Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/)
-   -   Need advice (http://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdales-athenas-200-lb-91-kg/857169-need-advice.html)

jtdickie 11-11-12 10:04 AM

Need advice
 
Hello all,

I am 69 years old and will turn 70 in July. I'd like to go for a 70 mile ride on my birthday. Right now I can do 20 miles with no issues. I don't know if I can go much more as I have never done it. I've been biking for about 12 years now. I weigh 293 pounds and my bicycle is a 2012 Raleigh Sojourn. What training should I start to achieve the 70 miles? I live here in "low country" South Carolina and it is all flat terrain (very flat).

Thanks,

Jim

10 Wheels 11-11-12 10:18 AM

Ride as much as you can.

I started with 5 mile rides, rest, then another 5 miles.

Got in 50 miles one day with that method.

Rest when you need days off.

Try to cut back on your calories.

I started at age 65 and got in 11,200 miles the first year.

vesteroid 11-11-12 11:35 AM

I think it's time related. I would concentrate on getting in rides of about an hour as many times during the week as you can and start working up to longer rides on the weekend. Would guess your going to need somewhere in the 4-5 hour range to do your 70 miles. So maybe up you long rides by a half hour a month till you get there?

1nterceptor 11-11-12 12:11 PM

http://www.bikenewyork.org/advice/tr...tury-training/

Nightshade 11-11-12 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtdickie (Post 14936909)
Hello all,

I am 69 years old and will turn 70 in July. I'd like to go for a 70 mile ride on my birthday. Right now I can do 20 miles with no issues. I don't know if I can go much more as I have never done it. I've been biking for about 12 years now. I weigh 293 pounds and my bicycle is a 2012 Raleigh Sojourn. What training should I start to achieve the 70 miles? I live here in "low country" South Carolina and it is all flat terrain (very flat).

Thanks,

Jim

This I don't get. Just because you turn 70 doesn't mean to prove something to someone else (???) you have to push yourself well past a sane endurance level for a 70 year old body. Vanity has a steep price all it's own.

What's the point??

If you want to ride 70 miles then do it in stages over the course of a week so that you can actually enjoy the ride with little to no danger to your body. At 70 we've all fought our battles and now it's time to chill back and just enjoy the very short ride that life has to offer us 'till the end.

mprelaw 11-11-12 02:43 PM

Where you live, you should be able to ride most of the winter. If you haven't done so yet, consult your doctor. Assuming that there are no medical issues that prevent you from doing this, you've already been given the correct advice. It's a time issue. Build up to it. I'm assuming that your current 20 miles take you more than an hour? I figure, at 15 mph average that takes an hour and a half. You're probably not averaging 15 mph yet, so two hours right now should be easy for you. You're ready to try a 30 miler next weekend. Get on a good eating program and the weight will start to come off. I started at 235 in 2010. I'm down to 160 now. I'm only ten years younger than you, and I've done two centuries since June, and more metrics. Maybe a dozen metrics in total over the last 13 months. Don't let anyone discourage you from setting a goal and working towards it. Cycling isn't all that strenuous. At least not as a recreational pasttime. Just get your ticker checked out if you haven't done so. If you don't suffer chest pains/shortness of breath on your 20 mile rides, there likely isn't a cardiac issue, but it wouldn't hurt to get it checked out anyway.

1nterceptor 11-11-12 02:47 PM

Some folks can continue watching TV their whole life,
while some get off their duff to accomplish things.

http://bicycling.com/blogs/thehub/20...ycling-record/

" A French centenarian on Friday set a record for the fastest 100-year-old to cycle 100 kilometers (62 miles) and said he had outdone himself."

goldfinch 11-11-12 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightshade (Post 14937383)
This I don't get. Just because you turn 70 doesn't mean to prove something to someone else (???) you have to push yourself well past a sane endurance level for a 70 year old body. Vanity has a steep price all it's own.

What's the point??

If you want to ride 70 miles then do it in stages over the course of a week so that you can actually enjoy the ride with little to no danger to your body. At 70 we've all fought our battles and now it's time to chill back and just enjoy the very short ride that life has to offer us 'till the end.

There are plenty of 70 year old that can do such a ride with "little to no danger" to their body. My cousin is in his mid-70s and runs a couple of marathons a year. If he wants to ride 70 miles on his birthday more power to him. I hope to do the same someday. When I turned 57 last year I rode 57 miles. The year before I was obese and couldn't ride 4 miles. It is amazing what one can do even as they age.

Jim, here is a post of a training schedule to work up to doing a 100 miles .http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post14417065 It assumes you are riding 25 to 50 miles a week. You can reduce the daily miles somewhat from what the schedule proposes so that your first longest ride in a week is 20 miles. So, because the first long ride of the schedule is 30 miles, reduce the rides in the schedule by 1/3 (66%) to start until you work up to the 30 mile ride. You also could slow down the schedule a bit. One day of rest in a week might not be quite enough. You may need a bit more rest days.

Or, just ride regularly and increase your rides each week by 10%.

Or, be like me. I am not this methodical. I just try to ride regularly, at least 5 days a week if the weather is nice with at least one or two longer rides in a week. If I am working up to a long ride (my longest is 75 miles) I will try to get a few rides of about 60 miles in during the month or two before the long ride.

10 Wheels 11-11-12 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightshade (Post 14937383)
This I don't get. Just because you turn 70 doesn't mean to prove something to someone else (???) you have to push yourself well past a sane endurance level for a 70 year old body. Vanity has a steep price all it's own. What's the point?? If you want to ride 70 miles then do it in stages over the course of a week so that you can actually enjoy the ride with little to no danger to your body. At 70 we've all fought our battles and now it's time to chill back and just enjoy the very short ride that life has to offer us 'till the end.


My friend Roy rode 750 miles for his 75th Birthday. He had fun.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...r/May14Map.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/h...Tour/NoCar.jpg

Homeyba 11-11-12 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightshade (Post 14937383)
This I don't get. ...

You don't get it because you've apparently given up on life. Because you turn 70 you're supposed to sit in your rocker and wait for death to come for you? Are you serious? I applaud jtdickie for having the ambition to get out there and enjoy his life! I suggest that you follow his example. 70 miles is nothing if you do a little preparation and training, even at 70+ years old. A team of four 75+yr old (average age, two were over 80) raced and completed the Race Across America last year. We are only limited by the limitations we put on ourselves.

cplager 11-11-12 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor (Post 14937186)

I second this.

My friend and I wanted to train for a metric century and we used these numbers (scaled down from miles to kilometers) as our training guides.

Before I started training for the metric century (100 km - 62 miles), I hadn't been on a ride longer than 17 miles in at least 20 years. Eight weeks later and I was ready.

The good news for the OP is that you have plenty of time. As others have said, build up your rides bit by bit. As you get within a couple months, I'd switch to a plan like above.

The biggest thing about a long ride is making sure you (1) don't go out too hard in the beginning and (2) make sure you hydrate and eat enough. Practice makes perfect.

You've set a very reasonable goal for yourself. If your doctors don't see a reason for you not to go for it, neither do I.

Ride safe,
Charles

rebel1916 11-12-12 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightshade (Post 14937383)
This I don't get. Just because you turn 70 doesn't mean to prove something to someone else (???) you have to push yourself well past a sane endurance level for a 70 year old body. Vanity has a steep price all it's own.

What's the point??

If you want to ride 70 miles then do it in stages over the course of a week so that you can actually enjoy the ride with little to no danger to your body. At 70 we've all fought our battles and now it's time to chill back and just enjoy the very short ride that life has to offer us 'till the end.

I think he'll be OK so long as he doesn't use clipless...

cplager 11-12-12 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebel1916 (Post 14939245)
I think he'll be OK so long as he doesn't use clipless...

Ummm... o.k. I'll bite.

Huh?

Mark Stone 11-12-12 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightshade (Post 14937383)
This I don't get. Just because you turn 70 doesn't mean to prove something to someone else (???) you have to push yourself well past a sane endurance level for a 70 year old body. Vanity has a steep price all it's own.

What's the point??

If you want to ride 70 miles then do it in stages over the course of a week so that you can actually enjoy the ride with little to no danger to your body. At 70 we've all fought our battles and now it's time to chill back and just enjoy the very short ride that life has to offer us 'till the end.

:notamused:

goldfinch 11-12-12 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cplager (Post 14939304)
Ummm... o.k. I'll bite.

Huh?

Nightshade believes that clipless pedals are dangerous.

indyfabz 11-12-12 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightshade (Post 14937383)
This I don't get. Just because you turn 70 doesn't mean to prove something to someone else (???) you have to push yourself well past a sane endurance level for a 70 year old body. Vanity has a steep price all it's own.

I don't get this. I crossed the country on a unsupported tour with a guy who was 76. He tunred 77 during the trip. We did plenty of days over 70 miles. I have done plenty of strenuous 70+ miles rides with men in their 70s and even 80s. None of them are insane. In fact, one of them runs this business and spends much of the year riding in Italy:

http://www.italiancycling.com/

You should pick up a copy of "Younger Next Year" and read it.

mprelaw 11-12-12 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cplager (Post 14939304)
Ummm... o.k. I'll bite.

Huh?

Nightshade is a legend on this site, for telling people that they'll kill themselves if they use clipless pedals. Read his signature.

IBOHUNT 11-12-12 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtdickie (Post 14936909)
Hello all,

I am 69 years old and will turn 70 in July. I'd like to go for a 70 mile ride on my birthday. Right now I can do 20 miles with no issues. I don't know if I can go much more as I have never done it. I've been biking for about 12 years now. I weigh 293 pounds and my bicycle is a 2012 Raleigh Sojourn. What training should I start to achieve the 70 miles? I live here in "low country" South Carolina and it is all flat terrain (very flat).

Thanks,

Jim

Here's to you for wanting to do that. Heck, I hope I see 60 let alone 70.

As for making it 70 miles..
I'll second the folks that say to increase your ride duration a little at a time.
Take a look at the link that 1nterceptor posted.

You say you can do 20 with no issues. What happens if you try to go further?
Is it pain/discomfort that's holding you back?
Is it a mental thing?

Perhaps if you can expound on what's holding you back we could offer up some advice with respect to those.

PhotoJoe 11-12-12 10:52 AM

I, too, commend the OP for setting a goal, working toward it and (assuming) conquering it. I'm the same way, and it keeps me motivated.


*Puts on moderator hat* - This thread is about the OP's goals and how to reach them. If you'd like to discuss the safety of clipless, feel free to do so in one of the many other heated debates on the forum. Thanks.

jtdickie 11-13-12 10:55 AM

Thanks to all for your input. I'll keep y'all posted.

Jim

maidenfan 11-13-12 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeyba (Post 14937919)
You don't get it because you've apparently given up on life. Because you turn 70 you're supposed to sit in your rocker and wait for death to come for you? Are you serious? I applaud jtdickie for having the ambition to get out there and enjoy his life! I suggest that you follow his example. 70 miles is nothing if you do a little preparation and training, even at 70+ years old. A team of four 75+yr old (average age, two were over 80) raced and completed the Race Across America last year. We are only limited by the limitations we put on ourselves.

+1

Very poor attitude about life there Nightshade. A guy in my local club (Portland Wheelmen Touring Club) just did 77 for his 77th bday.

maidenfan 11-13-12 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 14937480)

Nice!

Mark Stone 11-13-12 05:24 PM

When I was younger, I had a goal simply to ride my bicycle to my 80th birthday party. That would be awesome. However, now that I have met many senior citizens on two wheels, and also now that I'm about to turn 60 and can gage how I feel and know my health level, I'm certain I'll be riding my usual distances when I turn 80 and it's not going to be that big of a deal to spin over to the birthday bash. Maybe I'll set a goal to do a century when I turn 80? I dunno.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:46 PM.