Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    My bike related Christmas Shopping is done...for myself ha ha!

    Well as far as bike stuff! Some stuff I did not want but Gina pretty much twisted my arm to get 'em.

    New handlebars for the tandem (wanted wide bars)
    new stem
    new tape

    New GoProHero2 outdoor pkg. Gina's been twisting my arm to try one.

    32 gb card
    Giro Ionos helmet, again Gina twisting my arm.
    10 speed chain
    10 speed Ultegra cassette
    2 pair tights, again arm twisting
    4 Scorpion stinger wafer thingies

    Handbuilt front wheel Ultegra hub/ Fusion rim for me.

    Handuilt front wheel DuraAce hub/ Fusion rim for Gina (hand built by my buddy at his shop).

    A pink cool pix camera S01 for Gina.

    A silver cool pic for me too. Again, Gina twisting my arm. I don't need it, she just thought I should have another smaller camera to try on the bike.

    I love a good fun Saturday shopping for bike stuff. Some stuff was pre ordred (wheels and hb's)but delivered today.



    bikestuff1 by gulpxtreme, on Flickr




    hbars1 by gulpxtreme, on Flickr

  2. #2
    Grouch Deaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bucks County, PA
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very Cool Stuff
    Hope your twisted arms heal quickly so you can use it all

  3. #3
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaver View Post
    Very Cool Stuff
    Hope your twisted arms heal quickly so you can use it all
    ......

  4. #4
    Senior Member rdtompki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hollister, CA
    My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Posts
    3,963
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coll stuff! My early Christmas present is a Panasonic Lumix DS4 camera - semi rugged (2M drop) and waterproof to 12M. I have no intention of cycling underwater, but I wanted something that I didn't have to baby. The camera will take 1080p video; don't know that I'll use that too much, but the 64GB card will hold .5 zillion still pictures!
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

  5. #5
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    Coll stuff! My early Christmas present is a Panasonic Lumix DS4 camera - semi rugged (2M drop) and waterproof to 12M. I have no intention of cycling underwater, but I wanted something that I didn't have to baby. The camera will take 1080p video; don't know that I'll use that too much, but the 64GB card will hold .5 zillion still pictures!
    Cool! I too am happy about the water protection of the gopro. Maybe some rain rides coming up.

    64 gb? ....I thought I was doing good with the 32.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Mi11er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Independence, Mo
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very Nice!

  7. #7
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mi11er View Post
    Very Nice!
    It's fun buying but the last couple of hours has beenwork, swapping tires, tubes, wheels, reading instruction manuals, setting up cameras, chargers, having even gotten to the GoPro yet.

    Now she's thinking of getting a tree, probably a wet one since it's been rain here.

    Kidding, it's all good!

  8. #8
    Senior Member ahultin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bonsall, Ca
    My Bikes
    2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2
    Posts
    436
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Haul!
    I could have sworn you ran 9 speed on your bikes?

  9. #9
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahultin View Post
    Nice Haul!
    I could have sworn you ran 9 speed on your bikes?
    Yup, the cassette and chain are for Ginas bike, she's running 10...she's always a step ahead of me.

  10. #10
    got the climbing bug jsigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    one for everything
    Posts
    7,095
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice haul but any reason why you didn't get the latest gopro3?

  11. #11
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
    very nice haul but any reason why you didn't get the latest gopro3?
    We were walking thru Costco and saw them on sale, $190 for the pack with all the mounts etc (outdoor package). I noticed there was a GP3 at another shop, same price so I figured there was not much difference ($250). Heck I'm using a flip so the GP2 is still a step up.

  12. #12
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    8,038
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're at Costco?! (be right back, LOL)

    I recently ordered a Canon S100 (Amazon had 'em on super sale and I needed a new P+S), some knee warmers, a long sleeve jersey, a chain, a torque wrench, a bike computer for my son and I requested a truing stand for xmas from my wife. The kid's wheels are starting to get wobbly and I want to build up a new set of rims on my old ultegra hubs. It should keep me out of trouble for a while.

    Oh, and I need to finish shingling my backyard shed tomorrow, which will be where the bikes go. Hopefully the rain will let up a bit. They currently live in the hallway and I'm getting dirty looks from the Central Committee.

    I like those stinger waffle things... they're nice and light tasting, which makes for easier eating on the road. They're a bit frail compared to say, a clif bar though.

  13. #13
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow, I'm not the only one having Christmas fun.

    Yeah, the Stinger waffles are good but I haven't really tested them on a long ride. Gina likes them cause she has trouble swallowing the thicker stuff.

  14. #14
    Climbers Apprentice vesteroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,496
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a week long trip this year on the JMT. We (the wife and I) both took stinger waffles with us. I took two per day. They are awesome. I have never found a food I like more that is as packable, and light weight for the amount of calories.

    Love them.

  15. #15
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    8,038
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, they're half as caloric as clif bars but crazy delicious, so I reckon if you wanted to only eat those on a long ride you'd need quite a few of them. And of course, they have a tendency to crumble. I order 'em by the box from Amazon. I bought a couple pouches of perpetuum that i need to try one of these days too.

  16. #16
    Not safe for work cyclokitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0
    Posts
    2,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta love giving yourselves Christmas presents . You always get what you want and no tins of horrible Christmas fruit cake - big plus.

    I've been sucked into the GoPro Hero 2 accessories hole and bought on Cyber Monday the chest harness and a tripod mount. I'm on the lookout for a cheap kids skateboard to mount the GoPro Hero 2 on to follow the cat around. Although it did work pretty well when I sat my helmet on the ground but I'd rather not scrape the ground with my helmet.


  17. #17
    Climbers Apprentice vesteroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,496
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
    Yeah, they're half as caloric as clif bars but crazy delicious, so I reckon if you wanted to only eat those on a long ride you'd need quite a few of them. And of course, they have a tendency to crumble. I order 'em by the box from Amazon. I bought a couple pouches of perpetuum that i need to try one of these days too.

    oddly enough thats my other favorite. carried 4 servings a day on my hike. Best food I have ever found for long duration exercise.

  18. #18
    Banned. Mr. Beanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upland Ca
    My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Posts
    20,031
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclokitty View Post
    Gotta love giving yourselves Christmas presents . You always get what you want and no tins of horrible Christmas fruit cake - big plus.

    I've been sucked into the GoPro Hero 2 accessories hole and bought on Cyber Monday the chest harness and a tripod mount. I'm on the lookout for a cheap kids skateboard to mount the GoPro Hero 2 on to follow the cat around. Although it did work pretty well when I sat my helmet on the ground but I'd rather not scrape the ground with my helmet.
    Oh yeah, no fruit cake! ............Won't be long till I too will be looking for ways to rig the GoPro.

  19. #19
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    8,038
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vesteroid View Post
    oddly enough thats my other favorite. carried 4 servings a day on my hike. Best food I have ever found for long duration exercise.
    Yep, me too but I can get a little Clif barred out on a long day.

    Alright cyclokitty - I just squished that *#@&^#$ bug on my monitor. !!!

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Hero2 is a fun little toy, but I wanted to give you a heads-up to avoid the v198 firmware "ProTune" update, as well as give you another couple of tips for improved audio.

    Numerous users have reported issues with the v198 firmware update, such as freezing, the camera recording for only a few seconds at a time with a known good 32 GB or 16 GB Class 10 card, and crappy sounding audio.

    I made the mistake of upgrading my Hero2 to the latest firmware without researching it first, and it reduced the audio sampling rate from 48 kHz to 32 kHz, which caused so much aliasing in the audio that the sound quality was terrible.

    There was always a little bit of aliasing in the audio even at the original 48 kHz sampling rate, but it was tolerable.

    Luckily I was able to find a video explaining how to downgrade to the previous firmware version. There is a link to the firmware on GoPro's website in the video description. The previous firmware version is v124. The current version is v198. Both versions enable WiFi BacPac functionality.

    Here is the link to the how-to video for downgrading the firmware, in case you or anyone you know has upgraded to the buggy ProTune firmware version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N7fcdr9CBY. Read the comments on that video from the many users who experienced major issues with the ProTune update.

    I made a video with clips from the v198 firmware and the previous v124 version, which is what I reverted to. You can definitely hear the difference in sound quality. It is not heavy breathing and hill climbing. It's flatter and downhill sections with cars driving by, which gives the best comparison of sound quality. The aliasing noise is especially noticeable with certain engines in passing cars.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asKMICiksjQ


    Also, if you're not planning on doing a rain ride, install the provided non-waterproof door (the one with the two long holes in it). It will let in normal sounds, whereas the waterproof door will block all but the loudest sounds. The waterproof door will also cause a lot of rumbling noise when the camera is mounted on the bike.

    You will get the best audio quality if you mount the camera on your helmet with the vented helmet mount, or your chest using the "Chesty" chest strap mount.

    Finally, if you get a new computer with Windows 8 like I just did (new Lenovo laptop), and/or install Windows Live Movie Maker 2012, don't render your final movie as a .mp4. Render it as a .wmv instead. Audio on the .mp4 test movie from my Kodak Playsport Zx5 (which records in .mp4 format like the GoPro) was a little choppy when the final movie was rendered in .mp4 format. It was fine as a .wmv.

  21. #21
    "Fred"--is that bad? DTSCDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    214 Represent!
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)
    Posts
    458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MOV and WMV are less compressed formats than MP4. Less compression is your friend. It makes for larger files if that is a concern, but you will have noticeably higher quality.
    If you can change the format on the GoPro, record in MOV format instead of the MP4 to give yourself the highest quality to work with from the get-go.
    The meek shall inherit the earth (If that's okay with the rest of you.)
    “Many of us spend half our time wishing for things we could have if we didn’t spend half our time wishing.”Alexander Woolcot
    Schwinn Super Sport (86)
    Trek 7.3FX (07)
    Trek T200 Tandem (Until I sell it!)

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,636
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DTSCDS View Post
    If you can change the format on the GoPro, record in MOV format instead of the MP4 to give yourself the highest quality to work with from the get-go.
    You can't, unfortunately, but .mp4 files are pretty high quality so no worries. My ContourHD and ContourGPS record in .mov format, but the quality is inferior to my GoPro's .mp4 files even though I set the Contours to record at the highest quality bitrate setting.

  23. #23
    Senior Member magohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    1,504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freighttraininguphill View Post
    The Hero2 is a fun little toy, but I wanted to give you a heads-up to avoid the v198 firmware "ProTune" update, as well as give you another couple of tips for improved audio.

    Numerous users have reported issues with the v198 firmware update, such as freezing, the camera recording for only a few seconds at a time with a known good 32 GB or 16 GB Class 10 card, and crappy sounding audio.

    I made the mistake of upgrading my Hero2 to the latest firmware without researching it first, and it reduced the audio sampling rate from 48 kHz to 32 kHz, which caused so much aliasing in the audio that the sound quality was terrible.

    There was always a little bit of aliasing in the audio even at the original 48 kHz sampling rate, but it was tolerable.

    Luckily I was able to find a video explaining how to downgrade to the previous firmware version. There is a link to the firmware on GoPro's website in the video description. The previous firmware version is v124. The current version is v198. Both versions enable WiFi BacPac functionality.

    Here is the link to the how-to video for downgrading the firmware, in case you or anyone you know has upgraded to the buggy ProTune firmware version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N7fcdr9CBY. Read the comments on that video from the many users who experienced major issues with the ProTune update.

    I made a video with clips from the v198 firmware and the previous v124 version, which is what I reverted to. You can definitely hear the difference in sound quality. It is not heavy breathing and hill climbing. It's flatter and downhill sections with cars driving by, which gives the best comparison of sound quality. The aliasing noise is especially noticeable with certain engines in passing cars.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asKMICiksjQ


    Also, if you're not planning on doing a rain ride, install the provided non-waterproof door (the one with the two long holes in it). It will let in normal sounds, whereas the waterproof door will block all but the loudest sounds. The waterproof door will also cause a lot of rumbling noise when the camera is mounted on the bike.

    You will get the best audio quality if you mount the camera on your helmet with the vented helmet mount, or your chest using the "Chesty" chest strap mount.

    Finally, if you get a new computer with Windows 8 like I just did (new Lenovo laptop), and/or install Windows Live Movie Maker 2012, don't render your final movie as a .mp4. Render it as a .wmv instead. Audio on the .mp4 test movie from my Kodak Playsport Zx5 (which records in .mp4 format like the GoPro) was a little choppy when the final movie was rendered in .mp4 format. It was fine as a .wmv.
    Great info that will save somebody a lot of heartache

  24. #24
    A Mountaineering thing Hillbasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Under Mt Baldy in Glendora,California
    My Bikes
    4 Road 2 Mtn
    Posts
    848
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Well as far as bike stuff! Some stuff I did not want but Gina pretty much twisted my arm to get 'em.

    New handlebars for the tandem (wanted wide bars)
    new stem
    new tape

    New GoProHero2 outdoor pkg. Gina's been twisting my arm to try one.

    32 gb card
    Giro Ionos helmet, again Gina twisting my arm.
    10 speed chain
    10 speed Ultegra cassette
    2 pair tights, again arm twisting
    4 Scorpion stinger wafer thingies

    Handbuilt front wheel Ultegra hub/ Fusion rim for me.

    Handuilt front wheel DuraAce hub/ Fusion rim for Gina (hand built by my buddy at his shop).

    A pink cool pix camera S01 for Gina.

    A silver cool pic for me too. Again, Gina twisting my arm. I don't need it, she just thought I should have another smaller camera to try on the bike.

    I love a good fun Saturday shopping for bike stuff. Some stuff was pre ordred (wheels and hb's)but delivered today.



    bikestuff1 by gulpxtreme, on Flickr




    hbars1 by gulpxtreme, on Flickr
    I don't see any mention of my gift. What is up with that? LOL

  25. #25
    Senior Member tergal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Logan, QLD ,Australia
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300
    Posts
    788
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pift and all i got was a new Tubes, and a Dyna peak bag thingy ... oh and new frame pump.

    I feel ripped off "be right back i need to have a word with Santa "
    Tact is for people who aren’t witty enough to use sarcasm.

    Early helplessness is the price we pay for later brilliance. Or, at least our later capacity for non-idiocy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •