Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Over doing it?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Over doing it?

    SO this morning i took my bike out went to the track walk around 10 times. After hop back on the bike rode for another 7 mile back home is that to much? felt the burn but felt good after the ride just started biking 3x times a week. Just need some feed back please

  2. #2
    Starting over CraigB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Posts
    4,081
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say as long as you don't hurt yourself there's little chance of overdoing it.
    Craig in Indy

  3. #3
    Captain Big Ring tractorlegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Locked by the Door
    My Bikes
    The Black Knight
    Posts
    2,022
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be, and it might not be. For lots of people that would be too much, for others it would barely make them breathe hard

    If the ten laps walking followed by the 7 miles bicycling was a one time thing, it's probably not an issue. If you're doing it every day, then there's several ways to tell if it's too much. The easiest is by tracking heart rate and using that figure to determine if your body is recovering from the effort quickly. Know what your resting heart rate is, then monitor it to see if there's sufficient recovery.
    **************************************************
    Tractorlegs no longer participates in Facebook, the Acoustic Guitar Forum, or bikeforums dot net. He can be reached at email mark@markstone.org, or at his website http://markstone.org. There's just too many miles to ride to be sitting at a computer . . .

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tractorlegs View Post
    It might be, and it might not be. For lots of people that would be too much, for others it would barely make them breathe hard

    If the ten laps walking followed by the 7 miles bicycling was a one time thing, it's probably not an issue. If you're doing it every day, then there's several ways to tell if it's too much. The easiest is by tracking heart rate and using that figure to determine if your body is recovering from the effort quickly. Know what your resting heart rate is, then monitor it to see if there's sufficient recovery.
    Yes i use a heart rate monitor with the chest strap was in the zone the whole time. i do three times a week the others day i just walk around the track 10 lap.monitor said 1400 at resting heart rate iam sure i burn more or maybe less not sure how accurate these thing are.in the zone was 151 for me

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    Opus Andante/Parleez5i/Burley Tosa Tandem
    Posts
    2,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just ride?
    Best thing about cycling is when I'm at work I'm thinking of cycling, when I'm cycling I'm thinking about cycling.

  6. #6
    Senior Member mprelaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,782
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming that it's a 400 meter track, you walked 2-1/2 miles and rode 7. That's not overdoing it IMO.

  7. #7
    Just Keep Pedaling Beachgrad05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    My Bikes
    99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, 12 Trek 4.5 Madone, 14 Bianchi Vigarelli
    Posts
    2,018
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Complicated question to answer with little to go on as to your current level of fitness.

    Did you feel wiped out afterward? If yes, than you might have overdone it. If you felt fine...than probably not.
    Move along....nothing to see here....anymore.

  8. #8
    Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,252
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    I'd say as long as you don't hurt yourself there's little chance of overdoing it.
    Yep, pretty much says it all. I if the body says stop with real pain then you stop and rest.

    If you want to add more to your goal then add it a little at a time to let your body catch up or tell you it won't go there.

    For most people that old saying of "No pain no gain" is just dangerously stupid.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

    Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

  9. #9
    Senior Member Black wallnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ellensburg,WA
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux
    Posts
    1,423
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are able to do it three times a week then it is not too much. What are you doing on the days off? If you are dead tired after then it might either be too much effort or a good hard workout. The only two valid definitions of "too much" that I can think of are an over use injury or heart attack. Chronic fatigue is not caused by doing too much once but too many hard workouts without sufficient rest between them. As you should be able to see from the answers we'll have a hard time telling you if you did too much from here without a bunch more info. Listen to your body and it will tell you how much is too much or not enough. IMHO most folks stay to the not enough side, very few reach "enough" and even fewer overdo it.


    Mark

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black wallnut View Post
    If you are able to do it three times a week then it is not too much. What are you doing on the days off? If you are dead tired after then it might either be too much effort or a good hard workout. The only two valid definitions of "too much" that I can think of are an over use injury or heart attack. Chronic fatigue is not caused by doing too much once but too many hard workouts without sufficient rest between them. As you should be able to see from the answers we'll have a hard time telling you if you did too much from here without a bunch more info. Listen to your body and it will tell you how much is too much or not enough. IMHO most folks stay to the not enough side, very few reach "enough" and even fewer overdo it.
    nope dont feel tired after feel great just dont wanan over do it

  11. #11
    Wookie Fred chewybrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    East Florida
    My Bikes
    '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT
    Posts
    1,380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are comfortable after your workout, and you give your body a few days off every week, then you should be fine. What you describe does not sound extreme, assuming you built up to it. If you show symptoms of overtraining, like soreness, fatigue, freqent sickness, elevated heartrate, etc., then you should back off and examine your routine more carefully.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtraining
    Campione Del Mondo Immaginario

  12. #12
    Senior Member rumrunn6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    25 miles northwest of Boston
    My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Posts
    11,962
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you can still sit up and type, you're not overdoing it!
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •