Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: Helmet

  1. #1
    Senior Member Fangowolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Houston
    My Bikes
    2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike
    Posts
    426
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Helmet

    Okay I admit it, I have been riding without a helmet. I've only really been in the neighborhood and on bike paths, so I wasn't really worried about it. This weekend I saw a friends facebook post from several months ago, where a car bumped him off the road and he wound up cracking his helmet.

    So now I'm thinking I will need a helmet at some point. I'm looking at the price spread and I see $20-$180. I can see some big differences between 20 and 60-70 ish helmets, above that and it is getting fuzzier. Any non speed reasons to go over 80 ish for a helmet?

  2. #2
    Junior Member Bill Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hartselle Alabama
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Crosscut
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The simple answer is no. I just bought a new Scott that is light, very comfortable and has large air vents. It also has a removable visor and do my eye is not ugly. I paid $45 at my LBS.

    Happy Monday!

    Bill

  3. #3
    Senior Member Fangowolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Houston
    My Bikes
    2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike
    Posts
    426
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I combed through the search findings and finally found a thread on the same type post, so it looks like at a certain point they all protect about the same, with varying amounts of weight, ventilation, straps and looks. Sorry should have spent more time in the search.
    Last edited by Fangowolf; 10-01-12 at 09:02 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member mprelaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,985
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fangowolf View Post
    Thanks, I combed through the search findings and finally found a thread on the same type post, so it looks like at a certain point they all protect about the same, with varying amounts of weight, ventilation, straps and looks. Sorry should have spent more time in the search.
    That's pretty much the major difference---rider comfort. But, fit also comes into play. Some models fit different head shapes better. I have a one size fits all head---my wife doesn't.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    IF SCJ SE, Surly LHT, BikeFriday NWT, Cannondale M300, Raleigh 700
    Posts
    4,897
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year my helmet was damaged while flying to Montana for the start of a tour. Luckily, we were camping 2 blocks from R.E.I. The $45 Giro helmet I bought is far inferior to my Girop Atmos, which was their top of the line at one point, from a standpoint of ventilation. It's also far inferior to my Orbea Odin.

    I suggest not relying on the Internets to purchase a helmet unless you take the free rider approach (using a brick and mortar store for advice and then buying on line to save money). Helmet fit can vary between makes and models. For example, you may wear a size L in a Giro helmet but only a M in a Bell helmet. Poor fit can take away from the effectiveness. I just did a 7,000+ people charity ride this weekend. Saw lots of people with helmets that were so poorly fitted that they would offer little if any protection in most types of crashes.

    BTW...I find heavily used MUP's more dangerous than many roads. And ever since I saw a woman I know in the hospital after a bike accident I always wear my helmet. She wasn't wearing hers when riding relatively slow near her 'hood. A car pulled out from a space and knocked her down. She suffered a pretty bad closed head injury and was in a coma for over a week.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,930
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes agreed from above that MUP's are more dangerous. Yikes.

    Don't buy online if you can avoid it. Go into a local LBS and try them on.

    I tried a new helmet about 2 months ago. It's a Cannondale Quick Helmet: http://www.rei.com/product/831182/ca...ck-bike-helmet

    I LOVE it. Great air flow and allows me to QUICKLY make it bigger or smaller depending on what I wear under the helmet.
    Feel free to visit my blog www.chefonabicycle.com

  7. #7
    Carpe Velo Yo Spiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Posts
    2,506
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally buy helmets in the $30-50 range. The primary consideration for me is fit and comfort. I really won't know how well one might protect better than another unless I have the same accident in both. I seem to end up with a Specialized more often than not.
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

  8. #8
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    8,726
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fit, comfort and ventilation are the important considerations... I had a Giro Boreas for years and when it finally just wore out (the padding and suspension) I ordered a Giro Atmos from Amazon and I soldier on. Retail prices at your LBS are probably out of control high, and Amazon has a great return policy. More expensive helmets are unlikely to provide any protection benefits but they do have more vents, more flexible strap systems and are probably lighter, which may or may not matter to you. They all have to meet the same federal protection guidelines.

    Anyway, if you are unfamiliar with exactly what you want then a LBS is a good recommendation.

  9. #9
    Senior Member DEW21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Motor City
    My Bikes
    2012 Giant Escape, 199? Specialized HardRock
    Posts
    159
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to REI yesterday and tried this one on for size (Bell Lumin) then ordered it for $20 cheaper on Amazon. This is my first bike helmet and since getting back into biking last year, Ive had a few close calls and decided pushing my luck isnt worth it.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i01

  10. #10
    Senior Member Black wallnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ellensburg,WA
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux
    Posts
    2,043
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit of perspective is think about how much your ER copay is. Helmets even the most expensive ones are a bargain compared to not having one and crashing like my fried did on this ride. Even though his injuries were not head related they could have been had he not had one on.


    Mark

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy the least expensive helmet that fits and is comfortable at your LBS. After a few years, upgrade if there is something lacking. If you plan on riding in the winter, bring along a knit hat or balaclava to make sure it can fit underneath your helmet.

  12. #12
    got the climbing bug jsigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    one for everything
    Posts
    7,432
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cracked a $150 giro MTb on a crash couple yrs ago that saved my life or drinking from a straw the rest of it. Get the best you can afford and don't look back! If I was wearing a cheap $40 lid I normally used to use on that crash I think the outcome would have been different. I rolled off a small 4ft drop + bike and body height, landed head first on a rock, got up and kept spinning to the right. Had to wait 15 mins or so before I can even walk using the bike to hold me up. CT scan showed a nice concussion. Next day I threw out all cheap lids I had, and told the wife I'm gonna spend some money on more helmets, spent about $350 on a road and MTB helmet.

    This time of the year, you should be able to find 2012 models on a good sale price. More expensive helmets are lighter, stronger, more vents. Again get the best you can afford, you never know when it can save your life....
    Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,930
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
    I cracked a $150 giro MTb on a crash couple yrs ago that saved my life or drinking from a straw the rest of it. Get the best you can afford and don't look back! If I was wearing a cheap $40 lid I normally used to use on that crash I think the outcome would have been different. I rolled off a small 4ft drop + bike and body height, landed head first on a rock, got up and kept spinning to the right. Had to wait 15 mins or so before I can even walk using the bike to hold me up. CT scan showed a nice concussion. Next day I threw out all cheap lids I had, and told the wife I'm gonna spend some money on more helmets, spent about $350 on a road and MTB helmet.

    This time of the year, you should be able to find 2012 models on a good sale price. More expensive helmets are lighter, stronger, more vents. Again get the best you can afford, you never know when it can save your life....
    I don't think there is much difference between the $40 model and the $150 model. I asked this while in the bike shop and the owner said that they all meet requirements and that's it.
    Feel free to visit my blog www.chefonabicycle.com

  14. #14
    got the climbing bug jsigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    one for everything
    Posts
    7,432
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    meeting the requirements and exceed the requirements are two different things..... I have better peace of mind spending the extra $100 there
    Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    IF SCJ SE, Surly LHT, BikeFriday NWT, Cannondale M300, Raleigh 700
    Posts
    4,897
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black wallnut View Post
    A bit of perspective is think about how much your ER copay is. Helmets even the most expensive ones are a bargain compared to not having one and crashing like my fried did on this ride. Even though his injuries were not head related they could have been had he not had one on.
    I made a similar point to someome who said he has been having chronic Achilles Tendon pain but was hesitant to plop down the money for a bike fit. I am currently going to PT for a fractured collar bone and possible rotator cuff damage back in June. My co-pay is $40 a session.

  16. #16
    Tom... you are missed Pamestique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    So Cal
    My Bikes
    I don't own any bikes
    Posts
    4,608
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All certified helmet will protect your noggin. Please get one soon.

    As to price, it has to do with weight and style; number of air vents. I tend to buy expensive helmets because they are lightweight and vent better... but a $30 helmet is great as well... just please wear one!
    Last edited by Pamestique; 10-01-12 at 02:07 PM.
    ______________________________________________________________

    Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

  17. #17
    Tom... you are missed Pamestique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    So Cal
    My Bikes
    I don't own any bikes
    Posts
    4,608
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chefisaac View Post
    I don't think there is much difference between the $40 model and the $150 model. I asked this while in the bike shop and the owner said that they all meet requirements and that's it.
    Absolutely correct...

    PS: I buy online for better price but then again, i know the helmet I want.
    ______________________________________________________________

    Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,930
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
    meeting the requirements and exceed the requirements are two different things..... I have better peace of mind spending the extra $100 there
    But the question is that can it be proved that the extra $100 is an improvement.
    Feel free to visit my blog www.chefonabicycle.com

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chefisaac View Post
    I don't think there is much difference between the $40 model and the $150 model. I asked this while in the bike shop and the owner said that they all meet requirements and that's it.
    +1. Styrofoam with a hard coating and a couple straps. Absolutely necessary. From a business perspective is a product that milks incredible markups based on very inexpensive features. A few grams less, more vents, and some plastic levers to allow for adjustments and that's a $100-150 markup. A $50-80 lid will work just as fine as the $150-200 one. From the protection standpoint, both do the exact same job. Once/if the industry begins rating helmets for crashing forces and we see stats from tests of dummies on bikes going head on trees or cars all claims of expensive helmets being stronger or safer than less expensive alternatives is just BS.

  20. #20
    Getting older and slower!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bowling Green, Kentucky
    My Bikes
    Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Trek Madone 6.9, Trek XO1
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After you have ridden a few miles, weight becomes more of an issue.

    With a good ventilation helmet you will actually be cooler on very hot days than not wearing a helmet.

    If you get into speed, areodynamics also comes into play.

    Are these worth the extra money?

    For brands, my last three helmets have been Giro.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,930
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acquaspin View Post
    +1. Styrofoam with a hard coating and a couple straps. Absolutely necessary. From a business perspective is a product that milks incredible markups based on very inexpensive features. A few grams less, more vents, and some plastic levers to allow for adjustments and that's a $100-150 markup. A $50-80 lid will work just as fine as the $150-200 one. From the protection standpoint, both do the exact same job. Once/if the industry begins rating helmets for crashing forces and we see stats from tests of dummies on bikes going head on trees or cars all claims of expensive helmets being stronger or safer than less expensive alternatives is just BS.
    I would agree with you 100%. I would like to see third party tests done and a rating system to be frank.
    Feel free to visit my blog www.chefonabicycle.com

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    My Bikes
    Schwinn High Timber
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was riding without a helmet as well...I am officially over that. My son ran into a (moving) car on one of our first bike rides this spring...he is okay but he said his head hit the tire and sure enough, the helmet is cracked.

    I did all my incidental riding this summer without a helmet, but given I'm riding more, I figured my chances of getting hit are greater, and there are a lot of antique drivers in my community, so I dusted it off and I've been wearing it.

    I think it cost me $25 at Freddy's.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,930
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cychologist View Post
    After you have ridden a few miles, weight becomes more of an issue.

    With a good ventilation helmet you will actually be cooler on very hot days than not wearing a helmet.

    If you get into speed, areodynamics also comes into play.

    Are these worth the extra money?

    For brands, my last three helmets have been Giro.
    This is the clyde and athena section. I do not think 5-20 grams of weight saving is anything to write home about and even less of a concern when commuting. I see your point and respect it. However, there are expensive helmets on the market that off you less ventilation then the cheaper ones.

    And how many miles are we talking about when weight plays an issue? 100, 1000, 5,000?
    Feel free to visit my blog www.chefonabicycle.com

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    My Bikes
    GT Transeo
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just like anything else about your bicycle, the most important factor should be fit. Find a helmet that fits comfortably. If it's not comfortable, you're less likely to use it, and it's not gonna help if it's in your garage.

    I got a midrange Specialized helmet ($80-ish iirc) because the cheaper one didn't feel right, and the more expensive one didn't feel better. I could have bought the more expensive one but didn't see the point. The cheaper one wouldn't have felt right, so it stayed in the store.
    Last edited by EGUNWT; 10-01-12 at 04:05 PM. Reason: spelling

  25. #25
    Getting older and slower!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bowling Green, Kentucky
    My Bikes
    Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Trek Madone 6.9, Trek XO1
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chefisaac View Post
    This is the clyde and athena section. I do not think 5-20 grams of weight saving is anything to write home about and even less of a concern when commuting. I see your point and respect it. However, there are expensive helmets on the market that off you less ventilation then the cheaper ones.

    And how many miles are we talking about when weight plays an issue? 100, 1000, 5,000?

    You support the helmet with your neck while stretched out over your handlebars. After 50 or so miles, trust me the weight of your helmet becomes an issue.

    And at 210, I'm still a Clyde.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •