Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Hey, Gina's Alright!

    I should start an account for her on Strava and post her times. Since she's always with me, she could use my Garmin to post her info.

    We had a PR on a section yesterday. Glassell to Lincoln, 23.1 average speed. Nothing special but she would have placed #254 out of the 2048 riders that have posted times.

  2. #2
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Merlin Road, Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    7,450
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. On a tandem. I thought we've been over this already!

    Well, you've got me by a solid 2.2 mph on that stretch of road, you should celebrate and go buy some new bike stuff.

  3. #3
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
    Yes. On a tandem. I thought we've been over this already!
    You know how many of the times posted are in peletons, drafting, or tandems? Prolly alot Don't hate the playuh, hate the game.

  4. #4
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Merlin Road, Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    7,450
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    You know how many of the times posted are in peletons, drafting, or tandems? Prolly alot Don't hate the playuh, hate the game.
    You mean like this one? Firehouse to PCH.... and I was hanging on for dear life. We caught a few other dudes and in the effort of not being one of "those" people who pass and then promptly slow down we ended up dropping half our little group I'll probably never get a time like that again on that stretch unless the king of Santa Anas blows through.

    Firehouse to PCH.jpg

  5. #5
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
    You mean like this one? Firehouse to PCH.... and I was hanging on for dear life. We caught a few other dudes and in the effort of not being one of "those" people who pass and then promptly slow down we ended up dropping half our little group I'll probably never get a time like that again on that stretch unless the king of Santa Anas blows through.

    Firehouse to PCH.jpg
    Yup! 99% of my rides are all me cause I'm at the front 99% of the time. Only time I let someone else at the front is after the tough parts riding with a tailwind and or to shoot video.

    I guess I feel the same way on organized rides too. If you were on The Bear when I do those rides, you'd see that I do the rides 100% solo, no drafting. I like knowing the posted times are 100% me and nothing else.


    One of the things that burns me up though is the 35 mile sucker that drops me on the last 1 mile of a strava segment just to say he beat me. Good help is hard to find. And that was my friend!


    But that is a good time on that segment. I doubt I will ever beat that one. Solo I might get 39 minutes and with help, 39 minutes cause more than likely the guy supposedly helping me will sprint around and drop me the last 1/2 mile.

  6. #6
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Merlin Road, Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    7,450
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    One of the things that burns me up though is the 35 mile sucker that drops me on the last 1 mile of a strava segment just to say he beat me. Good help is hard to find. And that was my friend!
    Sheesh, with friends like that, who needs enemies!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    Opus Andante/Parleez5i/Burley Tosa Tandem
    Posts
    2,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like your friend is a smart rider. Lol. I too spend 90% of my rides out front, not showing off, not trying to prove anything just prefer to be there.
    Best thing about cycling is when I'm at work I'm thinking of cycling, when I'm cycling I'm thinking about cycling.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Fangowolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Houston
    My Bikes
    2012 Surly LHT / Nashbar Steel Cyclocross / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike
    Posts
    397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody was going slow enough for me to draft them from that d**n 25mph wind! Hey I tracked my worst I'm not sure I can keep pedaling times and it turns out those were the times it showed 2% grade. I can't really get anything out of that because of the dang wind, but how high are those grades going on those mountain rides?

  9. #9
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by youcoming View Post
    Sounds like your friend is a smart rider. Lol. I too spend 90% of my rides out front, not showing off, not trying to prove anything just prefer to be there.
    He's a cheeseball! I didn't post it clearly but when somebody sucks your whel for 35 miles, you call them to the front and they won't take a pull but then sprints around you and drops you on a section they know is a strava segment just to say they beat you on that segment, is a cheeseball.

    FTR, once I caught back up two mile later, he was burnt out, I caught my breath and zoomed around him so he couldnt latch on. Then I conintued the final 5 miles to the finish without him then waited at the end for about 10 minutes. I guess you'd be different cause you said you don't show off, he did then got dropped for the rest of the ride. Not my idea of smart!

  10. #10
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Merlin Road, Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    7,450
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fangowolf View Post
    but how high are those grades going on those mountain rides?
    The one we always talk about here (Glendora Mountain Rd = GMR) is usually about 6-8% for 9 miles. Some of the steeper hills near me get up to about 11 and there are one or two streets I ride on that are a mile or so of 13-14% and really, that makes me cry.

    As for drafting, I hate it when complete strangers just latch on! I had a tailgater on Saturday for a couple miles and he was so close he made me positively nervous. I didn't have it in me to do any of those nasty things the internet tough guys on the 41 talk about doing but who in their right mind overlaps wheels with somebody they don't know... at all. I finally dropped him at the SGRT detour, or he went a different direction, I don't know.

  11. #11
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fangowolf View Post
    but how high are those grades going on those mountain rides?

    TH described GRM which is pretty much about the same as the others I posted, mostly 6-7%, steep section here and there.

    This ride (Baldy Rd to the Ski lifts) Hillbasher and I did is a bit steeper and not too many riders go to the ski lifts. It's 14 miles and 5,000 ft gain straight up. Some grades along the way at 12,14,16,18 %....The final stretch is 15% , lots of fun ha ha!


  12. #12
    Senior Member RedC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    My Bikes
    Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
    Posts
    762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gina is one of the many women I can't keep up with. We're going this weekend to the biggest hills in Florida for the Horrible Hundred. Several of those hills are double digits and make me cry
    Red, like the color my hair used to be.

    Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    Opus Andante/Parleez5i/Burley Tosa Tandem
    Posts
    2,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    He's a cheeseball! I didn't post it clearly but when somebody sucks your whel for 35 miles, you call them to the front and they won't take a pull but then sprints around you and drops you on a section they know is a strava segment just to say they beat you on that segment, is a cheeseball.

    FTR, once I caught back up two mile later, he was burnt out, I caught my breath and zoomed around him so he couldnt latch on. Then I conintued the final 5 miles to the finish without him then waited at the end for about 10 minutes. I guess you'd be different cause you said you don't show off, he did then got dropped for the rest of the ride. Not my idea of smart!
    Waiting for someone isin't showing off, it's recovery! I hope someday to climb the GMR maybe in the spring and I'm sure it will kick my ass from start to finish but I will finish, way behind any of you billy goats but I have nothing here to train for that!
    Best thing about cycling is when I'm at work I'm thinking of cycling, when I'm cycling I'm thinking about cycling.

  14. #14
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Merlin Road, Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    7,450
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by youcoming View Post
    I hope someday to climb the GMR maybe in the spring and I'm sure it will kick my ass from start to finish but I will finish, way behind any of you billy goats but I have nothing here to train for that!
    Somehow I doubt that.

    Sandbagger.

  15. #15
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by youcoming View Post
    Waiting for someone isin't showing off, it's recovery!
    Your comprehension must really be lacking on this one.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    Opus Andante/Parleez5i/Burley Tosa Tandem
    Posts
    2,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I do showoff but I prefer to do it buy winning the town sign sprints, like any other area we sprint all the town signs. Win some loose some but we all know it's a race, I hate getting boxed in! We have a few hills that we always use as a race but nothing with sustained climbing like mountains just short steep suckers. I can only imagine climbing for 10k at 6% average and then have to do 15%. WE have 15% hills but no lead up. Heck the longest climb we have in my area is 8k long but only averages 4%, the hardest I've done is only 1km long but averages 13% with peaks at 28%. Only one way to find out, guess I'll have to find a mountain, my son would love it, he's a climbing fool.
    Best thing about cycling is when I'm at work I'm thinking of cycling, when I'm cycling I'm thinking about cycling.

  17. #17
    Member vntgdrms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo RS
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
    The one we always talk about here (Glendora Mountain Rd = GMR) is usually about 6-8% for 9 miles. Some of the steeper hills near me get up to about 11 and there are one or two streets I ride on that are a mile or so of 13-14% and really, that makes me cry.

    As for drafting, I hate it when complete strangers just latch on! I had a tailgater on Saturday for a couple miles and he was so close he made me positively nervous. I didn't have it in me to do any of those nasty things the internet tough guys on the 41 talk about doing but who in their right mind overlaps wheels with somebody they don't know... at all. I finally dropped him at the SGRT detour, or he went a different direction, I don't know.
    I thought you would like this...on my group ride yesterday I had an 18 year old on my wheel that kept asking me if I could go any faster and would never take a pull. I finally just stopped and let her go on. The folly of youth lol

  18. #18
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Merlin Road, Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    7,450
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vntgdrms View Post
    I had an 18 year old on my wheel that kept asking me if I could go any faster
    Oh, the thoughts that must run through your head at such a time...

  19. #19
    Senior Member eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,400
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vntgdrms View Post
    I thought you would like this...on my group ride yesterday I had an 18 year old on my wheel that kept asking me if I could go any faster and would never take a pull. I finally just stopped and let her go on. The folly of youth lol
    Age and trickery will always beat youth and agility. You should let her pass and then Cinzano her. Ask TH, he knows all about it!
    My current stable:

    1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

  20. #20
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Merlin Road, Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    7,450
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly I no longer ride with a frame pump. Trying to wedge a CO2 bottle in there is just too hard on the fingers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •