindingly painful. (plus it was into a 15mph headwind)

    5.) Fizik Aliante Versus- Not bad but not great for $164. the versus helped the taint/junk numbness and pain but didnt completely alleviate it. Also didnt test it longer than 25 miles on two rides. if it was a $50 saddle i would buy it as it seems to be the best so far, but to me its too expensive for "close enough"

    6.) Selle Italia X1- got it for $20 out of the parts bin, its what i am using now. I have to get out of the saddle a lot to keep from going numb. and after rides longer than 20 miles the rest of the day it feels like somebody was punching me in my taint for the whole ride. (wonder about the long term effects) did 40 miler with it tilted down and killed my wrists just to keep from falling forward.

    I would like to test out a Selle SMP but cant find demo a program. I will try the Romin Evo next as i have come to the conclusion i really need a good sized cut out.


    I bought some new shorts and DZnuts. Shorts made no difference but the DZnuts is the greatest thing ever thanks to RedC and other for directing me to chamois cream

  4. #29
    Starting over CraigB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Posts
    4,081
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try one of the saddles with a comfort guarantee, like Cobb. Or, if you think you might like a Brooks, order one from Wall Bike - I believe they have a liberal trial-period guarantee, like 6 months unconditional.
    Craig in Indy

  5. #30
    Senior Member CJ C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    Wally World Huffy Cranbrook Cruiser (with siily wicker front basket)
    Posts
    930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    Try one of the saddles with a comfort guarantee, like Cobb. Or, if you think you might like a Brooks, order one from Wall Bike - I believe they have a liberal trial-period guarantee, like 6 months unconditional.

    i would like to try a brook, but as i am losing weight and becoming more flexible i have been lowering my bar height. I heard brooks is not good when the bars are not close to saddle height. Also dont know of anybody with a brooks demo program. Will look into Wall Bike thank you for that tip.

  6. #31
    Senior Member Seattle Forrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    9,866
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ C View Post
    now on my 80's steel i have a specialized BG fit saddle that i could ride 20 miles WITHOUT bike shorts. i cant switch it over as i need it to ride to work in dress clothes. though after today i think i will be swapping seats back and forth.
    I did 50 miles on Sunday in hiking pants. But it was on a carbon frame. Anyway, I believe you on that point.

    Saddles are personal enough that the one that agreed with my butt may or may not agree with yours. A better approach is to find a place that does a demo saddle program, and try a whole bunch out. That's how I got mine. If you don't have an LBS that does this in your area, Williams Cycling has a demo saddle by mail program. (They also have good prices and low weights, but I can't comment yet on how they feel.)
    Don't believe everything you think.

  7. #32
    Senior Member socalrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Upland, CA
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Surly Crosscheck Cyclocross bike, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike
    Posts
    5,002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ C View Post
    i would like to try a brook, but as i am losing weight and becoming more flexible i have been lowering my bar height. I heard brooks is not good when the bars are not close to saddle height. Also dont know of anybody with a brooks demo program. Will look into Wall Bike thank you for that tip.
    The defacto brook saddle for most is the b17 but if you are lowering your bar height it is better you look at the Brook Professional.. It allows a more aggressive position.. I have the Professional on most of my road bikes and at 160mm - still a little wider than the norm but not so wide as to affect you driving your legs through the pedal stroke.. You can also look at the swift model if you want something more aggressive.

  8. #33
    Senior Member CJ C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    Wally World Huffy Cranbrook Cruiser (with siily wicker front basket)
    Posts
    930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Seattle,

    I did do the Fizik demo program with the aliante and the specialized with the toupe. Oddly only one bike store in the chicago area does the demo thing. They dont have the romin for a demo and only the fizik versus line to demo.

  9. #34
    Watching and waiting. jethro56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mattoon,Ill
    My Bikes
    Trek 7300 Giant Sedona E-Bike Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
    Posts
    1,977
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    Try one of the saddles with a comfort guarantee, like Cobb. Or, if you think you might like a Brooks, order one from Wall Bike - I believe they have a liberal trial-period guarantee, like 6 months unconditional.
    What? You actually suggested a Brooks? There must be a parallel universe.

  10. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
    Posts
    4,999
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ C View Post
    I did do the Fizik demo program with the aliante and the specialized with the toupe. Oddly only one bike store in the chicago area does the demo thing. They dont have the romin for a demo and only the fizik versus line to demo.
    Most places near me don't have demos either. What they do have is a fairly liberal return policy: buy the saddle, then return it within 30-60 days in "like new" condition and you'll get 100% of your money back. I can usually tell within a ride or two whether a saddle is going to work for me.

    Sounds like all of the saddles you're trying are fairly similar in size and shape. You might need to try something different in order to find a saddle that works: ISM Adamo, Selle SMP, ISM Adamo, WTB, ISM Adamo, etc. Having a cut-out doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference for me. Length and the curve of the saddle are what counts most. Long, flat saddles like the ones you've been trying just don't work well for me. Like the curved saddles from WTB and Selle SMP and the ISM Adamo works surprisingly well, though it does put a ton of pressure on your sit bones.

  11. #36
    Starting over CraigB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Posts
    4,081
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro56 View Post
    What? You actually suggested a Brooks? There must be a parallel universe.
    Read it more carefully, Jethro...I said IF he was interested in a Brooks, he should get it from Wall Bike. I didn't suggest he get one.
    Craig in Indy

  12. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    My Bikes
    Felt F75
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ C View Post
    quick update,

    So i have tried many different saddles so far and still not happy. Here is the order i have tried them.

    1.) San Marco Pozna- came with the bike its good until about 30 minutes in then its like all my ex-girlfriends banded together to create a device to cause damage and severe pain to my nether region and for good measure created way for it to not go numb so the pain is constant.

    2.) Old Specialized BG- this is on my 80's road bike and works perfectly cause i sit way more upright on it. but on my new bike the extra padding on the nose is a ball crusher.

    3.) Nashbar GR2- its bliss in the sit bone area but no matter what angle or position my junk goes numb in 10 minutes. the only angle that saves the numbness and leg pain is tilted so far down that i have to hold on for dear life not to slide forward.

    4.) Specialized Toupe - totally saved the taint pain and numbness, but dear gosh was horribly painful every where else. It was so bad i almost called the wife to pick me up as the test ride home from the shop was blindingly painful. (plus it was into a 15mph headwind)

    5.) Fizik Aliante Versus- Not bad but not great for $164. the versus helped the taint/junk numbness and pain but didnt completely alleviate it. Also didnt test it longer than 25 miles on two rides. if it was a $50 saddle i would buy it as it seems to be the best so far, but to me its too expensive for "close enough"

    6.) Selle Italia X1- got it for $20 out of the parts bin, its what i am using now. I have to get out of the saddle a lot to keep from going numb. and after rides longer than 20 miles the rest of the day it feels like somebody was punching me in my taint for the whole ride. (wonder about the long term effects) did 40 miler with it tilted down and killed my wrists just to keep from falling forward.

    I would like to test out a Selle SMP but cant find demo a program. I will try the Romin Evo next as i have come to the conclusion i really need a good sized cut out.


    I bought some new shorts and DZnuts. Shorts made no difference but the DZnuts is the greatest thing ever thanks to RedC and other for directing me to chamois cream
    Given that you like the Nashbar GR2, you should try one of the lower end Specialized Romins. They arent too expensive, around $50 or so. See if a store has a good return policy, or will let you bring your bike in and put it on their trainer to test the saddle there.

    The Romin has a similar rear flar for the sit bones like the Fizik Aliante Versus does, with the tail bone relief area as well. However, it comes down to a flatter point like the GR2 at the tip. And like Specialized Toupe, has the center relief cut out for the soft tissue area.

    It seems to me like you are pretty much in the same saddle region i was. The Romin was was the final saddle i tried, and its still on my bike today.

    Keep in mind though, that any saddle, even if it fits you like you think it should, will still take a couple of weeks to get your butt used to the new pressures in new places effect.

    Also, another DZNuts user here. Love that stuff. I admit that sometimes i use it when im not even cycling.

  13. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Potashville
    My Bikes
    Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566
    Posts
    1,080
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by socalrider View Post
    best bang for the buck clyde saddle is the Bontrager SSR - http://bontrager.com/model/08381

    nice and firm and 155mm wide - perfect for most clydes.. just remember when you hear soft or comfort saddle - run away as fast as you can, those will be *ss hatchets.
    +1 on the Bontrager. I got an Affinity R WSD this spring and love it.
    e.t.a.: Specialized now has a demo program available. One of our local shops has the whole display of red and white demo saddles set up on a wall. If I hadn't already found the Bontrager, I'd be trying some of them.

  14. #39
    Senior Member CJ C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    Wally World Huffy Cranbrook Cruiser (with siily wicker front basket)
    Posts
    930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck_O View Post
    you should try one of the lower end Specialized Romins.
    ordered the Romin Evo gel last night. thought is even if i dont like it, it is popular enough that i could resell it at a $10 loss.


    Quote Originally Posted by Buck_O View Post
    Also, another DZNuts user here. Love that stuff. I admit that sometimes i use it when im not even cycling.
    I know the first two times i applied it, i couldnt even leave the house to go ride just kidding

  15. #40
    Senior Member CJ C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    Wally World Huffy Cranbrook Cruiser (with siily wicker front basket)
    Posts
    930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodabike View Post
    +1 on the Bontrager. I got an Affinity R WSD this spring and love it.

    thank you, that will be the next one i try.

  16. #41
    TortoiseNotHare BridgeNotTunnel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Giant Escape 2 Hybrid
    Posts
    484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Serfas RX saddle

    you're welcome

  17. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    My Bikes
    Felt F75
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ C View Post
    ordered the Romin Evo gel last night. thought is even if i dont like it, it is popular enough that i could resell it at a $10 loss.




    I know the first two times i applied it, i couldnt even leave the house to go ride just kidding
    It is worth pointing out that the Romin, and the Romin Evo are two totally different saddles.

    The EVO has a narrower nose, with more front droop, and as the saddle comes back to the seat area, the side of the saddle flanges are angled more downward, and protrude out more. Where as the Romin (standard) is virtually flat at the nose, and the side flanges dip down only slightly. For me, i have a very muscular upper leg, and my rearward inner thigh muscle becomes a hard unforgiving part of my body when its under stress (which is to say 90% of the pedal stroke) so the angular flanges cause alot of discomfort and chafing in that area with my muscle structure. YMMV obviously, but i found the EVO to be very uncomfortable. I also thought that the droop nose would be more accommodating of my larger then average testicular girth (trust me, no bragging here, the damn things are a curse and are always in the damn way, and make something as simple as underwear shopping a pain...literally), but what i discovered is that it wound gave me less movement room on the saddle, and made tucking into the drops more problematic then anything. As if the added room was giving them more opportunity to get in the way.

    After trying the evo, i went back to the Romin standard, and felt much better.

    Also i find that gel anything (with the exception of bar tapes), its gimicky, and usually adds more contact movement, which = friction, which = chaffing, which = pain. Again, YMMV, and if its only for short trips, it might not be so bad. But for me, gel is out. The harder, and the less padding, the better.

    Ironically, the same LBS i bought the Romin from was the same store i bought my first tube of DZNuts.

  18. #43
    Senior Member CJ C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    Wally World Huffy Cranbrook Cruiser (with siily wicker front basket)
    Posts
    930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bucko, I went for the evo for two reasons;

    1. its more padded, i have a freakishly flat arse (even freaky flat for a anorexic person) so i dont have natural padding/cushion. I know odd for clyde. the toupe i tested had no padding at all and killed me from the first mile to the last.

    2. the dip in the nose for the same reason as you. even with bike shorts and a good hearty lift they are still in the way at times.

    If this saddle doesnt work out, i will just do 1hr all out rides and forget about doing higher mileage rides. sucks as i was going to try my first metric this week.

  19. #44
    etw
    etw is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard some good things about the ARS saddle

    http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Bike-50.../dp/B0015RA1TW

    for the price it may be worth a shot. Not a big investment.

  20. #45
    Senior Member ChargerDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Oceanside CA
    My Bikes
    Madone 5.9, Sequoia, World Sport
    Posts
    216
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a terry liberator gel, an ARS, and velo (from amazon) saddle and like them both, they are very similar, although the liberator is constructed with better materials.

    They are nearly identical in size and shape, and fit me best. I tried the stock Bontrager Affinity 2 saddle for the Madone, and it sits off to the side.
    Last edited by ChargerDawg; 06-22-12 at 06:55 PM. Reason: type
    and these two wheels will take us anywhere.

  21. #46
    Senior Member gforeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc
    Posts
    686
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still swear by my ISM Typhoon. I put 530 miles on the bike last month. Could not have done it without this saddle.

    http://www.ismseat.com/saddle/adamo-typhoon
    Gary F.


    2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert (on the way)
    2012 Specialized Crux Disc
    My bike page: http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
    Build a bike stand! http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html

  22. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
    Posts
    4,999
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ C View Post
    If this saddle doesnt work out, i will just do 1hr all out rides and forget about doing higher mileage rides. sucks as i was going to try my first metric this week.
    Seems a bit silly! You've tried a bunch of racing-oriented saddles that are all basically the same shape and now you're planning to give up long rides? I've got news for you: the Romin is just like every other saddle you've been trying; I'd be surprised if you found it substantially different that the saddles you've already tested.

    Again: you may need to try something different than the extremely flat, minimally-padded racing saddles you've been riding. Since you seem to hate all of the same saddles that I hate, I'll make the same suggestion I made before: try a saddle that has a bit of a curve from front to back. You may also want to try saddles with short (or non-existent) noses. I find that long racing saddles usually lead to more soft-tissue pain. I like saddles from WTB, ISM, and Selle SMP. Can't guarantee that any of these brands will work for you, but their shapes are decidedly different from the saddles that have been giving you problems.

    Also, if you haven't had a bike fitting by a professional fitter you might want to give it a try. Saddle position can impact how much weight is resting on the seat (versus the bars or pedals) and where that weight is carried (soft tissue vs sit bones). Again, I can't guarantee that a fitting will make a dramatic difference, but I know that a poor fit can exacerbate saddle problems.

  23. #48
    Senior Member CJ C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    Wally World Huffy Cranbrook Cruiser (with siily wicker front basket)
    Posts
    930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sstorkel,

    i did try a curved saddle Fizik aliante versus (ok not that much curved), and the original one that came on my bike the san marco is curved.

    you are probably 100% correct on the fit issue, i have been thinking about getting a fit as i never had one. Hard to justify the $200-275 cost. well it would be justified if i couldnt resell the saddles.

    I am finding that as i experiment more with lowering my bars that i get less saddle discomfort the lower they go.

  24. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB
    Posts
    4,999
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ C View Post
    i did try a curved saddle Fizik aliante versus (ok not that much curved), and the original one that came on my bike the san marco is curved.
    Did you measure the curve on those saddles with a micrometer? They both look flat as a board to me...

    you are probably 100% correct on the fit issue, i have been thinking about getting a fit as i never had one. Hard to justify the $200-275 cost. well it would be justified if i couldnt resell the saddles.
    A professional fit shouldn't have to cost $200-275. I think the last one I did was around $150. It took somewhere between 1 and 2 hours. Even though I'd gotten the fit pretty close on my own and the fitter only made minor adjustments, it make a huge difference in comfort.

    I am finding that as i experiment more with lowering my bars that i get less saddle discomfort the lower they go.

    Makes sense: the more weight that's on your hands, the less weight that's on the saddle. Usually, this isn't a long-term cure for saddle/fit problems.

  25. #50
    Senior Member late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    8,248
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •