Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    internettubes engineer st3venb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Az.
    My Bikes
    2012 Felt Z85
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Any other clydes / athenas going to do the El Tour de Tucson tomorrow?

    Friend and I are doing the 113 mile route; anyone else doing the ride tomorrow?

    Is that all you've got?
    mrclydesdale.com :: my blog!

  2. #2
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wish I was!... I did it back in 98 also the Casa Grande Metric in 05. I really like the AZ rides, they seem to have a different and better attitude about organized rides over there. I also did The Amtrak and Solvang back in 98 along with El Tour and El Tour blew them away!

    I have to go back out there someday.

  3. #3
    Senior Member TJClay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Costa Mesa, Ca.
    My Bikes
    Domane Project One, 6 series, Ui2
    Posts
    396
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i went last year and wish i could make it back this year. Maybe we need to plan a So Cal car pool, convoy there next year.....
    ttp://pedalmybike.com/userTrackies/myTrackie3491.jpg[/img]

  4. #4
    internettubes engineer st3venb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Az.
    My Bikes
    2012 Felt Z85
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Wish I was!... I did it back in 98 also the Casa Grande Metric in 05. I really like the AZ rides, they seem to have a different and better attitude about organized rides over there. I also did The Amtrak and Solvang back in 98 along with El Tour and El Tour blew them away!

    I have to go back out there someday.
    Talking with one of my LBS guys I guess they've recently reversed the way the course went... made it less climbing... which makes me sad.. but it is what it is.

    Is that all you've got?
    mrclydesdale.com :: my blog!

  5. #5
    internettubes engineer st3venb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Az.
    My Bikes
    2012 Felt Z85
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJClay View Post
    i went last year and wish i could make it back this year. Maybe we need to plan a So Cal car pool, convoy there next year.....
    I totally wanna do the San Diego century in 2013!

    Is that all you've got?
    mrclydesdale.com :: my blog!

  6. #6
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by st3venb View Post
    Talking with one of my LBS guys I guess they've recently reversed the way the course went... made it less climbing... which makes me sad.. but it is what it is.
    The year I did it was before they switched directions so I did the climbing direction (if that's what they call climbing). I hadn't done much climbing at all back then, didn't know a thing about timed events either. I did the ride in a tank top, I rode alone, took my time, stopped and chatted with Gina on the roadside along the way (she drove the course for fun) so I wasted alot of time and still did a 6:29 time.

    If I had known about timed events, I probably would have tried for 6 hours (silver medal). Pretty easy course.

    I did the Casa Grande metric 62 miles in 3:10 while riding 2/3 of it solo. Till some dude insisted I work with him after losing his partner to a broken spoke. Only the first 100 rides in received medals so I wanted one.


    That is where this pic came from, Casa Grande 2005....I like AZ rides.


  7. #7
    Captain Big Ring tractorlegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Locked by the Door
    My Bikes
    The Black Knight
    Posts
    2,022
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by st3venb View Post
    Friend and I are doing the 113 mile route; anyone else doing the ride tomorrow?
    I used to live in Tucson (late 1970s - when they still had dinosaurs) and I used to ride in "The Mt. Lemmon Hill Climb". When I rode it started at about Speedway and Tanque Verde and was quite a climb. Tucson's great to ride a bike in - although it's been years and years
    **************************************************
    Tractorlegs no longer participates in Facebook, the Acoustic Guitar Forum, or bikeforums dot net. He can be reached at email mark@markstone.org, or at his website http://markstone.org. There's just too many miles to ride to be sitting at a computer . . .

  8. #8
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tractorlegs View Post
    I used to live in Tucson (late 1970s - when they still had dinosaurs) and I used to ride in "The Mt. Lemmon Hill Climb". When I rode it started at about Speedway and Tanque Verde and was quite a climb. Tucson's great to ride a bike in - although it's been years and years
    My parents moved to Tucson in 94'ish. They lived right off the 10 and Ina rd and off of Old Father Rd. There wasn't sqaut there and the drive out there was a lonely drive. By the time they moved back 10 years later, that area grew big time!

    Looking on Google maps, it's grown a lot more.

    Now my daughter now lives in Chandler. Making the drive is quite different from the drive back in 94. Lots of facilites off the 10 fwy. Well if I do go back for another El Tour, I'll have cheap lodging.

  9. #9
    Senior Member mkadam68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    30 minutes North-West of Los Angeles.
    My Bikes
    2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.
    Posts
    3,541
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wish I was. Finances got in the way this year.

    Done it 4-years in a row. 2 with my son. He'd like to crack the "platinum" section (I have no doubt he could). First year, knee pain got in the way. Last year, he double-flatted, and waited for me (I had lousy training coming into it). My platinum status runs out this year, so next year, I'll have to renew it (good for 3 years) with him.

    Impressive ride.

    Visit The C-Blog : the blog about cycling.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Homeyba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Coast, California
    My Bikes
    Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light
    Posts
    3,370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkadam68 View Post
    ...Done it 4-years in a row. 2 with my son. He'd like to crack the "platinum" section (I have no doubt he could). First year, knee pain got in the way. Last year, he double-flatted, and waited for me (I had lousy training coming into it). My platinum status runs out this year, so next year, I'll have to renew it (good for 3 years) with him.
    ...
    I was going to do it this year on the tandem but things didn't work out. Hopefully next year. Platinum is the only way to go. If you go in the slower groups there's too many people to be able to ride through the washes. Plus the sand gets deeper and softer the more people go through it.
    It doesn't get harder, you just go slower.

  11. #11
    Starting over CraigB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Posts
    4,081
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to, but it's a bit of a haul from central Indiana. I have a cousin who moved to that area recently. She grew up in Prescott and then moved back to the midwest and couldn't wait to return. She keeps telling me I need to come out and do this ride. Maybe someday. In the meantime I told her she should train for it herself.
    Craig in Indy

  12. #12
    Senior Member epiking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    '86 Miyata 1000, '85 Raleigh Elkhorn (retired), 2000 Specializer HardRock
    Posts
    90
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a recreational ride last October in the Catalina Highway/Tanque Verde area. It was really nice compared to the urban area riding I normally do in Phoenix. I can see why it is a popular event. It is on my goal list...
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn
    1986 Miyata 1000
    2000 Specialized HardRock

  13. #13
    Captain Big Ring tractorlegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Locked by the Door
    My Bikes
    The Black Knight
    Posts
    2,022
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking about when I used to ride around Tucson, and it occurs to me that we have it great riding here in the Southwest - Tucson and Pheonix are both great cycling cities, and my current city El Paso is a little less "bike conscious" but still a wonderful city to ride in. The weather is great too. Snow is rare, it doesn't get very cold in the winter. Negatives are the summer heat and the springtime winds, but overall it's a great area to ride.
    **************************************************
    Tractorlegs no longer participates in Facebook, the Acoustic Guitar Forum, or bikeforums dot net. He can be reached at email mark@markstone.org, or at his website http://markstone.org. There's just too many miles to ride to be sitting at a computer . . .

  14. #14
    internettubes engineer st3venb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Az.
    My Bikes
    2012 Felt Z85
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finished! My Garmin time was 8:25, my overall time was 10:15... I had horrible and pretty debilitating cramps at about mile 90... I drank 6L of water, and 6L of electrolytes... along with a few bananas, etc.

    I managed to finish in enough time to get a bronze... My next year goal is silver.

    Is that all you've got?
    mrclydesdale.com :: my blog!

  15. #15
    Senior Member mkadam68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    30 minutes North-West of Los Angeles.
    My Bikes
    2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.
    Posts
    3,541
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by st3venb View Post
    I finished! My Garmin time was 8:25, my overall time was 10:15... I had horrible and pretty debilitating cramps at about mile 90... I drank 6L of water, and 6L of electrolytes... along with a few bananas, etc.

    I managed to finish in enough time to get a bronze... My next year goal is silver.
    Congratulations! What was the weather like? We had a spot of rain here in SoCal so I was wondering if it made it to Tucson yet.

    Visit The C-Blog : the blog about cycling.

  16. #16
    internettubes engineer st3venb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Az.
    My Bikes
    2012 Felt Z85
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkadam68 View Post
    Congratulations! What was the weather like? We had a spot of rain here in SoCal so I was wondering if it made it to Tucson yet.
    We got precisely 12 drops of rain.

    Thank you.

    Is that all you've got?
    mrclydesdale.com :: my blog!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •