Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Bikes
    1996 Trek 750 Multitrack
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Help with LBS...

    So, a while ago I posted a thread asking for help about finding a used bike (yeah, I know there are thousands of those on here). Anyway, it ended up with me finding a great used bike that had been traded in at my LBS. I put a down payment on it a week ago and they told me it would be built up in 3-4 days... Should I go check on them or wait? Maybe I'm just too excited to get exactly the bike I've been looking for. Any help would be great, thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Shellyrides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Redding CA
    My Bikes
    C1970 to 74 Peugeot, 80's Lotus 3000 m mountain bike
    Posts
    330
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go take a look. It never hurts.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Bikes
    1996 Trek 750 Multitrack
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'll go in. I already went in on Sat 9/15 and I didn't know if it would be rude to go in again.

  4. #4
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Go in! I've had wheel parts at an LBS waiting to be built for a week. "Pick it up on Fri nite after 5 pm it will be ready, they said. I went in and the dope hadn't even started.....after a week!...and they close at 6!

    3 days means 3 days in my world, if not, I'll spend my cash elsewhere!

  5. #5
    Senior Member clarkbre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Everett, WA
    My Bikes
    1995 Giant Innova, 2012 Surly Pacer
    Posts
    286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a used bike at a LBS...

    What more needs to be "built-up" on it?

    I would go in and ask them to give it the once over and a tune up so you could ride it home.
    1995 Giant Innova
    2012 Surly Pacer

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Bikes
    1996 Trek 750 Multitrack
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the handle bars had no tape and there were no cables on it at all. They wanted to install a new stem, handlebars and pedals in addition to the cables. On saturday when I went in I learned that the bike had sti shifters meant for an 8 speed cassette when it was traded in but the bike only had a 7 speed so they were trying to get that sorted out as well. Good thing we agreed on a price beforehand!

  7. #7
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Merlin Road, Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    7,665
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, no harm in schmoozing with the mechanic doing your work. Between now and some time in the future, you should learn to do all those things anyway. It's not hard and it makes your life easier when things aren't working "just" so later on.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Bikes
    1996 Trek 750 Multitrack
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point!

  9. #9
    Captain Big Ring tractorlegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Locked by the Door
    My Bikes
    The Black Knight
    Posts
    2,027
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcorn427 View Post
    So, a while ago I posted a thread asking for help about finding a used bike (yeah, I know there are thousands of those on here). Anyway, it ended up with me finding a great used bike that had been traded in at my LBS. I put a down payment on it a week ago and they told me it would be built up in 3-4 days... Should I go check on them or wait? Maybe I'm just too excited to get exactly the bike I've been looking for. Any help would be great, thanks!
    Yes, definitely go in. Check daily if you want, it's your "new" bike and you're the customer. But be friendly . . . just be there. Also, it's a good idea to build a good relationship with an lbs - get to know the people, the owner/manager, etc. because if it ends up being a great shop you'll end up being there a lot and buying stuff there regularly! If it's good people it's good to have them in your corner
    **************************************************
    The El Paso Bicyclist/

  10. #10
    2nd Amendment Cyclist RichardGlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cary, NC
    My Bikes
    Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex
    Posts
    1,037
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
    Well, no harm in schmoozing with the mechanic doing your work. Between now and some time in the future, you should learn to do all those things anyway. It's not hard and it makes your life easier when things aren't working "just" so later on.
    Go by Friday (today) after work, and bring a six-pack of beer. Good beer, preferably from a local microbrewery. Give it to the mechanic and thank him for his hard work on building up your bike, and for putting up with you pestering him with questions. Doesn't matter if you pestered him much at all - it's just a good way to start building up a rapport with your LBS.
    DFL > DNF > DNS
    Clydesdales: Bringing the Horse Power
    Cycling Blog

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    IF SCJ SE, Surly LHT, BikeFriday NWT, Cannondale M300, Raleigh 700
    Posts
    3,913
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously?

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcorn427 View Post
    Well, the handle bars had no tape and there were no cables on it at all. They wanted to install a new stem, handlebars and pedals in addition to the cables. On saturday when I went in I learned that the bike had sti shifters meant for an 8 speed cassette when it was traded in but the bike only had a 7 speed so they were trying to get that sorted out as well. Good thing we agreed on a price beforehand!
    Handle bar tape, new cables, pedals, bars and stem would take a whooping 1 hour with a 15 min beer break included. Sorting out the 8 speed shifters/7 speed cassette issue?. Hard to understand the issue: if keeping the 8 speed shifters then swap cassette to a 8 speed, if keeping the 7 speed cassette then swap shifters to 7 speed (not sure why would anyone consider that except for rebuilding a classic/vintage collection piece to original form). Total time would be less than two hours (being generous), am i missing something??

    Unless they are sourcing parts directly from china and need two weeks for delivery not sure what's holding your bike.

    If it was middle of the winter I'd be a bit more patient but Falls are shorter every year and fall is the prettiest time of the year to ride.

    Good luck

  13. #13
    Senior Member kc0yef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Olympia WA
    My Bikes
    Bill Stevenson Kawai, 1973 Paramount, Voyageur SP, Nishiki; KOKUSAI & Competition, Bridgestone; RBT RB-T & Kabuki Submariner, Mercian; Campionissimo, TriA, Superlight, , Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Gitane TDF
    Posts
    1,100
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if they didnt call you take a 6 pack with you so you can appreciate the mechanics
    riding

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,388
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never gone in with a 6 pack, but I think it never hurts to get to know the bike shop guys better.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Seattle Forrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    9,869
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was going to suggest the 6 pack, but kc0yef beat me to it.
    Don't believe everything you think.

  16. #16
    Senior Member squirtdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
    My Bikes
    '89 Miyata 1400, '82 nishiski (current utilty/commuter project)
    Posts
    3,238
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My LBS gets Fat Tire every Christmas.....
    '82 Nishiski commuter/utility
    '83 Torpado Super Strada ... cafe commuter
    '89 Miyata 1400
    Soma rush Fixie
    '78 Univega gran turismo (son's Fixie/SS)
    06 Haro x3 (son's bmx)
    Electra cruiser (wife's bike)

    looking for: De Rosa 58cm ELOS frame and fork internal cable routing

  17. #17
    Senior Member The_DK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sacramento
    My Bikes
    2003 Trek 7300, 2012 CAAD 10 5
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgive me for saying this, but I don't understand why he should bribe someone that missed a deadline?
    I like my road bike, but I love my hybrid.

  18. #18
    That guy from the Chi Chitown_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc
    Posts
    939
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an automotive mechanic, small gifts of food or drink were greatly appreciated. And when I saw you, your car, or someone that mentioned they know you in, I went to great lengths to make sure your stuff was handled first, fastest, and a possibly discount.

    I second beer (or a pizza!) as a gift. And don't make it like, "Hey, this is for you, when is my stuff going to be done?" Because no one, well almost no one, likes to be schmoozed for selfish purposes. If you were to walk in, with something hidden in a bag, small talk and see how things are going, and then on the way out say something along the lines of, "Hey, I appreciate the time, I am sure you are busy but also wanted to drop this off for you guys. Call me as soon as it is ready because I am excited to ride!" And then leave the bag, don't open it, shake hands and leave.

    They will be like playdough in your hands......

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all about recognizing and rewarding good effort. But i want to first see the effort before it is rewarded. If i get a phone call for the bike being ready to pick up, in the time it was expected to be ready, i'd make sure i put a six pack in the car and after taking delivery of the bike being happy about the work done i'd thank the people for their effort and give them the six pack (it does work and helps building the relationship forward).

    In the case of the OP, the bike was supposed to be ready in 3-4 days. A week later not even a call to explain why is the bike delayed. I wouldn't walk in with a six pack, basically bribing/begging them to do their job as they said they would in the time frame they said they would. Reinforcing/rewarding bad behavior isn't conducive to long term benefits even though it may yield the short term goal. Sure you may get them to work on the bike right away and probably have the bike ready after a little wait. But then they'd do the same thing next time you bring your bike. At the very least I'd just get my bike out of there and start looking for another LBS.

    How is the relationship going to work moving forward? how often should i bring a six pack to expect them to do their job? Would now beer/pizza become an intangible but expected component of my pricing?

    Slippery slope, not worth the hassle IMO but to each their own.

    Good luck

  20. #20
    Climbers Apprentice vesteroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,472
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found more than one mechanic that didnt drink, and I have found more than one shop owner that didnt want alcohol brought into their shop.

    YMMV

  21. #21
    Senior Member Seattle Forrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    9,869
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squirtdad View Post
    My LBS gets Fat Tire every Christmas.....
    I brought mine a six pack of Fat Tire, but they only sell skinny tire road bikes, and I felt ironic. I bring them a six pack or two the day before they close for Christmas. This year I bought a handlebar from them for a used bike I got, and it turns out I needed a new stem; a nice one came free with the bars. I think these facts are somewhat related.

    If there are customers around, I walk in and set it down on the desk area behind the counter. I'd bring pizza, but there isn't any nearby, and there's a shop that sells what I assume is good beer right across the street. (I don't drink alcohol.)
    Don't believe everything you think.

  22. #22
    Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Btw the Mohave desert and AREA 51
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Posts
    5,182
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 pm the 6 pack. Whatever is popular in your community. Everyone seems to like Fat Tire.

    I have also taken in bagels and cream cheese in the morning. Mechanics don't make that much and like feeling appreciated.

    After all this you need to post pictures of the bike when you bring it home. Action shots are best.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

    I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

  23. #23
    Senior Member clarkbre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Everett, WA
    My Bikes
    1995 Giant Innova, 2012 Surly Pacer
    Posts
    286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acquaspin View Post
    I'm all about recognizing and rewarding good effort. But i want to first see the effort before it is rewarded. If i get a phone call for the bike being ready to pick up, in the time it was expected to be ready, i'd make sure i put a six pack in the car and after taking delivery of the bike being happy about the work done i'd thank the people for their effort and give them the six pack (it does work and helps building the relationship forward).

    In the case of the OP, the bike was supposed to be ready in 3-4 days. A week later not even a call to explain why is the bike delayed. I wouldn't walk in with a six pack, basically bribing/begging them to do their job as they said they would in the time frame they said they would. Reinforcing/rewarding bad behavior isn't conducive to long term benefits even though it may yield the short term goal. Sure you may get them to work on the bike right away and probably have the bike ready after a little wait. But then they'd do the same thing next time you bring your bike. At the very least I'd just get my bike out of there and start looking for another LBS.

    How is the relationship going to work moving forward? how often should i bring a six pack to expect them to do their job? Would now beer/pizza become an intangible but expected component of my pricing?

    Slippery slope, not worth the hassle IMO but to each their own.

    Good luck
    Absolutely, 100% agree with this.

    It's just like parenting...

    "Johnny, you brought home a report card with all F's. Let me buy you (fill in the blank) and next quarter while you're out screwing around with (fill in the blank) I will expect you to produce good grades."

    When in reality, Johnny should be grounded and restricted until his grades come up.

    Rewarding/bribing for poor production/service/puncuality?

    This LBS/customer scenario should be heading in the other direction. The OP should be discussing with the manager/owner of the LBS about delivering on time. They are selling bikes and taking downpayments on something they are not delivering. I don't think the customer is always right; however, the business should be held to some standards like quality and production in a timely manner.

    I'm sure since the LBS is taking their sweet time (and OP's downpayment (they have him on the hook)), the OP should be able to take the bike for the first few days without paying for it...
    Last edited by clarkbre; 09-21-12 at 12:24 PM. Reason: adding material
    1995 Giant Innova
    2012 Surly Pacer

  24. #24
    That guy from the Chi Chitown_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc
    Posts
    939
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
    Absolutely, 100% agree with this.

    It's just like parenting...

    "Johnny, you brought home a report card with all F's. Let me buy you (fill in the blank) and next quarter while you're out screwing around with (fill in the blank) I will expect you to produce good grades."

    When in reality, Johnny should be grounded and restricted until his grades come up.

    Rewarding/bribing for poor production/service/puncuality?

    This LBS/customer scenario should be heading in the other direction. The OP should be discussing with the manager/owner of the LBS about delivering on time. They are selling bikes and taking downpayments on something they are not delivering. I don't think the customer is always right; however, the business should be held to some standards like quality and production in a timely manner.

    I'm sure since the LBS is taking their sweet time (and OP's downpayment (they have him on the hook)), the OP should be able to take the bike for the first few days without paying for it...

    I thought it was just the 3 day mark and they told him 3-4.....miss that it has been a week. Hmmm...need to read closer.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NZ
    My Bikes
    More than 1, but, less than S-1
    Posts
    3,372
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would definately stop by and see how things have progressed. We have one local shop that plain and simply doesn't call. If they say it'll be ready Friday, it'll be ready friday. A bit like dropping off you're dry cleaning. If they (the dry cleaners) say you can collect Friday after 3, do you expect a phone call at 3:15 telling you your dry cleaning is ready for collection?

    I have at times participated in the dropping off of gifts (not bribes). I do it when I appreciate the service that has been rendered. Or, when I'm asking for something that is a larger pain in the ass than can be charged for. Or, in the case of one local shop, when I was going in to use "their truing stand" I would take a bottle or two of wine with for the owner.

    Anyhow. Go see if your bike is ready. And if not, express how much you're looking forward to getting it.
    Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •