Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-18-12, 10:14 AM   #1
puckpack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help choosing a bike to pursue

Hi,

I know this has been posted over and over again. I also know that nothing can beat test riding any potential bikes which I plan on doing but I was hoping someone with similar dimensions could give feedback on their experiences.

I am planning on buying a road bike over the winter and have the following options. The two best lbs near me, one carries Trek and the other carries Specialized. A third lbs carries Felt and Giant but they or more hit and miss. Not any Cannondale dealers near me. I am narrowing in on Allez/Secteur and Trek 2.1/Madone or Domane. All of them would be alloy.

I rode in the past and I want something that I can ride 30-100 miles at a time. It is fairly flat in my area. I currently weigh 270 pounds and am hoping to work on that with a new steed. I entered my measurements online and had the following spit out to me. What geometry would best suit my measurements? I am have a long torso and want to narrow my search a bit before I hit the lbs.

Measurements
-------------------------------------------
Inseam: 78.74
Trunk: 69.85
Forearm: 27.94
Arm: 68.96
Thigh: 30.22
Lower Leg: 53
Sternal Notch: 147.96
Total Body Height: 177.8


The Competitive Fit (cm)
-------------------------------------------
Seat tube range c-c: 51.0 - 51.5
Seat tube range c-t: 52.6 - 53.1
Top tube length: 74.3 - 74.7
Stem Length: 10.8 - 11.4
BB-Saddle Position: 136.5 - 138.5
Saddle-Handlebar: 51.5 - 52.1
Saddle Setback: -7.7 - -7.3


The Eddy Fit (cm)
-------------------------------------------
Seat tube range c-c: 52.2 - 52.7
Seat tube range c-t: 53.8 - 54.3
Top tube length: 74.3 - 74.7
Stem Length: 9.7 - 10.3
BB-Saddle Position: 135.7 - 137.7
Saddle-Handlebar: 52.3 - 52.9
Saddle Setback: -6.5 - -6.1


The French Fit (cm)
-------------------------------------------
Seat tube range c-c: 53.9 - 54.4
Seat tube range c-t: 55.5 - 56.0
Top tube length: 75.5 - 75.9
Stem Length: 9.9 - 10.5
BB-Saddle Position: 134.0 - 136.0
Saddle-Handlebar: 54.0 - 54.6
Saddle Setback: -7.0 - -6.6

Any advice would be appreciated!! I love this group of riders, all very helpful!
puckpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 11:33 AM   #2
Black wallnut 
Senior Member
 
Black wallnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ellensburg,WA
Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux
Posts: 2,820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
On the Specialized side the Secteur will provide a more upright ride while the Allez will be more aero. Do you have the flexibility to ride an aggressive bike for 30-100 miles at a time?
__________________
Sir Mark, Knight of Sufferlandria
Black wallnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 11:55 AM   #3
puckpack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black wallnut View Post
On the Specialized side the Secteur will provide a more upright ride while the Allez will be more aero. Do you have the flexibility to ride an aggressive bike for 30-100 miles at a time?

That is a good question. I am definitely out of shape but am somewhat flexible. Unfortunately, I am on borrowed time for riding outside in Minnesota. I won't have much of a chance to test ride outside before the snow. I am hoping that I can get a feel while on a trainer but am unsure how accurate that will be.
puckpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 12:22 PM   #4
BigJeff
Senior Member
 
BigJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Bikes:
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you measuring right?

I'm looking a those numbers and something seems REALLY wrong.

75cm Top Tube for a person under 6 feet tall?!

Measure twice.
BigJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 12:27 PM   #5
puckpack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will try it again, thanks.

I know a few years ago when I was looking at the Bianchi I had for a bit, they put me on a 59cm after measuring me. It never felt right though...
puckpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 12:30 PM   #6
bigfred 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NZ
Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1
Posts: 3,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is something amiss with the fit numbers. The top tube and bb-saddle dimensions are unrealistic. The top tube may have something to do with your arm length. It appears as though you have quite long arms realative to your legs. I would recommend a careful remeasure and entering your numbers into a couple of the other online fit calculators for comparison.

Given your current physical condition I would suggest leaning toward the secteur or domane. If I were to go shopping for a production frame right now it would either be a Roubaix or H2 Madone or Domane.
__________________
Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.
bigfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 01:30 PM   #7
puckpack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried the measurements again... Does this look more plausible? I am beginning to think I am a very misshaped human being!

Measurements
-------------------------------------------
Inseam: 29.5
Trunk: 28
Forearm: 14.5
Arm: 28
Thigh: 19.5
Lower Leg: 22
Sternal Notch: 59
Total Body Height: 70.5


The Competitive Fit (cm)
-------------------------------------------
Seat tube range c-c: 48.5 - 49.0
Seat tube range c-t: 50.0 - 50.5
Top tube length: 62.7 - 63.1
Stem Length: 12.2 - 12.8
BB-Saddle Position: 82.8 - 84.8
Saddle-Handlebar: 56.7 - 57.3
Saddle Setback: -1.9 - -1.5


The Eddy Fit (cm)
-------------------------------------------
Seat tube range c-c: 49.7 - 50.2
Seat tube range c-t: 51.2 - 51.7
Top tube length: 62.7 - 63.1
Stem Length: 11.1 - 11.7
BB-Saddle Position: 82.0 - 84.0
Saddle-Handlebar: 57.5 - 58.1
Saddle Setback: -0.7 - -0.3


The French Fit (cm)
-------------------------------------------
Seat tube range c-c: 51.4 - 51.9
Seat tube range c-t: 52.9 - 53.4
Top tube length: 63.9 - 64.3
Stem Length: 11.3 - 11.9
BB-Saddle Position: 80.3 - 82.3
Saddle-Handlebar: 59.2 - 59.8
Saddle Setback: -1.2 - -0.8
puckpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 01:39 PM   #8
Bikehog
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckpack View Post
Hi,

I know this has been posted over and over again. I also know that nothing can beat test riding any potential bikes which I plan on doing but I was hoping someone with similar dimensions could give feedback on their experiences.

I am planning on buying a road bike over the winter and have the following options. The two best lbs near me, one carries Trek and the other carries Specialized. A third lbs carries Felt and Giant but they or more hit and miss. Not any Cannondale dealers near me. I am narrowing in on Allez/Secteur and Trek 2.1/Madone or Domane. All of them would be alloy.

I rode in the past and I want something that I can ride 30-100 miles at a time. It is fairly flat in my area. I currently weigh 270 pounds and am hoping to work on that with a new steed. I entered my measurements online and had the following spit out to me. What geometry would best suit my measurements? I am have a long torso and want to narrow my search a bit before I hit the lbs.

Measurements
-------------------------------------------
Inseam: 78.74
Trunk: 69.85
Forearm: 27.94
Arm: 68.96
Thigh: 30.22
Lower Leg: 53
Sternal Notch: 147.96
Total Body Height: 177.8


The Competitive Fit (cm)
-------------------------------------------
Seat tube range c-c: 51.0 - 51.5
Seat tube range c-t: 52.6 - 53.1
Top tube length: 74.3 - 74.7
Stem Length: 10.8 - 11.4
BB-Saddle Position: 136.5 - 138.5
Saddle-Handlebar: 51.5 - 52.1
Saddle Setback: -7.7 - -7.3


The Eddy Fit (cm)
-------------------------------------------
Seat tube range c-c: 52.2 - 52.7
Seat tube range c-t: 53.8 - 54.3
Top tube length: 74.3 - 74.7
Stem Length: 9.7 - 10.3
BB-Saddle Position: 135.7 - 137.7
Saddle-Handlebar: 52.3 - 52.9
Saddle Setback: -6.5 - -6.1


The French Fit (cm)
-------------------------------------------
Seat tube range c-c: 53.9 - 54.4
Seat tube range c-t: 55.5 - 56.0
Top tube length: 75.5 - 75.9
Stem Length: 9.9 - 10.5
BB-Saddle Position: 134.0 - 136.0
Saddle-Handlebar: 54.0 - 54.6
Saddle Setback: -7.0 - -6.6

Any advice would be appreciated!! I love this group of riders, all very helpful!
Your fit measurements are not in alignment with your measurements. If your measurements, are correct, you about 5' 10" with with a 78.7 cm inseam. Those are almost exactly my measurements, and ourweight is also almost the same.. The issue is that you have short legs with a long torso. You will want a top tube length of 55 cm. Many bikes with that TT size , will have standover height that may be too tall for your legs. Best bet is to go to LBS and see ones feel most comfortable. A more aggressive bike would have a shorter top tube, and shorter standover height. A good fitter should be available to get you comfortable on either size by adjusting the stem. I went with Kestrel Talon 55 cm . The top of the handle bars are just a tad below the seat, the reach is perfect, and I' m also very comfortable in the drops. My crotch is right against the top tube when standing . That does't bother me. I'm good for 35-40 miles - still getting into shape, not quite ready for longer rides
Bikehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 01:42 PM   #9
puckpack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Bikehog, that is very helpful.

I plan on spending some time and probably money making sure I am fit correctly.
puckpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 02:19 PM   #10
bigfred 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NZ
Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1
Posts: 3,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckpack View Post
I tried the measurements again... Does this look more plausible? I am beginning to think I am a very misshaped human being!

Measurements
-------------------------------------------
Inseam: 29.5
Trunk: 28
Forearm: 14.5
Arm: 28
Thigh: 19.5
Lower Leg: 22
Sternal Notch: 59
Total Body Height: 70.5


The Competitive Fit (cm)
-------------------------------------------
Seat tube range c-c: 48.5 - 49.0
Seat tube range c-t: 50.0 - 50.5
Top tube length: 62.7 - 63.1
Stem Length: 12.2 - 12.8
BB-Saddle Position: 82.8 - 84.8
Saddle-Handlebar: 56.7 - 57.3
Saddle Setback: -1.9 - -1.5


The Eddy Fit (cm)
-------------------------------------------
Seat tube range c-c: 49.7 - 50.2
Seat tube range c-t: 51.2 - 51.7
Top tube length: 62.7 - 63.1
Stem Length: 11.1 - 11.7
BB-Saddle Position: 82.0 - 84.0
Saddle-Handlebar: 57.5 - 58.1
Saddle Setback: -0.7 - -0.3


The French Fit (cm)
-------------------------------------------
Seat tube range c-c: 51.4 - 51.9
Seat tube range c-t: 52.9 - 53.4
Top tube length: 63.9 - 64.3
Stem Length: 11.3 - 11.9
BB-Saddle Position: 80.3 - 82.3
Saddle-Handlebar: 59.2 - 59.8
Saddle Setback: -1.2 - -0.8

Those numbers looker "closer". But, they're still in the outlier category. I'm hessitent to comment further without actually seeing you and how the measurements are being taken. My best recommendation is to find a good and experienced fitter. You may very well prove to be a challenging fit. And, don't think about yourself as misshapened. There are plenty of us with out of the ordinary proportions. Just because we pose certain fit challenges doesn't mean we can't really enjoy or excell at cycling. Look at Leonard Zinn. I've also had a friend who was within 1" of my height, but, we could not physically ride each others bikes. He's the taller and all arms and legs with no torso. I'm the shorter with closer to normal proportions, but, a lot of length in my neck and head and arms that aren't nearly as long as my legs. Our saddle heights weren't dissimiliar, but, our setback and effective reach were miles apart. So much so that I couldn't even reach his bars and my bike would have his elbows and knees well overlapped.
__________________
Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.
bigfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 03:09 PM   #11
brawlo
Senior Member
 
brawlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Bike fit is always a great unknown and the suggestions for finding a good fitter are very pertinent for you. From what's here, I would guess you'd be suited to the relaxed geometry frames. They can give you a decent TT length to cope with your long arms/torso and will give you the best compromise for standover and saddle height. From what you say and as mentioned above, standover height may be a real problem for you on any standard geo frame.
brawlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 03:29 PM   #12
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 19,654
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Old Guy, at this for a while.. basics , for non Pro,[ don't go OCD on this,]
stand over for size, stem change for reach .
Long torso, ? you get a longer top tube with a bigger frame.
then adjust that further with stem choice.

if the bike comes with low spoke count wheels get the Shop
to give you a take off credit
towards something more traditional like a 36r/32f spoke3x pair.

the Aluminum Domane seems a interesting design.
that elastomer fitting at the seat/toptube join
should take out some of the rigidity,
Aluminum as a material requires.

modest priced in comparison with the Carbon ones.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-18-12 at 03:46 PM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 03:59 PM   #13
bigfred 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NZ
Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1
Posts: 3,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Old Guy, at this for a while.. basics , for non Pro,[ don't go OCD on this,]
stand over for size, stem change for reach .
Long torso, ? you get a longer top tube with a bigger frame.
then adjust that further with stem choice.
.
Therein seems to lie the challenge in this case. If his number are correct, he's all torso and arms. Granted the fit calculators aren't perfect. They are designed for folks that fall within the normal bell curve. In this case, the rider appears to fall outside the normal distribution, and, some of our rules of thumb may not apply. Look at the recommended TT and stem lengths. Those sort of lengths aren't available even on 64cm frames (which would be way to tall for him). On a frame that he can stand over, the TT is going to be too short to make fit, even with a 140mm stem.
__________________
Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.
bigfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 05:20 PM   #14
Bill Kapaun
Senior Member
 
Bill Kapaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
Bikes: 86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
Posts: 9,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I'd get a used bike off CL and ride it for awhile. That will give you a better idea of what you really want.
Then, you can get your new bike and sell your old one (or keep it for a spare).
Bill Kapaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 07:45 PM   #15
lsberrios1 
Senior Member
 
lsberrios1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta GA
Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert
Posts: 2,476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
If the secteur is anything like the roubaix I own you cant go wrong!!! Good luck
__________________
Cat 6 going on PRO....
lsberrios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 08:49 PM   #16
puckpack
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for all of the suggestions. It reinforces what I was thinking, the Secteur and Domane might fit my needs. Whichever route I go, I am interested to see what size bike fits me best. I will leave it to the fitter and how it feels when I ride.

Thanks again!
puckpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:07 PM.