Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Senior Member magohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    1,504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    So long and thanks for all the fish...

    Adios Muchachos!

    As I said 'hello' a few years ago I now want to say 'goodbye'.

    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ght=magohn+stp

    For me, the forum has become less about biking and more about clashes with personalities. That's not what I signed up for. The posts have definitely become darker over the years. I don't blame anyone, but I choose to move over to the 50+ forum and hang out there more often. I'm 49 next month so I've been checking it out over there for some time now anyways.

    I just wanted to thank you all for the excellent information over the years and that I have appreciated you all. I will check-in now and again so please leave a light on.

    Happy Trails!
    Last edited by magohn; 01-25-13 at 12:08 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member adrien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Rockhopper comp, Kona Kapu, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you find 42 over there in 50+.

    I slay me.

    I've been hanging out on the road forum more, so this place seems very nice to me, still. But I suspect this post of yours will prompt much self-reflection about enabling and validation vs. tough love, which I'd imagine is your intent.
    "how do you know you can't swim until you have drowned?"

  3. #3
    Senior Member magohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    1,504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adrien View Post
    I hope you find 42 over there in 50+.

    I slay me.

    I've been hanging out on the road forum more, so this place seems very nice to me, still. But I suspect this post of yours will prompt much self-reflection about enabling and validation vs. tough love, which I'd imagine is your intent.
    No - no intent.

    I'm just saying 'goodbye' to all and giving the reason for my departure. There's a lot of great advice here but Ive been around it long enough to know what to do. Now cycling at 50 yrs of age - that's a whole new horizon.

  4. #4
    Senior Member adrien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Rockhopper comp, Kona Kapu, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear
    Posts
    1,016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magohn View Post
    No - no intent.

    I'm just saying 'goodbye' to all and giving the reason for my departure. There's a lot of great advice here but Ive been around it long enough to know what to do. Now cycling at 50 yrs of age - that's a whole new horizon.
    Enjoy. And thanks for the suggestion of what series to recommend to my daughter next...
    "how do you know you can't swim until you have drowned?"

  5. #5
    Senior Member goldfinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota/Arizona and between
    My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Posts
    3,893
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I will visit 50 plus more. I certainly am 50 plus.

  6. #6
    Senior Member magohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    1,504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    Maybe I will visit 50 plus more. I certainly am 50 plus.
    See you over there!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    cherry hill, nj
    Posts
    5,929
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magohn View Post
    See you over there!
    Tae care Bro and when I come back to visit the PNW, lets get together.
    Feel free to visit my blog www.chefonabicycle.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member magohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    1,504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chefisaac View Post
    Tae care Bro and when I come back to visit the PNW, lets get together.

  9. #9
    Cat 5 field stuffer bbeasley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hammond, La
    My Bikes
    Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic
    Posts
    1,362
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoy!

    I'm too fat for 41s
    I'm not hip enough for FG/SS
    I'm too young for 50+ at 55 y/o

    I better stay here

  10. #10
    Senior Member magohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    1,504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeasley View Post
    Enjoy!

    I'm too fat for 41s
    I'm not hip enough for FG/SS
    I'm too young for 50+ at 55 y/o

    I better stay here
    Thanks - you must be an 'inbetweenie'.

  11. #11
    You gonna eat that? Doohickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Posts
    13,953
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magohn View Post
    I choose to move over to the 50+ forum
    They're not exclusive, you know. You can post in both as benefits you.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



    Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

  12. #12
    Senior Member magohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    1,504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
    They're not exclusive, you know. You can post in both as benefits you.
    I understand that. I just feel this particular forum has grown away from its initial goal (for me) and turned into something of a negative experience.

    Anyways, enough about that. I wish you all well and good luck with your 2013 goals!
    Last edited by magohn; 01-25-13 at 02:20 PM.

  13. #13
    Just Keep Pedaling Beachgrad05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lakewood, CA
    My Bikes
    99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 11 Trek 7.2 FX WSD, 12 Trek 4.5 Madone, 14 Bianchi Vigarelli
    Posts
    2,039
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    So long and thanks for all the fish...

    I will miss you. I'm a bit too young for the 50+ forum but might start lurking.

    Happy trails.

    If I do either STP or STV up there I hope to meet and say hello in person.
    Move along....nothing to see here....anymore.

  14. #14
    Senior Member mprelaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,852
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Settings>Edit Ignore List>Add Member Name.

    It's that easy.

    So far, no one has annoyed me to the point that I've used it. There's too much unintended humor in the posts from the one guy who'd be a leading candidate, but for utter cluelessness that's high comedy.

    Heck, I even enjoy the 41.

  15. #15
    Senior Member magohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    1,504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachgrad05 View Post
    I will miss you. I'm a bit too young for the 50+ forum but might start lurking.

    Happy trails.

    If I do either STP or STV up there I hope to meet and say hello in person.
    Thanks! Please do reach out if you do the STP.

  16. #16
    Senior Member magohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    1,504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mprelaw View Post
    Settings>Edit Ignore List>Add Member Name.

    It's that easy.

    So far, no one has annoyed me to the point that I've used it. There's too much unintended humor in the posts from the one guy who'd be a leading candidate, but for utter cluelessness that's high comedy.

    Heck, I even enjoy the 41.
    Its more complex than that. I don't have the time or interest to constantly fight battles as my good name is being disparaged. Simply ignoring certain people (I've tried) gives them free-range to say what they will with no rebuttal. I'd rather 'stop playing'
    Last edited by magohn; 01-25-13 at 03:36 PM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member howsteepisit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Mecian
    Posts
    2,905
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then go. I will see you aver at the 50+, but you don't have to drag this out. Or as the zen master said, don't try, do.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

    "Toes"

  18. #18
    Senior Member magohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    1,504
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    Then go. I will see you aver at the 50+, but you don't have to drag this out. Or as the zen master said, don't try, do.
    I'm not dragging anything out my friend. Simply responding to 'goodbyes' and comments.

    But alas, this will be my final post for awhile as I am about to leave on a trip and will be out of town for awhile. Onwards and upwards and all that.

    Thanks again everyone - it's been a pleasure, for the most part.

  19. #19
    [IMG]http://i4.photobucke jeepseahawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Inland Empire, CA
    Posts
    737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, one less washingtonian in the clyde forum, at least I still have Beachgrad05 even though she is a Cowboys fan!. In 5 years I will join you over in the 50 plus forum, frankly I think you are cheating though, 49 is 49 lol. This is still my favorite site, usually only one I post in, just peruse the others for knowledge.

    edit, still have chefisaac, hopefully he is a seahawk fan.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Magohn,
    Sorry to see you leave, just as i was getting to know you. Thanks for all your help with me, especially with the PM's. Good luck man.

  21. #21
    Senior Member bassjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9-4
    Posts
    896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepseahawk View Post
    Well, one less washingtonian in the clyde forum, at least I still have Beachgrad05 even though she is a Cowboys fan!. In 5 years I will join you over in the 50 plus forum, frankly I think you are cheating though, 49 is 49 lol. This is still my favorite site, usually only one I post in, just peruse the others for knowledge.

    edit, still have chefisaac, hopefully he is a seahawk fan.
    isaac's an East Coaster....

  22. #22
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bassjones View Post
    isaac's an East Coaster....
    But one who spent a lot of time in Washington State.

  23. #23
    Senior Member eja_ bottecchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,407
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that "negativity" is exclusive to the C&A sub-forum. The Internet is a microcosm of life, so here you will find the same good, bad and ugly that you will find in life...only difference is that life does not have a convenient "ignore" button.

    Happy trails!
    My current stable:

    1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

  24. #24
    Senior Member mprelaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,852
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magohn View Post
    Its more complex than that. I don't have the time or interest to constantly fight battles as my good name is being disparaged. Simply ignoring certain people (I've tried) gives them free-range to say what they will with no rebuttal. I'd rather 'stop playing'
    Here's the way I look at that. The people that know me away from a website, well, they know me. They're not going to let their opinion of me change because of the way I interact with people online, and they certainly aren't going to think any less of me because an anonymous internet troller disparages me and/or my good name. As for the people who don't now me, their opinion of me doesn't usually matter. Now, here's where it gets sticky. You become part of an online community on forums like this one, the 50, and a few others. So then this creates this air of fellowship, and then, I guess, your concerns have more weight.

    The bottom line for you, me, and everyone else here is that this is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, it's time for a break. You'll be back some day, in all likelihood.

  25. #25
    The Left Coast, USA FrenchFit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,414
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seldom end up where you wanted to go, but almost always where you need to be. - DA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •