Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Senior Member skilsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Victoria, Canada
    My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Posts
    1,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    When did we stop drinking water?

    I know, I know... there's electrolytes, salts, and trace elements that we need too.

    Growing up, language was simple. I had a glass of water. Now, I hydrate myself. (?) and nobody drinks water any more. Going forward, I'd like to see simple language used in Bike Forum.

    Going Forward is one of my pet peeves too. Why can't it simply be, "In the future..."
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Big Pete 1982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Chelan, WA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD-10
    Posts
    389
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
    I know, I know... there's electrolytes, salts, and trace elements that we need too.

    Growing up, language was simple. I had a glass of water. Now, I hydrate myself. (?) and nobody drinks water any more. Going forward, I'd like to see simple language used in Bike Forum.

    Going Forward is one of my pet peeves too. Why can't it simply be, "In the future..."
    Well, unless it's really hot out, I just drink water when I ride. On a long ride in the summer, like a century ride where I go through a lot of liquid, I go about every 3rd bottle with an electrolyte tab.

    The really disturbing thing about the "hydration" craze though is that it's marketed to kids. Gatorade isn't really a sports drink anymore. It's flavored sugar water.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Shimagnolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Zang's Spur, CO
    Posts
    6,468
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Water? Like...in the toilet?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vw2CrY9Igs


  4. #4
    Lover of Old Chrome Moly Myosmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NW Minnesota
    Posts
    2,544
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We drank the Kool Aid, so to speak, sold to us by those marketing hydration products. Yes, you lose electrolytes to sweat and urine. Yes, you need to replace them in a timely manner. Yes, you need to stay adequately (but not overly) hydrated. No, we do not need to guzzle down liter after liter of overpriced "electrolyte supplements". A granola bar with nuts and fruit has all the sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium you need along with a mix of fast and slow digested carbs and some fats to smooth out the glycemic curve. Learn to judge hydration by listening to your body. Your urine should be pale yellow and you should need to pee every 2-4 hours. You should be able to swallow and spit, the veins in the back of your hand should not be flat, you should not be light headed, and you should be sweating appropriately to the conditions and activity level. Problems like hyponatremia (low sodium levels) are real but they don't happen at the drop of a hat just because you crack a sweat. Drink adequate amounts of water by sipping frequently when you ride and eat some real food snacks like the ever popular Fig Newtons every hour or so and most people will be just fine. If you are an elite endurance athlete training in the Arizona desert in August, you might need a more advanced plan for hydration and electrolyte replacement, but you still don't want to go at it willy-nilly. The old "more is better" mentality when it comes to hydration and electrolytes is outdated.
    Lead, follow or get out of the way

  5. #5
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,339
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that Hydro Fracking is the new energy boom, When you could light it on Fire?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Santa Cruz, Ca
    Posts
    398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just drink water when I ride.

    I think a few times I remembered to grab a gatorade or something so I got more calories, but water works fine for me if I don't want more calories.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Medic Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
    Posts
    2,034
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
    Water? Like...in the toilet?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vw2CrY9Igs

    Beat me to it!

    brawndo.jpg
    Everyone hates your lights. Throw them away & buy something civilized.

  8. #8
    Senior Member tergal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Logan, QLD ,Australia
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300
    Posts
    788
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fish do horrible things in water ....
    Tact is for people who arenít witty enough to use sarcasm.

    Early helplessness is the price we pay for later brilliance. Or, at least our later capacity for non-idiocy

  9. #9
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    8,039
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh, a pet peeve thread. I DETEST when people say "At this time". How tough is it to say "now"?

    As for water, I drink loads of water every day. I have a nice reverse osmosis system installed under the sink and it's delicious.

  10. #10
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete 1982 View Post
    Well, unless it's really hot out, I just drink water when I ride. On a long ride in the summer, like a century ride where I go through a lot of liquid, I go about every 3rd bottle with an electrolyte tab.

    The really disturbing thing about the "hydration" craze though is that it's marketed to kids. Gatorade isn't really a sports drink anymore. It's flavored sugar water.
    I've also seen children buying Five Hour Energy. What have we come to that CHILDREN need stimulant drugs?!?

  11. #11
    Neil_B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Myosmith View Post
    We drank the Kool Aid, so to speak, sold to us by those marketing hydration products. Yes, you lose electrolytes to sweat and urine. Yes, you need to replace them in a timely manner. Yes, you need to stay adequately (but not overly) hydrated. No, we do not need to guzzle down liter after liter of overpriced "electrolyte supplements". A granola bar with nuts and fruit has all the sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium you need along with a mix of fast and slow digested carbs and some fats to smooth out the glycemic curve. Learn to judge hydration by listening to your body. Your urine should be pale yellow and you should need to pee every 2-4 hours. You should be able to swallow and spit, the veins in the back of your hand should not be flat, you should not be light headed, and you should be sweating appropriately to the conditions and activity level. Problems like hyponatremia (low sodium levels) are real but they don't happen at the drop of a hat just because you crack a sweat. Drink adequate amounts of water by sipping frequently when you ride and eat some real food snacks like the ever popular Fig Newtons every hour or so and most people will be just fine. If you are an elite endurance athlete training in the Arizona desert in August, you might need a more advanced plan for hydration and electrolyte replacement, but you still don't want to go at it willy-nilly. The old "more is better" mentality when it comes to hydration and electrolytes is outdated.
    Also, water doesn't give you the "sloshy nausea" Gatorade and other 'hydration' products do. Witness the mighty Sayre Kulp felled after his first century.




  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ridge Manor FL
    My Bikes
    2005 Cannondale Street
    Posts
    160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the water.

  13. #13
    2 Fat 2 Furious contango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Posts
    3,997
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_B View Post
    I've also seen children buying Five Hour Energy. What have we come to that CHILDREN need stimulant drugs?!?
    It's a lifestyle statement. Just as we see people ordering a monster bacon-and-cheese-with-extra-lard-burger, jumbo fries and a Diet Coke, we see people constantly sipping at a bottle of branded mineral water while stuffing their face with cheesy fries, now we see people drinking sports drinks even though the closest they ever go to the gym is when they drive past on the way to the fast food joint.
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Philly
    My Bikes
    IF SCJ SE, Surly LHT, BikeFriday NWT, Cannondale M300, Raleigh 700
    Posts
    4,387
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going forward, I'll drink to this thread.

  15. #15
    Senior Member howsteepisit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Mecian
    Posts
    2,988
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Here's to plain speaking and clear understanding" - Casper Guttman

    This wisdom no longer applies.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

    "Toes"

  16. #16
    Senior Member Shimagnolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Zang's Spur, CO
    Posts
    6,468
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil_B View Post
    I've also seen children buying Five Hour Energy. What have we come to that CHILDREN need stimulant drugs?!?
    The really disgusting thing is how this guy became filthy rich selling that crap: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manoj_Bhargava

  17. #17
    Senior Member howsteepisit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Mecian
    Posts
    2,988
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to cite Wikipedia, you should also read that consumer reports states that the product actually works. Hence calling it "crap" seems unduly harsh from your own reference. One thing to note re 5 hr energy is that it does not contain a megadose of caffeine, its mostly B vitamins with a few other things thrown in. Not that I am a big fan of any of the energy drinks, just object to your classification when the products works as claimed.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

    "Toes"

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Potashville
    My Bikes
    Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566
    Posts
    1,080
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still drink water. I can't stand the taste of most of those electrolyte products. If I'm on a long ride and need a little something extra, I'll just mix 2 parts water to one part fruit juice such as orange or a citrus mix. I also prefer dried apricots and a handfull of nuts to the fancy packaged energy bars. It's cheaper, simpler, and not as cloyingly sweet.

  19. #19
    SuperGimp TrojanHorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Whittier, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    8,039
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
    The really disgusting thing is how this guy became filthy rich selling that crap: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manoj_Bhargava
    Why is it disgusting that a guy works his tail off & is successful?

    And the way he wastes his money! What an a-hole!

    Bhargava's foundations include Knowledge Medical Charitable Trust and Rural India Charitable Trust. He has contractually pledged a billion dollar gift to the charities. The charities have funded medical research in the United States and over 400 charities in India.[19] Two of the major initiatives are hospitals for the poor and education for disadvantaged women in rural areas.[20] The Hans Foundation, a charitable organization, is solely supported by Rural India.[21] In September 2012, he joined the Giving Pledge (www.givingpledge.org)

  20. #20
    Senior Member antimonysarah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Medford, MA
    My Bikes
    Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX
    Posts
    344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, before sports drinks were all the rage, I used to take diluted fruit juice with me on rides, and when I got home I tended to chug warm miso broth. Combine the two and you basically have the profile of an electrolyte drink. And I'd hit on that just because of listening to what tasted really really good at the time and assuming that was what my body wanted.

    I tend to make my own sports drinks, now, to make them less sweet (and using real sugar or fruit juice, not corn syrup) and less chemical-tasting.

  21. #21
    2 Fat 2 Furious contango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    England
    My Bikes
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Posts
    3,997
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
    Going forward, I'll drink to this thread.
    Meh, I'll hydrate myself to this thread.
    "For a list of ways technology has failed to improve quality of life, press three"

  22. #22
    Senior Member Medic Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
    Posts
    2,034
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    If you are going to cite Wikipedia, you should also read that consumer reports states that the product actually works. Hence calling it "crap" seems unduly harsh from your own reference. One thing to note re 5 hr energy is that it does not contain a megadose of caffeine, its mostly B vitamins with a few other things thrown in. Not that I am a big fan of any of the energy drinks, just object to your classification when the products works as claimed.

    In my experience, it is more like "3 hour energy" or 2.5 hour energy. YMMV

    At the time I was working 12 hour overnight shifts in the ICU, then went directly to class in the morning. After Algebra and English, I finally had Chemistry at 1PM. Nothing I could do would keep me awake all the way through Chemistry, including 5 hour energy. I seemed to do a little better if I took it an hour or two before the class, but taking it at 9AM was useless for me.

    Besides, it didn't hydrate me at all!
    Everyone hates your lights. Throw them away & buy something civilized.

  23. #23
    The cat says Merry Xmas Pamestique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Posts
    4,478
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Water was, is and will always be my drink of choice. If I need electrolytes I use GU or Shok Blocs or Sports Beans... yes I tried all those energy drinks... they all made me sick and frankly were hard to choke down. I found myself getting dehydrated cause I didn't like the taste and thus would not drink. If I am doing a long ride (metric to century) then I do the old fashion thing... I bring along a water bottle filled with flat Coke. I like the taste and the caffeine and sugar are just want I need...
    ______________________________________________________________

    Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    My Bikes
    Opus Andante/Parleez5i/Burley Tosa Tandem
    Posts
    2,130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fancy drinks make me ill so I just drink water, I drink about 3-5 liters of it a day anyway no mater what I'm doing. On rides I use up 1.5l for about 100km. I do however use etabs, they work for ME so I will continue with them.
    Best thing about cycling is when I'm at work I'm thinking of cycling, when I'm cycling I'm thinking about cycling.

  25. #25
    Senior Member howsteepisit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Mecian
    Posts
    2,988
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I make my own fancy drinks, with Kool-ade, Sugar, and Morton's lite salt for potassium and sodium. I only use when riding more than a hour or so, but at least its cheap. I think its probably unneeded, and water really does suffice in most cases. But I have to be hydrated, saw it on TV!
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

    "Toes"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •