Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   I found a comfortable saddle for 300+lbs with a picky behind (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/830816-i-found-comfortable-saddle-300-lbs-picky-behind.html)

jasonmg1981 07-08-12 10:01 PM

I found a comfortable saddle for 300+lbs with a picky behind
 
I recently purchased a cloud 9 saddle on amazon.com and I love it. I agree it is huge and probably will be frowned upon by hardcore riders. But, if you are a large man and have trouble choosing a saddle because your behind feels like Tyson used it as a punching bag, then I would give this a try. Plus, its not going to break the bank at $25 bucks. I have tried many conventional saddles, only to wish I had something more comfortable. This is the answer, at least for now.

Peter_C 07-09-12 09:41 AM

To be honest, this is the one I used on my Giant Suede DX until I switched to a recumbent Trike. My problem was that it was comfortable for the first 20-30 miles only, and then after nothing but pain. But, I never did find any other saddle that I could stand even the first five miles, much less any longer besides the Cloud Nine.

Yes, it is large, and yes, it is both padded and sprung - but it was heaven until it wasn't...

jasonmg1981 07-09-12 09:46 AM

20-30 miles of comfort sounds fantastic to me, however my goals are different than most....Thanks for sharing!

Peter_C 07-09-12 11:44 AM

I agree. I just want to be able to rider further, and still be comfortable. Now I have my trike and it provides all day comfort for me. But I do miss 2-wheeled riding from time to time. Enjoy the summer!

jasonmg1981 07-10-12 08:53 AM

How fast do you go on a trike? I have seen a couple in my area, but I dont know anyone personally who rides one.

miles.lowry 07-10-12 09:28 AM

That is similar to the one I have on my cruiser.

Peter_C 07-10-12 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonmg1981 (Post 14461602)
How fast do you go on a trike? I have seen a couple in my area, but I dont know anyone personally who rides one.

Most people are 2-4mph slower on a trike then on a bike, but then, you can go up hills as slow as you want too :) Stop when you want, always have a chair with you, etc.. Most people on trikes are willing to trade a bit of speed for all day comfort. I did the 'GAP' tour, nine days, 200+ miles on my Rover. Pulled my trailer with roughly 100lbs of crap too.

I tend to ride around 5-8mph rolling average on dirt and limestone MUPs. I usually am out for 4 to 11hrs, and make stops whenever I like, doing 20-40 odd miles during the ride. I often pull my little dog 'Rusty' in his trailer (35lbs total), no muss, no fuss.

This with a 13 month old hip, and three year old knee, and many health issues.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...2-06-02005.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...2-06-03009.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...s/28ea5ea8.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...s/cd2b17d3.jpg

WonderMonkey 07-10-12 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a seat you can get: http://sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=260822

chaapa 07-12-12 06:59 PM

Peter, thanks for sharing pictures of your rig. I love it! I'll bet Rusty loves riding along!

Jason, sounds like your seat is just right for you at your present weight and your current goals. I have occasionally been tempted to take the big padded, springy seat off my comfort/hybrid and put it on my road bike. Comfort can never be over-rated.

jasonmg1981 07-15-12 09:27 PM

Peter, Thats awesome. It looks like the trike is a very versatile machine. Sounds like alot of fun to tour around all day with all your gear. Its great you have found something you can do with your health issues. As much as I like speed, I also like to slow down and enjoy the ride. I may get one of these someday. Thank your for sharing and the pictures.

Peter_C 07-15-12 10:39 PM

Very welcome - did not mean to take us off-topic either! The link in my signature will take you to hundreds of photos about my trike, rides, mods, etc - I just did a 40 mile nine hour ride and completely enjoyed myself~

magohn 07-15-12 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_C (Post 14485932)
Very welcome - did not mean to take us off-topic either! The link in my signature will take you to hundreds of photos about my trike, rides, mods, etc - I just did a 40 mile nine hour ride and completely enjoyed myself~

Awesome to see your're still around the bikes Peter. When I became a reborn cyclist in early 2010 I remember your HUGE threads - great reading. Love the trike and the pup :)

Peter_C 07-15-12 11:55 PM

Oh, I am still around, I am just over at BROL most of the time now since I am on a Trike.

slowride454 07-17-12 10:39 PM

my buddy who is well over 300# has a hobson easy seat on his diamonback hybrid commuter. He loves it. Thousands of pain-free miles.

http://hobsonseats.com/new/

otis66 07-17-12 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_C (Post 14462751)
Most people are 2-4mph slower on a trike then on a bike, but then, you can go up hills as slow as you want too :) Stop when you want, always have a chair with you, etc.. Most people on trikes are willing to trade a bit of speed for all day comfort. I did the 'GAP' tour, nine days, 200+ miles on my Rover. Pulled my trailer with roughly 100lbs of crap too.

I tend to ride around 5-8mph rolling average on dirt and limestone MUPs. I usually am out for 4 to 11hrs, and make stops whenever I like, doing 20-40 odd miles during the ride. I often pull my little dog 'Rusty' in his trailer (35lbs total), no muss, no fuss.

This with a 13 month old hip, and three year old knee, and many health issues.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...2-06-02005.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...2-06-03009.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...s/28ea5ea8.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...s/cd2b17d3.jpg

I need to get one of these Rovers. How is it riding in traffic? How is it climbing hills. I have a lot of steep hills were I ride.

Peter_C 07-18-12 12:08 PM

Well, I don't ride in traffic, but I've read that people tend to give you more room - they think you're handicapped I guess? As for hills - slower for sure, but, you can go up many hills that have bike riders walking. Plus to rest you simply stop, then start pedaling again when you are ready :)

Peter_C 07-18-12 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowride454 (Post 14495658)
my buddy who is well over 300# has a hobson easy seat on his diamonback hybrid commuter. He loves it. Thousands of pain-free miles.

http://hobsonseats.com/new/

HEY! If I were atill riding an upright, I'd be all over one of these seats! Great idea there:)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:52 AM.