Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member tergal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Logan, QLD ,Australia
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300
    Posts
    788
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Buying clothes is interesting

    Just thought i would throw up a experince i just had buying clothes.

    I have a funeral coming up to go to , and i needed a new black shirt. So i head in to a local store that i know has a "large " section of items.

    Anyway i am going though all the big men's stuff and this sales bloke walks up to me and goes
    "excuse me but the clothes for your size are over there " Now my first though was dam they moved the items around i hate when they do that, but he was actually pointing me to the standard section .


    I just laughed till he pulled out a measuring tape and quickly measured me .

    Turns out i am down from something like a 5Xl (120cm) or 6XL (126cm) to 112cm waist in pants and a shirt which had a weird sizing on it but does not feel like a tent like my old one.

    Just goes to show there is success and it shows up when you don't expect it . I use to hate shoping because it was embarassing just going straight to the "huge section" now i am some where in between Huge and Large

    Anyway ramble ramble have fun i am going to eat my sushi

    Oh and sizing is based of this brand, Each brand is different and has it own system so YMMV
    Tact is for people who arenít witty enough to use sarcasm.

    Early helplessness is the price we pay for later brilliance. Or, at least our later capacity for non-idiocy

  2. #2
    Senior Member IBOHUNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Western Maryland - Appalachian Mountains
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
    Posts
    2,014
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got to love that.

    I'll start the redneck portion of this thread:

    You know you lost weight when...

    You have to buy under britches that are 2 sizes smaller than you used to.

  3. #3
    Climbers Apprentice vesteroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think red necks wore those?

  4. #4
    Senior Member ponzini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buying clothes is expensive too. My wife and I are both losing weight. It's two new wardrobes. But I loved her smile when she sent me to get a smaller size to try on!!

  5. #5
    Senior Member jeneralist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Adventure 400; 1983 Trek 620; Bilenky Ti Tourlite
    Posts
    656
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know you've lost weight when...

    You can sit on an airplane without having the armrests touch your thighs.
    - Jeneralist

  6. #6
    Senior Member SuncoastChad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Fred-mobile
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thrift shops and consignment stores are your friends when losing weight.
    Before hitting "Enter" or "Send" ask yourself: Is this true? Is this kind? Is this NECESSARY?
    I once had a Colnago/Campy bike built in Italy...then life caught up with me!
    Now I ride a Schwinn Beach cruiser to work!
    RIP: My friend Charles V. Beasley. We laughed until we cried over Opus and "Bloom County" in the '80s. Always remember "Pear pimples for hairy fishnuts?"

  7. #7
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Merlin Road, Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    7,332
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about the peace of just grabbing pants out of the closet when you go on a business trip, instead of trying them on to make sure they're one of your fat sizes (I have a selection of dress pants all the same size and brand, but they fit differently, go figure)

  8. #8
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SuncoastChad View Post
    Thrift shops and consignment stores are your friends when losing weight.
    +1. Especially for casual clothes. Then again, I interviewed for my current job wearing a thrift store jacket after 80 pounds of weight loss made my suits unwearable.

  9. #9
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tergal View Post
    Just thought i would throw up a experince i just had buying clothes.

    I have a funeral coming up to go to , and i needed a new black shirt. So i head in to a local store that i know has a "large " section of items.

    Anyway i am going though all the big men's stuff and this sales bloke walks up to me and goes
    "excuse me but the clothes for your size are over there " Now my first though was dam they moved the items around i hate when they do that, but he was actually pointing me to the standard section .


    I just laughed till he pulled out a measuring tape and quickly measured me .

    Turns out i am down from something like a 5Xl (120cm) or 6XL (126cm) to 112cm waist in pants and a shirt which had a weird sizing on it but does not feel like a tent like my old one.

    Just goes to show there is success and it shows up when you don't expect it . I use to hate shoping because it was embarassing just going straight to the "huge section" now i am some where in between Huge and Large

    Anyway ramble ramble have fun i am going to eat my sushi

    Oh and sizing is based of this brand, Each brand is different and has it own system so YMMV
    Some of it might have been that you are finally wearing the 'right' size regardless of whatever weight you've lost. Guys often wear oversized clothing thinking it hides the belly.

  10. #10
    Member ccrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Stillwater, OK
    My Bikes
    05' Gary Fisher Nirvana
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeneralist View Post
    You know you've lost weight when...

    You can sit on an airplane without having the armrests touch your thighs.
    Someday!! I can only hope!
    05' Gary Fisher Nirvana

  11. #11
    Carpe Velo Yo Spiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Posts
    2,499
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much truth in the previous posts. I've dropped 60+ in the last year, going from 286 to 221, Aiming for about 165 or so. I also found on a trip in January, that the airline seats had gotten far more comfortable.

    Also bought a stack of shirts at a thrift store and replaced all my boxers recently. Replaced my belt twice in the last year.

    Now I'm just disappointed, but not disgusted with myself when I look in the mirror.

    Getting rid of some 3x Woot t-shirts soon if anyone wants them.
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

  12. #12
    Senior Member CJ C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    Wally World Huffy Cranbrook Cruiser (with siily wicker front basket)
    Posts
    930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yo Spiff View Post
    Now I'm just disappointed, but not disgusted with myself when I look in the mirror.

    LOL, that quote just made my day. thank you

  13. #13
    Gears? CliftonGK1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2009 Spesh Singlecross, 2011 RM Flow1
    Posts
    11,314
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've rarely been happier than when I realized that I finally fit into a brand of jeans that I can't afford to buy.
    "I feel like my world was classier before I found cyclocross."
    - Mandi M.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm down 80 lbs, from 315 to 235 - and still dropping, albeit a lot slower than I was earlier. I went from 4X shirts to XL and 3X shorts to LARGE. Gotta love how cheap it is to chop for clothes when you don't HAVE to go to the big and tall stores! Congrats to everybody on their weight loss -- you should be proud of what you've done for yourself and TO yourself - that takes a lot of discipline and self control.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Incheon, South Korea
    My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Posts
    2,461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I might actually be able to to fit into the Korean 2xl shirts and "36" size pants now. I don't know how they size clothes here, but if you are 188cm tall and over 95kg... forget finding anything that fits. Since I finally managed to get into the 93.7-94.4kg range depending on the time of day I actually fit into mall clothes. Now getting shoes, thats a different story. Not one store in this whole neighbourhood stocks 290mm in any kind of shoe I actually want.

    There is of course a downside... my pants are all so big they look silly and my shirts resemble tents. Looks like I have some clothes shopping to do. I also think my current belt is getting a tad long again.

    edit... 35 inch waist with a bit of room to spare. All the other Jeans in my closet just look so overly huge that they are unwearable. More cycling! I like the slim(er) me...
    Last edited by krobinson103; 04-20-12 at 02:19 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •