Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-12, 01:47 PM   #1
magohn
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
magohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Woodinville, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, Mother Nature had other ideas...COLD ride report.

As we have had literally two weeks of heavy rain in the area imagine my delight when I awoke to see almost dry conditions this AM. It was a little cold (37 degrees) but I thought I'd give it a shot. I've been riding on the trainer for the last week so a little fresh air would do me good.

I set off full of hope but 15 mins into the ride the heavens opened up and we had a good old-fashioned snow-rain mix. Some other brave souls were out there too. We gave the all-knowing nod as we passed each other. The nod that says "we must be crazy in this weather":



After 5 miles of riding the MTB on the road, I finally reached the trail-head.



I was riding my Motobecane Fantom from Bikes Direct. I have to say that the bike is the best $799 I have ever spent on cycling. Its stong, relatively light, 30-speed (overkill-I know) and holds my weight like a champ. I bought the bike in the fall and have around 500 trouble-free miles on it. Highly recommended. However, I need to get a cadence dongle for my garmin becasue as soon as I enter the heavy woods, I lose GPS reception and the garmin thinks Ive stopped.



After 4-5 miles of riding the trails I headed home. That's when Mother Nature really threw the wrench in. It poured freezing rain for the 5 miles home and the descents were brutal. The cold felt like a migraine through the helmet vents - even with the skull-cap on.



A river runs through it - fun riding the rain rivers all the way home.



All in all, I rode 15 miles but it felt a lot farther due to the wide-tires and extra weight of the MTB bike. Lots of fun though.

I just thought I'd post my ride report as I've been lazy lately with posting pics etc. I always mean too but don't get around to it.

Perhaps my brief report will help in motivating people in these winter months

Last edited by magohn; 12-29-12 at 01:51 PM.
magohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-12, 01:50 PM   #2
longbeachgary
Senior Member
 
longbeachgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Beautiful Long Beach California
Bikes: Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL; 2012 CAAD10; 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 DI2, The Black Mambo
Posts: 3,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
good for you for not letting the weather get in the way of a great ride.
longbeachgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-12, 02:14 PM   #3
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling
 
Beachgrad05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood, CA
Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, 12 Trek 4.5 Madone, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace
Posts: 2,762
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Motivating me, that's for sure. Think ill gear up and get some miles in after all before I lose my nerve
Beachgrad05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-12, 02:30 PM   #4
magohn
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
magohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Woodinville, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks all

I just soaked in a hot bath - its the only thing that brings my 'core temperature' back to normal after a cold ride. Feel great again
magohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-12, 03:02 PM   #5
mprelaw
Senior Member
 
mprelaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 2,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You just earned yourself some serious HTFU points.
mprelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-12, 03:25 PM   #6
Zoxe
Senior Member
 
Zoxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Indianapolis!
Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Bianchi Imola, Surly Cross Check 105
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprelaw View Post
You just earned yourself some serious HTFU points.
Indeed. Great ride.
Zoxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-12, 04:30 PM   #7
Dad 2 3
Senior Member
 
Dad 2 3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincy Ohio
Bikes: Scott CR1 Elite
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprelaw View Post
You just earned yourself some serious HTFU points.
+1
Dad 2 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-12, 08:21 PM   #8
Black wallnut 
Senior Member
 
Black wallnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ellensburg,WA
Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux
Posts: 2,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
More like Rule #9. Thanks for the report magohn. Bad weather rides help us to enjoy good weather ones that much more. You're a hardman for not just turning around early.
__________________
Sir Mark, Knight of Sufferlandria
Black wallnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-12, 08:50 PM   #9
IndianaRecRider 
LET'S RIDE!!
 
IndianaRecRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Hoosier State
Bikes: 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.4
Posts: 1,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
After seeing the pics and reading your ride description, one word comes to mind.....Hardcore!

This is the first winter I've done this much outdoor riding and the only reason I've been riding outside this December is because our weather has been pretty decent as far as (south) Chicago winters go. Seeing and reading this gives me hope and motivation for myself when the weather finally turns nasty on me.

Thanks for sharing your ride.

__________________
Cycling....if you're not having fun, you're definitely doing it wrong!!
Please visit my ride video page at.... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrH...W_KbTZTJFZE5QA
Go Red Riders!!


IndianaRecRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-12, 09:00 PM   #10
magohn
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
magohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Woodinville, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black wallnut View Post
More like Rule #9. Thanks for the report magohn. Bad weather rides help us to enjoy good weather ones that much more. You're a hardman for not just turning around early.
Thanks all - I was fine as long as I was not descending. The combination of a soaked (ice water) skull cap and the freezing wind was brutal. Though, I often find these 'brutal' rides are the one that I look back on fondly.

One tip I did learn today. If its cold/raining, dont take the GoPro out of its housing. I took it out to take a few handheld pics and the housing immediately fogged up when I opened the housing. From then onwards all my pics were fogged. Oh well, you live and learn.

Last edited by magohn; 12-29-12 at 09:04 PM.
magohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-12, 09:00 PM   #11
magohn
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
magohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Woodinville, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaRecRider View Post
After seeing the pics and reading your ride description, one word comes to mind.....Hardcore!

This is the first winter I've done this much outdoor riding and the only reason I've been riding outside this December is because our weather has been pretty decent as far as (south) Chicago winters go. Seeing and reading this gives me hope and motivation for myself when the weather finally turns nasty on me.

Thanks for sharing your ride.

My pleasure - thanks for the support

Last edited by magohn; 12-29-12 at 09:52 PM.
magohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-12, 09:31 PM   #12
Mark Stone
Littledog
 
Mark Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southwest Desert
Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape 2
Posts: 2,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Very much enjoyed the narrative and the pictures - it made me want to go out for another ride today! Very nice bike, too. I agree with your sentiment in post 10 that these harder rides are the ones we look back on more fondly. Thanks.
Mark Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-12, 09:39 PM   #13
magohn
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
magohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Woodinville, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractorlegs View Post
Very much enjoyed the narrative and the pictures - it made me want to go out for another ride today! Very nice bike, too. I agree with your sentiment in post 10 that these harder rides are the ones we look back on more fondly. Thanks.
Thank you for the compliment. I love the Fantom! At first, I was hesitant as it was a BD bike. But after looking at the LBS I could not find a bike with disc brakes and a Rock Shox fork for less than $1100. So I took a chance on BD and its been an awesome bike. The ONLY issue I have had is a series of flats when I first got the bike. I would literally ride and flat every time. I then switched out the tubes for these slime tubes:

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-Smart-Sc...ef=pd_sbs_sg_3

and havent looked back. Not another flat. The bike is amazing as Im heavy at 280lbs and I almost feel bad for the bike when I hit the trails and go bouncing all over the place.
magohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-12, 11:21 PM   #14
aenlaasu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beautiful pictures and great ride story!

Makes me feel guilty for chickening out on a ride yesterday. I had a 10 mile loop planned, but when I got to my starting point, the weather had taken a foul turn. The winds had kicked up to about 30 mph, driving barely frozen snow that sucked the heat right out of 3 layers of wool and windproofing. One of those wool layers was heavy 400 g weight. I still considered going... until discovering my camera battery was dead. My camera is a huge motivator for me.

I did still ride, but just a brutal 5.5 miles around home. 5 mph average while pedaling like a mad-woman on roads and MUPs that nearly rattled the teeth out of my head. The joys of winter riding!
aenlaasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-12, 12:09 AM   #15
ZManT
Senior Member
 
ZManT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Boise, Idaho
Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.2, 2006 Felt F80
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good job toughing it out. It was a ***** I'm sure but you still had fun, I bet, and you now know you can handle those conditions, in a pinch.

My ride today was in clear, cold 20 degrees and my beard iced up pretty good
ZManT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-12, 09:01 AM   #16
magohn
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
magohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Woodinville, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aenlaasu View Post
Beautiful pictures and great ride story!

Makes me feel guilty for chickening out on a ride yesterday. I had a 10 mile loop planned, but when I got to my starting point, the weather had taken a foul turn. The winds had kicked up to about 30 mph, driving barely frozen snow that sucked the heat right out of 3 layers of wool and windproofing. One of those wool layers was heavy 400 g weight. I still considered going... until discovering my camera battery was dead. My camera is a huge motivator for me.

I did still ride, but just a brutal 5.5 miles around home. 5 mph average while pedaling like a mad-woman on roads and MUPs that nearly rattled the teeth out of my head. The joys of winter riding!
Thanks all.

Unfortunately I can't wear wool. I develop a rash. I stick to the 'cheap' breathable shirts that Target sells for $10 a piece. I think its made by Champion. Works well at wicking the moisture away.

Well, this AM its pouring again. Looks like its another day on the Cycleops trainer (and bad Sufferfest music) as my shoes are still wet from yesterday - boo too
magohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-12, 09:54 AM   #17
mprelaw
Senior Member
 
mprelaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 2,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I'm glad I was able to get in close to 40 yesterday, because between the early rain, the wet snow overnight, and temps falling to the mid-20s, we have about 2" of ice to deal with today. Not to mention, temps still below 30 and a 20-30 north wind with gusts to 40.

This time of the year, you take whatever miles nature gives you, in these parts. You can't bank on two winters in a row that were as mild as last year's.
mprelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-12, 09:59 AM   #18
magohn
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
magohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Woodinville, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprelaw View Post
Well, I'm glad I was able to get in close to 40 yesterday, because between the early rain, the wet snow overnight, and temps falling to the mid-20s, we have about 2" of ice to deal with today. Not to mention, temps still below 30 and a 20-30 north wind with gusts to 40.

This time of the year, you take whatever miles nature gives you, in these parts. You can't bank on two winters in a row that were as mild as last year's.
Nice
magohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-12, 10:03 AM   #19
magohn
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
magohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Woodinville, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BTW - Im so glad I opted for the 26" wheel and not the 29" wheel. I have a hard time manouvering tight corners as its is. I would imagine a 29" wheel could be problematic on a tight trail.
magohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-12, 10:03 AM   #20
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling
 
Beachgrad05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood, CA
Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, 12 Trek 4.5 Madone, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace
Posts: 2,762
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magohn View Post
Thanks all.

Unfortunately I can't wear wool. I develop a rash. I stick to the 'cheap' breathable shirts that Target sells for $10 a piece. I think its made by Champion. Works well at wicking the moisture away.

Well, this AM its pouring again. Looks like its another day on the Cycleops trainer (and bad Sufferfest music) as my shoes are still wet from yesterday - boo too
that is what I have for my base layer too
Beachgrad05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:12 PM.