Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-12, 12:31 AM   #1
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I Been A Bad Bad Boy!

But that can be a good thing sometimes! I got the Go Pro 2 back in early December, maybe the 2nd or so. Gina saw the Go Pro3 on sale at Target for $199.

Yeah, I'm bad but GUESS WHAT!

2 and 3






GoPro2&3 by gulpxtreme, on Flickr
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-12, 01:04 AM   #2
jsigone
got the climbing bug
 
jsigone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes: one for everything
Posts: 8,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
seat post mount the other one

I hope you got a big hard drive, you will be needed it!!
__________________
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
jsigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-12, 02:37 AM   #3
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
seat post mount the other one

I hope you got a big hard drive, you will be needed it!!
I plan to use one on the mount and one on a lanyard around my neck allowing me to pan. I actually take several short clips then piece them together to form my videos. I never run it for more than a minute. After I post my vids on yt, I delete them and don't save them.
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-12, 09:45 AM   #4
magohn
Senior Member
 
magohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Woodinville, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
But that can be a good thing sometimes! I got the Go Pro 2 back in early December, maybe the 2nd or so. Gina saw the Go Pro3 on sale at Target for $199.

Yeah, I'm bad but GUESS WHAT!

2 and 3






GoPro2&3 by gulpxtreme, on Flickr

Nice! Is that the one with Wifi? Looking forward to your vids in 2013.
magohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-12, 12:47 PM   #5
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,023
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
SO what's the difference between them? I saw that at Target yesterday and was briefly tempted but there's no point in doing videos of something that Beanz is videoing already.... it's like lining up against Tom Boonen for a 100 mile ride. The end is inevitable.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-12, 12:56 PM   #6
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magohn View Post
Nice! Is that the one with Wifi? Looking forward to your vids in 2013.
Yup, built in wifi. Of course the remote is optional but I think the remote that came with my GP2 may operate it. I'll have to look into it if ever I'm interested in operating it with a remote.
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-12, 01:00 PM   #7
magohn
Senior Member
 
magohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Woodinville, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
SO what's the difference between them? I saw that at Target yesterday and was briefly tempted but there's no point in doing videos of something that Beanz is videoing already.... it's like lining up against Tom Boonen for a 100 mile ride. The end is inevitable.
I 'think' the ver 3 allows you to transfer files via WiFi over your home network. That's cool as it does away with cables. I have last years GoPro and I love it except for the fact that it has no LCD viewfinder and only has a digital-watch type user-interface. All well and good, but Im constantly pulling out the guide book to look up what the cryptic symbols mean on the display. Example:

uPd = upside-down.

Makes sense but if you havent used the cam for a few weeks you forget - or I do at least. I believe thats much better in the later models.
magohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-12, 01:07 PM   #8
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
SO what's the difference between them? I saw that at Target yesterday and was briefly tempted but there's no point in doing videos of something that Beanz is videoing already.... it's like lining up against Tom Boonen for a 100 mile ride. The end is inevitable.

GP3 is much smaller flatter lens design on the waterproof case supposed to be better for underwater (not that I scuba dive ). GP3 White version has 5 mp pics and the GP2 has 11 mega pixel still shots (don't matter me, I use my point an shoot). GP3 uses a micro card GP2 uses standard . GP3 s'posed to have better sound, I watched vid comparisons on yoututbe and with my hearing, don't notice squat. I hear a difference but can't say one is better than the other.

I actually went back to Costco to look fo the package that I have looking for a second GP2 but all local Costcos are sold out. Seems thye are not available at any of the stores we checked out. No Best Buy either. The may have been phased out! But I'd have to look on line first but not worth the effort.

I will say the White version does not come with squat as far as accessories. One or two clips, 2 small adhesive mounts, that's it! No connector type thingies other than the one bolt to mount the case (has 2 backings), thank goodness I have them from the other bundle.

You should od some vids, you ride in different places and more on the road and you make lots of funny faces!
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-12, 01:12 PM   #9
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magohn View Post
I 'think' the ver 3 allows you to transfer files via WiFi over your home network. That's cool as it does away with cables. I have last years GoPro and I love it except for the fact that it has no LCD viewfinder and only has a digital-watch type user-interface. All well and good, but Im constantly pulling out the guide book to look up what the cryptic symbols mean on the display. Example:

uPd = upside-down.

Makes sense but if you havent used the cam for a few weeks you forget - or I do at least. I believe thats much better in the later models.
I've read on the reviews that wifi is slower loading while working via wifi (that's what I read in a review) but i don't plan to use it anyway, I don't mind cables, used to them with so many cameras in my stable now.

I've read that the GP series have a counter. I dont know what that means yet because I bought the worng size card (needs mini sd card) so I haven't been able to test or record/load anything yet.
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-12, 01:36 PM   #10
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,023
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
You should od some vids, you ride in different places and more on the road and you make lots of funny faces!
Why you....!!

I'm tempted, if only to provide a record when I inevitably get buzzed off the road. I mean, how many little white pickups are there out there?
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-12, 01:50 PM   #11
PhotoJoe
Just Plain Slow
 
PhotoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Bikes: Lynskey R230
Posts: 5,568
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
I mean, how many little white pickups are there out there?
I have a white pickup. So...what are you saying????

And if I had two, I would run off the seatpost aiming backwards when riding on the streets. Or, backwards on the trail so you can show any Cat 6 MUP racers sucking your wheel! On GMR rides, you could aim it backwards to get the entire pack in one shot....behind you! (I jest. I've ridden with you!)

Enjoy your toys!
__________________
If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not the sport for you!
PhotoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-12, 02:11 PM   #12
volosong 
Senior Member
 
volosong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Antelope Valley, SoCal
Bikes:
Posts: 2,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe View Post
I have a white pickup. So...what are you saying????

And if I had two, I would run off the seatpost aiming backwards when riding on the streets. Or, backwards on the trail so you can show any Cat 6 MUP racers sucking your wheel! On GMR rides, you could aim it backwards to get the entire pack in one shot....behind you! (I jest. I've ridden with you!)

Enjoy your toys!
Only thing I haven't figured out is how to mount to a seatpost and have the video either up or down. The only mounts I've seen would have a seatpost mounted GP sideways. What mount am I missing?
__________________
Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
- Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black
volosong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-12, 02:46 PM   #13
PhotoJoe
Just Plain Slow
 
PhotoJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Bikes: Lynskey R230
Posts: 5,568
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Only thing I haven't figured out is how to mount to a seatpost and have the video either up or down. The only mounts I've seen would have a seatpost mounted GP sideways. What mount am I missing?
Keep in mind that I don't have any cameras for riding, but Amazon has this:

http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Handleba.../dp/B0090A70JA
__________________
If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving is not the sport for you!
PhotoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-12, 02:53 PM   #14
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work
 
cyclokitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0
Posts: 2,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried buying a second GoPro yesterday but the stores were sold out of sale GoPro Hero 2 ($179!!). But I'm keeping an eye out for another sale because I want to wear one facing behind on my helmet and wear the other on the chesty mount.
__________________

cyclokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-12, 03:04 PM   #15
TrojanHorse 
SuperGimp
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Whittier, CA
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 11,023
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe View Post
I have a white pickup. So...what are you saying????
I think you should just give me your bike... it's prolly rusty.
__________________
"No self-respecting man rides 70 miles and has salad at a pizza joint!" - PhotoJoe
"I like SoCal a lot better than New Jersey" - RubeRad
TrojanHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-12, 04:07 PM   #16
volosong 
Senior Member
 
volosong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Antelope Valley, SoCal
Bikes:
Posts: 2,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe View Post
Keep in mind that I don't have any cameras for riding, but Amazon has this:

http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Handleba.../dp/B0090A70JA
It has been said that those are not reliably secure and some people have lost their cameras when they fail. I have one of those, but am scared to use it. The K-edge mount is pretty strong, but it's for the horizontal part of your bars.
__________________
Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
- Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black
volosong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-12, 05:18 PM   #17
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
It has been said that those are not reliably secure and some people have lost their cameras when they fail. I have one of those, but am scared to use it. The K-edge mount is pretty strong, but it's for the horizontal part of your bars.
I see this one but then you lose the seat pack

http://www.treefortbikes.com/product...FSTZQgodRmkA6w


I'm sure if you use the k edge and one or two of the black linkie thingies from the go pro mount, you can get it into correct view.
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-12, 05:33 PM   #18
Mr. Beanz
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Beanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Upland Ca
Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
Posts: 20,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now that I have had a chance to set up the GP3, one thing I'm not carzy about is that it does not allow you to program the POV like the GP2.

In 1080 I can set the POV to wide, medium, or narrow with the GP2,....not possible with the GP3 White.



............and the GP3 uses a micro card which cost $20 more than the standard in a class 10 32 gb card.

Best Buy micro card $75 Not available at Target.....almost another Hundy!
Mr. Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:35 PM.