Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-12, 07:10 AM   #1
Mark Stone
Littledog
Thread Starter
 
Mark Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southwest Desert
Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape 2
Posts: 2,893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
B17 On the Bike!

I received and installed my new Brooks B17 and spun around a bit - It is as hard as a rock, but already more comfortable than any other saddle I've tried. I'm looking forward to when it breaks in. I already have the materials/plan to break it in, but I'm not going to post it because discussions about breaking in leather saddles always turn into flame wars . . . heeheeheehee
Mark Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 07:30 AM   #2
NCbiker
Senior Member
 
NCbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I stick to Brook's recommendations of an application of proofhide and ride.
NCbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 07:56 AM   #3
Rowan
Has opinion, will express
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh go on, Brooks saddles also come with flame suits now. Didn't you get yours?
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 08:09 AM   #4
Mithrandir
Senior Member
 
Mithrandir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail
Posts: 2,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a theory. Many clydes seem to report that they didn't need to break their saddles in at all, so I think perhaps our weight tends to stretch the saddle more than otherwise and either instantly "break it in" or vastly accelerate the process.

Anyway; neither of my two Brooks' needed to be broken in. They were comfortable right from the outset.
Mithrandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 09:30 AM   #5
jolly_ross
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I broke mine in with chain lube. What sort of chain lube do others use for this? ; )
jolly_ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 11:04 AM   #6
Mark Stone
Littledog
Thread Starter
 
Mark Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southwest Desert
Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape 2
Posts: 2,893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly_ross View Post
I broke mine in with chain lube. What sort of chain lube do others use for this? ; )
Interestingly, I use Saddle Soap and Proofide to lube my chain
Mark Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 11:40 AM   #7
chefisaac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
I have a theory. Many clydes seem to report that they didn't need to break their saddles in at all, so I think perhaps our weight tends to stretch the saddle more than otherwise and either instantly "break it in" or vastly accelerate the process.

Anyway; neither of my two Brooks' needed to be broken in. They were comfortable right from the outset.

Though I didnt think about this theory, it makes since to me. Same with you... two brooks saddles and no brake in time.
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 11:48 AM   #8
Mark Stone
Littledog
Thread Starter
 
Mark Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southwest Desert
Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape 2
Posts: 2,893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefisaac View Post
Though I didnt think about this theory, it makes since to me. Same with you... two brooks saddles and no brake in time.
This is probably right - our weight would break these saddles in faster. But like I said, mine is already the most comfy saddle I remember having.
Mark Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 02:34 PM   #9
chefisaac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I should get into the business of breaking peoples saddles in for them. he he he
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 02:52 PM   #10
Mark Stone
Littledog
Thread Starter
 
Mark Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southwest Desert
Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape 2
Posts: 2,893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefisaac View Post
I should get into the business of breaking peoples saddles in for them. he he he
Hahahaha! Maybe we could start a corporation . . .
Mark Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 05:13 PM   #11
bwilliams
Senior Member
 
bwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: south carolina
Bikes: trek D.S. 8.3,2013 Trek Marlin
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i wish i could report the same but my Brooks has been nothing but uncomfortable,i still bleed after 12-13 miles(i have around 150 miles on it now,no sign of improvement,no matter how i adjust it),i am switching back to the stock sea,it was uncomfortable but never made me bleed...i was really hoping it would work out but its not to be..
bwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 05:54 PM   #12
AbundantChoice
Senior Member
 
AbundantChoice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boston
Bikes: modified Worksman
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
i wish i could report the same but my Brooks has been nothing but uncomfortable,i still bleed after 12-13 miles(i have around 150 miles on it now,no sign of improvement,no matter how i adjust it),i am switching back to the stock sea,it was uncomfortable but never made me bleed...i was really hoping it would work out but its not to be..
Wait... bleed as in... bleed? What part of the saddle is breaking your skin? Are you somehow getting saddle sores so bad they break open into open sores? In any case, if a saddle is making you actually bleed, i'd strongly advise *stop* using it immediately! It's either definitely not the saddle for you, or something is horribly horribly wrong with the saddle.
AbundantChoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-12, 06:03 PM   #13
bwilliams
Senior Member
 
bwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: south carolina
Bikes: trek D.S. 8.3,2013 Trek Marlin
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yes bleed,not pouring blood but dab with tissue paper and it is red blood,not trying to be graphic but the taint area is where it is...

i have moved the seat all over up, down, back, forward and it just does not help..and yes i am wearing padded bibs or padded MTB shorts,it dont matter there will be blood in the crotch after a ride..not saying a brooks is bad,its just not working for me right now,i did order a Selle An-Atomica to try...


i also broke a spoke on mondays ride..but being a clyde i expected it)
bwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 02:20 AM   #14
Rowan
Has opinion, will express
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
yes bleed,not pouring blood but dab with tissue paper and it is red blood,not trying to be graphic but the taint area is where it is...

i have moved the seat all over up, down, back, forward and it just does not help..and yes i am wearing padded bibs or padded MTB shorts,it dont matter there will be blood in the crotch after a ride..not saying a brooks is bad,its just not working for me right now,i did order a Selle An-Atomica to try...


i also broke a spoke on mondays ride..but being a clyde i expected it)
Can you post a picture of the bike with the saddle and you next to the bike? This might be a fit problem as much as a saddle issue.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 10:43 AM   #15
chefisaac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
yes bleed,not pouring blood but dab with tissue paper and it is red blood,not trying to be graphic but the taint area is where it is...

i have moved the seat all over up, down, back, forward and it just does not help..and yes i am wearing padded bibs or padded MTB shorts,it dont matter there will be blood in the crotch after a ride..not saying a brooks is bad,its just not working for me right now,i did order a Selle An-Atomica to try...


i also broke a spoke on mondays ride..but being a clyde i expected it)

Are you wearing cycling shorts like lycra?
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 01:17 PM   #16
Wolfwerx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour (x2), '83 Bianchi, '96 Trek 820, '96 Trek 470, '99 Xmart Squishy Bike, '03 Giant Cypress
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Can you post a picture of the bike with the saddle and you next to the bike? This might be a fit problem as much as a saddle issue.

That's what it sounds like to me, too.




Just a thought: the saddle may be too narrow for this particular rider. Or maybe he needs to tilt the nose up a bit to force his sit bones back onto the proper spot. Too far forward, and he could be jamming the nose of the saddle into his taint region.
Wolfwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 04:35 PM   #17
bigfred 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NZ
Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1
Posts: 3,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or, maybe, it's that a Brooks really doesn't fit this rider:-) I know, I know, the Born Again Brooks Users can't believe that such could be the case. But, alas, Brooks are not for everyone. Granted my Brooks experience was 25 years ago, but, they haven't changed in that time so it's probably as valid today as it was then. But, the Brooks Professional I tried was as uncomfortable a saddle as I had ever ridden on. They need to break in I was told and so, I continued to attempt to ride on it. To no avail.

Sorry guys. I know you love your Brooks and any number of their models seem to be a great saddle for many riders. But, there are other saddles out there and for some of us those other saddles represent much better choices. I would much rather start fine tuning a fit issue from a point where I was mearly "somewhat uncomfortable" rather than "bleeding".
__________________
Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.
bigfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 05:58 PM   #18
skilsaw
Senior Member
 
skilsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Victoria, Canada
Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
Posts: 1,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Terry's leather touring seat is called the "liberator"
Brook's most common seat is called the "B17"

What have WWII bombers, both flown by the USAF, got to do with bicycle seats?
skilsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 06:22 PM   #19
Mark Stone
Littledog
Thread Starter
 
Mark Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southwest Desert
Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape 2
Posts: 2,893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Day 2 on the B17, already clearly an all-day saddle. When it "breaks in" it's going to be even better. So far very happy with it, it's very very comfortable.
Mark Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 06:27 PM   #20
Mark Stone
Littledog
Thread Starter
 
Mark Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southwest Desert
Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape 2
Posts: 2,893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
Terry's leather touring seat is called the "liberator"
Brook's most common seat is called the "B17"

What have WWII bombers, both flown by the USAF, got to do with bicycle seats?
Don't know about the liberator, but the B17 saddle predates the bomber.
Mark Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 08:58 PM   #21
cod.peace
Senior Member
 
cod.peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: eastern Massachusetts
Bikes: Rans V-Rex
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfred View Post
Sorry guys. I know you love your Brooks and any number of their models seem to be a great saddle for many riders. But, there are other saddles out there and for some of us those other saddles represent much better choices. I would much rather start fine tuning a fit issue from a point where I was mearly "somewhat uncomfortable" rather than "bleeding".
I looked closely at the Brooks for my road bike. The expense and long break-in period before comfort could be judged were a turn-off. I sat on a few saddles in stores, figured out that the rounded saddles were horrendous, liked the flatter saddles, looked for one with a bit of a rise in the rear, and got a Prologo Nago Evo on sale. Pure comfort.
cod.peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 09:53 PM   #22
Mark Stone
Littledog
Thread Starter
 
Mark Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southwest Desert
Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape 2
Posts: 2,893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfred View Post
Or, maybe, it's that a Brooks really doesn't fit this rider:-) I know, I know, the Born Again Brooks Users can't believe that such could be the case. But, alas, Brooks are not for everyone. Granted my Brooks experience was 25 years ago, but, they haven't changed in that time so it's probably as valid today as it was then. But, the Brooks Professional I tried was as uncomfortable a saddle as I had ever ridden on. They need to break in I was told and so, I continued to attempt to ride on it. To no avail.

Sorry guys. I know you love your Brooks and any number of their models seem to be a great saddle for many riders. But, there are other saddles out there and for some of us those other saddles represent much better choices. I would much rather start fine tuning a fit issue from a point where I was mearly "somewhat uncomfortable" rather than "bleeding".
That's fine. Saddles are like every other area of our sport, a particular model or brand works for some and not for others. It took a leap of faith for me, because what if I spent all that money for a stupid seat and it ended up being a butt-hatchet? Fortunately it is verrrrrry comfortable from the get go so it looks like a good investment.
Mark Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-12, 02:23 AM   #23
chefisaac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: cherry hill, nj
Bikes:
Posts: 6,145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cod.peace View Post
I looked closely at the Brooks for my road bike. The expense and long break-in period before comfort could be judged were a turn-off. I sat on a few saddles in stores, figured out that the rounded saddles were horrendous, liked the flatter saddles, looked for one with a bit of a rise in the rear, and got a Prologo Nago Evo on sale. Pure comfort.
whats your mileage like?
chefisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-12, 08:03 AM   #24
corwin1968
Senior Member
 
corwin1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 1,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
yes bleed,not pouring blood but dab with tissue paper and it is red blood,not trying to be graphic but the taint area is where it is...

i have moved the seat all over up, down, back, forward and it just does not help..and yes i am wearing padded bibs or padded MTB shorts,it dont matter there will be blood in the crotch after a ride..not saying a brooks is bad,its just not working for me right now,i did order a Selle An-Atomica to try...


i also broke a spoke on mondays ride..but being a clyde i expected it)
Do you know if you have hemmorhoids? Have you ridden other saddles that did not make you bleed? It might just be unknown hemmorhoids being irritated by being on a bicycle seat.
corwin1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-12, 06:47 PM   #25
cod.peace
Senior Member
 
cod.peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: eastern Massachusetts
Bikes: Rans V-Rex
Posts: 999
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefisaac View Post
whats your mileage like?
So far it's been great up to about 20 miles, the most I'm gone on it in one ride. I don't really pay any attention to it with padded bike shorts on since I haven't had any discomfort, with plain nylon shorts on one 12 mile ride I got a bit of sit bone pressure at the end. The Nago Evo gets a lot of good reviews on the 'net, this description sums up the saddle quite well. I have the 134mm version in plain ole black. Another flat saddle I tried on a demo was the Fizik Antares VS, which was pretty good but the nose was too wide and it was totally flat front-to-back which I didn't care for.
cod.peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:43 PM.