C/A Goals for 2013!
It's December and the old year is ready to end! I'm interested in hearing individual goals that are being set for 2013 from my friends here at C/A. I know everyone's thinking about it as the year is coming to a close! :)
I'll start: My goals:
- To reach my goal weight of 210 pounds by April 1. If I can manage to maintain current weight through the Holiday season, then that would mean an attainable 1-1/2 pounds per week weight loss during January-February-March to get to goal. :thumb:
- My second goal is to ride 2,400 miles in 2013. Many of you probably will quadruple that without thinking (and I used to do much more than that when I was younger - I'll be turning 60 in 2013), but for me right now it's a lofty goal! That would be 200 miles per month average.
Has anybody else thought about their cycling/weight goals for next year yet?
I managed just over 10000km this year so my goal will be 11000km.
Good thread! My goals for 2012 were:
I did a decent job with these goals. My weight actually went down to 102 which is about ideal. But it crept up again and now I am at the 112. I should be closer to 102 and will work on that this year. I did the 57 mile ride. I did the 100k. I did a multi day ride but not with a group, but with my husband driving the motorhome to meet me. I slacked off on the strength exercises. I slacked off on calorie counting. I will work on those. The biggest failures are sweets, which led to regaining some weight, and the impulsive shopping. I have too much crap that I really don't need.
Originally Posted by goldfinch
My goal is to ride 4000 miles. This year I will have around 3500-3600. A 4000 mile goal isn't terribly aggressive but I plan to mountain bike a fair amount this summer and miles do not pile on with mountain biking. This winter I don't plan on mountain biking here in Florida.
Only one bike purchase for 2013.
I would like to do a group ride over several days.
Originally I thought I would do a century this year. I'm not sure I want to ride that far, especially as I am a slow rider.
I reached several of my goals for 2012 including:
- Riding a number of organized events including several centuries.
- I passed 3,200 total miles, double that of 2011
- Had good gains in endurance, strength and speed
- Built my first wheelset
- Rode in every month throughout the winter
My new goals include:
- Passing 3,500 total miles
- Doing a multi-day tour
- Getting to the front half of the pack on the B rides
- Improving my times in each of the organized events including the Tour de Cure, Headwaters 100, and Tour de Pines
- Dropping my last 50 pounds to my ideal weight (unfortunately a goal I did not achieve in 2012)
My 2013 goals:
Be down to 200lbs (I'm 240 now)
Get faster on the bike and be able to hang with the guys from work who have been riding for awhile.
Ride a local century in Sept.
Ride my bike.
Run more; enter one 10k+ race before the end of the year.
Find a swim club that offers a master's class.
Train for my first Sprint Tri. If training goes well, complete at least one Sprint.
Join a local Drinking Group with a Running Problem.
*Try to manage getting 2k miles in with a new born baby
*hit 200,000 vertical feet
*don't crash too hard
*ride a century....it's been a while since I've done that
*finish the 12 hrs of Temecula MTB race in June
*most important goal is to get faster on the bike
*learn to love my trainer...I won't have a option here w/ the baby
2,000 commuting miles
More grocery trips by bicycle than with my wife's car
Goals for 2013 :)
* Go from 200 lbs to 180.
* Do Six Gap century
* At least 1 Crit Race
* Ride 3500+ miles
* Average 20mph Club Rides.
2013 is modest:
- do some nutrition hacking to figure out what I can do to break this weight loss plateau
- ride a century, my only unfinished goal from 2012.
A less well defined goal is to increase my average spead from 25-26 km/hr to something more respectable so I can feel a bit more at home in group rides.
My goals are similar:
Originally Posted by Brando_T.
- Break my current plateau weight and drive well below 230lbs, ideally around 210ish.
- Ride (semi-supported) from my house to my parent's (120mi) in one day.
- Pace myself so that I don't burn out from training in July/Aug like I did this year, and still have the enthusiasm to do the Fall charity rides my coworkers always bug me about.
I didn't join this forum until March or April of last year. So I don't really have goals I set out to reach last year other than lose weight and ride more. I accomplished both of those vague goals.
I hope to be more concrete in my goal setting for 2013:
1. Lose 50 lbs
2. Ride 3000 miles
3. Complete 4 Centuries
The 2012 goal of riding the Taupo Challenge in less than 6 hours was convincingly achieved.
Another 2012 accomplishment that wasn't neccessarily declared as a goal was building my first wheel, and second and third and fourth,....
On the list for 2013:
Returnd to the Taupo Challenge and complete it in under 5 hours. To do that I need to:
Loose an additional 5-10 kg. Reaching a goal weight of 105-110kg.
Increase my 10minute power by not less than 10%. Which will require working on speed and strength.
Increase my muscular endurance at threshold to the point that I can ride 3+ hours at 90% of my max heart rate.
Have more sex!
ride more to improve chances of first three.
you guys have boring goals!
2012 was a pretty great year. Lots of miles (12k) and climbing (550k ft). Couple of centuries and rookie season of cyclocross racing in the books too.
2013 setting my sights on three double centuries, death ride again next July, and actually being competitive in cyclocross next fall. Also drop the last 20 lbs to hit my goal weight of 175 lbs.
45 more lbs to goal of 170.
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
My first century-Either the San Diego Century, ot the SD Tour de Cure.
Vesteroid you are my role model!
Originally Posted by vesteroid
It feels good not to just make a goal, but to kick its butt . . . "convincingly achieved", I like that! :thumb:
Originally Posted by bigfred
2012 goals of riding as much as possible and completing a century were met. I have ridden 2.5K miles since buying my first bike at the end of May. I also completed my first century.
My goals are certainly loftier in 2013 and are as follows.
1. Complete a sprint length triathlon
2. Complete the RAIN ride
3. A Century per month.
4 Lose the last 30 lbs and hit goal weight of 175. I'm currently plateaued at 202-204. I've seen 199 on the scale a couple of times, but that was post ride dry weight so it doesn't count. I figure that this part of the goal will take care of itself if I keep on keeping on.:thumb:
Edit: to add another goal 4,500 miles for 2013!
"We're not worthy! We're not worthy!"
Originally Posted by vesteroid
I'm formulating goals as I can. 2012 didn't turn out as I'd planned, or hoped.
In August, I'm supposed to ride the GAP and C & O with Bike Forums poster B.Alive.
Originally Posted by Neil_B
I'd also like to ride a century again. I last did one in 2007. Now that I have knees that work, its time to put them to work.
I need to get my weight down. I've ballooned during my protracted recovery from surgery. Its not flattering, the weight makes me lethargic, and added pounds can cause premature loosening of my joint replacements.
Originally Posted by vesteroid
What our esteemed colleague vesteroid does minus the drinking and sex plus:
Better the following by 10%
10 mile Dualthon bike course time
20 mile course time
CASA Century solo time
Complete the last 3/4 mile of the Garrett Co metric in less than 11 minutes.
I'm not sure I could put more miles or elevation gain in during a year unless I didn't have a job.
The number of hours I've spent on a bike this year was taxing enough.
1. Lose 20 lbs.
2. Do a three-day tour during Easter weekend.
3. Lead the ride I was leading last year when I crashed and fractured my collar bone, but this time without the crash.
4. Spend a week at the Italian Cycling Center and ride Monte Grappa while I am there.
5. Ride to my 30th high school reunion in western MA and flip the bird (in my mind, of course) to some of the guys I couldn't stand back then.
6. Lead another group on New Hope-Brooklyn.
7. Ride my 22nd consecutive MS 150 City-to-Shore.
8. Clear at least $20 million in the lottery and begin planing my ultimate cross-country tour for 2014.