Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-12, 12:30 PM   #1
ahultin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ahultin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bonsall, Ca
Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So.....when is the next forum ride scheduled :)

Title says it, do we have a date? I think PJ suggested a SART run?
ahultin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 12:41 PM   #2
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahultin View Post
Title says it, do we have a date? I think PJ suggested a SART run?
I think someone has a surprise for us?
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 12:47 PM   #3
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,310
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
I think someone has a surprise for us?
Huh? If somebody's giving away carbon wheels I'm in!

Say, Strava has a 79 mile challenge next weekend so I'm probably going to do a big SGRT-SART loop on Sunday 11/18 if anybody wants to meet up somewhere on one of the river trails. We could group ride as much as we want.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 01:46 PM   #4
PhotoJoe
Just Plain Slow
 
PhotoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Bikes: Lynskey R230
Posts: 5,838
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
I thought it would end up being this.

I'm out of commission right now. I've got my normal job which is crazy-busy right now, plus my photography business, which is crazy-busy right now, plus some other stuff going on. I think my next day off, except Thanksgiving, is in December. So, whatever you all do, post pix, PLEASE!

I thought I was going to get to ride for a while on Saturday, but had to go down and help out at the Breeder's Cup at Santa Anita. 15 hour day. So much for riding!
__________________
If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not the sport for you!
PhotoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 02:04 PM   #5
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,310
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
PJ - I was going to order you one of those bicycle bungees just for fun till I noticed this:

Bicycle Bungee: $298.00
Freight: $22.00
Total: $320.00
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 02:46 PM   #6
PhotoJoe
Just Plain Slow
 
PhotoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Bikes: Lynskey R230
Posts: 5,838
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
PJ - I was going to order you one of those bicycle bungees just for fun till I noticed this:

Bicycle Bungee: $298.00
Freight: $22.00
Total: $320.00


For that money, Mrs. PhotoPJ can pedal all by herself!
__________________
If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not the sport for you!
PhotoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 02:58 PM   #7
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling
 
Beachgrad05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood, CA
Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, 12 Trek 4.5 Madone, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace
Posts: 2,775
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Huh? If somebody's giving away carbon wheels I'm in!

Say, Strava has a 79 mile challenge next weekend so I'm probably going to do a big SGRT-SART loop on Sunday 11/18 if anybody wants to meet up somewhere on one of the river trails. We could group ride as much as we want.
ME!!!! Let me know where and when!!! I was going to do a loner ride but rather do it with others. I am slower than you tho.
Beachgrad05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 03:20 PM   #8
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,310
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe View Post


For that money, Mrs. PhotoPJ can pedal all by herself!
Um, I meant for *you*. I'm sure Mrs PJ does fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05 View Post
ME!!!! Let me know where and when!!! I was going to do a loner ride but rather do it with others. I am slower than you tho.
No idea where, just has to happen Sunday morning some time. If anybody else is up for it that will affect the start spot, otherwise I'll just ride down to where you are and we can go from there.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 03:31 PM   #9
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling
 
Beachgrad05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood, CA
Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, 12 Trek 4.5 Madone, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace
Posts: 2,775
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
No idea where, just has to happen Sunday morning some time. If anybody else is up for it that will affect the start spot, otherwise I'll just ride down to where you are and we can go from there.
Sounds good. Guess I will be recording the game....We are going to Rush at The Honda Ctr Sat night...so maybe not SUPER early start?
Beachgrad05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 03:49 PM   #10
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,310
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
It's too dark to start super early ... a pox on winter! Although I do enjoy the temps. We'll see if we can hornswoggle anybody else into joining us, otherwise we can meet at Liberty park or something along those lines. How far do you want to go? I want to go at least 80-100 but I'll be riding down so that should be easily doable.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 05:15 PM   #11
ahultin
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
ahultin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bonsall, Ca
Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I would be in for SART on the 18th. Just need to know when and where
ahultin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 05:20 PM   #12
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling
 
Beachgrad05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood, CA
Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, 12 Trek 4.5 Madone, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace
Posts: 2,775
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
It's too dark to start super early ... a pox on winter! Although I do enjoy the temps. We'll see if we can hornswoggle anybody else into joining us, otherwise we can meet at Liberty park or something along those lines. How far do you want to go? I want to go at least 80-100 but I'll be riding down so that should be easily doable.
I intend to meet at least 79 to meet the challenge on Strava. Having said that...I have not yet ridden beyond 70. Liberty Park works but I can also ride further north to meet up as well. Do you have a route in mind? I got the SGRT to SART but are you wanting to do a loop or turn around on SART and head back to SGRT the way we came?
Beachgrad05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 05:22 PM   #13
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling
 
Beachgrad05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood, CA
Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, 12 Trek 4.5 Madone, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace
Posts: 2,775
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahultin View Post
I would be in for SART on the 18th. Just need to know when and where
Hey Ahultin, think the "plan" TH is cooking up has a start point on SGRT (San Gabriel River Trail) and guessing heading south to PCH to SART and head inland on SART...not sure what the rest of the "plan" is yet.
Beachgrad05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 06:06 PM   #14
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,310
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
I think if we want to hit 79 miles, we'll need to do a big loop. I suggested liberty park because I know you're reasonably close but we could start anywhere we want.

This is vaguely the route I have in mind: http://app.strava.com/activities/6355046 but of course it's not quite long enough. It's pretty easy to keep going on Sart and then backtrack to Tustin and head back to SGRT, which would be plenty.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 06:08 PM   #15
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,310
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
OR! We could meet somewhere at the beach end of SART and ride to the green river terminus and back. Beach, you could ride there and back to hit your 80, I could do the same so we'll group ride the middle 50-60 miles or whatever it is.

I'm flexible and I don't need to set any land speed records either.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 07:51 PM   #16
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling
 
Beachgrad05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood, CA
Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, 12 Trek 4.5 Madone, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace
Posts: 2,775
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
OR! We could meet somewhere at the beach end of SART and ride to the green river terminus and back. Beach, you could ride there and back to hit your 80, I could do the same so we'll group ride the middle 50-60 miles or whatever it is.

I'm flexible and I don't need to set any land speed records either.
Can go with either option tho the meet at beach end of SART might allow for others to join the ride for the SART portion.
Beachgrad05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 10:16 PM   #17
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,310
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Alright - so let's do two things... we'll get people suckered in and then we'll choose a route based on how far they want to ride and how far they have to drive.

ahultin
Beachgrad
TrojanHorse

Winds are generally neutral early in the day and definitely blow southward / inland later in the day so I like to tweak my route accordingly (that's the main reason i like to ride down SGRT and back up SART).

A - how far do you feel like riding?

Another route idea that would be easier for people driving in, we could park at Liberty park and do a big loop from there (it's basically here - https://maps.google.com/?ll=33.85402...26157&t=m&z=16)

Alternately, we could park near the anaheim A (basically on Town Center, just off Orangewood of the 57 - https://maps.google.com/?ll=33.79507...13078&t=m&z=17)

Anybody else feel like a nice long & flat ride?
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 10:35 PM   #18
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling
 
Beachgrad05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood, CA
Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, 12 Trek 4.5 Madone, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace
Posts: 2,775
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Alright - so let's do two things... we'll get people suckered in and then we'll choose a route based on how far they want to ride and how far they have to drive.

ahultin
Beachgrad
TrojanHorse

Winds are generally neutral early in the day and definitely blow southward / inland later in the day so I like to tweak my route accordingly (that's the main reason i like to ride down SGRT and back up SART).

A - how far do you feel like riding?

Another route idea that would be easier for people driving in, we could park at Liberty park and do a big loop from there (it's basically here - https://maps.google.com/?ll=33.85402...26157&t=m&z=16)

Alternately, we could park near the anaheim A (basically on Town Center, just off Orangewood of the 57 - https://maps.google.com/?ll=33.79507...13078&t=m&z=17)

Anybody else feel like a nice long & flat ride?
Only issue I see with Liberty Park is the fact SGRT is F'd up btwn Del Amo and Carson for repaving
Beachgrad05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 10:40 PM   #19
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,310
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Well, work the phones BG! Get some folks interested! We could start at the A, ride up SART, cruise the mean streets of Brea and Whittier to get back to SGRT, head up to the dam (not the one up by Azusa) and cruise over to the LA river, ride down to Long beach and motor down PCH to SART and finish up that way.

I'll gin up a route later if that sounds interesting.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 10:43 PM   #20
TJClay
Senior Member
 
TJClay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, Ca.
Bikes: Domane Project One, 6 series, Ui2
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm in for something on SART Sunday morning, preferably starting near the beach
TJClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 10:48 PM   #21
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling
 
Beachgrad05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood, CA
Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, 12 Trek 4.5 Madone, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace
Posts: 2,775
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Well, work the phones BG! Get some folks interested! We could start at the A, ride up SART, cruise the mean streets of Brea and Whittier to get back to SGRT, head up to the dam (not the one up by Azusa) and cruise over to the LA river, ride down to Long beach and motor down PCH to SART and finish up that way.

I'll gin up a route later if that sounds interesting.
it does to me

This was my course idea when I was going to go solo:
http://connect.garmin.com/course/2379032
Beachgrad05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 11:35 PM   #22
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles
 
Daspydyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Btw the Mohave desert and AREA 51
Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20
Posts: 5,368
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Some people are kicking this around.

http://tourdepalmsprings.graphtek.com/Ride-Info
__________________
I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Daspydyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 11:53 PM   #23
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,310
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daspydyr View Post
Some people are kicking this around.

http://tourdepalmsprings.graphtek.com/Ride-Info
er? What does that have to do with November 18?

Woo hoo! New dude! Who else is up for this grand adventure?

TJ
AHultin
BG
TH

TJ - where ever we go, I'll probably ride to the start from whittier I'm feeling masochistic. Where's a good free parking spot near the beach for our SART adventure?
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 11:57 PM   #24
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
er? What does that have to do with November 18?
Unless they are moving the TDPS to accommodate your Strava challenge, I'd have to say his repsonse does relate to the OP.
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-12, 02:20 AM   #25
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,310
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Bah.

I think I have the rest of the family convinced that the 25 mile TDPS is a good idea while I go scoot around the century course. And then Solvang. And then Ride around the Bear.

Woot.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:00 AM.