Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,917
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Surgery #2 Done.... one more to go!

    Lets get one thing straight, I hate kidney stones and they hate me.

    Today was the second surgery. The first was in Long Island when they put the stent in. This morning was the Ureteroscopic Stone Removal where the took the big stones out and crushed the rest. Everything went ok. Pissing a lot of blood clots which I guess is normal but painful. Stent is still in there which is annoying as heck as it always has been for the past month. Throat killing me because of the breathing tube, mouth dry which sucks but livable. Kidneys still hurt and it REALLY hurts to pee.

    But this is one step closer. The last surgery...I hope.... will be on Monday morning to remove the stent.

    The stent is annoying. You feel it a lot. Cant do much physically without it rubbing the kidneys and bladder making you need to go to the bathroom every two miles. I commuted to work on Monday and my commute is 11 miles one way. That morning I had to stop and pee on the side of the road twice. I can go 50 plus miles without the need to pee. The stent..... grrrrr.... Cant wait until it is gone.

    To recap: I hate kidney stones. Dont ever get them!

    I miss my bike and riding. I know it will be all good soon but I really do miss riding. I have been trying to get out a few times a week if I can stomach it because it really does clear my mind. Like yesterdays commute, it felt great (well except the pain from the stent and stones).

  2. #2
    Senior Member goldfinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota/Arizona and between
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Posts
    3,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting there! The toughest part is over. How is the weight loss coming with the reduced exercise?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,917
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    gold: I am up around 7 pounds. I am ok with this really. I know it will change once the stent is out. I have not been tracking what I eat that well lately either to be frank. I will be glad when this is all over.

  4. #4
    Senior Member goldfinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota/Arizona and between
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Posts
    3,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, this is a test. There will be other times in your life that you cannot get the exercise you want. TRACK WHAT YOU EAT. Even if you are overeating, still track it.

  5. #5
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chefisaac View Post
    I can go 50 plus miles without the need to pee. .
    I wouldn't brag about dehydration, especially if you are prone to develop kidney stones.

    Sorry to read you are in the hospital. I hope you are better soon.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,917
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_B View Post
    I wouldn't brag about dehydration, especially if you are prone to develop kidney stones.

    Sorry to read you are in the hospital. I hope you are better soon.
    Its not dehydration at all. I still drink plenty of water but do not need to pee.... at least not NEED to pee. I probably could pee but the urge is not there like it is with kidney stones and this ordeal.

    Thank you by the way. I am out now and home. Same day surgery but not liking the aftermath. I hope it gets better. How you doing?

  7. #7
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chefisaac View Post
    How you doing?
    I stopped posting on Bikeforums because of crowdsourcing of my recovery - thank you Peter C! - and I won't go down that road again. If you want to follow along, click on the link in my signature and read my recovery diary at Bonesmart.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,917
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thank you sir! I hope you are well.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    573
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, bud, I'm glad you're closer to recovery from all of this. I hate that you have to go through it at all, but you seem to be keeping your wits about you and keeping your chin up!

    Just bide your time and don't let the loss of riding time bother you. You'll be reeling off the numbers again in no time at all.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Central PA
    My Bikes
    Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport
    Posts
    291
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chief I hope you are feeling better. My younger brother has had of and on bouts with stones. It is rough. With what you described you have serious problems. I hope they analyzed the stones to determine what caused them. If they do you can change you're diet to avoid them in the future.

    I work with a hell of a nice guy who lost 1 kidney to stones. They damaged the kidney so much they had to remove it. I implore you to find out what caused them and avoid that in the future. I would hate to see you loose a kidney over this. I will hope all will work out for you.

    Mark Shuman

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,917
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phread59 View Post
    Chief I hope you are feeling better. My younger brother has had of and on bouts with stones. It is rough. With what you described you have serious problems. I hope they analyzed the stones to determine what caused them. If they do you can change you're diet to avoid them in the future.

    I work with a hell of a nice guy who lost 1 kidney to stones. They damaged the kidney so much they had to remove it. I implore you to find out what caused them and avoid that in the future. I would hate to see you loose a kidney over this. I will hope all will work out for you.

    Mark Shuman
    Maybe if I lose a kidney, I can ride faster?!?

    I do hope not to get them anymore. He did take one out and get them tested and will make the changes for sure. I think they are tea related but I am not 100% sure. I drink a lot of tea so....we will see.

    I cannot wait to get back on the bike. I truly miss it. I miss how it makes me feel, I miss the sweat and the miles.

  12. #12
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chefisaac View Post
    Maybe if I lose a kidney, I can ride faster?!?

    I do hope not to get them anymore. He did take one out and get them tested and will make the changes for sure. I think they are tea related but I am not 100% sure. I drink a lot of tea so....we will see.

    I cannot wait to get back on the bike. I truly miss it. I miss how it makes me feel, I miss the sweat and the miles.
    The only person I've known, aside from you, who had kidney stones was advised to give up "dark liquids" - soda, tea, coffee, etc.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get well soon.
    2009 Orbea Orca - full Ultegra
    2009 Specialized Hard Rock

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,917
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Neil: Guess tea would be it for me. I do drink a lot of tea, especially in the winter time. Five cups a day usually. Might have to change that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •